Friday, December 7, 2012

(56) Ho, ho, ho! + links

By Sati. Friday, December 7, 2012

  • This week American Horror Story featured one of the best things ever - Ian McShane as a psycho Santa. It was so awesome and according to Ryan Murphy we will also see him next week! The episode was filled with terrific things including Sister Satan decorating Christmas tree and receiving feces stained earrings from Dr Arden. But more on that tomorrow.
  • I finally saw few films this week - this is the upside of being sick and having a headache, I'm in too much pain to learn but it's the perfect time to see films - unfortunately, I didn't have much luck as I didn't really like any of the movies I've seen. Quantum of Solace, which I saw for the second time as I didn't remember much from the first viewing, was very disappointing. Premium Rush was just terrible and I admire myself for actually finding the strength to finish that movie. Beasts of the Southern Wild was certainly unique but other than for the lovely score I found it very forgettable.
  • This week brought New York Critics Society and National Board Review awards and they certainly shook out the Oscar race - Zero Dark Thirty is so far the front runner for Best Picture Oscar while the current favorite for Best Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway, didn't get anything! Lincoln seems to be getting lots of awards and Matthew McConaughey and Leonardo DiCaprio got awards for Best Supporting Actor. The Master seems to be out of the race. Satellite nominations were also announced and they were a triumph for Les Miserables. Golden Globe nominations are announced next Wednesday, precisely at the time of my test. I mean me failing my test.
  • Speaking of Anne Hathaway, she always has the most amazing outfits and I really love the dresses she is choosing for the premiers and photo calls for Les Miserables. One of the premieres was on the day of Amanda Seyfriend's birthday and Hugh Jackman got on one knee and sang Happy Birthday for her. On my birthday I just got drunk and watched Luther.
  • Another thing that happened this week was the announcement for what movies will be shown at Sundance. One of them is intriguing Stoker with Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman and Matthew Goode. That movie has really amazing posters.
  • New The Big Bang Theory was better than last week's episode, but still wasn't very good. Parks and Recreation was very funny, though it's still a very weak season.
  • This week we got a first very quick look at the third season of Game of Thrones. The show comes back near the end of March and I really can't wait.
  • In another movie news, we got a whole bunch of new pics and posters this week - including the photo of Sam Rockwell in The Way, way back. The film is scripted by people who wrote one of the dullest movies of last year - The Descendants - but since it has Sam Rockwell, I'm in. We also got another look at Naomi Watts as princess Diana and the poster for Man of Steel with Henry Cavill as Superman. I'm not a big fan of Zack Snyder's films but it has Henry Cavill. In a tight suit. And he is going to fly and do a lot of cool stuff. Plus the movie has Amy Adams and Michael Shannon.
  • Gustav is having very Christmas themed week. My mother is making him a Santa hat for Christmas and he also got new sweater from her. You know what I got? Cough syrup since I'm sick. Well, anyways, Gustav doesn't seem to love his gift as you can see from his expressions on the picture. He also made a new friend - 4-month old Shih Tzu that my neighbors got. Today Gustav was supposed to have a surgery, but since he has a cold, it was postponed for next week. I only found out about that at the vet's office, so it didn't spare me the stress - I was up all night and not in the fun way.
  • There is a whole bunch of movies I want to see in theatres right now - Anna Karenina, Killing them Softly, Frankeweenie, The Master and Seven Psychopaths. Unfortunately, I'm sick and all my friends are either leaving the town for Christmas break or they are busy working. Plus I'm quite feverish so if I went alone and passed out it would be pretty embarrassing.
  • Apparently, Lee Pace is in the first Hobbit movie for 3 seconds! 3 seconds! What the fuck is this shit? Thankfully, he made the dashing appearance on NYC premiere of the movie.. Still crushing hard. I actually have to PACE myself watching Pushing Daisies not to overdose on all of that cuteness. In another hot news Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba were spotted together in London this week:


  • links:
    • Tippi wrote an amazing review for one of my favorite horror films - The Descent.
    • m.brown really loved Flight, which I can't wait to see.
    • I'm very honored to be Stevee's choice for blog of the month - she also announces awesome blogathon in the same post .
    • Alex reviews Oslo, August 31st which sounds like a fascinating movie.
    • Josh shares his December Oscar predictions.
    • Jaina saw very charming and heartwarming Lars and the Real Girl - perfect film for this time of the year.
    • Terry reviews Steve McQueen's harrowing Hunger.
    • Brittani saw brilliant My Summer of Love.
    • Mark reviews Sinister, one of the better recent horror films.
    • Diana saw Silver Linings Playbook, which is one of the most anticipated movie for me.
    RELATED POSTS:

    26 comments:

    1. Oh, new nominations? i haven't seen them, thanks for reminding me! I haven't seen Les Mis, but I am already rooting for Anne Hathaway- come on Oscar!
      I totally agree on the Henry Cavill front- I can't wait to watch that movie!
      Thanks for the link, yet again you are wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, I really want her to win too! It's such an amazing part and I'm sure she did a great job.

        Oh he is so yummy, even if the movie sucks it will be worth seeing ^^

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the link! I literally lol'd at your response to Hugh Jackman singing 'Happy Birthday' to Amanda Seyfried. Mine was pretty uneventful as well. I think I'm actually jealous of Amanda.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I think everyone's birthday is uneventful comparing to that :) I really laughed when I saw that - you can see how shocked and thrilled Amanda was from her expression on that pic ^^

        Delete
    3. I'm not a fan of most of Ryan Murphy's work, but casting Ian McShane as psycho Santa... genius!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm so thrilled Murphy got McShane on the show, I really hope he will be in season 3!

        Delete
    4. So glad you enjoyed my review!! This kind of movie is honestly the reason I love blogging; waxing philosophical about a movie that really struck me as special would probably get old very fast in a "real world" conversation, but in the blogosphere I can connect with people who look at it with the same level of appreciation. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was really the best review of Descent I read, beautifully written and very insightful. In a world where there are so few good horror movies this one really scared me and it was so well made.

        Delete
    5. Thanks for the link, cannot recommend Oslo, August 31st enough. Gah, I really need to catch up on AHS!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I'll try to check it out during holiday break, the university stuff is really cutting in my drinking/movie watching time :P

        If you liked season 1 you will LOVE season 2!

        Delete
    6. Quantum of Solace is probably my least favorite Bond film. The camera movement annoyed the hell out of me, and I barely remember who the villain was. Sorry you didn't like Beasts of the Southern Wild, I thought that was a good watch. Can't wait for Zero Dark Thirty, so far 100% on rotten tomatoes

      Get well soon!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, the camera movement was absolutely terrible, I could barely follow what was going on. I can't wait for Zero Dark Thirty too!

        Thank you!

        Delete
    7. Holy crap, I would love to hang out with Idris and Fassbender.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Elba and Fassbender. I'm sorry, I need to take a break for an hour or so..............

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know, it's just too much hotness :)

        Delete
    9. Thanks for the link! I'm excited to see that Matthew McConaughey is getting a lot of love, but I really hope that this is Leo's year...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yes, Leo is long overdue for Oscar!

        Delete
    10. Thanks for the link! :)

      I'm really looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty too, especially given the recent awards attention. Les Mis should lead the Golden Globe nominations though, and Anne should definitely win there.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I think Anne is definitely taking the Globe, though I'm not sure about the movie, Silver Linings Playbook is probably competing in comedy/musical category too.

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the link! Good stuff up there about Cavill...fingers crossed on Supes.

      The Descendants was boring!?? Nooooooo!!!!! That movie was brilliant! I'm giving you a Boo!

      Oh, but the link counts as two Yays. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I really hope it will be better than Sucker Punch, on the other hand it would be really hard to shoot something that would suck harder :)

        I really couldn't get into it despite Clooney being in it and me having a drink while watching it :) If I'm drinking while watching the movie and i still don't like it, I'll never like it ^^

        Delete
    12. Cannot wait for season three of Game of Thrones! Next year is shaping up to be an awesome one for TV.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really think season 3 may be the best one yet!

        Delete
    13. I hope you get well soon. That's a lot of good movies in the theaters!
      Gustav looked very cute with his new hat and sweater.
      Premium Rush seems to be made only for the bike riders.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you!

        I generally don't like bike riders because most of them seems to think they own the streets and they don't give a crap about pedestrians. I didn't mind the film focusing on them, it really might have been entertaining but the story was very boring and forgettable.

        Delete