Friday, November 23, 2012

(54) When I rise to power, those people will be sterilized + links

By Sati. Friday, November 23, 2012
  • I've been rewatching The Big Bang Theory because it may be the only show on air right now that is consistently funny. I love it so much. I deeply relate to Sheldon and I ADORE Howard.One of my favorite running gags in the show is Howard's mother who always yells and we never get to see her.
  • This week Jennifer Lawrence joined the elite club of the people I loathe. She was having the usual parade to promote her movie in talk shows and I happened to saw her appearances. I can't decide whether the stuff she said was more offensive or stupid. Take that story for instance - not only did she find it funny, she actually thought it was worth talking about on TV. Another thing she said is "Oh, I can't stand shy people. Like, make it up already. Ask about the weather, don't stare at your plate and make me feel like I'm making you uncomfortable!". Sweetie, I'm willing to bet more than half of your fans are shy people. Maybe you should keep your hick comments to yourself.
  • In another - even worse - news - 27 animals died on the set of  The Hobbit due to negligence. I wasn't planning on seeing any of those 3 money grabbing movies before and I'm definitely not doing so now. The only thing more horrifying than the the article describing what happened were the ignorant and stupid comments under it, where people blatantly said it's not a big deal and they don't understand why are everyone freaking out about "few" animals dying.. This Earth needs a new plague.
  • Actually celebrities have been embarrassing themselves left and right this week - Robert Pattinson said he would love to play Jar Jar Binks in the new Star Wars movie and Kristen Stewart's appearance on Conan was so uncomfortable and cringe worthy I actually had to hide my face in my hands few times because I just couldn't stand it.
  • Few awesome things happened this week including the beginning of shooting on Luther season 3 set and Jean Dujardin appearing on the set of The Wolf of Wall Street. We also got a look at the first picture from Bates Motel - the photo looks pretty bad, except for Farmiga who always looks great but what's bothering me is the parallels the producers say the show has to Smallville. That's messed up.
  • 666 Park Avenue got cancelled before I found the time to watch it.Huh.
  • Well, what do you know. The prediction I made for new American Horrror Story didn't come true. Apparently, I'm more sick than Ryan Murphy. Oh, well. We did get so many awesome things there this week - take the aliens out and everything works. My favorite moment was definitely Sister Mary Eunice, currently possessed by Satan, dancing and singing "You don't own me" to a cross. Also Bloody Face's masks gets weirder and more disgusting with each episode. I'm so thankful I was drinking wine while watching the show, otherwise I don't think I'd be able to stand staring at that horrible mask. Sarah Paulson must be having some pretty fucked up nightmares because of all of this. We also got really cool references to The Silence of the Lambs and Psycho and very clever introduction of Dylan McDermott - here's a hint LISTEN closely when you watch this episode - I can't wait to see him on the show, I think he will do a terrific job.
  • The promo for the next episode showed us the wonderful Frances Conroy who will appear for the first time in the second season next week. Apparently she plays some sort of angel of death.
  • I'm seeing new Twilight movie today. My friend, huge fan of the series wants company and seeing how the most possible alternative is going through around 1000 Supreme Court rulings for my dissertation - I read 20 yesterday, the stuff is useful but it's like slow death - I figured I really need to see something stupid and fun. The alternative was Anna Karenina but after reading many reviews of this one this week, one which said the film is so bad you are rooting for a train, I think I'm just going to catch this one on DVD.
  • I love Anna Karenina, especially the haunting final scene of the heroine. This weekend I'll rewatch the lovely 97's version with Sophie Marceau and Sean Bean and I'll try to find the one with Vivien Leigh in the titular role.
  • I'll also try to catch Beasts of the Southern Wild and - finally - Lawless this weekend, as I haven't seen any new movies in a very long time.
  • Gustav has been out of control lately. I'm thinking of getting him a hoodie with the sign "Gangsta Yorkie" since some of my neighbors actually run to their homes with their big dogs in panic when they see us - Gustav wants to play with every dog, so he starts to whimper and jump, getting all the other dogs agitated. He also found a new favorite game - he is well aware that my mother doesn't like it when he sits on the couch in the living room so he keeps doing that, making her chase him. It goes and on until my mother gives up - he is impossible to catch. Whenever she yells at him, he ignores her for next few hours. It's hilarious - when I call his name he is instantly on my side but when my mother does he pretends he doesn't hear her. The only thing that made me laugh harder than this this week was that gif:
  • I hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving - I live in Europe so we don't have that here and I'm very envious of Americans - it's just such a lovely holiday, historical beginnings aside. I know a lot of bloggers were using that opportunity to thank the people who stop by, read and comment and I'm no exception - thanks for the time you all spend here, it's such a joy to recieve all the comments and kind words.

