Saturday, November 10, 2012

(52) Oh...my...God! + links

By Sati. Saturday, November 10, 2012

  • The most exquisite thing I've seen this week in a very long time was Mumford & Sons music video featuring God Superman Idris Elba. I just...I can't even...oh, just watch it!
  • Also - can you imagine what would happen if he was 007 and Jean Dujardin was the villain? I can --------------------------------------->
  • Obama got re-elected. I'd vote for him too and it's not because of this. I simply vote for people who don't won't to destroy environment and equality. And I don't trust people who don't have any vices. That's unnatural.
  • I saw Brave, finally, which was good but not great - it was pretty boring at times. That said it made me cry A LOT. I'm glad I didn't see it in the cinema after all, it would be embarrassing to weep in front of small children. I can just imagine them asking their parents "Mommy, why is this sad, single lady crying?". I also saw Rust and Bone and it was good but disappointing. The performances were great but the script...wasn't. It was like watching two people do some things without any justification or reason. The characters weren't as well written as they should be, if the director wanted the audience to be moved by the story - at least for me. I'm more moved by diaper commercials with cute babies in them.
  • This weekend I will post my review of Argo, which I enjoyed greatly and I'll try to see Ted. I'm not holding my breath for this one as I don't like Family Guy. I'm also going to check some classic Bond movies. Ah, Sean. Ovaries gif applies here too.

  • Side Effects trailer was great. I can't wait to see Rooney Mara again. Also, as I understand, it's the last movie Soderbergh intends to make. Let me get this straight - he hired Channing Tatum to be in a bunch of his movies, including this one, he inadvertently helped him become People's sexiest man alive this year and now he is retiring? After unleashing Tatum? Not cool, dude.
  • Jessica Chastain is getting horrible reviews for her work on Broadway. I kind of sense that cold shower was needed here.
  • Parks and Recreation was pretty funny this week. I caught up with The Office and I must say that it's at all time low. I feel really bad for the actors. Kevin gluing turtle's shell together has gotta be one of the most embarrassing and dumb things I've seen in any comedy series. I hope for their sake that Steve Carrel will come back to do the last two episodes, otherwise it will be one of the most pitiful series finales ever.
  • American Horror Story was awesome this week - let me tell you just how creepy this season is - last season I was able to rewatch the episodes, but now they are just too damn creepy. For me Lana's therapy scene wasn't the worst - the most messed up stuff continues to be Dr Arden and Shelley - this is pretty fucked up right there. I'm betting Monsignor is Bloody Face by the way. But I'm still not sure, they are doing pretty good job hiding mysteries this time.
  • Still, the most vomit inducing thing I've seen all week was new poster for Oz - The Great and Powerful. I honestly don't know why Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz are wasting their time on this. They deserve so much better. And the pissed off monkey on the poster looks exactly like the one in Lion King, by the way.
  • Homeland was pretty great lately, though they kinda used the most obvious solution to 2x04 ending. Still there was a shootout scene last episode that completely took me off guard. I actually had to rewind the scene to made sure I saw everything that was going on.
  • I just can't stop listening to Lana Del Rey's Paradise album - Cola and American are just fantastic and I hope she makes music videos for them. I never go to concerts (I'm terrified of crowds, being trampled and loud noises) but if she is ever near where I live I'll go for sure. The only other song I listened to all week was Aerosmith's Dream On and that's only because it was featured in Argo trailer and it was pretty damn awesome trailer.
  • International trailer for Hitchcock was released today and it's even better than the first trailer. I'm pretty excited for this, though the cute/light tone of it is a bit odd. But as I said before, not everything needs to be dark. Btw I find Scarlett Johansson's photoshoot for W magazine to be a disaster. She looks horrible. I don't understand why people like it. 
  • Javier Bardem got his well deserved star on Walk of Fame. They kept showing it in the news all day today. How do I know it despite not having TV on in my room? Because my mother was watching TV in the other room and every 20 minutes or so I heard "Oh...Javier".
  • We also got pretty intense trailer for World War Z featuring Brad Pitt and apparently some sort of zombie apocalypse. As usual: count on tumblr to be amusing - people, judging movie based on the trailer, say that it's all wrong and not how the book described it. Well, I didn't read a book so I don't give a tiny rat's ass - the film looks pretty dope.Also I have an idea on how to stop zombies using Brad Pitt - just have him walk over there and repeat the stuff he said in Chanel no 5 commercial - zombies will be defeated due to confusion.
  • Gustav had a tough week - first he bit the rug so he was evicted from one room for the time being and then he got a new coat which he hates - the coat has a hood and we tried to put it on Gustav's head. Then we put the coat on the shelf next to the bathtub. 5 minutes later Gustav run to the bathroom, found the coat and started to bite the hood. Today he attacked another coat and tried to drag it to the room with him but he got caught. He was maaad.

