Thursday, December 15, 2011

Golden Globe Nominations 2011

By s. Thursday, December 15, 2011 , ,
Ryan Gosling in "Ides of March"
Best Motion Picture - Drama
The Descendants (2011)
The Help (2011)
Hugo (2011)
The Ides of March (2011)
Moneyball (2011)
War Horse (2011)

I'm so happy that someone finally noticed "The Ides of March". You guys know what is even more beautiful? "The Tree of Life" is not nominated! Yes! Finally that boring shell parading as the truth absolute was omitted!What's missing? "Shame".And Harry Potter but I think we all have to face the fact - apparantly boring "Return of the King" can take 11 Academy Awards, but lovely "Deathly Hallows" will only stand a chance in technical categories. I think either "The Descendants" or "The Help" will win, but the former has better chance.
Michelle Williams in "My week with Marilyn"
Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
The Artist (2011)
Bridesmaids (2011)
50/50 (2011)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
My Week with Marilyn (2011)

I had absolutely no idea that "My week with Marilyn" will be considered in this category. Good lord, Williams sings few songs and it's a musical? Too bad "Crazy, Stupid, Love" didn't get in, but I'm happy to see "50/50" and "Midnight in Paris" in the race. "The Artist" is winning considering how eccatic the reviews for it are.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
George Clooney for The Descendants (2011)
Leonardo DiCaprio for J. Edgar (2011)
Michael Fassbender for Shame (2011)
Ryan Gosling for The Ides of March (2011)
Brad Pitt for Moneyball (2011)

I'm just so happy for Fassy I could die. And Gosling getting nominated for "The Ides of March" instead of "Drive" is a very pleasant surprise, he was excellent there even more so than as a disturbed driver. DiCaprio is from what I gathered nominated because it's DiCaprio. The showdown will probably play out between Pitt and Clooney. Clooney's killing here by the way - he's got noms for movie, director, actor...seeing how he is not winning for movie and directing, I'm betting he will win. But Pitt is the second in the race. Ironically I don't think those performances are even half as good as what Fassbender and Gosling were doing in each of their movies this year.
Michael Fassbender in "Shame"


Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs (2011)
Viola Davis for The Help (2011)
Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady (2011)
Tilda Swinton for We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

Rooney Mara, finally there is some recognition for her! I'm eagerly awaiting the movie and I'm shocked that after last year win for "The Social Network" it didn't get Best Picture nom. The Globe will probably go to Viola Davis and here I am, still wondering if she really is leading in this movie.
Anna Kendrick and Joseph Gordon Levitt in "50/50"
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Jean Dujardin for The Artist (2011)
Brendan Gleeson for The Guard (2011)
Joseph Gordon-Levitt for 50/50 (2011)
Ryan Gosling for Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011)
Owen Wilson for Midnight in Paris (2011)

So happy for Gosling, again, he was absolutely amazing this year in everything he did. Levitt's performance was a stunner and I still don't have any idea who Jean Dujardin is and seeing how he has a big chance at winning I better find out. Soon. I predict Gosling will take this one, seeing how he won't win in Drama and AMPAS is always eager to give praise for something extra not just performance in the movie- and it was his year.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Jodie Foster for Carnage (2011)
Charlize Theron for Young Adult (2011)
Kristen Wiig for Bridesmaids (2011)
Michelle Williams for My Week with Marilyn (2011)
Kate Winslet for Carnage (2011)

Well at least this year there was plenty of comedies for them to nominate from so we don't have another "The Tourist" fiasco. Happy to see Theron here, I'm awaiting the film eagerly.It looks like very fun performance and I think every great dramatic actress should try doing comedy, at least once. Theron seems to be doing very well and the film appears to be entertaining.
Charlize Theron in "Young Adult"
Christopher Plummer and Ewan McGregor in "Beginners"
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Kenneth Branagh for My Week with Marilyn (2011)
Albert Brooks for Drive (2011)
Jonah Hill for Moneyball (2011)
Viggo Mortensen for A Dangerous Method (2011)
Christopher Plummer for Beginners (2010)

The category is shit - I don't even remember Brooks in "Drive", I loathe Branagh, I like Hill in comedies but this is just ridiculous and Mortensen's performance as much as one of the very few good things in it felt very forced and flat. Plummer is a clear winner, so there you go - it's lame and boring. I'm  not even gonna start thinking about Alan Rickman being snubbed again. I can't cry today.
Jessica Chastain in "The Help"
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Bérénice Bejo for The Artist (2011)
Jessica Chastain for The Help (2011)
Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs (2011)
Octavia Spencer for The Help (2011)
Shailene Woodley for The Descendants (2011)

We avoided the outrage that would be caused if Melissa McCarthy from "Bridesmaids" got in. Too bad - she created truly great performance there. I think it's a safe bet Chastain is winning and she deserves it too. Also - I'm guessing I'm watching "Albert Nobbs" tonight, then. Btw, this is the most packed category this year - Carey Mulligan, Bryce Dallas Howard, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Marion Cotillard...so many actresses are going to get overlooked.

All in all, huge improvement from the disaster that was last year.

3 comments:

  1. Devastated about the WAR HORSE inclusion. Seriously. Wait until you see it. This, overall, is better than the SGA, and I think it makes some of the categories pretty clear. Still some head scratchers, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you appreciate the awesomeness of this Best Actor race as well. Fassy, for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SAG nominations are a huge joke, Fassbender not being there is just crazy. So is AFI's list of top 10 movies and the inclusion of Bridesmaids, I mean it's a good movie, but come on.
    War Horse seems awful, I have no interest in seeing it, but since it got nominated I'll have to :/

    ReplyDelete