Friday, October 12, 2012

(48) You are my favorite, favorite thing + links

By Sati. Friday, October 12, 2012

  • Lana Del Rey's video for Ride is sensational. I liked the song before but now It's been repeat for hours. The whole video is almost like a short movie with prologue and the story - it's almost hard for me to chose my favorite shot from the video, there are so many of them, especially Lana walking on the street at night. It's amazing how wonderfully atmospheric and beautifully shot her music videos are. The part with tire swing is my favorite - can't believe some people who reviewed the single complained that they don't understand  what the swing is attached to on the cover. Who gives a shit? I'm rolling my eyes so hard right now.
  • I saw Seeking a Friend For the end of the World last night and while it wasn't perfect it was a very beautiful movie. I cried like an idiot at the end. I don't know why they advertised it as a comedy because it was more saddening than Melancholia. I'll try to write review for it next week.
  • This week I also watched What to Expect when you are Expecting which was crap and even Rebel Wilson and Elizabeth Banks couldn't rescue that, Raising Arizona which was too silly and not funny enough, Looper which I loved and Takers which was a mess of a movie but in one scene Idris Elba's phone starts ringing during the night and he gets up and walks around, while wearing nothing but VERY tight briefs. It was glorious.The moonlight actually bounced off it.
  • Yet another trailer for Django Unchained was released and this one was as unfunny and awkward as previous ones. I hope the movie will be much better. However, they did use one of the better songs from Rocknrolla in it, so it wasn't all bad.

  • The trailer for Hitchcock on the other hand was excellent. The movie has Scarlett Johansson who, amusingly, was reduced to starlet as her name doesn't even appear in the trailer and while she is occasionally good, I don't think casting her as Janet Leigh was a good move. The biggest red flag is the presence of Jessica Biel though, who hasn't delivered a single decent performance in her entire "career". Fortunately, she is featured in the trailer for maybe 2 seconds. Also I noticed a lot of people don't predict this movie to be a serious contender for Best Picture nomination, I'm quite surprised as biopics usually do well on Oscars.
  • I finally sat down and checked out what exactly do I need to know in order to attempt to pass the bar exam. This is what I did when I saw the list of various legal codes and acts:

  • This Oscar season is quickly filing up with a whole bunch of films I'll have to see though I have no interest in doing so. Life of Pi. Lincoln. Les Miserables. So many fucks I don't give.
  • I need to go and buy some food. I think all I ate today was peanut butter sandwich. I didn't even notice that I didn't eat. In fact, I think I became a vegetarian, involuntarily - there is no meat in the fridge except for the frozen portions for Gustav.
  • My mother is coming back on Thursday. I need to clean up the apartment which won't be easy - Gustav bit a piece of the carpet so there is a hole in it, the mess in my room is unimaginable and I'm not even sure where half of my socks are because Gustav keeps stealing them. Also my mother was gone for 2 weeks now and it's only yesterday that I remembered that she told me to water the plants. Crap.
  • Gustav's socks stealing adventure began when I gave him a bath this week. He is super mad.

  • Downton Abbey 3x04 was terrific. I love all of the romantic moments with Bates and Anna and Sybil and Tom. And Maggie Smith stole the show, as usual - she had crazy amount of hilarious lines in this one.
  • Hold on everyone! South Park's new episode was actually good! God, I love it whenever Cartman yells at people over the phone.
  • Terrence Malick is shooting a movie with Natalie Portman and Michael Fassbender. She is soooo lucky.

links:
  • Mettel Ray reviews one of my favorite movies from last year - Young Adult
  • Josh reviews Pitch Perfect which looks kinda fun
  • Diana wrote about Frankenweenie, which I'm hoping to see before/on Halloween
  • Stevee reviews terrific Looper
  • Courtney wrote a fantastic review of what I predict may be the funniest movie of the year - Seven Psychopaths
  • Nick wrote about hilarious and at the same time really gross Slither
  • m. brown reviews insanely entertaining The Cabin in the Woods
  • Sam saw Sinister which appears to be a rare thing - decent horror film.
  • Alex reminds us the work of the late Harris Savides
  • ruth reviews Argo, which looks like a serious best Picture contender

Can we have a sequel please?

