Saturday, February 23, 2013

(67) Which Witch is Which? Well, Disney spoiled it anyways.+ links

By Sati. Saturday, February 23, 2013
  • To ease the pain of waiting for new Game of Thrones (literally counting the days here) I started watching Elementary and The Following. First one is pretty cool, very good acting, nice pacing and it's just amazing to see (and hear! <3) Aidan Quinn again. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are just adorable together. Second has Kevin Bacon so it's enough for me, but with such a great idea for a show they really should drop the moronic teenage love triangle. Also apparently there are people out there who stopped watching the show because it's too gruesome. Um, really? There were 2 disturbing moments in the pilot episode, maybe 10 seconds long. Unfortunately, there was also this one sick fuck who killed dogs. I cheered when he died but he got off too easily. They should have starved the dogs, covered his dick in meat and then unleash them. And I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be enough.
  • Game of Thrones season 3 trailer with actual footage will be released tonight. Oh my God! This thing is pretty huge - they even released teaser for the actual trailer. There's new poster too which is far from being impressive but it suggests Daenerys's dragons will probably grow a bit faster in the show than they did in the books. Look at the size of this fucking thing.
  • I didn't see Christoph Waltz's SNL episode yet. Apparently it was pretty good but the quality of the show lately was just terrible so I'm not holding my breath.
  • This week first screening of 12 Years a Slave was held. Those who have seen it are calling it McQueen's There will be Blood. Well. for some reason. I'm not exactly overjoyed with that. Also the questions to those who saw it were mostly about whether or not Fassbender was naked. For fuck sake people. It's a slavery movie. What is going on in your head to actually ask that? By all means don't ask about the quality of the movie, acting, directing, ask about Fassbender's dick. I know it's gigantic and it's hard not to think about it, but please know the time and the place.
  • Robert Rodriguez has graciously shared first image of Josh Brolin in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. I can't wait to see Eva Green as Ava.
  • First trailer for Bates Motel was even worse than I imagined. All those teenagers. Cheesy dialogue. Freddie Highmore looking like he lost the way to the Chocolate Factory and ended up on some creepy fucking field. Why Vera? Why?
  • I loved new Parks and Rec. We got 2 episodes this week and whole bunch of great Ron moments. Leslie and Ben got married in a pretty cute ceremony. But my favorite moment out of the last three episodes was definitely this one:
  • Modern Family was hilarious this week. Lily glued a wig to baby Joe's head and Mitchell had to give him a hair cut. Half of the episode revolved around everyone trying to avoid being the person who tells Gloria what happened. When they finally revealed the child's new hair style I couldn't stop laughing:
  • I spent around 8 hours in library this week researching my dissertation. I'm dead inside. It's the most depressing place on Earth. I figured I will actually write about specific types of evidence experts. I got my hands on the book which actually details how to conduct autopsies and things of that sort. Watching actual autopsy is gross but bearable. Reading about it is much, much worse because human imagination is way worse than actual reality. There is also one book which would be useful but it's at the library...of economics branch of University. And that particular branch is in another city. The reasoning behind putting a book about evidence experts in legal proceedings in economics library eludes me.
  • On the related subject I started watching The Practice which comparing to Ally McBeal (both written by David E. Kelley) is surprisingly realistic. This right here is why I don't want to be defense attorney. Sure, everyone has a right to have representation in court but I don't have to be the one doing it. The idea of defending a rapist or a serial killer when you know that person is guilty is just horrifying. I rather make less money and write indictment acts about drunk cyclists.
