Thursday, January 10, 2013

85th Academy Awards Nominations

By Sati. Thursday, January 10, 2013
Ah, that magical day - when Academy Awards nominations are announced. As you may remember last year I made a post about the nominees with the help of everyone's favorite Uggie from the Artist. This year my little helper is adorable Bonny from Seven Psychopaths. While I wasn't rooting for as many things as last year - including Michael Fassbender, the nomination I hoped for the most that didn't happen - every year I'm excited about the nominations. Seth MacFarlane and Emma Stone announced the nominees today. MacFarlane is not funny at all - I think I will just mute the parts of the ceremony during which he will be saying his lame ass jokes.

The Dark Knight Rises my favorite movie of 2012 since July got nothing. NOTHING. I actually had to look 3 times to make sure my eyes are not deceiving me. Well, the Academy...the only way you can make this up to me is by inviting Lee Pace over for this charade, so that at least I have someone to look at for 4 fucking hours. And you better sit him right between Jean Dujardin and George Clooney for full effect.

I'm not including documentary, shorts and best original songs nominees because I don't really care about those. Here is what happened this year and Good lord is it surprising!:
Silver Linings Playbook
Best Motion Picture of the year:
Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Life of Pi
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

This is quite shocking - Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild are big surprises. I'm so insanely glad Moonrise Kingdom is not among the nominees. I'm rooting for Silver Linings Playbook - I haven't seen it yet, but there is no way it's worse than Zero Dark Thirty, current frontrunner.
Hugh Jackman


Best Actor in the leading role:
Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Joaquim Phoenix, the Master
Denzel Washington, Flight
I'm so happy to see Washington here, who is currently my win. No John Hawkes is a big surprise and the inclusion of Phoenix who pissed off people by saying he doesn't care about the Oscars and doesn't want them is pretty shocking. I wonder if he shows up. Glad to see Bradley Cooper here. I like this guy!

Best Actress in the leading role:

Jennifer Lawrence

Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuele Riva, Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts, the Impossible

Though I didn't include Wallis and Riva in my predictions, few days ago I saw a very cute picture of them together. And then it clicked - it's too adorable to have the youngest and the oldest actress nominee nominated together. And it happened. Sad to see the lack of Marion Cotillard here for her excellent work in Rust and Bone. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope Lawrence wins. Since I'm not fond of her this should tell you how bland Jessica Chastain is.
Best Supporting actor:
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
We feared it and it happened. No Leonardo DiCaprio. One of the worst snubs of the year, especially since Alan Arkin, who was good in Argo but nowhere near nomination worthy, is among the nominees. Fantastic to see Robert De Niro here!
Anne Hathaway, lock to win!
Best Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook
It's bizarre that Helen Hunt got in, while Hawkes didn't. So happy for Anne! And Jacki Weaver - SLP got acting nomination in each category - the last time it happened was 31 years ago! Field - bleh! Shocker? No Kidman!
Animated Feature Film
Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Best Director:
Amour - Michael Haneke
Beasts of the Southern Wild - Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi - Ang Lee
Lincoln -Steven Spielberg
Silver Linings Playbook - David O. Russell
Perhaps the most shocking category - I'm sad to see the lack of Ben Affleck for Argo, especially since such undeserving nods like best supporting actor and best original score happened for the movie and Affleck's direction was truly nomination worthy. But I'm so happy to see the lack of Bigelow for Zero dark Thirty. Good job Academy! And I don't think I ever typed those words. Perhaps Zero Dark Thirty is no longer Best Picture lock? Only 5 nominations and no nomination for the director is a pretty serious red flag.
Best Original Screenplay
Amour Written by Michael Haneke
Django Unchained Written by Quentin Tarantino
Flight Written by John Gatins
Moonrise Kingdom Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
Zero Dark Thirty Written by Mark Boal
Flight? Really? Over Looper? Won't even comment on ZD30 and Moonrise Kingdom.
Argo
Best Adapted Screenplay:
Argo Written by Chris Terrio
Beasts of the Southern Wild Screenplay by Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi Written by David Magee
Lincoln Written by Tony Kushner
Silver Linings Playbook Written by David O. Russell 
That one ain't bad.
Life of Pi
Film Editing
Argo William Goldenberg
Life of Pi Tim Squyres
Lincoln Michael Kahn
Silver Linings Playbook Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers
Zero Dark Thirty Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg
Where is The Dark Knight Rises? WHERE IS IT?
Django Unchained
Cinematography
Anna Karenina Seamus McGarvey
Django Unchained Robert Richardson
Life of Pi Claudio Miranda
Lincoln Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall Roger Deakins
Where is The Dark Knight Rises? WHERE IS IT?
Lee Pace in Lincoln
Costume Design
Anna Karenina
Les Misérables
Lincoln
Mirror Mirror
Snow White and the Huntsman
Whoever dressed Lee Pace in that costume he wears in Lincoln deserves all the love. Approved!
Makeup and Hairstyling
Hitchcock
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les Misérables
No Lincoln?
The Hobbit
Production Design
Anna Karenina
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Anna Karenina with 4 nominations, TDKR - 0 *facepalm*
Original Score
Anna Karenina Dario Marianelli
Argo Alexandre Despla
Life of Pi Mychael Danna
Lincoln John Williams
Skyfall Thomas Newman
These are a joke. No TDKR? No Beasts of the Southern Wild? Argo's score was non-existent.Anna Karenina's score completely missed the spirit of the story. Lincoln's score was only all right. Skyfall's score had only few stand out tracks. Life of Pi is pretty much the only deserving nominee. The Hobbit, Looper, Brave...those would be much better choices.
Prometheus
Visual Effects:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Life of Pi
Marvel's The Avengers
Prometheus
Snow White and the Huntsman
SWATH has 2 nominations. TDKR has none. Thank God at least Prometheus got in.
Sound Editing
Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty
Sound Mixing
Argo
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall
Where is The Dark Knight Rises? WHERE IS IT?
Foreign Language Film
Amour - Austria
Kon-Tiki - Norway
No - Chile
A Royal Affair - Denmark
War Witch - Canada

