Friday, March 2, 2012

(16) Sunday, when the universe exploded + links

By Sati. Friday, March 2, 2012
Uggie preparing for Oscars
  • A lot of things happened during the Oscars - Sasha Baron Cohen threw ashes on Ryan Seacrest, Uggie wore 18-carat gold necklace and then there were two moments that were incredibly sweet that I discovered on tumblr - here and here.
  • 6 years I learned French. I can read in it but I can't follow what is being said. The one time it came in handy was actually during Oscars - I caught the word Dujardin used in his native language. ABC apparently didn't, since they didn't beep it. The only thing cuter than him shouting it was him apologizing for doing so.
  • The amount of Uggie and Jean cuteness on tumblr is exceeding all possible limits of human endurance. Once I see it I practically can't get anything done hours after because I feel as if I was chasing unicorns while sitting on rainbows.
  • Jean Dujardin was almost trampled when he returned to France - he got back there almost immediately after Oscars and he showed up on the airport proudly holding his Oscar. People just freaked out and the police was basically forming a special way for him to go through safely. They are just beaming with joy over there - even the president passed his congratulations to the lovely people who brought us "The Artist"
  • I kept telling my mother to go see "The Artist" for weeks now. She said "Nah, it's a black and white silent movie!". Then she saw 5 seconds of Dujardin in the news when he got his Oscar and she went to see the movie the following day after shouting "Woah he is so hot!". Well,  like mother, like daughter. She loved the movie by the way - I don't know why she was under impression it won't have the music, but as soon as "George Valentin" played she was hooked on it. 
  • Meryl Streep was the luckiest woman on Earth last Sunday. And I'm not referring to her 3rd Oscar win.
  • 2 of my neighbours bought Jack Russells. Uggie is seriously inspiring people.
  • I've been watching a lot of the trailers lately. " Hunger Games" looks ridiculous and the amount of shitty CGI-loaded blockbusters that is about to fall on us is just overwhelming.
  • Scarlett Johansson is set to play Janet Leigh in "Making of Psycho". The project looks very interesting.
  • I saw "Videodrome" for the first time last night. It was great, definitely one of my favorite films by Cronenberg. 
  • Snooki is pregnant. The end is near.
  • I can't write my dissertation form the subject I chose, because, and get this, my University can't guarantee that you write from the subject you want to - I signed up for History, but only 2 more people followed and the minimum is 8. So now I have to write my dissertation on which I will spend about a year of my life from Criminal Procedure, This is just nuts.
  • The staff people get offended by amazes me. First there were cries of outrage when "American Horror Story" featured school shooting in one of the episodes. Now Mad Men ad campaign is causing people to shout in outrage because...the image of a falling man is remidning them of 9/11. Ridiculous.
  •  Next week "Shame" review and "Young Adult" analysis are coming up on the blog, so stay tuned!
Links:
  • Cherokee wrote brilliant article about Bridesmaids
  • Alex has very cool Oscar tradition which I'm tempted to try out next year
  • Andy wrote great review of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
  • Bonjour Tristesse reviews Opera, a brilliant movie by Dario Argento

22 comments:

  1. The fact that Ryan Seacrest got ashes spill on him is an indication that nobody really likes that douchebag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was pretty hilarious but what's even better was how Sasha kept explaining himself as the security pulled him away from stunned Seacrest :D

      Delete
  2. THE JEAN AND GEORGE ADORABLENESS!!!! ZOMG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I nearly fainted when I saw those gifs ^^

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean when you talk about dissertation, I am struggling with it, as well!
    I wouldn't count out Hunger Games- the presales of tickets is already overcoming Twilight and trust me, the books and the movie are better than Twilight. Actually, you should try reading the first book, I have a feeling you might like it. Stevee and other girls love it, it's pretty addictive after a while. I am actually excited to see the movie, I think it will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will wait for DVD to see the movie, the story seems nice but the trailers for the film are so bad, I'm sure Lawrence will be great and possibly there will be memorable visuals, but it just looks like typical PG-13 blockbuster.

      Delete
  4. That Sacha Baron Cohen bit was my favorite part of the oscars. Nothing against Dujardin or Bejo but Uggie was my favorite actor in The Artist. Not sure how I feel about that making of Psycho, could be the colorized remake has me scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more of Hitchock's biopic so they will only include few scenes from Psycho remade.

      Delete
  5. M Streep got her act together and didn't forget her glasses or drop her shoe ( : Her oscar speech was fun and seemed genuine. I read a recent interview where she confessed to probably having written more un-used oscar speeches than anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised she didn't lose anything on that stage! I like Streep a lot, her win wasn't deserved but at least she is a class act and there have been many wins for much worse roles in the past.

      Delete
  6. Wait...Snooki is pregnant? Oh for the love of all things holy. This is why we can't have nice things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they told us 2012 is the end and we didn't listen :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting those pictures of Jean and George together, as I somehow missed them.

    I can totally understand the French pride, and it is well deserved. Funny though how your mom wouldn't listen to you but did go see The Artist after a 5 second commercial. Make sure to remind her of that the next time you are recommending a film and she doesn't pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my mother never listens to me :) The only movies we always watch together and it's a given we will are the ones with Clooney - we are both big fans :)
      But when I told her to watch King's Speech she went to see it, although, again I feel the fact Firth was in it was a more important factor than my words ^^

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the link! I do love that tradition, but I would love it more if the films I wanted to win actually DID win from time to time. Nothing against The Artist though - great flick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda got used to the fact that the films I would love to win are not the movies Academy likes - like In Bruges or Black Swan. The one time I was truly pissed off was when Brokeback and Atonement lost - they are both in Academy's favorite genre - Romance - maybe it was that bit of a twist in the plot and the fact they were both quite controversial which cost them their BP win.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE Atonement, but I don't think it stood a chance against No Country and TWBB. Brokeback, on the other hand, lost because the old, white men who make up a majority of the Academy weren't ready to give their highest honor to the "gay cowboy movie." Stupid.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it was quite shocking, the timing to award a movie like that seemed perfect. And Crash as much as it was enjoyable is just so...unimportant.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the link, Sati! Loving the Uggie love on your blog, too. God, he's adorable.

    And the Johannson project looks interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love all your articles!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the link Sati! So glad you enjoyed the review. I was nervous about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's really a great review.

      Delete