Friday, August 17, 2012

(40) Lily of the Valley + links

By Sati. Friday, August 17, 2012
You brought a meth lab to the airport? Walt to Jesse, season 2 
You brought a bomb to the hospital? Jesse to Walt, season 4
  • Author page is up. Reviews index will be too, shortly. I'm on letter P so it's almost done.
  • Breaking Bad. My God. First 4 seasons of it are tremendous, even better than The Sopranos and The Wire, hard to say about Boardwalk Empire since it only has 2 seasons. Season 4 has been absolutely mesmerizing from start to finish and it was the first season Skyler didn't make me pray someone will smack her any moment now. Also the final shot was absolutely amazing, such chilling and brilliant moment. Season 4 of Breaking Bad is probably the most glued to the screen I ever was, maybe even on the level of first season of Boardwalk Empire - just non stop greatness. I absolutely cannot believe that this show not only doesn't have Golden Globe wins it doesn't have a single nomination for Best dramatic series! It truly is a show of ingenious moments - what happened to Jane and the circumstances of it, the origin of the Teddy Bear, "Run" and my favorite - the final scene of 4x10 Crawl Space with Walt laughing manically and Skyler slowly approaching the phone, shocked. I think it's one of the finest scenes I've seen in TV show.

  • It is with great pain that I caught up with all 5 released episodes of season 5 to find out that to put it mildly they are not very good. Magnets, train robberies, annoying female character that appear out of nowhere...I'm sorry is it Prison Break? There are 3 remaining episodes this year and I truly hope that the show will pick up because apart from episode 4 it is very disappointing. One of the big issues is the lack of the threatening antagonist. Also Skyler is back to being a bitch, more so than before. I really hope Walt kills her. Or that the cartel will cut her head of just for "for the cancer to come back" line. Worst wife and mother in the history of TV.
  • I saw Rampart which was so-so but it lacked story and the ending was bad. Harrelson and the music were great but I don't think I could recommend that film based on that alone. I also saw Five Year Engagement which was atrocious - long, boring, embarrassing and not funny. Emily Blunt is one of the laziest actresses out there. She is so talented but she plays the same person in at least 3 of her recent films.And all of her recent films are forgettable or awful.
  • I also saw Bernie which was charming but forgettable. Matthew McConaughey was terrific and very funny, though. He may just be my favorite star this year, assuming Killer Joe and Magic Mike bring in his performances as marvelous as people keep saying they are.
  • I know it's only August but I've been thinking about my best of the year recently and I already have a major problem because I think I will need a flip of a coin to determine which of the tracks is better - Why do we Fall? or Imagine the Fire.
  • I really hope Anne Hathaway's Oscar grabbing Les Miserables won't overshadow her Selina Kyle in the award season. They snubbed Pfeiffer, they can't possibly snub the kitty again. I mean really - that moment in the beginning when she says "It's Mr Wayne, isn't it?" and proceeds to be all cute and caring, and even when she is pretending her mask slips momentarily and you see she genuinely cares, or when Batman says "this isn't a car" and you see the shock, astonishment and a bit of fear on her face as Bat starts off. That is pure gold. Let me tell you this now - I'll be truly shocked if she won't be my win by the year's end.
  • I'm excited for Neil Jordan's Byzantium. Not only does it feature Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton but it also marks Jordan's return to Vampire film since his epic Interview with the Vampire
  • So the titles for the deleted scenes form Prometheus DVD were revealed yesterday. Everyone is freaking out about the scene called Paradise, apparently occurring at the end of the movie, but you know me. There are things that are more important - like THAT sex scene being cut from theatrical version. So let me cut to a chase - there is a scene called...wait for it... Janek FILLS Vickers IN. It appears to be it. Mr. Scott, or whoever was naming those scenes, I applaud and share your lack of subtlety when it comes to that scene.
  • Twitter is not working again. People responsible, get your shit together!
  • Speaking of getting your shit together another person who should be doing this is David Cronenberg. After committing the abomination called A Dangerous Method and Cosmopolis, which from what I'm reading is far from being good, he actually criticized The Dark Knight Rises. The nerve!
  • Gustav scared us shitless this week when he didn't want to drink anything. We took him to the vet and many tests and a lot of money spent later it turned out that yet again he ate something off the ground and now he needs to take pills to beat all the bacteria that came with it. So every day I try to hide pills in treats and meat and he eats around them or waits for me to turn around and actually spits out the pill and attempts to hide it! Fortunately, the vet assured me it is nothing serious and Yorkies have issues like that all the time, so hopefully in a week time Gustav will be fine again. He still has enough energy to chase things though - the biggest fucking hedgehog I've seen is back in the yard and Gustav is always determined to attack it. It has come to this - I'm actually walking him with a flashlight in the evening and when I spot that mutated hedgehog monstrosity I grab Gustav and get away as fast as I can.
  • I trust everyone saw first trailer for Seven Psychopaths? It looks great apart from Abbie Cornish who must be the most disinterested actress "working" nowadays. I don't even know what I like most from the trailer. Christopher Walken? Sam Rockwell? Woody Harrelson's crying? Or maybe that ridiculously adorable Shih Tzu?
links:
  • Andina says goodbye to her lovely my Movie Influence series - check out all of the posts in this one!
  • Stephanie lists memorable movie sociopaths
  • Steven reviews Down to the Bone with lovely Vera Farmiga
  • Jaina reviews The Help
  • Diana reviews On the Road
  • asrap virtuoso reviews The Expendables 2
  • Alex looks at the best roles by Steve Buscemi
  • ruth reviews Rob Roy and the Bourne Legacy

32 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't like Rampart. I'm a fan. Harrelson is the film's standout, but I loved the cinematography as well.
    Anne Hathaway is probably going to be my win at year's end too, as is Hardy. :D
    Byzantium looks great! Forgot all about that.
    Can't wait for Seven Psychopaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinematography was good! I loved the way the club scene was shot.

      For me Hardy was already beaten by Fass in Prometheus and there are at least 2 actors from Seven Psychopaths that will most likely outshine both of them. But Hardy was really good. People seem to love Caine but for me apart from the last time we see him, he wasn't too impressive.

      Delete
    2. I should've guessed Fass was your current pick. :) Caine was good, but Hardy blew me away. Given the limitations of that role, I wasn't expecting much, and he totally delivered.

      Delete
    3. Oh I completely agree. Especially his scene with Cotillard, that was some amazing acting right there.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link love! I knew you would take notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Hopefully more people will watch this film.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree about the end to Crawl Space. I couldn't get my heart to slow down the first time I saw that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! That sound in the scene was so haunting, it actually sounds a lot like beating of the heart.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Lady Sati, being linked here always makes my day! :)

    Oooh what's this Byzantium, that's a new project? I haven't heard of that but I like Interviews with the Vampire and anything w/ Saiorse Ronan is fine by me, that kid is massively talented!

    Have a good weekend, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Yep it's new, I think it's opening on one of the film festivals soon, forgot which one. It will probably be released internationally in the spring. I think Gemma and Soirse both play vampires in it.

      You too!

      Delete
  5. I missed trailer for Seven Psychopath, thanks for info! Best wishes for recovery of your dog

    Well done with your author page, was an entertaining read!
    Don't feel bad people copying stuff from your blog, take it as a compliment and a positive sign of quality blogging on your side, that's what I think (: I quoted people all the time for uni. But I guess you mean when the person pretends it was them who wrote it, and don't mention YOU are the author...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is already much better, thank you!

      Glad you liked it! Quoting is fine, I do that too, what I meant there is that I do something on the blog and then few days later someone does the same thing and acts as if they come up with the idea themselves. This is just gross.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen Breaking Bad or Broadwalk Empire but I've never trusted The Golden Globes anyway. Both for movies and TV. Is it any wonder that many people say the award can be bought. 30 Rock made an entire episode parodying it.

