Friday, August 3, 2012

(38) Apocalypse Now, the Yorkie Edition + links

By Sati. Friday, August 3, 2012
  • Killing Them Softly - can we just talk about how great the first trailer for the movie is? The visuals look a lot like Drive, it's always great to see Richard Jenkins and James Gandolfini on screen and Brad Pitt looks seriously hot. Also the film is directed by Andrew Dominik whose last movie is fabulous The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford. And using Johnny Cash's songs in trailers is always a great move.
  • Bizarre first trailer for The Paperboy was released this week. I'm saying bizarre because it looks very poorly put together and amateurish, but since it was made by Lee Daniels who was behind quite well made Precious I hope this will not be the case with the actual movie. Also I'm pretty sure Nicole Kidman is a lock for best actress nomination, she looks like absolute trash in it but also appears to be quite charming and adorably naive.
  • The Counsellor shooting began this week in London. First photos from the set reveal Brad Pitt in cowboy hat and Michael Fassbender in a suit. Delicious! I only wish Diaz and Cruz weren't in this. They both look like ducks. No wonder Tom Cruise kept confusing them in Vanilla Sky. I really like the picture of both of the actors laughing as Ridley Scott is talking to them
  • I don't watch the Olympics and I only saw a bit of opening ceremony but the pissed off look on The Queen's face genuinely cracked me up.
  • It turns out two of my favorite actresses were born this month. Photoshop and tumblr, here I come. And Taxi Driver/Drive Visual Parallels post is growing with each day too.
  • I have not stopped listening to TDKR soundtrack since last Friday, It's always on unless I'm actually worried I'm walking down the street humming Batman theme and then I promptly change the music to Off to the Races by Lana Del Rey. Singing that is better than humming Batman theme - I'm running less of a risk to be committed against my will this way.
  • I basically saw reenactment of Apocalypse Now when I took Gustav to the vet for his hair cut appointment. Jesus. She wanted to trim hair on his head, he would turn his ass to her. She would trim hair on ears he would whimper so bad all the dogs in the waiting room started barking. It took about 40 minutes and every time she would get close to his ears he would start to frantically move around which made me so nervous I actually had to close my eyes. It was 3 days ago and he is still seriously pissed off that I brought him there. But he looks adorable! Also he is not as bad as other Yorkies in less extreme situations. My friend has two Yorkies and they both have car sickness. So whenever they are in the car it's eventful, to say the least. How does Gustav find riding in a car? He loves it!
  • Legal training is over and I'm kinda glad cause I'm really tired and I need to retake labor law exam next month so pretty soon I have to hit the books hard. This week I made whole bunch of copies, read thousands of pages, wrote a lot of things and saw the photos of a dog whose owner wanted to throw him off the balcony. It was just awful. The guy actually hit that poor creature with a shovel. And to think he will get 2 years in prison at the most, but with most likelihood will go free, because parole it's really not that big of a deal -it's just repulsive to me. Honestly there is a lot of terrible things people do but to hit a dog with a shovel so much he is bleeding or to put him in the washing machine and turn it on....some people are waste of oxygen. Pure and simple.
  • I also read the letters inmates wrote since we have to check if they aren't admitting to anything illegal in those. There is this guy who actually brutally attracted women yet he writes 10 page-long love letters to his fiance with some of the worst spelling and corniest phrases I've seen. I think they write them like this to piss us off, after 3 pages you feel actual pain reading those so they can always count you will give up and stop reading and write something about the case buried in the drawings of hearts and smiley faces (that's right, there are drawings there) and there is a good chance you can omit that. Well not me. I got through Unborn, I can get through that too.
  • You guys know what never failed to crack me up in Nolan's Batman Trilogy? The way Alfred cleverly dissed Bruce on various occasions. "Charming", "Fascinating. You should exchange notes over coffee", "Whenever you stitch yourself up you make a bloody mess" and of course who can forget that gem:
also there are many scenes where Alfred is carrying the tray, walks in the bedroom and Bruce is not there. In TDKR it just begged for this:

  • So I picked up where I left off with The Wire. It's awesome of course but the real highlight was Idris in tuxedo, holy hell!
  •  I've been rewatching Breaking Bad since it's a great show and I never saw season 4 and now it's already season 5. Currently I'm on season 3. Skyler is such a bitch!!!
  • Thanks to those two series I only saw two movies in last 7 days - first one was beautiful and very impressive for a debut Earrings by Alex Withrow which is the movie of the month on my blog. Go check it out and let Alex know what you think of it! Another was The Reaping which wasn't bad, it was set in Louisiana after all and that's always an extra point from me. Also Idris made it alive nearly through the entire movie and was shirtless in numerous scnes. Now if you have a hot actor in mediocre movie at least make him do that. Well done!
  • We need to have more interviews with Christian Bale that show him as relaxed cool guy. As this one from long time ago:
 

 links:
  • Eric loved The Dark Knight Rises
  • Andina continues her great Movie Influence series with my ramblings on Black Swan
  • Cherokee writes about really crazy sex scene in Splice
  • Lesya posted a love letter from movie goers to NYC, highlighting some of the movies that took place there - in her next instalment of "In Genres"
  • Diana reviews Earrings
  • Here are two more reviews of Earrings over at On Page and Screen - one written by Stephanie and another by her daughter Sarah.
  • Bonjour Tristesse reviews The Piano, one of the most stunning films I've seen.
  • Steven reviews The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which is one of the movies I gave 10/10 to. 
  • ruth reviews Mirror Mirror and Angel and her review is much more enjoyable than watching these two films.

40 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link, Sati. I can't say I didn't laugh at the image at the bottom haha, classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Can't wait for more posts in that series.

      Delete
  2. My favorite part of the Olympics so far was Boyle's sketch of Daniel Craig accompanying the Queen looking all 007. you can see she's excited.
    http://www.flicksandbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/daniel-craig-queen-olmpics.jpg

    Gustav looks so cute! One of the reasons I don't want to follow that crime part of Law is because I really don't wanna deal with all those psychos who get away with everything. I know I'd be crying for that freaking dog for a whole week.

    Alfred is the best, I love how he tears down Bruce's playboy facade every time. Bale kinda got a reputation for being unlikeable in interviews, but honestly, with all those stupid questions and greasy weasels sniffing his every move I don't blame him.

    Fassavoy will never get old, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, here she definetly wasn't pissed off :)

      Yeah that part is really tough. I'm oddly all right when it comes to people doing shit to each other, but when someone abuses helpless dog I just lose it.

      I only saw handful of interviews with Bale, but yeah it seems the questions he is being asked are quite boring and always similiar, I'd be bored out of my mind answering those all the time.

      Delete
  3. Oh, thanks for the link love. I'm glad you love that film as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! REally adore the film, though I hope Director's cut will be released one day.

      Delete
  4. Great link roundup! I'd never seen most of those before :) more blogs to stalk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally check them out, awesome blogs!

      Delete
  5. Ah, Alfred. The underrated star of the Batman series. Lucius Fox banters with Bruce Wayne too but nothing like Alfred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the scenes with Alfred and Bruce, they were both perfectly cast too.

      Delete
  6. Where have you reached in The Wire? Season 4 yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Season 3x08 currently :) Will star season 4 sometime next week!

      Delete
  7. Many thanks for the link, Sati!

    I'm with you on Alfred -- he was always cracking me up through the whole trilogy. Even now as I am watching the Animated Series for the first time, he's got some great one-liners.

    What season are you in for The Wire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      He is so cool, loved all the little funny bits too like the one he was putting sleeping Rachel in the car during the party :)

      I'm finish season 3 at the moment.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I forgot about The Counsellor. Looks interesting, and I can't wait for the Visual Parallels post.

    Love Gustav's haircut. That shovel example is why I have no desire to practice law.

    And brilliant photos, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VP post will be up sometime next week!

      That case was really fucked, though thankfully most of the cases is small stuff like petty roberies or drunk drivers, who thankfully didn't hurt anyone yet.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the linkage Sati! that's funny captions about bruce wayne and alfred

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, the last image and gif series - I can't breather because it is so perfect!