The ceremony will be hosted by Seth MacFarlane - we will find out who the winners are on Sunday, February, 24th.

39 comments:

  1. WTF - nothing for Looper and Snow White (my least favorite movie I saw last year) gets nominated? Bhah. Nope. I won't even try to follow the Academy Awards with these types of disappointments year after year. BUT - I really have to see SLP - I like Lawrence and I hope it wins all the categories it has nominations! Even if I haven't seen the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty shocked Looper didn't get in for screenplay and tech categories.

      In SWATH defense I think they really did a hell of a job with the costumes, especially the Queen's - the amount of work and preparation that went into that deserved the nomination, maybe even the win.

      I'm seeing SLP today, I'm super excited!

      Delete
  2. I'm rooting for J Phoenix or B Cooper, Day-Lewis has enough awards. I mean, how did Phoenix not win for Walk The Line?

    A bit surprised Hitchcock didn't get noms for acting, only make-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly DDL has enough awards for now. I'm all for Bradley or Hugh winning this.

      Delete
  3. Haha, I had a simliar "where the fuck are all of TDKR's noms?!" I'm pretty upset about that. The lack of TDKR, the lack of Looper in Orig Screenplay, and the Lack of DiCaprio in supporting are the worst things for me. Alan Arkin was pretty much playing himself, and this is coming from someone who LOVED Argo. DiCaprio deserved to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Argo too. I don't understand Arkin love but what I understand even less is the fact that he is getting the nominations while far superior performance - given by Bryan Cranston - is constantly being overlooked.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post! Yeah, the TDKR and DiCaprio snubs are what bother me most. I knew Cloud Atlas might walk away with nothing. ;)

    I think Best Picture is now between Lincoln, Life of Pi, and Silver Linings Playbook. Unless they really surprise us. Maybe Pi gets Director and Les Mis gets Picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Leo is always snubbed but TDKR not in tech nods? That's weird.

      I don't think Lee would get 3rd Director Oscar, I think SLP may be the big winner.

      Delete
  5. Sati, while your dismissal of Moonrise Kingdom makes me sad, I agree with most of your thoughts. I don't get the score nominations for either Lincoln or Argo. I have no memory of either, yet I actually own the score for The Dark Knight Rises. I rarely buy movie scores, if that tells you anything.

    With Supporting Actor, I wouldn't have been as surprised that Leo was out if they didn't nominate another guy from Django. I generally think Supporting Actor is where they reward likable older guys, and Alan Arkin fits the bill. I also think Looper had a great screenplay, but I haven't seen all of the nominees.

    Even so, I think they did a good job overall. There were some big surprises in Best Picture and Directing, which rarely happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really bad because honestly no matter which score wins it's not going to be even one of the 5 best scores of the year :/

      I think the votes split :/ With 3 actors from Django competing, Waltz is actually kinda lucky to manage to get in.

      Delete
  6. No technical nominations for The Dark Knight Rises, no nods for Leo, Marion, or anything for Holy Motors?

    BOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOO indeed. While the actors had competition, I have no idea what the hell the deal is with 0 nods in technical categories for TDKR.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! Bonny was the brightest star of that misguided movie :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, beautiful Oscar reaction post, Sati and you know I agree with a lot of your gripes. Seriously, Best Visual Effects for that dreadful Snow White & The Huntsman and NONE for TDKR, it's just plain wrong.

