Friday, February 17, 2012

(14) + links

By Sati. Friday, February 17, 2012
  • So how was everyone's Valentine's day? I spent my learning labor law. Saucy!
  • Apparently the posters for next Hazanavicius-Dujardin collaboration caused quite an outrage in France. Women found the poster to be "sexist" and got offended. I think the posters are hilarious and I definitely want to see the movie. And if I was the chick in front of Dujardin on that poster...
  • I have a lot of potentially disturbing movies to watch - Incendies, A Separation, Hour of the Wolf, Videodrome...I also plan to watch "You've got Mail".  I'm just gonna go ahead and enjoy one of the most beautiful and completely adorable romantic comedies ever made tonight. I love Meg Ryan, she is simply irreplaceable. I look on all the actresses starring in romantic comedies nowadays and none of them posses the kind of charm Ryan shone in 80's and 90's. 
  • I finally learned how to make animated gifs as you can see on the right. Took me some time to figure this out, but I was so happy when I clicked the play button and Jean and Berenice started dancing.
  • I saw "My Week with Marilyn" yesterday. It was bad. My review will be posted in few hours. For now let's just say the brightest moments of the screening were "The Artist" and "Shame" trailers before the film. I really should have gone to see "The Artist" again instead. Seeing "Shame" again would make me suicidal, probably.
  • They showed menu for Oscar's party in the news today. It looked so gross!
  • Speaking of the parties I'm going on the ball tomorrow. Yesterday I attempted to buy a dress, which I did not succeed in. In the result I'm wearing something I already have, unfortunately it's all black. After few drinks I may just start scaring people, walking around and looking creepy as the chick in "The Woman in Black". I'm not a girly girl - I do not own thousands pairs of shoes, I do not enjoy dancing, shopping, having my hair brushed etc. But I'm looking forward to catching up with people tomorrow.
  • Uggie won first ever Golden Collar award this week given to pets in movies for their outstanding work. But few days ago I learned that he wasn't even invited to Oscars yet! What the hell? The Academy can't even nominate right movies and people and now I find out they are also incapable of inviting a dog? How hard is that? You send a basket of sausages to his villa in Miami and attach an invite. A freaking monkey could have done that.
  • Some links for all of you to check out:
  • Aziza wrote about "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", one of my all time favorites.
  • Bonjour Tristesse wrote an amazing recap of Berlin Film Festival
  • Chris did a wonderful review for "American Psycho" one of my favorite movies, based on my all time favorite book.
  • Straight from creative mind of Stevee here is a conversation with "The Beaver"
  • Scott lists Top 10 Gangster Movies Based on Real Life Events
  • In the spirit of Valentine's Day Alex writes beautiful piece about 11 Film Couples That Have Stayed With Him

20 comments:

  1. Thanks Sati for the link! Always love checking out your blog!
    p.s. I don't know why the French people were so insulted by that poster- I've seen worse, this is actually funny, and come on...it has Jean Dujardin in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, everything that has Jean should only cause outrage because of how awesome he is :)

      Delete
  2. I'm gonna watch the new Hazanavicius-Dujardin collaboration based on poster alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! The trailer is pretty great too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link, Sati. I've received a ridiculous amount of hits from this link alone, so thanks!

    Can't wait to read your thoughts about Incendies, Hour of the Wolf and A Separation. All great films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will review Incendies and A Separation this week, I'm still gaining strength to see HotW, as with every Bergman I suspect it will be a lot to handle :)

      Delete
  4. That poster is awesome! The French can be so cheeky, sometimes.

    I hope you have a good time at the ball! I had a blast at mine, but I ended up losing my voice for a good hour afterwards and everyone kept laughing at me.

    OMG, new ambition in life: to get my puppy to the Golden Collar awards.

    And thank you for the link! I hope you like Incendies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a puppy? It turns out I passed my 7th term of studies so my mother finally agreed and we just order a dog :) I've been going on and on about wanting to have one for two years now ^^

      Delete
  5. Sati, thank you for the link!

    I also look forward to reading what you have to say about those 'disturbing films'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure what is happening, but almost all of the pictures here are simply appearing as a black box with a dash in the middle of a circle. I've tried refreshing a few times, but I got the same thing.

    If you love You've Got Mail, have you seen the other two versions of the story? They are The Shop Around the Corner and In the Good Old Summertime. Don't make me hand in my Man Card, but I've seen all three.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All fixed now :)
    I didn't seen them, I will have to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all the pictures are coming through fine. Thanks.

      The Shop Around the Corner (1940) is a classic Christmas movie with Jimmy Stewart and is the better of the two. In the Good Old Summertime (1949) stars Judy Garland and is similar. In both movies the man and woman are secret penpals.

      I actually saw the 1949 version first, the You've Got Mail, and then the classic 1940 original last. Definitely see the 1940 one. See the 1949 one only for completeness' sake or because you like the stars.

      Delete
    2. Oh that's awesome, I was trying to find some good old movies recently so I will definetly see those two soon!

      Delete
  9. All fixed.

    Now that I can see the poster in question I don't see what the problem is. He's obviously helping a woman whose feet are too swollen to remove from her shoes. By holding her feet in the air, he's going to ensure the swelling goes down. The poor thing might even have been moaning from the swelling. It seems like a very gentlemanly thing for him to do. (Some people are so dirty minded, don't you think?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely. I think it just shows what a helpful and kind gentelman he is :) But to be honest it's hard not to be dirty minded when you are looking at this guy ^^

      Delete
  10. Just stumbled across your blog... it's great! I'm a new movie blogger myself so I love coming across fellow bloggers. Looking forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your blog is absolutely gorgeous!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the shout-out! American Psycho is an interesting story to review

    ReplyDelete