Friday, January 25, 2013

(63) I have a to-do list here that is longer than a fucking Leonard Cohen song!* + links

By Sati. Friday, January 25, 2013
* in the words of great Malcolm Tucker, The Thick of It, 3x01
  • My week has been utter shit - I've been learning more hours than I was sleeping, I'm convinced that my blood is no longer there and it's the coffee that runs through my veins. I have two exams - one on Monday and the other on Thursday. 120 philosophical terms to explain and memorize, 500 pages of articles, 400 pages of books and 49 verdicts to memorize along with 4 essays which I wrote but have to write again on exam (dumbest idea ever). While essays are relatively easy, since it's basically few terms and you can write a lot explaining those, 49 verdicts about shit as dumb as importing wool is just beyond my ability to memorize as my brain rebels when in contact with redundant. This is hell.
  • I haven't seen any new films in about 10 days, I'm not able to play with Gustav as much as I would want to and I won't be able to see SAG ceremony live on Sunday night as I'll be making the last futile attempts to put some knowledge into my empty brain. I'm dead inside.
  • There will be fewer updates on the blog in upcoming days. However, as soon as I manage to see Life of Pi and The Master (next Friday at earliest) I will post my "best of" post because it's nearly finished and it will give you all something to read - and hopefully - to laugh about, as there is a lot of categories in that and I add them almost daily. I also have Anna Karenina review in draft, and it only needs few more paragraphs before I completely rip this movie apart. I also appear to be the only person in blogosphere who actually liked Aaron Johnson's performance. And let's not forget just how much I despise Kick Ass.
  • While I don't plan on seeing Oz - The Great and Powerful in theatres, I must say that the combination of Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz is absolutely lovely. While Oz trailer is at least dazzling, I had a misfortune of seeing another trailer this week - the one for Beautiful Creatures, which appears to be something every single Twilight hater out there should focus their bitterness on. Not only does it look even dumber than Twilight, but also it looks incredibly cheap. And why does Hollywood simplify witchcraft and magic always throwing in some dumb light/dark storyline there? At least Oz has some diversity as I understand the evil witches have two sides. I wish the money that goes on this teenage shit would go on a decent movie about Salem witch trials, the only thing that came close was The Crucible and it wasn't even that great, not to mention it's from 19 years ago.
  • I haven't really been able to follow anything this week except for the news about Stoker which I'm eagerly anticipating. The first reviews are pretty good and even compare the film to Black Swan so I'm very excited. I read a script a while ago - fun trivia - it was written by the actor who played main guy in Prison Break. Despite that, the script was actually pretty good and entertaining and Mia Wasikowska plays a somewhat grown up version of Wednesday Addams, only in real world.
  • American Horror Story: Asylum finale was as good as it could possibly be. Very strong work from Sarah Paulson and overall much more satisfying conclusion than the one for last season. It even managed to surprise me several times. The recap will be posted on the blog next Saturday.
  • Look how cute Emily Blunt and John Krasinski are:
  • 1 month to Oscars and 2 months to new Game of Thrones!
  • So apparently Jennifer Lawrence SNL episode did not go well. Not that she is to blame - from what I heard - the sketches weren't funny. There are actually few articles where people who wrote them wondered...if it won't cost her the Oscar. Apparently Weinstein is doing what he can, there are more FYC ads sent to Academy promoting Silver Linings than about any other movie. If people are losing Oscar over stuff like this, can Hathaway please lose it on account of being obnoxious and phony?

  • links:
    • Alex Thomas shares his top 50 of the year - check out what's his number 1!
    • Ruth posted a collection of beautiful minimalist posters inspired by James Bond films
    • Alex wrote about fantastic scene from The Departed
    • Fogs Movie Reviews and On the Screen Reviews have posts about Mama
    • Chris reviewed Lincoln
    • m.brown wrote a lovely review for Silver Linings Playbook
    • Steven choses best performances of the amazing Philip Seymour Hoffman
    • I completely share Mark's views on Seven Psychopaths - not funny and disappointing.
    • Mettel Ray reviews Life of Pi
    RELATED POSTS:

    36 comments:

    1. Best of luck with your hell week.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for the link love. That mag cover w/ Mila, Michelle, and Rachel.... gorgeous.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yeah, they all look so beautiful!

        Delete
    3. I am exhausted from just reading about your law school workload. It sounds grueling, and worse it's cutting into your film-viewing and your Gustav time. At least the finish line is in sight.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, no it isn't :) If I pass the exams there is still dissertation and then studying basically everything I studied for the last 5 years to pass the bar. And even if I do that, it's 26 more months of legal training and there are exams during that too - passing the bar is hard but not getting kicked out of legal training is even harder :)

        It's like a nightmare that keeps getting worse ^^

        Delete
    4. Good luck with all your school stuff and kick some butt!

      Thanks for the link! :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Have you seen the Russell Crowe/Britney Spears outfit picture? It's hilarious! Crowe retweeted it. Oz looks so terrible, but all three ladies look gorgeous on that cover.

      I'm excited about Stoker!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I did :P Good that Russel has sense of humor he may need it while reading Les Mis reviews :)

        Awesome, I can't wait too! Great that it scheduled to premiere in spring and the wait isn't too long.

        Delete
    6. Ha shit, those Les Mis stills are hilarious. That movie... (sigh)

      I'm glad you found positive reviews of Stoker. Initially, I could only find moderate-to-negative reviews, which was bumming me out. But I still think it'll be bitchin.

      Thanks for the link, so cool that you like that scene!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, I didn't even bother with the review, just wrote some stuff on letterboxd :)

        Oh, I saw only fresh ones on Rotten Tomatoes and the audience response seemed positive too. I'm sure it won't be terrible :)

        You're welcome! Well, yeah, Vera is in it ^^

        Delete
    7. The three lovely ladies do look good on the cover of InStyle, but I won't see the movie either!
      Those Javert gifs are great!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The film looks like a huge waste of their talent, but I'll probably see it on DVD or I'll be forced to go the cinema if I'll happen to babysit again :)

        Delete
    8. Thanks for the linkage, TDKR buddies! Quite excited for your top movies which should be pretty similar in parts :)

      Good luck with the exams, think about how relaxing it will be when they are over!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! :) Oh yeah Prometheus and TDKR are definitely not leaving my top 10 ^^

        Yeah, 4 more days....can't wait for Friday :)

        Delete
    9. Sending you lots of lucky thoughts and best wishes for your exam!!! I'm sure you'll ace it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Today went pretty well, hopefully Thursday will too :)

        Delete
    10. Good luck on your exams Sati and thank you for the linkage. Much appreciated. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! You're very welcome, great review!

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the mention, appreciate it! :-) And the best of luck with exams and everything else!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My pleasure and thank you! Luck is crucial here:)

        Delete
    12. Hathaway's apparent phoniness bothers me, but frontrunners always seem to feign their surprise. It reminds me of No Country for Old Men winning Best Picture and producer Scott Rudin saying it was a "complete surprise". I guess it helps to play the game if you want to win though.

      Good luck on your exams!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I was quite lucky today, hopefully I'll be lucky on Thursday too ^^

        It always bothers me when frontrunner says 'oh, what a surprise!" I mean can't they just start with enthusiastic 'thank you'?

        Delete
    13. Wow, you manage to write a lot with that empty head of yours :)
      No, honestly, good luck with your exams. And thanks for the great links.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know, it's remarkable :)

        Thank you!

        Delete
    14. Hello Sati, thanks so much for the link. Bummer that you haven't seen any new movies. I look forward to your Anna Karenina review, I haven't seen it yet but I have a feeling I wouldn't love it. I do like Aaron Johnson though, especially in Nowhere Boy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! He was really good in Anna Karenina, I think he gave the best performance out of the cast. The film is very mediocre, but it looks pretty...which I guess is an asset :)

        Delete
    15. I have all my bile ready to be spat out at Beautiful Creatures and The Host. Why do we need more Twilight-esque crap? That's right, we don't. But it makes shit tonnes of money. *sigh*

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. These two franchises look horrible. I don't know why such talented actress like Saoirse Ronan and Emmy Rossum are wasting their time on this ;/

        Delete
    16. You know, I posted a thank you from my phone on Friday, but apparently, and unsurprisingly, I'm an idiot.

      Very much looking forward to your Best Of list...rather curious, since I can never figure you out!

      I mean, Dredd? Dredd!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Dredd was fun, plus I'm in a blood thirsty mood now that I have to study shit for roughly 10 hours a day :/ So seeing lots of gore helps a little ^^

        Delete
    17. Haha, love that bit about Les Mis at the end. I'm with you on Oz -- I have little interest in the movie, but that is a lovely trio of ladies.

      Good luck with your exams, Sati!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I passed one today and I'm still waiting for the results of the other one :)

        Delete