  • links:
    • Stephanie lists 14 really bad movie husbands
    • Jaina reviews hilarious and lovely Crazy, Stupid Love
    • Diana, Sam and Dan review Skyfall
    • Stevee wrote a terrific post about Vivien Leigh
    • Andina reviews Ruby Sparks
    • Reel Talk choses 5 possible black actors to play Bond. Guess who is their top choice. Guess.
    • Andrew and Sarah wrote an amazing review/conversation about Flight
    • LightsCameraReaction and Alex review Rust and Bone. They both liked it more than I did.
    • If you like making lists and blogathons join Mettel Ray's movie alphabet. While you're at it - check out Nikhat's alphabet.
    • ruth asks where do we get our movies?

    RELATED POSTS:

    30 comments:

    1. What reviews were you reading for The Heiress? From what I've seen, the consensus on Jessica has been pretty fantastic. I so wish that I could go and see it, especially because I adore Dan Stevens too.

      Haha, Brave made me cry a lot. I was crying all over my best friend, and some six year old was looking at me strangely. Mind you, I did have 3D glasses on which kind of hid the tears a bit, but not enough.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I saw a thread on imdb about it, the ones I checked out were NYPOST and Hollywood Reporter, I think.

        3D glasses are good when it happens, it's the only thing that covered my despair during Deathly Hallows part 2 :)

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    2. Oh. My. God. indeed. :-) That man is seriously hot. :-)

      I love the photos of you and Gustav. And thanks for the link! :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm so glad they used my favorite Idris situation - taking off the clothes/dressing up in this video :)

        Thank you! He licked off some of my make up during this photoshoot, though :)

        Delete
    3. Thanks for the link!

      That Skyfall poster is the bomb. So is Idris Elba.

      Parks and Rec is back to being funny! Hurrah! Chris was so hilarious.

      AHS :S :S

      I cried in Brave too. In the theatre. But I was alone in my row.

      I agree with everything you said abut Channing Tatum. Why does he keep getting good roles? It's so hard to ignore him then.

      Also I like the World War Z trailer too, and Hitchcock looks fun and ScarJo's photoshoot, apart from the cover, was indeed hideous.

      Thanks for reminding me that I need to listen to Lana Del Rey's album.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I loved Ron's stare down over the last shrimp :P

        I think the only good roles he is getting are from Soderbergh, the dude has a nice body but he really isn't handsome at all and as for his acting talent - he isn't terrible but still, there are dozens better actors out there.

        Delete
    4. Ugh. Really want to see Rust and Bone. Right. Now.

      I've got 5 or 6 Bond films left to see, so I'll be digging into those over the next few days.

      Yay! Hadn't heard about Javier's star. Happy for him.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's definetly worth seeing for Cotillard's work, I hope you get to see it soon!

        I was sure he got one before, considering how he was Academy Award winner for 4 years now :)

        Delete
    5. American is great, Ride is my fav from the paradise edition. Hmm, with all these new Lana Del Rey tracks, which I think are stronger than B-sides, why didn't she just release them as stand-alone tunes on a new album, weird. Because most fans already have the older Born to Die material...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not sure, actually. Perhaps she wanted all the music that was kinda in the same theme/style to be a part of one album. I did hear a rumour she will be in movies now and she is taking a break from recording from now on, so maybe when she releases new album it will be something different. Not too different I hope, I really like her current style.

        Delete
    6. that Mumford vid is pretty awesome, Idris looks great! though I'm a not as big a fan of the band as I used to be. Parks and Rec was funny, I just watched it actually! LOVE Lana del Rey's Blue Velvet cover, so smooth.

      OZ is getting on my nerves, it just keeps looking worse and worse every day...

