Friday, September 28, 2012

(46) Bluer than velvet was the night... + links

By Sati. Friday, September 28, 2012

  • I love Lana Del Rey's new music video for Blue Velvet. It's heavily inspired by David Lynch's works so it makes it even more awesome. And her new single Ride is even better. Can't wait for The Paradise Edition of Born to Die. I also can't wait to go to H&M and buy most of her collection. God, I'll be broke by the next week's end.
  • New episode of South Park was yet another disaster. The show is painfully unfunny now and this season is the worst one yet. I'm not watching it next week.
  • Let's not talk about the Emmys. Idris Elba was there and they showed him once during the entire ceremony. And he lost to Kevin Costner of all people. Well, at least Mad Men lost. In every category. And I'm very glad Maggie Smith and Aaron Paul won. Also happy for Julianne Moore though it is ridiculous that this award is her first major award in years. And Jessica Lange. Yes!
  • Gustav had a little accident last Sunday, he tripped while running and the vet says he needs surgery soon because he has Luxating patella, which basically means his patella relocated and it needs to be fixed. He was going to have surgery anyways because one of his baby tooth didn't fell out so it's bad news but there are also some positives - it's good that the knee thing happened now because they can do it all in one surgery, that problem only occurs in back legs, so when they fix it it may only happen once more in other leg and the leg they fixed will be fine, because after fixing it, it doesn't happen again. Also as the vet noticed I was close to passing out she said she has been doing surgeries like this for 20 years, once on 16-year old Yorkie even, and everything always went fine so there is nothing to worry about. Still, I'm sure on the day of the surgery my hair will turn grey. Gustav on the other hand looks completely healthy - he isn't limping or anything, he is running and jumping as always, which is ironically the problem because he shouldn't put a lot of strain on his legs.Also I started to carry him up and down the stairs which is fun because 1. he weights 7 pounds 2. I have no physical strength 3. I live on the 3rd floor 4. The light bulbs are fucked in the corridor so I am carrying him in one hand and the flashlight in another.
  • As forgettable as Stoker trailer makes the film look, Nicole Kidman looks amazing.
  • My classes start next Thursday. I have 10 hours of classes a week - I have so "few" of those because they realize we have to study for bar exam and write dissertations. The subjects I have are European Union law, Theory of law and state and Political systems of democratic countries.
  • With his leg injured I can't leave Gustav alone. And I am ALONE in the house for the next 3 weeks. I have to leave for classes 3 times a week. Most of my friends are either working or studying abroad or studying with me which means they are at university when I'm at university. Yes, it's time to make a basket of muffins and go meet my neighbors.
  • I loved new Downton Abbey episode. Maggie Smith pretending to be nice to Shirley Maclaine's character was so funny. And the singing scene was priceless.
  • Since I spent half of the week (and half of my money) at vet's office I only saw Moonrise Kingdom and rewatched American Reunion this week.
  • The Thick of It 4x03 was much funnier than 4x02. Loved the classic misunderstanding, compromising photographs and Star Wars references happening.
  • I didn't get a chance to see new Boardwalk Empire yet. I must be in the minority of people who think this is the best TV series on air right now, as after the Emmys the discussion broke on imdb where a bunch of people ranked the series nominated in the Best Drama category and chose Boardwalk Empire...last. What is happening?
  • Remember when I was waiting for new Swanson wisdom? Well, ask and you shall receive:

I loved all of Ron's scenes in 5x01 and Chris horrified expression when he realized that the pig that Ron brought is there as their dinner.Leslie's scenes weren't as funny as Ron's but then again they never are. 5x02 was probably the worst episode so far, though. Fortunately, Lucy Lawless will appear in the show soon as Ron's love interest. There are promo photos with Ron during some sort of kids party in the garden. I'm sure it will be hilarious.
  • Modern Family season premiere was quite fun. I can't wait to see more of pregnant Gloria - have a feeling she will get even louder and crazier.
  • You need to watch this Seven Psychopaths viral video:
links:
RELATED POSTS:

30 comments:

  1. All the best to Gustav! I remember when I had to take my cat just for a regular check-up and a shot, I couldn't even look because I felt so bad for her. Can't imagine what you are going through.

    Plus, I haven't seen Boardwalk Empire nor Mad Men - I guess I don't find those historical period shows interesting with the exception of the Downton Abby. But it's the Brits I go for when I watch that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's all very scary, he is such a small, innocent creature, but if it's necessary there is just no way around it.

