Saturday, August 25, 2012

(41) Remake flood + links

By Sati. Saturday, August 25, 2012
  • I have good news, bad news and awful news.
  • The awful news is that the pictures from Carrie remake are online and as predicted - it looks like a spoof. Julianne Moore - who is frequently (frequently not always) a guarantee for good performance looks good, though she looks too much like she always does - at that point you can see the picture of her face from any movie and you wouldn't be able to say which movie it is. She should at least wear a wig once a while. And Moretz? Wow. Are people in the studio such money grabbing whores that they would hire her just because she is well known? Why am I even asking - of course they are. Can you imagine how good this movie would be with a talent like Saoirse Ronan as Carrie? But no. Also it doesn't look like anything new and Moretz will probably try to play the part like Spacek, oh my that will be something - take a look at the first pictures.
  • The bad news is that Carrie is not the only disgraceful remake in the making. They are remaking Videodrome. Yep. Videodrome. You can't remake films by Cronenberg or Lynch - they have unique styles nobody can copy.
  • The good news is that The Girl who Played with Fire is still happening with Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig and the script is being written as I'm typing this. Fincher is still interested in directing it, too.
  • Oh and another good news! Kat Dennings will be back in Thor 2. I'm so happy, she was so adorable and funny in the first one and her and Natalie Portman really brought a lot of positive energy to the movie
  • I haven't found time to see new Breaking Bad episode. Stupid learning!
  • Until today I saw 0 movies the entire week. But today I said no more. I saw Magic Mike which was fun and easy on the eyes but it was so-so. It wasn't very memorable and Channing Tatum wasn't good, his performance was really flat. I did like McConaughey's role, though, he was fantastic. I also saw Expendables 2 and while it is better than the first movie it is not as good as I heard. Both films were fun, though.
  • Gustav is all better. We took him to the vet and he is completely healthy. I'm very relieved. However last Tuesday I was taking him right next to the vet's to the pet store. He must have thought we are going to the vet because he sat on the street and refused to move. I had to carry him into the store. That's what I get for trying to buy him colorful treats.
  • So I'm waiting for four things in September. No, not my birthday (04.09) because it's 23rd birthday and I'm closer to spinsterhood each year and no, not me retaking the exam which is - get that - at 11/09 (who does that? who?) but - the premieres of Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire, The Thick of it and Emmy Awards. Now Emmy awards and Downton Abbey are at the same time, but Emmy Award have Idris, well I think you know what Ill be watching. The Thick of it - I still don't know the exact date of premiere. I wish imdb was more informed about BBC shows.
links: 
  • Diana reviews Submarine
  • m. brown reviews Piranha 3DD with his usual wit
  • Jaina and Amy review Brave
  • Ruth and Ted wrote a tribute for the late Tony Scott
  • Nick reviews Se7en
  • wilde.dash reviews Killer Joe
  • Andina looks at the beautiful dresses in The Help
  • Alex shares his favorite picks from Sight & Sound Top 10 lists
  • Courtney reviews Young Adult

32 comments:

  1. Nooooo! A Videodrome remake!?!?! What the hell?

    Also, thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's insane, I mean only Cronenberg, as stupid as the things he has been saying recently are, can direct something like this.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  2. Think you summed up Magic Mike pretty well, I didn't think Tatum was that bad though. I'll have to check out Expendables 1+2.

    Haha naww Gustav! Good to hear he's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definetly see those, very fun movies with good action and amusing moments.

      Delete
  3. Team Saoirse! Oh, I think she'd nail that part! Ugh. The studios will never learn.

    I'd love to see McConaughey get an Oscar nomination for Magic Mike. He could be the Melissa McCarthy of this year, but I'm not sure the Academy will go for it. Then again, the Academy nominated Jonah Hill.

    Wouldn't it be easier if dogs could talk? Then you could reassure Gustav of your good intentions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, apparantly Oscar nod is not as important as running around in school girl outfit with a gun.

      If academy can nominated rDj for Tropic Thunder, who knows what they can do?:)

      Haha, maybe on Christmas Eve!

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched the original Carrie yet, I guess I'm missing out. I don't like the idea of a Suspiria remake. Maybe I will be too curious to say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really are, it's such a terrific movie! Oh God, I forgot they are remaking this one too :/

      Delete
  5. Age 23 is close to spinsterhood?!? :-) *LOL*

    Great post. It takes cajones to try to remake a Cronenberg or Lynch film. What are people thinking?

    And I am really glad Gustav is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels this way to me :)

      I don't know, I dont even want to imagine what is it with people who honestly think story like Videodrome is 1. worth remaking 2. is going to make any kind of money

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I can understand your frustration with doing a "Carrie" remake when you are such a big fan of the original, but who knows. It might be really good. I don't think Chloe is really that well known amongst the general public, and I like that they are updating it. I just hope they don't copy anything from the DePalma verson.