  • Anyway few things so far - it's a really awesome show and the cast is doing great job. The opening credits are pretty fucking terrible though and the character of Lindsey is so annoying - she takes money from drug dealers and then whines about being drug lawyer. I'm enjoying the fact that main character, played by Dylan McDemott back when he was super hot, is a really good guy who has to do pretty terrible stuff sometimes which is kinda refreshing. Nowadays most of the main heroes in TV series are kinda screwed up to begin with. And damn, Lara Flynn Boyle used to be so pretty.
  • Both Jean Dujardin and George Clooney have beards now. And I don't mean Jean's wife and George's current girlfriend - I mean actual facial hair. I don't normally go for that, bu HOLY GOD:
  • These two are the only reason I'm going to watch Oscars live. I don't really care about who wins, at this point I only care about massive surprises, because if Anne Hathaway loses it can potentially be the funniest moment of all the Oscar ceremonies I watched.
  • Speaking of gorgeous men, God bless tumblr and people making gifs from Twilight. I don't have to watch it in slow motion. I have this:
  • I don't much care about music awards but Lana won something on Brit awards, so YEY!
  • Today I had a mission - to find the cross earrings, like the ones Lana wears in the video for Ride. That required me to go to the mall and withdraw money from my Sati needs a new computer account. I swear I'll never buy that computer. The one I'm using right now will finally explode and kill everyone in the building. Anyways I found the earrings that were even better and by 'better" I mean bigger and more shiny. I also bought a blouse because these two items are all I ever buy. It could be worse I guess - if I kept buying shoes and bags at this rate. I actually only have one bag I use which looks a little like something a homeless person would carry. But hey, everything fits in there. 
  • Gustav had his hair cut appointment this week. The girl who does it always charges me the maximum amount for that service - not because she has so much to do. It's because of Gustav being impossible to handle. She wants to trim the hair on his ears? He turns his ass to her. He is also yapping away for 30 minutes. I don't even blame her. Anyways he looks fantastic but since he has shorter hair he now needs to wear his red wool scarf outside, which makes him mad.
  • If you don't want to know who plays The Wicked Witch of the West in Oz don't read that bullet point and don't look at the pictures below. It's (highlight the text) Mila Kunis. Now I do think she looks pretty tacky on pictures below, but still it can work in the movie. I especially like her eyes - very freaky and they make me think of (highlight the text) Black Swan, especially since both in that one and in the end of one of the trailers for Oz we got to hear Mila's delicious evil laughter. I do think it's a little lame of Disney to spoil it - apparently the merchandise on their site has the images of her and the pictures below are from the book detailing the production of the movie that was recently released. If it wasn't for James Franco, who is after Jaime Foxx the second most annoying actor for me, I'd be excited about it. Still, I wish they made Wicked into the movie instead. Although apparently something good came out of Les Mis - with its success the work on the film adaptation of Wicked will reportedly start faster than one might expect. In any case the impending premiere of Oz: The Great and Powerful is a great reason to see The Wizard of Oz again.
  • This week I made a post for Mette's snubathon. I chose Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd. How I made it through 9 terms of law school with such a crappy memory I'll never know - I completely forgot to include Vera Farmiga in Nothing but the Truth and Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns.
  • Mondo released few awesome posters for the movies nominated for Oscars. My favorite is definitely the one for The Master. Whoever did that one got it exactly right. More posters from them will be released during Oscar ceremony.