38 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link and checking Lana's video as we speak. Plus, Looper! OMG!

    PS: I told you that What to Expect was nothing to expect. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you did :) At least the babies were cute :)

      Delete
  2. Thoughts I have to your thoughts:
    -LANA DEL REY! I don't know what has happened but like, two weeks ago, I was like "oh yes, let's listen to some Lana Del Rey". I bought the album. It has been on non-stop replay. Especially Radio. That's like my favourite song. I've watched all of her videos and I am in love with them. Hopefully someone buys me the Paradise edition for Christmas!
    -The trailer for Hitchcock is sensational. It'll be interesting to see how that does come Oscar season.
    -It sucks, Downton Abbey is starting this week here so I'm four weeks behind! Oh well, I am so excited.
    -I didn't even know that Fassy was in that Terrence Malick film until the other day. Yes, Natalie Portman is very lucky indeed.

    And thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radio is awesome, I love that song! I can't wait for Paradise Edition, when it comes to her music I'm an addict and I need a new fix :)

      I think Hopkins and Mirren are a lock for nomination, I'm hoping this movie will be better than some of the recent biopics we had that were just awful, like J. Edgar or The Iron Lady :/

      DA has really good season so far, each episode was very good.

      Delete
  3. How come your not interested in Life of Pi and Les Miserables? Not saying you have to be, but actually curious to any general reasons why. Those trailers looked so impressive to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are just too bright, shiny and flashy for me. I rarely enjoy musicals or movies that are mostly meant to be visual feasts.

      Delete
  4. There has been a lot of movie news this week. Its been hard to keep track haha. I've just finished reading Life of Pi and it was fantastic. Best book I've read. I'm going to start (or attempt reading Les Miserables).
    I'm really excited for Hitchcock, the trailer was great.
    Jealous of both Portman and Fassbender. Although with Thor 2 filming, I'm questioning her screentime in Thor. Having said that, it hasn't been filming for that long, and even Kat Dennings hasn't started filming yet, and her role is expanded.

    PS - Your dog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I only keep track because of tumblr reactions to those news :) I'm not familiar with the book, perhaps if I was I'd be excited for the film but I'll probably have the time to read books again when I'll be retired, of course assuming I even live this long :)

      I hope she has lots of screentime in Thor 2, she was so fun in first film.

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. Can I just watch the segment of Takers with Idris Elba strutting his stuff in his tightie whities? Doesn't sound worth sitting through the whole film for, but, damn! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was worth seeing just for that :) He walks around in suits too, so I was definetly glued to the screen whenever he was on.

      But I am sure someone equally as sad as I am has posted that moment on youtube somewhere :)

      Delete
    2. *LOL* My immediate thought was, "I bet I could find that clip on You Tube." So I am definitely as sad as you, if not worse. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Haha, well thank God for fangirls - without them youtube wouldn't be that much fun :)

      Delete
  6. It was glorious. The moonlight actually bounced off it.
    Equal parts eloquent and crass. AKA: brilliant.

    Thanks, as always, for the sweet linkage.
    All is right in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah that's me :)

      You're very welcome!

      Delete
  7. Lana Del Rey is so talented... Every video is a work of art and her voice is magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is, I love everything about her!

      Delete
  8. Hitchcock does look like a lot of fun, and I welcome more Malick films.

    Haha. I want to see those three "L" movies, but Lincoln doesn't look very good, to say the least.

    Thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know why everyone is so worked up about this movie - DDL is not a guarantee of a good film (Nine?) and War Horse was just terrible.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  9. Argh! I'm so excited for my Seven Pyschopaths Screening - 12 Days!
    Who the hell knows what Malick is planning in this next one - who the hell is the blue man? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky! I have to wait till November :(

      The cast in this new Mallick movie is insane, I just hope it will have a storyline :)

      Delete
  10. "so many fucks I don't give" - HA! Love it. There are some typical oscar films I'm sorta looking forward to, but overall, the fodder is just so eh.

    Didn't like Raising Arizona? Yeah, it is a bit of an oddball film. I embraced that side of it. Crazy film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Oscar season really doesn't look that appealing to me, it just seems like whole bunch of typical Oscar baits and big studios promoting those.

      I liked parts of it, but it was a bit too odd. That baby was super cute though!

      Delete
  11. Just watched Lana's "Ride" video. Flawless princess can do no wrong in my book. I really love her.

    I meant to see Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, but it got pulled out of theaters too quickly! Sadder than Melancholia? That sounds intense. And like something I would want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Flawless princess" - what a lovely way to describe her! Glad to read you are a fellow fan!

      It's very touching and beautiful, though it drags a little at time. Not perfect, but certainly charming and moving film.

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for the link love, dahling. Oh poor Gustav, ahah.

    Ooooh you're spoiling me rotten with the GIFs from Rocknrolla, Idris and Gerry Butler is such a dream in that movie, I wish they'd star together again soon!!

    Btw, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't think Scar-Jo's casting as Janet Leigh is a good idea, I think she's more suitable to play Jayne Mansfield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! He is fine - he is being spoiled with treats and hugs :)

      They should totally make the sequel, even if just the adventures of these crazy trio.

      Definetly, she just doesn't look the part. But I bet many guys will go see this one just for shower scene :)

      Delete
  13. YES! I'm so glad you liked the trailer for Hitchcock. I cannot wait for that one.

    Thanks for the link! Mr. Savides will surely be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a terrific movie!

      You're welcome! yet again another amazing atricle!

      Delete
  14. I hate how there hasn't been a sequel to RocknRolla yet.. with the promise of another one at the end.

    and thanks for the mention!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, they really shouldn't get everyone hopes up if everything wasn't set and prepared yet.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  15. Lana Del Rey's videos are always so good. About Johansson in Hitchcock, I have a major girl crush on her, so I'm the worst person to comment on that, ahah. But why do you think it's a bad move? Is it her acting skills?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is very pretty and she can be great when she is given the right material, but to me she just doesn't look a lot like Leigh, Scarlett has more whimsical and adorable look while Leigh looked more serious. But it's nowhere near as bad as casting Biel :)

      Delete
    2. Well yeah, you're about that - she does lack that serious, more mature look... but hopefully it will be alright :D

      Delete
    3. I hope it will be good, I love Psycho and I'd love to learn more about the process of making it. Hopefully, the film will focus on Hopkins and Mirren, I'm sure they will be serious contenders for Oscars.

      Delete
  16. 1.Thanks for the link, again :)
    2. Lana del Rey sure does know how to pick good video directors, they are splendid
    3. Seeking a friend..I need to see it, too, I like both actors, so I am happy to hear you liked it
    4. Rocknrolla, my friend, Rocknrolla indeed- Elba and Hardy were my favorite characters in that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!
      I think she actually directed that one herself, she is amazingly talented! Hardy and Elba were awesome there, I wish we will get sequel one day.

      Delete
  17. Aww I LOVE seeing your updates about Gustav! He's so sweet! There was a time when I was at university that the only reason I had bought meat was because my parents and their dog were visiting ;) never mind that both of my parents are meat eaters, it was all for the dog!

    Glad you liked Seeking a Friend, I cried so much too! Wasn't Sorry cute? I loved him too. Just a sucker for anything with a dog in really!

    Hope you're not freaking out about your bar exam, it'll all be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, if someone would even try to touch his meat he would freak out, he could eat tons of it :)

      He was so cute! I can't believe someone just left him behind.

      I'm freaking out bad but I'm trying to prepare and learn too and do as much as I can, at least I won't be able to think "may be I could have done more" which is very annoying.

      Delete