    Gustav has every reason to be miffed! And amen on this one: "It's bizarre that Helen Hunt got in, while Hawkes didn't." I'd rather see the other way around to be honest though ideally, BOTH would get nominated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the effects in SWATH most of the time, but they were miles behind those in TDKR and Looper :/

      I haven't seen The sessions yet, but so far it was always the two of them getting nominated :(

      Delete
  9. Great write up Sati!! All that matters in my eyes is seeing De Niro nominated again after so long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm so happy for him too!

      Delete
  10. No need to cheer for SLP so that ZD30 doesn't win, Lincoln has this wrapped up by a mile. I pay close attention to the odds and it's not even in doubt, boring!

    I'm also sad about TDKR, a double blow for me with no Moonrise Kingdom love. I had Beasts in my predictions, don't think it was a surprise, Amour certainly was though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? My female intuition must suck because I really don't feel Lincoln is taking Best Picture, but I don't want you to lose money so... :)

      Delete
  11. It's baffling that Leo didn't get nominated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he shows up at the Globes and wins. That would be so awesome!

      Delete
  12. Everything is all right for me when it comes to nominations. I'm most disappointed about Leonardo DiCaprio's snub. I've been a big fan of his for a long time, and his performance still exceeded my expectations... Otherwise, the noms are okay. Can't wait for the live show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are not as bad as last year when I literally didn't know what the members inhaled that they did such horrid things :) Plus the nominations really did stir things up!

      Delete
  13. Saw ZD30. I was a huge supporter of The Hurt Locker, but cannot say the same for ZD30. And as much as I love Chastain (2011 was really her year...Take Shelter, The Tree of Life, The Help), but the character of Maya is as bland as you say Chastain is. I'm actually surprised she was nominated. This is going to be a very interesting Oscar race.

    I'm also rooting for Phoenix. He needs to just shutup and appreciate the recognition. He's an incredible actor. Sean Penn had a nasty relationship with the Academy, but eventually won for Milk. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she doesn't win. I think she is talented and I wish she wins in the future for a performance that is actually worthy of that.

      You know, I think I'll respect Phoenix for not showing up. If he doesn't care, that's cool, but if he shows up now that kinda makes him a hypocrite. I don't like people who stab their co-workers making comments that can hurt the film too, but I hate hypocrites.

      Delete
  14. With you on the TDKR disappointment. Like you, it was my favourite film of last year. Fine, I get it. The Academy doesn't really take note of those "sort" of films. But it was a technical masterpiece as well! The lengths that Nolan goes to to produce his films, especially TDKR, should be given some recognition. Totally mortified that the Zimmer's score didn't get a nom too. WTF?! Only listened to the Skyfall score out of those and agree with you, couple of great tracks, but otherwise eh. Can't believe Howard Shore's score for Hobbit got nothing either.

    Looper not getting original screenplay nom is ridiculous too. *sigh* Just *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - even haters will admit that the film deserved tech nominations. I will never understand why the Academy nominated Argo score. I really liked Argo, but Desplat deserves nothing for his work there.

      Looper was incredibly well written. I'm seriously pissed off they omitted that screenplay.

      Delete
  15. I'm not quite in love with you on TDKR, but I'm not surprised if the movie at least have several nominations. I also didn't like Beasts of the southern wild that much, but I guess the kid deserves a mention. I'm quite surprised with Silver Lining Playbook, I haven't seen it but I thought that this movie is a regular rom com (or maybe I'm wrong). Quite curious with Argo and Lincoln now, also Zero Dark Thirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argo and Lincoln are good films, worthy of the nominations so I hope you'll enjoy them!

      I think the academy went for sLP because from what I heard it does has elements of rom-com but it has very complex, intriguing characters so it's really like a twist on rom-com genre. Plus the performances are very strong and that is usually a big part of the appeal.

      Delete
  16. Excellent, humorous commentary. Love the gif use, as always. You crack me up.

    There's no TDKR because that movie was tripe. I did just say that, yeah. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ZD30 was a tripe and it got major nominations :D:D:D

      Delete
  17. Still can't believe TDKR didn't get a single nomination!

    At least Phoenix got a much-deserved Best Actor nod. I think it's between him and DDL for best performance of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Madness!

      I'm rooting for Cooper on this one. I love it when the underdog wins.

      Delete
  18. I'm happy with most of the nominations actually. I've still yet to see Django and ZDT, but I'm already a little annoyed Leo got snubbed. I like Amy Adams, but I'm pretty pissed she got a nomination, it was such a nothing performance. Obviously I'm rooting for Life of Pi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Amy's work but there is a talk on imdb where people say she is the best one of the nominees, I'm sure I'll like her in the movie - she is always so good.

      Delete