  • links:
    • Sofia joins Snubathon
    • Courtney shares her top 10 films of 2012
    • Chris and Mettel Ray review Zero Dark Thirty. Both of these reviews are more enjoyable than the film itself.
    • Nikhat shares some of her end of the year lists while Alex celebrates Oscar week on his blog. Check out his favorite best actress wins list - amazing stuff.
    • Josh, 3guys1Movie, Ruth and Alex Thomas share their final Oscar predictions. Almost everyone says Waltz will win. It would be awesome, but so soon? He is not Jodie Foster or Tom Hanks. And for another Tarantino movie?
    • Anna reviews Killer Joe
    • Mette shared a list of her favorite movie villains
    • m.brown wrote hilarious review for Bullet to the Head
    • Stephanie reviewed Warm Bodies which I will hopefully finally see this weekend, after postponing it twice already.
    • Chip wrote brilliant post where he compares Game of Thrones season 2 to its source material.

    RELATED POSTS:
     

    44 comments:

    1. "if Anne Hathaway loses it can potentially be the funniest moment of all the Oscar ceremonies I watched."

      Hahaha definitely! Oz still looks stupid..
      Although, I'm looking forward to seeing Kunis play mean.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it does, but who knows. I bet I'll hate Franco in it, but maybe the movie will turn out to be entertaining when he won't be the center of attention :)

        Delete
    2. Being a big Sherlock Holmes fan, I really was hesitant about Elementary at first. But I've grown to like it. I dont overly consider it an adaptation of Sherlock, rather just a good police procedural that has a character similar to Holmes (the rest is pretty well off from source material). But yeah, I do like the show and watch it every week. I need to eventually try The Following.

      Can't wait for Sin City 2. And wait...Waltz was on SNL? Thats how little I care about that show anymore.

      Modern Family I am a fan of, though. Cam is awesome. Most of them are actually. Didnt think this last episode was anything special. Not the greatest, but still funny. I dont like the spoiled bitch route they're going with Lily, though.

      I'm definitely looking forward to Oz. Me and my gf were recently talking about going back to watch the original as well, before seeing Oz.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it's pretty good and he does behave and looks more like an loose interpretation of Holmes. I like all the little tidbits from the original thrown in there, but mostly it's just a fun show.

        The Following is promising but they have to rethink the plot a little bit, some of the characters are just much less interesting than others and they should just toss them out.

        He was, one of the better hosts recently, at least from what I heard. It's pretty lame that they get people like Bieber to host especially since the material was so pathetic lately.

        Lily is annoying, they are really making her into a bitchy character. I hope they will stop soon.

        I hope it will be at the very least entertaining :)

        Delete
    3. Thanks for the linkage!

      Also, I absolutely envy those who went to that screening of Twelve Years a Slave. With a cast that amazing, I honestly can't wait to see it.

      Nice to know you're liking Elementary as well.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I can't wait too, but mostly this year I look forward to movies that won't destroy me emotionally and McQueen's films always leave me a wreck :)

        It's really fun!

        Delete
    4. I'm doing all I can to avoid the spoiler for Oz: The Great and Powerful...I still have hope for it, but I know it's going to crash and burn so horribly....

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope it won't be terrible. After all they at least have 3 wonderful actresses there :)

        Delete
    5. Despite not seeing the film, that poster is all kinds of great.

      As I used to watch The Practice back in my college days (where the only channel I had was ABC), Bobby is a great character. He's appears to be strong, but also intensely tortured and conflicted inside. And yes, LFB used to be pretty frickin' hot. Then the sickness got a hold of her.

      Your pooch sounds like a tough customer. Dodger always gets good grades at the groomer's, despite multiple shats in their facility. He's a nice guy, just scared, well, shitless. Or is that shitfull?

      Anyway, thanks for the link as always, and the comments, too. You and Steph (and a few others) genuinely carry me through sometimes. I fully appreciate it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I like the way character development goes in The Practice, so far there are only few that appear to be standing still. The cases are pretty great too, but I'm occasionally shocked by what the lawyers say in their closing arguments - I think in reality the judge would yell at them :P

        Haha, Gustav didn't shit anywhere yet, but he usually bites people over there :P

        You're welcome! You should have more readers, damn it!

        Delete
    6. Getting really excited about Sin City 2. Hope it's a worthy sequel.
      Love that poster for The Master.

      Thanks for the link! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The story is awesome, hopefully they will do it well.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    7. Oh man, Ron. But Ben and Leslie made me so happy. Second time I have cried out of joy on this show.

      Cool earrings :)

      Game of Thrones!! AAAA!!

      Thanks for the link :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! :)

        I can't wait. This is a nightmare, 36 days! :(

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    8. Ugh..saving money, I'm so bad at that. I had to buy two pairs of shoes today because I had to throw out three pairs at home. My 'Ruth wants to go overseas' account is looking a little on the glass half empty side, hahaha.
      Heh heh...peasants.
      Those questions you mentioned in regards to 12 Years a Slave really bother me as well. I'm really looking forward to that one, I expect it's going to be as raw and gripping as McQueens other two films, but people asking those questions need their priorities sorted! Magazines and gossip sites report what the public are interested in, and nothing of real importance, but people don't question it because they're consuming nothing else, so that becomes what they want to see, so magazines publish more it of it...it's a vicious cycle! Come on people, we can do better than that!!!
      Gosh I hope Australia doesn't have to wait long for 12 Years a Slave!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh God whenever I absolutely need to buy something I never can find anything. Hate the fact things get destroyed over time :)

        I was genuinely interested in some of the performances, yet people keep asking the same questions. Hell, I don't even know if it's a good movie because the questions were so completely irrelevant to its overall quality.

        Delete
    9. Apologies if this is a duplicate comment. When I commented earlier, my phone messed up. So, don't know if my comment isn't showing because it needs moderated, or because my phone messed up.

      Anyways, I've actually really gotten into Elementary. Being a big Sherlock Holmes fan, I was kinda skeptical at first, but I tried anyways and ended up liking it. Though, I don't entirely view it as a Sherlock Holmes show really. More like a good police procedural, who has someone that's similar to Sherlock (which is about the only accurate-ish part from the source material). While Lucy doesn't pull off a good true Watson character, she is good in the show and they have some good chemistry.

      I need to get around to watching The Following as well.

      Modern Family is another one I watch every week. Really enjoy that show. Cam is awesome. Wasn't overly impressed with this latest episode, but it was good. That haircut was definitely something lol

      I can't wait to see Sin City 2. And Oz is one I'm definitely looking forward to as well. Me and my girlfriend were also recently talking about rewatching Wizard of Oz in preparation of watching Oz.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh it's all right, blogger is acting up sometime when one leaves comments, they should really work on that.

        I love Cam in Modern Family, I think Eric Stonestreet along with Ty Burrell is the best actor on the show. My fav character is Jay, though, I love his annoyed reactions to things :)

        Delete
    10. news/rumour at the playlist which could interest you: Weinstein Company have picked up rights to "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom" with Idris Elba as lead.

      Calling 12 Years a Slave McQueen's There will be Blood. Can't wait to see that one!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I heard Weinstein was interested in acquiring it weeks ago, really glad it finally happened.

        I can't wait to but the movie will probably terribly depress me like McQueen's two previous films :)

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the link and all that info! I still think your weekly updates are a delightful read and I'm jealous.

      PS: I discovered I hadn't seen Modern Family this week. Kind of spoiled it for myself with this gif and all but.. oh well.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome and thank you! :)

        It's still a great episode but they are pushing the idea with Liy being bitchy a bit too hard for me.

        Delete
      2. To be fair, she's in that age of tantrums. Mom has told me some kinder garden stories and they are pretty ... opinionated sometimes, even though they're just kids. :D

        Delete
      3. Yeah but in addition to Cam dressing her up and encouraging that attitude they really aren't shown in favorable light as parents :/ Haley and Manny are pretty spoiled too, but the way Lily is portrayed is quite bothering.

        Delete
    12. Aahahah the Peasants GIF is hilarious

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think I'm gonna start using it on IMDB :)

        Delete
    13. I LOVE that first gif (I can handle dead people ...). You knew I would. :-)

      We just started watching Season 2 of Game of Thrones. I am liking Tyrion Lannister more and more, and Petyr (aka Littlefinger)is getting even slimier. And Dear Lord, what is up with all the incest in this series? :-) I'm starting to have a little trouble keeping up with all the characters, not to mention all the kings and gods.

      Good luck with your dissertation. I agree. I'd rather watch an autopsy than be forced to read about one. I heard a description in the courtroom once (and I've read several descriptions in mysteries). Seeing it in the mind's eye is always worse.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I literally cheered when that guy said it on the Following :)

        Oh yeah, the thing with all the clans, families etc. is tough to follow but comparing to the book is piece of cake. I constantly need to check Song of Ice and Fire wiki because I keep getting lost especially with the point of view chapters. Martin certainly doesn't write books that are easy to read and follow.

        Absolutely, writing about it isn't exactly a picnic either :) Hopefully once I'm done with that chapter I have psychiatrists to write about so it's a bit more pleasant.