      Scarlett does looks terrible, and that's not an easy thing to achieve. hmm, Sean Connery... ovaries gone indeed.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He does indeed :)

        Lana's Blue Velver cover is so pretty and jazzy, I really love it.

        I agree - with each trailer or photo it looks more and more awful, too much CGI and none of it actually comes together, it looks like a bunch of random stuff.

        Yeah, I mean the lighting and her outfits, plus the fact she is smiling in something that was supposed to be inspired by Psycho...so odd.

        Delete
    7. Thanks for the link love, Sati. Lana del Ray's new songs seem interesting. That Skyfall poster is hilarious IMO. I don't really understand why Javier Bardem must 'seduce' him, I don't think it's relevant in the story too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! That was such a WTF moment for me in the cinema, I was like "What is he doing? What is happening right now?" :)

        Delete
    8. Oh nice thank you for the linkage Sati! Parks and Rec was pretty funny this week, even though I hope they don't make Ben go back to D.C. He's so funny when he's with everyone else.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I agree, DC stuff was funny at times, but it's much better when Ben is in Pawnee :)

        Delete
    9. Wow you've had a busy week!

      I thought the same about Brave, good, boring at times but quite moving too. Been waiting for Rust + Bone for a while in Oz, will be interesting to see if I feel the same as you did!

      I try to avoid trailers but am slightly interested in both Hitchcock and World War Z.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I always have busy weeks, just not busy with the stuff that should actually take my time :)

        I can't wait for Hitchcock - Helen Mirren looks especially amazing in this on.

        Delete
    10. Holy crap, I love that Javier on Conan clip.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The whole interview was hilarious, Javier is always so awesome on talk shows :)

        Delete
    11. Uuu, mister Idris Elba is sexy indeed!
      I completely agree with you on the Rust&Bone thing- I wasn't moved, either!
      Soderbergh is retiring? why? he's still young, isn't he?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He really is ^^

        Oh, good, I was starting to think I'm dead inside or something. Everyone keeps saying how moving it was - I just found it to be a waste of a potential.

        I have no idea, he was talking about it for years, I was actually surprised when we got Magic Mike since I thought Haywire was going to be his last film :)

        Delete
    12. I'm skeptical of WWZ. Zombies and vampires are really getting played out, which isn't the fault of the people making the movie. My main issue is that the CGI crowds look... a horror movie is supposed to be tactile and whatnot. Honestly, those e.g., old James Bond movies blew people away because they knew someone was really doing the stunt. A lot of graphics work doesn't feel like it has much "weight."

      But the super-hoards of fast zombies who are rapidly doing the "rats climbing over each other thing?" If it were that bad, then people would only be safe on really remote islands...

      I love your pix and gifs, btw - the Conan/Bardem one is priceless!

      That Mumford video was a trip right? I can't believe how closely they dressed him to his Luther role. Seriously, it might be the same jacket.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, it's a lot of CGI and action, but on the other hand Avengers had tons of CGI and action in the trailer and all in all it worked pretty well. As for horror aspect of the movie, who knows maybe there are some good quiet and creepy moments too, they usually put the most impressive blockbuster shots in the trailers to sell the films.

        Thank you! I love when Bardem does talk shows.

        Oh, it was so good. He looks very similiar to John Luther, I love it :P

        Delete
    13. Hey thanks for the link! Great picks of you and Gustav, keep 'em coming girl. WOW, Idris in Mumford & Sons, how cool is that!! Have you come back to earth yet? :)

      Those GIFs of Javier on Conan is hilarious, I have to find that clip pronto!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Thank you! I'm not sure, I think I'm still orbiting around the Earth :)

        I think it may be somewhere on youtube, though occasionally it's really hard to find a single clip, it's the worst when some of my favorite people are on Leno I need to suffer through much of the show :/

        Delete
    14. Thanks for the link! Definitely a good week for trailers: Side Effects and World War Z rocked. And shit, that Skyfall poster is insane.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! It's so funny, people on tumblr are very creative when it comes to this movie :)

        Delete
    15. Good summary Sati. Need to see that Mumford video STAT! (Luther Series 3!!!!) ;) Thanks for the heads-up regarding 'The Heiress" reviews … I have been looking for a play to see since it has been a while that I have been to one.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! Great to see a fellow Luther fan here!

        Delete