  • links:
    • Andina shares her 3 favorite roles from Nicole Kidman
    • m.brown enjoyed Skyfall
    • ruth shares some delightful music from Disney films
    • Alex shares his favorite character introductions
    • Amy reviews There Will be Blood
    • Linds, Steven and Max review Silver Linings Playbook
    • Stephanie shares 15 memorable cinematic rants
    • Chris reviews Frankenweenie, which I can't wait to see
    • Diana reviews Ruby Sparks

    RELATED POSTS:

    32 comments:

    1. Haha I saw that LOTR gif. So funny. Legolas= best.

      I think for the reasons you loathe Jennifer Lawrence are exactly why I love her :P

      LUTHER!! Sister Mary! Colostrum :S :S

      Beasts of the Southern Wild is lovely.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Her humour is just really not for me, I think she comes of as very ignorant.

        God, that Colostrum thing was awful. Quinto and Paulson are friends in real life, they are really terrific actors to pull it off.

        Awesome, can't wait to see it!

        Delete
    2. LOL at the LOTR gif. I also love the Big Bang Theory. I'm a fan of Jennifer Lawrence, but she does say A LOT of stupid stuff in interviews. Plus I don't think she actually read the Hunger Games books like she said, because I remember seeing an interview where she was asked about a lot of the things that happened in the movie/book and she answered a lot of them wrong. Fan of her work, but yeah..interviews aren't the best.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm really astonished that the producers didn't stop her intereviews, it seems like every day new dumb stuff she said resurfaces. After that Leno appearance they should have told her to stay home and send Cooper in, he is always very pleasant and likable in talk shows. Oh well, now she loses fans and I think that is what she desrves after what she said.

        Delete
    3. I've had a girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence for a while, but I've been seeing her in interviews lately too, and it's extremely disappointing. She's starting to come out as cocky and slightly uneducated. Sad face.

      And try to see Beasts of the Southern Wild. One of my favorites of the year!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think she is quite simple really and she doesn't comprehend how stupid she sounds. It only hurts her career but it's all her fault.

        I'll try to catch it today!

        Delete
    4. Thanks for the link love...

      Jennifer Lawrence don't like shy people...

      but... I'm very shy. *cries*

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I think you deserve better :)

        Delete
    5. That picture of Gustav is criminally adorable.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I managed to capture him yawning by accident :)

        Delete
    6. Thanks for the link, Sati. I always appreciate it.

      Jennifer Lawrence? Check.
      So, who else is on your shit list?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're very welcome!

        Off the top of my head - Joaquim Phoenix, Lars Von Trier, Ellen Page, Wes Anderson and Anna Paquin.

        Delete
    7. I'm really looking forward to Silvers Linings Playbook, so that's disappointing to see Lawrence say those things. I like her work, but she should stick to promoting her film.

      Just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild, and I loved it. Hope you like! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I like her work too, but it's just so off putting when the actresses is such a dumb ass.

        Awesome, can't wait!

        Delete
    8. I consider myself a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence since Winter's Bone, but damn, what a stupid, bitchy thing to say. This is why I try to know as little as possible about people whose work I admire. *Sigh*

      It's funny that so many people deeply relate to Sheldon, though he's the type of character folks tend to avoid in real life. I adore Sheldon, but I would not want to live with him. :-D Jim Parsons is wonderful, and this character is definitely raising awareness of Aspergian personalities. Hopefully in a good way. ;-)

      When I got to the Twilight bit, I thought, "The Twilight movie? Why the hell would she want to subject herself to that?" Then I read the alternative was reviewing 1000 court cases for your dissertation, which made me tired just thinking about it. Aw, what's a few sparkly vampires?

