Friday, January 4, 2013

(60) Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? + links

By Sati. Friday, January 4, 2013
  • I needed something cheerful to watch this week and boy, did I found a true gem. British sitcom The It Crowd which follows two awkward IT guys. There is this episode called "The Work Outing", where Roy played by Chris O'Dowd is in the theatre and he uses the toilet for the disabled, though he is not disabled. He pulls the rope that he thinks will flush the toilet, but it's really an emergency rope and then the whole staff gets there. He needs to pretend he is actually disabled and someone stole his wheelchair, because he is embarrassed for using that toilet. I was in tears for most of that episode - I haven't laughed like this in months.
  • During New Year's Eve Gustav proved that he is the bravest of us all - he didn't get scared by fireworks or anything. Whenever something explodes next to me on New Year's Eve I just run away, screaming.
  • Uma Thurman is the luckiest chick in the world in Ceremony.
  • I saw Killing Them Softly which was extremely disappointing. The scene where Ray Liotta receives the beating may just be the most unpleasant thing I've seen in 2012 films. Then it turned out that my on-going rambling about how much I love Lee Pace actually got Mettel Ray to see Soldier's Girl. I thought to myself "I should really review this one, because one of the goals I have here on the blog is to get people to see some films they didn't even hear of". But in order to review it I had to see it again. I wept non-stop for the last 25 minutes of this movie. Again.
  • I also saw Infamous - another super cheerful film, this time about Truman Capote (here played by Toby Jones) and his fascination with two murderers. One was played by Daniel Craig. The other - obviously more disturbed one because that's just my luck - was played by Lee. The film was fine and the cast was amazing. The sequence of the killing was really horrifying.
  • I was really messed up after all of those films so I decided I need to see 1. a film where Lee plays a man 2. a film where Lee is not killing people. So I chose Ceremony. Uma Thurman played his love interest in this one (!). The film was forgettable and average but at least Lee was really funny and his regular handsome self in it. So I ended the year entertained after all.
  • Speaking of gorgeous men, we got a very quick look at the new season of Luther this week. I really hope it's Alice texting him!
  • Oh, and I did see The Hobbit. The prologue was good. Some of the visuals were good. I really liked the hedgehogs - especially Sebastian, he was my favorite character in the whole movie. That's it. Well, it wasn't a disaster, actually, but comparing to The Fellowship of the Ring it was really mediocre and I'm being really nice when I use that word. It's astounding to me that Lee as King Thranduil was on the screen for maybe 15 seconds yet the image of his second scene will be forever burned in my mind. I was amused and horrified at the same time - he rides in on an elk, the dwarves ask him for help and he just rides away with the best BITCH PLEASE look on his face I've seen in 2012 movies. All the while wearing the crown with woodland berries in it. That was some surreal shit right there.
  • Have I got some juicy Dicaprio news for you all! First, read about his dedication on the set of Django Unchained. Give this man his Oscar before he rips off his own arm and starts hitting himself with it. And the other thing - while Thranduil simply travels in style, Leo certainly lives and does everything in style. This week he took lucky and shocked Jonah Hill for a party on a yacht with some super hot chicks. Dude knows how to roll.
  • Carrie remake got postponed to October. And I was so looking forward to laughing my ass off in March.
  • Golden Globes ceremony and Oscar nominations are next week!

  • links:
    Look at him. He is so shaken he can't even pronounce his name.

    RELATED POSTS:

    36 comments:

    1. The IT Crowd is one of my all time favourite shows (I do work in IT though which helps). That episode was so funny!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad you like it! The show is so hilarious, I love it whenever Roy cries or talks in scared voice :D

        Delete
    2. Ha. Yes, I feel like I get extremely motivated by your movie and show choices lately since I'm very bad at deciding. Plus, I think there are rare movies out there. Especially those TV movies that end up slipping through the cracks like Soldier's Girl.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. There are so many great TV movies that are underrated and unknown. Some of those like "Dirty Filthy Things" and "Dark harbor" are actually in my top 100. And it's all because of my love for specific actors, otherwise I would never find them :)

        Delete
      2. I'd wish I fell in love with an actor from a show that resulted in a marathon of movies. But not any time soon I guess.. :D

        Delete
      3. Oh, it's not just the actors from shows with me - I saw some of the most obscure movies with Rickman and Sheen when I discovered them :)

        Delete
    3. Aw, even Leo can stumble every once in a while. Someone put him in a comedy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I laugh a lot during his movies but I don't think that was the intention of people who made them :P

        Delete
    4. That reminds me: I need to get back to Luther season 1!

      Really hope DiCaprio wins an Oscar this year. He gives a great performance in a challenging role in Django.

      Thanks for the link! One of my picks seems to be more popular than the other one. ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You really do! Season 1 finale and season 2 premiere are probably my two favorite episodes aside from the pilot :)

        I can't wait to see Django! I will definitely get to see it this month.

        You're welcome! :)

        Delete
    5. I love The IT Crowd. That episode also had me in tears.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was so funny. When they were lifting him to the van and everyone kept waving I completely lost it :)

        Delete
    6. I love that gift of Leonardy - One of my favorite bloopers from Unscripted. And, he gives such an amazing performance in Django Unchained. It has to be his time this year. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He seems like a very funny and nice person, but I really enjoy all of those hilarious gifs of him :P

        I really hope so, after Anne Hathaway he is the one I'm rooting for the most this year.

        Delete
    7. My goodness. You say I'm on twitter like it's a good thing! I feel like my grandfather trying to record the message on his answering machine.

      What do I say? Do I talk now? Aw, jeez. [Starts. Stops abrubtly]The Hell with this!

      But, that said, thanks for the repeated kindness, Sati. I always appreciate it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's a great thing! I'm totally going to spread some Follow Friday twitter love your way today :)

        Delete
    8. Thanks for the the link and kind words dahling Sati. Oooh Chris O'Dowd, LOVE him in The Sapphires and I had never heard of him before. Man, why hasn't I seen Ceremony yet?? Lee Pace!!! [swoon] Yes, Uma is one lucky gal :D

      Great post as always, love all the gifs! Man, only Idris can make something as simple as twirling a hand phone sexy!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I saw O'Dowd in Bridesmaids and really like him, I knew he was in British sitcoms but he is really incredibly hilarious in The IT Crowd. Lee makes Ceremony worth seeing :) He looks so....yummy in this one :D

        Absolutely. I would watch him do that all day long :P

        Delete
    9. Oh the I.T Crowd! I adore it so much, and that episode is brilliant! I love the one where Moss has the uh..'misunderstanding'...with the German chef, too :)
      I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the Hobbit so much (I kinda loved it!) but I can assure you just from the book that Thranduil is going to continue being badass. Thorin was also badass. When they meet, it's going to be a badass-off.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, I loved the anti-piracy spoof in the German episode :lol: And "People...what a bunch of bastards!" line. What a hilarious show, I hope there will be some sort of special or 5th season.

        Oh I can't wait for them to meet. Thorin is super pissed off and Thranduil looks like he will take shit from no one :D

        Delete
    10. I saw that episode of The IT Crowd, hilarious stuff (:

      The Hobbit I enjoyed for sfx and High-frame-rate-experience, but the story was too close to Fellowship for my taste.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I laughed so hard whenever he said "I'm disabled!" :P

        I didn't mind the story being similar, all the action scenes with talking creatures were kinda crappy and boring and I wasn't bored at all during FOTR.

        Delete
    11. Aww, poor Leonardy!

      Have been told so many times to watch the IT Crowd. Should make an effort! I did see the American unaired pilot remake thing, which had Richard Ayoade and Joel McHale starring in it. GOD it was AWFUL.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, I may start calling him Leonardy now :D

        I can imagine :/ The original is hilarious and I'm not that easily amused, I think you will like it!

        Delete
    12. Loving the IT Crowd! :)

      I really think it's about time DiCaprio won an Oscar. I reckon there'll be blood round these parts if he doesn't this year!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad to see so many fans of the show!

        He really deserved it so many times I truly hope this year is the time to reward him.

        Delete
    13. Hi! I've nominated you for an award! :) http://thefilmsloth.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-year-new-ways.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I probably won't be making award post, but thank you so much! :)

        Delete
    14. Ah, Luther. I definitely think he's texting Alice. ;-) That may be very well be the weirdest television relationship of all time.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Weirdest but so oddly romantic :) They really need to hook up. I hope it happens in season 3.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    15. Thank you for the link!

      http://coreyatad.tumblr.com/post/39666350499/give-leo-the-oscar-you-bastards Just because :P

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're very welcome! :)

        Haha, I love those gifs ^^

        Delete
    16. Leo is the man.

      Did you see The Hobbit in HFR? I think it helped the movie overall, though I know *a lot* of people didn't like the format.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He really is :)

        I didn't I'm not really into these new ways the movies are made, even 3D makes my head hurt and I only occasionally decide to watch films in that.

        Delete
    17. I'll never tire of you hailing my posts, seriously makes my week. Thanks!

      Those stills of Jonah Hill crack me up. Go on and get it, homie.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        He looks so confused and innocent:D

        Delete