        Delete
    14. Had no idea the first screening for 12 Years a Slave happened. Seriously cannot wait for that one. Gustav sounds like such a cute little pain - love that hair cut story.

      Thanks for the link! Glad you liked the actress list.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope it will be as good as Hunger and maybe even close to Shame's level of greatness. Yeah, there are no boring days with him :P

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    15. Thanks for the link, Sati. Bates Motel is really getting on my nerves, I'm expecting the worst. Beard... Clooney... perfection.

      I swear I didn't cry during this week's Parks and Rec.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yeah, I don't know what was Vera thinking.

        He looks so great, oh my God! <3

        Haha, I teared up a little during black and white scenes :)

        Delete
    16. Thanks for the mention, girl <3

      If Anne Hathaway loses, it'll create some amazing GIFS. If she wins, I anticipate the worst Oscar speech ever.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're very welcome! <3 :)

        I hope she doesn't win. She is 1) beyond annoying 2) she doesn't deserve it 3) it would be hilarious if she lost 4) Amy Adams is awesome.

        Delete
    17. You watch so many TV shows! I've been meaning to commit some time to Game of Thrones, haven't watched a single episode of the show yet!

      Cheers for sharing my Oscar predictions, I was very close to tipping Waltz to but went with Tommy Lee. I can't split them at all though. 12 hours away from knowing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. On the downside I haven't seen any new movies in over two weeks :) Usually there is one episode per week so it's a little time to sacrifice, but with the old shows there is plenty to watch.

        Oh, definitely see GOT. It's better than most movies nowadays.

        I wish I cared about Oscars, but one thing is certain - if Waltz wins it will be massive.

        Delete
    18. Hah, Ron Swanson the Answer Man was awesome. Definitely the best part of that episode!

      Love that poster of The Master, too. Mondo never disappoints.

      Great work as always, Sati! Your weekend roundups are always so much fun to read.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He was hilarious, saved the episode for me!

        Thank you! :)

        Delete
    19. Thanks for your link love, Sati, you gorgeous girl you! I love that you're sharing your pics on your blog and of Gustav's too, such a cutie patootie!

      Oh Christoph Waltz is on SNL??! I don't normally watch that regularly but I have to see that on You Tube!! Jean is sooo cute with or without beards but I'm just meh on Clooney generally. But Lee... oh geez! I definitely will rent Breaking Dawn 2 just for him [sigh]

      I've been watching BBC Robin Hood this wknd, basically just to watch Richard Armitage being a bad boy in black leather [yowza!!!]

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome and thank you :) *blushes*

        He hosted a week back I think :) Oh it's worth suffering through Twilight to see him in that ^^

        Woah I can imagine that it was a time well spent :D Robin Hood is pretty hot story to begin with :P

        Delete
    20. UU.. I started watching Elementary, too, I like it!
      The Waltz SNL episode is definitely one of the season's best, watch it!
      12 years a slave is done? I must find that article with the preview opinions! thanks for the heads up!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's a fun show, isn't it? But I need to put it on hold and finally catch up with Bones, haven't seen it in ages.

        I'm gonna need to do that soon, hopefully it's another disappointment.

        I think some of thee technical things aren't finished but yeah, the screenings were held.

        Delete
    21. Belated thanks for the linkage to my Game of Thrones post. I'm glad you liked it. I knew the show was coming back in March, so I was getting excited, but when I checked it wasn't until March 31st, so that was a bit of a let down.

      I'm glad you're enjoying The Practice. The first couple seasons of it were my favorites. Just a heads up: at some point in one of the first seasons they did a two-part crossover with Ally McBeal. I can't remember if The Practice had part 1 or part 2, but you may need to seek out the McBeal episode to make sense of it.

      There's a fun moment when McDermott's character finally can't take the crazies at McBeal's firm anymore.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Actually we are still a bit more lucky this year - last year and the year before it premiered in April, small difference but in this case it is a long and painful wait :)

        Oh I know all of the episodes of Ally so well, the part 1 was in Ally McBeal season 1, I think part is in the Practice season 2 but it didn't get that far yet :)

        Delete