    Excited for both Byzantium and Seven Psychopaths too.

    Poor Leo. I hope he'll win one day. His career earned it.

    Thanks for the link too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definetly see those two shows. They are better than 3/4 of movies that are out there.

      I think he may win for Django next year.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  7. Season 4 of Breaking Bad is incredible... in terms of TV series, I'd say it may actually line up with Season 4 of Dexter...(big statement from me). Have to agree that the scene in Crawl Space is indeed mesmerising...It was one of those scenes I instantly wanted to talk to everyone about.

    I am enjoying Season 5, it's injected a bit of the humour in again - I think given what happened at the end of the freight train ep, that it will become more intense now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked season 4 of Dexter, for me after that season the show really became average. Loved the return of Lundy and when they did what they did I was shocked.

      Delete
  8. Aww, Leo! So sad!
    Matthew McConaughey is in everything at the moment. How long until he picks up an Oscar nom, do you think? haha. He was uh-mazing in Killer Joe. Charming, but absolutely psycho at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he actually may get a nomination for Killer Joe or Magic Mike, based on how well those two were recieved.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for the link, Sati :)

    The paradise scene listed in Prometheus deleted scenes freaked me out. I hope, like in the source, paradise means the place where Shaw and David discovered in the end. not the paradise in spiritual kind.

    I think Hathaway's Cat Woman should be acknowledge in MTV crowd, but I guess it deserve more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Oh I think it's the actual place the spiritual kind is very unlikely, I mean Shaw is alive and David is a robot. Unless it's Janek spiritual place with Vickers....:)

      It really does, she was outstanding

      Delete
  10. I gotta catch Breaking Bad. Seriously. I will probably wait for it all to be over and watch as a total box set.

    Right now I am trying in all earnestness to get through the Walking Dead. Pretty intense stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's another year of waiting.

      I totally forgot about that show. Have to watch season 2 finally.

      Delete
  11. Loved the gif's at the end! haha.

    And omg, how can Croenberg criticize The Dark Knight Rises!!! Especially after Cosmopolis... ahhh the nerve!

    I probably like McConaughey in Bernie as the least of his 3 (Magic + Killer) so you should be in for a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's gone nuts. After casting Knightley I suspected that but this is pretty much a definitive proof.

      Oh, awesome!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the link mention. It kind of made my day. I know ... the life I live must be incredibly exciting, eh? ;-)

    I hope Gustav is well soon and the hedgehog relocates. :-) One of our dogs had a run-in with a big-ass groundhog once and has a ripped ear to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!

      Oh, God that is horrible! Fortunetly we don't have groundhogs here.

      Delete
  13. At this moment, I can definitely see Les Miserables overshadowing The Dark Knight Rises - talking about Hathaway here of course. I'm looking forward to Les Miserables, but it'll take a lot for me to prefer it over her performance as Selina, she was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well her performance in Les Miserables won't even have much screentime but Academy loves it when the actress sacrifices herself for the role - here it was the hair assassination :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the link! Ah, I really don't think Hathaway has a shot at hell at a nom for TDKR. It'd be awesome if it happened, but I don't think it's... enough for the Academy.

    But really, who knows what the hell goes through their heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      These people are crazy, plus they are getting predictable. Year by year without even watching half of the movies I'm able to predict what will get nods.

      Delete
  15. Again, thanks for the link, you are a sweetheart!
    I really need to start watching Breaking Bad, but I have so many series on the waiting list and a lot that are pending (stuck in the first or second season) that I don't know when I will see everything. Let's hope after I finish the dissertation, my schedule will clear out :)
    Talking about awards season, I think it's a safe bet to say that if Hathaway will be nominated, it will probably be for Les Miserable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, it was a brilliant review!

      There are too many great shows out there, but Breaking Bad season 1-4 gets 10 from me, really outstanding stuff.

      I think she is sure to get nominated for LM she cut her hair, Academy loves shit like that.

      Delete