      You should give those two a chance - first 4 season of Mad Men are really good and Boardwalk Empire is probably one of the top 3 shows HBO ever made.

      Delete
  2. I had mixed feelings over the new South Park episode as well. It started off being funny but once it came around to Butter's creamy-goo and the sarcasm joke starting to wear thin. That's when I knew the episode wasn't going to be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was such a mess. It used to feel effortless, now it's just painful to watch.

      Delete
  3. Oh my God, that Seven Psychopaths video was awesome. I can't wait for that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so hilarious! Can't wait to see what Harrelson does in the movie.

      Delete
  4. I'm think I'm staying away from movie viral videos now. Well, at least until I watch the films. I miss the novelty of going into a cinema knowing very little.

    Modern Family, one of the few TV show I get to see nowadays... and I still missed the premier!! Anyway, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are kinda an expansion on one character, so they aren't spoilerish :)

      You're welcome! I love MF, it's such a warm and funny show.

      Delete
  5. Hope everything goes well with Gustav's surgery and with your studies.

    The Seven Psychopaths viral campaign is terrific. Just awesome.

    Thanks for the link! (It goes to Cherokee's post though.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I realy can't wait for this movie.

      Oh-oh. Fixed that :) My copy/paste thing doesn't always work :)

      Delete
  6. I love Blue Velvet. Gorgeous video. Although Lana Del Rey's lips :S

    I am obsessed with Stoker's trailer. I love everyone in it.

    I can see why people are getting over Boardwalk. It was exciting in the first two seasons. Now it's kind of meh. I am honestly thinking of giving it up. But I love the actors too much.

    Smith and Maclaine FTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She isn't the most beautiful woman in the world but she sure got style, I love her for it.

      I love the show to death, comparing to some other series from hBO I saw I really think this one holds the quality, but maybe it's just me and my fondness for gangsters and femmes fatales :)

      They are so awesome together!

      Delete
  7. I like Ride and Yayo from Lana Del Rey Paradise edition. I'll have to go check Blue Velvet music video. Have you heard the obscure, non-album LDR song Backfire? Enjoyed that one.

    Fingers crossed the surgery for your dog goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! When it comes to her music I'm like a blood hound, if she recorded it, I'll find it :)

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the link, as always, you are a sweetheart!
    Poor Gustav, I hope he will be better soon!
    Good luck with your exams and dissertation- fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  9. Oooh I didn't realise South Park is back!! *rushes to watch*. Hopefully I like it more then you did.

    Thanks for Looper linkage, I'm actually quite excited to watch it again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really, really bad. I was hoping the show will pick itself up but it's dying.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
    2. I didn't mind it to be honest but I didn't laugh much. Just happy it's back!!! I reckon last season has some ripper eps (that Gold one was... gold!)

      Delete
    3. I hope maybe there will be better episodes in the future, it would be saddening if the quality continued to decline.

      Delete
  10. Oooh I knew you'd hate Elba losing to Costner. I haven't seen Hatfields & McCoys but yeah, that was a big ouch.

    Thanks so much for the link! Glad you dug the lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it. Who votes for this stuff?

      You're welcome! I hope I'll be able to make some of mine for 1 year anniversary :)

      Delete
  11. I'm gutted to hear South Park has lost it. Maybe we'll get Team America 2 now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I loved all the previous seasons even though the second to the recent one was worse than everything prior to it, but this one is just a disaster.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the link love to the blogathon, Sati. I've included your post on Laura Linney.

    Man, one of these days I gotta catch up with Downton Abbey! Maggie Smith won an Emmy?? Was she in Downton Abbey? I had no idea she actually has a TV role, ahah, that's how out of touch I am with TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Yeah, Maggie Smith is on DA, she is the best thing about it!
      It's her second Emmy for that role, that's how awesome she is, you should check it out - it's pretty great series!

      Delete
  13. I've just started to listen to Lana Del Ray, quite an actress! Didn't know that her video was inspired by Lynch's film. I didn't watch the Emmy's but I heard Homeland won big. Too bad for Girls, huh? ;) After all the naked scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so sad about Girls losing, this is such a tragedy :)

      Homeland won so many Emmys, but in my book it's not as great as Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire, it's still a decent show though.

      Delete