      The new Anna Karenina is so bad you're rooting for the train? Oh no! Nobody gets to mutilate Tolstoy.

      The LOTR gif is funny. :-) I love thoise movies, but damn, there are some cheesy lines.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I'm kinda staying away from Oscar roundtables because I dread the things that may be said there by people who I consider to be likable.

        I share Sheldon's inability to understand certain human interactions and the desire so many have to be in a relationship, I really don't get that. Parsons is fantastic in this role, he is so believable yet he plays such a unique character.

        I actually enjoy Twilight movies, but I'd never go to see the Hunger Games sequel after seeing the first one. Twilight is what it is while THG unsucessfuly appears to try to be something else which is a serious movie. Out of those two franchises I definetly prefer a little vampire silliness :)

        Yeah, that's what I read. I suspected things won't work since they got Johnson to play Vronsky.

        Delete
      2. Interesting what you said about why you relate to Sheldon. I think there should be wider understanding and acceptance of the fact that not everyone *wants* to eventually get married or be in a serious intimate relationship. I've been married since Jesus was around (or that's how it feels some days), and I wouldn't have it any other way, but I don't understand why some people assume that's what *everybody* wants or needs.

        One of my kids has already said, in so many words, that, while she wants to date, marriage and kids are definitely off the table and -- for the most part -- she prefers the company of dogs to people. :-) I completely respect and support that.

        Delete
      3. I would have no problem getting married if I found someone who both fascinates me and whom I love, but let's face it it's very rare to find. I don't understand why so many people settle for someone, I don't think being "alone" is a bad thing. I'd certainly feel more comfortable on my own than being stuck in a relationship I'm not happy in, just so that I wouldn't be called a "spinster" or a "weirdo".

        Dogs are better companions than people as loyalty and care for others are rare qualities in human beings :)

        Delete
    9. Thanks so much for the link! I don't do Thanksgiving here too, but thanks a lot too for your visits and comments, Sati.

      So what do you think about Breaking Dawn? Yes, I too was in the mood for something stupid and fun when I watched it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're very welcome!

        I liked it, not as much as New Moon and Breaking Dawn part 1 but it wa close. It was a huge improvement on visual effects, the final battle looked pretty cool which was surprising.

        Delete
      2. Surprising, alright! I read other people mentioned that the twist was used in Sherlock Holmes (and I too remembered).

        Delete
      3. Oh, that's right! I even liked this movie more than Sherlock Holmes 2 :)

        Delete
    10. Thanks so much for the link, dahling. Hmmm, I like Jennifer Lawrence but that comment about shy people is so uncalled for, I mean seriously, not everyone is meant to be a social butterfly!

      So you did see Anna Karenina then? Ahah, one actually said the film is so bad you are rooting for a train? Ouch! I'm waiting for the Blu-ray as I'm not fond of Keira's casting and having just read the book, I feel like the film is too much style over substance.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yeah, she appears to be very ignorant :/

        I did see 97's version, still not sure whether to see new one in the cinema. I think the book is very difficult to translate on screen with two parallel stories going on, so when that fails maybe the visuals will save it from being a total distaster :)

        Delete
    11. Thanks so much for the link! I started American Horror Story this weekend because of you! Loving it so far.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! That is awesome news, I'd love to read your thoughts on the show!

        Delete
      2. Almost done with Season 1. So addictive. So fun.

        Delete
      3. I'm so glad you like it! I think Season 2 is even better, literally the only show I look forward to all week long.

        Delete
    12. Thanks for the link! Cute picture of Gustav!

      ReplyDelete
    13. So this is when JL hate started ;d . I see why. I am not sure why she says all those things that she can just keep to herself.
      I've been reading your older posts. Not many new ones posted, so I skim through your old ones.
      And your dog's awesome.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, it goes way back :)

        My dog has officially taken over that bed by now :)

        Delete