    At least they decided to wait more then ten years before doing another version of the same story. Unlike let's say "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have a shot at being good but the casting is quite ridicullous. The director is good but the fact she didn't take a stand when the studio hired Moretz is not a good sign. She is well known among the teens they are practically campaiging for Moretz to be everywhere nowadays, simply because they snuck into showing of Kick Ass and now they adore her.

      I don't think time is relevant factor, actually. Fincher's Dragon Tattoo was terrific. On the other hand you have something like The Invasion and Stepford Wives remakes made after all this time and they are utter shit.

      Delete
  7. If Spiderman was rebooted after only a few years, I'm not surprised other films like Carrie are remade. Remakes or reboots should only be made if the time setting of the film is outdated or because of geographical reallocations (like a Japanase film adapted to the USA).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and Spiderman reboot turned out to be awful.

      I agree I mean when something is good, why try to make it better when it's quite obvious you can't.

      Delete
  8. I love how strongly you feel about this Carrie remake! I promise you I will try and see the original before I even consider the remake (though I didn't think the stills looked that bad, really). Your review of that will be...interesting to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you see the original the stills will look bad, believe me! :) Well if it turns out to be good I'll be fair but I really don't think it will be,

      Delete
  9. Firstly, can I just say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new banner!!! Wow, that is just striking, Sati. Thank you for the linky-dinky, m'dear. Oh and I'm so agree with you that Saiorse Ronan would've been a much better choice as Carrie. And high five again on Kat Dennings in Thor 2, YES! She's sooo adorable in Thor and that 'myeu-muh' scene is such a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took some time but I like the way it ended up looking ^^

      Love Kat, so glad she will be back, Thor is probably my favorite superhero movie right after TDKR.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the link, it means a lot.

    I saw the second Expendables today, are you going to review it? You should!

    Would love to see Fincher come back, as well. On to reading the second book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      I'm not sure, maybe I'll do double review for two parts, I have pile of movies to review but I'll try.

      Delete
  11. WTF!? Goddamit Hollywood, OK you can have Suspiria but leave my Videodrome alone.

    At least nobody will ever consider remaking The Double Life of Veronique right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weirdest thing is that they want to remake Cronenberg's movie after ADM and Cosmopolis performed that poorly, I really don't understand why would anyone do that.

      Who knows, at that point I'd say everything is possible...

      Delete
  12. Moretz... right. Oh you're so right, Moore looks the same in EVERY film. But she's so naturally gorgeous, so it's fine. I've been excited for Played with Fire since the credits rolled on Dragon Tattoo! Really glad to know it's happening, I hope Fincher directs the last one, too.

    I haven't watched any films or tv shows either - I'm freaking out because I've missed two episodes of True Blood and will only be able to watch them next Monday.

    I'm glad Gustav is okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Fincher comming back would be great but I'm just happy Mara is still on board, she is perfect Lisbeth.

      I haven't watched TB since that episode with fairy strip club, that show got too crazy for me.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the link again :)

    I haven't watch Carrie, seems phenomenal. Not so sure about Moretz, I guess we'll see.

    Didn't realize about Moore's habit not to wear a wig or the difficulty of guessing her role by seeing her stills. But yeah, why is that so??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!

      You need to see this one, really great film not only in terms of story but also acting and execution.

      I think the only three films she did look slightly different are Far From Heaven, A Single Man and Blindness. It's not the worst thing int he world but it takes me out of the film a little, makes it harder to forget it's an actress playing the role than just focusing on the character.

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much for the link! Sorry you're so bummed at the Carrie remake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yeah, casting Moretz was a nail to the coffin for me.

      Delete
  15. The shot of Chloe Moretz in the Carrie remake is pretty damn shocking. Though, I am a fan of hers from Kick Ass and Let Me In. This, not at all.

    The top banner looks gorgeous! Love it!!

    Poor Gustav - glad he's ok! Hate it when pets are ill, they can't tell you what's going on!

    Right, need to get a move on and watch the Swedish Girl with Dragon Tattoo films. I gave up on the books (the first one was just so boring!) so need to watch the films before the next American one is done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you like it!

      Exactly, there is really no way of noticing something most of the time, I keep reading magazines about pets and there are clues what to do when the dog has stomach ache but how the hell am I supposed to know he has one? Crazy!

      I only read one novel but saw all of Swedish films, the second movie has a lot of Lisbeth so I can't wait to see what Mara does with this plot.

      Delete
  16. Cool, I didn't know The Girl Who Played With Fire was in the works. Hope it's Fincher again.

    Did you get a chance to see the new Breaking Bad yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things point out to Fincher directing unless Sony gives him trouble like the last time, hope they will just stay away, give him money and let him make his movie.

      No, haven't seen last two episodes, been too busy :(

      Delete