    Second, I was thinking the same thing when I watched the The Paperboy trailer. I couldn't pinpoint what was messing me up or what seemed off but it seems to be a well executed trailer if the movie turns out like Monster's Ball or Precious as you say (I haven't seen the last one.. should watch it though.. I'm gonna make a list now)

    Great post!

    http://mettelray.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precious is all right, but I think everyone should see it for Monique's performance, it's truly amazing work. The film is quite heavy and unplesant but it is much better than Monster's Ball for sure, at least in terms of screenplay and execution.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  11. I love your GIFs! I agree that Skyler is a bitch on Breaking Bad, this season (5) is the first time I'm actually starting to feel a little bad for her.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Really? God I really need to see that, because for the last 3 seasons I really hoped someone will drive over her :)

      Delete
  12. Awwwhaha, that last gif set is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fassy would never let James get cold :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the link love, dearest! At least Fassy looked so darn adorable in ANGEL, but there's not much to love about that movie. Ahahaha, I LOVE that caption in the Queen photo, her pissed off look cracks me up as well. Did you see that interview of Bale on that talk show? Man, I thought it was a hoot, I wish he still does the talk show rounds as he's certainly an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! He did look adorable, too bad he was such an cheating asshole in this movie :)

      I did see the interview, loved how he talked about first piece of furniture him and his wife got was a bed :):):)

      Delete
    2. Bale may seem like a strange recluse, but I do respect him for having such a wonderful marriage to his wife Sibi [I think she's from Bosnia??] and they have such a cute little girl. It's so rare to see a major movie star having such a healthy marriage, I hope they last.

      Delete
    3. Yep, he definetly appears to be a family man, I love all the stories about how he brought his daughter to the set of Batman and she was more interested in playing with Anne Hathaway's dog than getting excited about her dad being Batman :)

      Delete
  14. Aha this is brilliant Sati! I love your piece about your yorkie. Our old yorkie (cross) used to get really travel sick, when she was a puppy she went through a stage of eating lots of stuff around the garden even though we tried to get her to stop, she didn't stop until one day she actually throw up a couple of slugs on my knee in the car. Ugh!

    I've been working in law for about five years, I'm starting a new job tomorrow but working in child care I've read loads of letters from parents to their children in care. It's awful, really awful. Terrible handwriting and spelling, but prioritising their playstations over their children just takes the biscuit. And that was only the tip of the ice berg!

    I love the gifs at the end too :D love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God! That is horrfying :) My yorkie eats dirt out of pots with flowers, though he never puked them on us, not yet :)

      I really hate that so many things I had to do dealt with reading handwirtten stuff - in this day and age people should really type their words, because honestly sometimes it took me few minutes to decypher single words. Parents/children cases are quite awful, especially when even something gets done it's usually just a tiny improvement - things are still bad, only a little better than they were.

      Thanks! As soon as I saw them I knew I had to use them in a post ^^

      Delete
  15. Glad to see you are another fan of Breaking Bad Sati!!! It is such a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome show, really, though I wouldn't say it's my all time favorite it is definetly one of the better ones I saw and keeps you interested with each episode.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the link!
    Gustav is still cute as a button, Brad Pitt looks ridiculously hot in Killing them softly and that last set of GIFs just made my day, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Yep that last gifs are hilarious, they managed to put such a spin of Shame I think next time I'll see this scene I'll laugh :)

      Delete
  17. "Can we just talk about how great the first trailer for the movie (Killing Them Softly) is?"

    Yes, we can. :D It looks #%$&ing awesome, doesn't it?

    Speaking of... have I told you your blog kicks ass lately? Bloggers need to hear that stuff every now and then. Every time I stop in here I'm impressed by the awesomeness. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does, can't wait to see the movie.

      No, you haven't you were too busy calling me crazy and bashing TDKR :P:P:P Thank you, that's really great to hear and I'm glad you like my work!

      Delete
  18. Just posting a late thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I died laughing at that Fass and McAvoy joke.

    Thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete