Thursday, April 18, 2013

(75) Sapphires!!! // LAMMY 2013 + links

By Sati. Thursday, April 18, 2013
  • Oh, Jaime. Let me love you.
  • There are a lot of things that would qualify me to be a patient in mental institution but if someone saw me watching Game of Thrones I'd be rushed there. During that scene above I was literally shaking and yelling at Jaime to start talking about sapphires. I think he will yell it this Sunday as they will try to hurt Brienne again. Oh, God!
  • I feel so bad for those who didn't read the books. After the ending to the latest episode the Internet exploded with people expressing how shocked they were pretty much on every show-centric forum. Oh God, that moment wouldn't even make my top 5 of the sickest, most cruel and most shocking things in the book. Top 10 if we include the scenes from book 5 which I have a feeling we will start to see this this season.
  • I always laugh at the most inappropriate parts of Game of Thrones Facebook recaps:
  • I wish Iain Glen didn't speak in the show. When he does, it's a real health hazard for me. Plus it makes me feel dirty.
  • It's only 1/3 of this season and I'm already anxious for all the awesome things I'm going to have to wait for until season 4. Trial by combat. "Only Cat". And of course "Wherever whores go".
  • Maisie Williams aka Arya Stark celebrated her 16th birthday this week. Look how cute.
  • I'm sorry. I have to post that. There were a lot of bad hand jokes and puns this week but this one really made me laugh:
  • I've been making tons of gifsests lately. If there's anything I learned by the amount of reblogs is that people are as excited as I am about the bear pit scene.
  • Damn, check out Khaleesi! I used to think she looks better in the show but I'm not so sure now.
  • I would like to thank those who voted for me in this year's Lammies. But if I'm nominated for funniest writer and m.brown isn't, it really tells you everything you need to know, doesn't it? 
  • I was nominated in Best Blog, Best Design, Best Reviewer, Funniest Writer, Running feature - Visual Parallels. It's really incredibly nice. I'm glad people enjoy my writing - I know people like my design as they mention it a lot but before those nominations I wasn't sure my writing was considered any good too. Funny how I spent twice as much time on other people's blogs than on my own and I'm not nominated for community builder. No problem voting there, though, even if I was nominated that award belongs to Ruth. No offence to everyone else nominated, but she is a treasure. She doesn't even watch Game of Thrones yet she reads my silly posts on that.
  • As you noticed things were a bit slow this week. Two reasons for that - first of all I'm busy with my dissertation and I just don't have the strength to write anymore. I have the time, but I'm really exhausted. Number two - technology hates me. My new computer started acting funny and kept switching off (video card problem, most likely). Once it did that during livestream of Game of Thrones I said fuck it and took it to service. It literally has to run flawlessly only for 10 hours a year, when GoT airs. When it fails to do that, it's madness. Since it's on warranty it's not really a big problem, but the laptop I'm using now is not a way to watch the show. I'm hoping I'll get it back before Sunday. I need to see Jaime on the big screen not on that shit.
  • Blogging world has been more irritating than usual. More and more people are stealing blog, features and design ideas from me. It has gotten to the point where their posts start to look exactly like mine. This is really getting out of hand. People have been sending me lots of messages mentioning those who seem to copy things from my blog. I'm sure most of those are not ill-intended but it takes me hours to make a single post. Hours. I don't post them and make such meticulous additions to the blog so they could be stolen. Sure, I use gifsets that are not my work a lot, but I always try to mention that to the person who made them if I can find the source - also it's gifs. It takes few minutes to make them. If someone reposts my GoT gifs, fine - enjoy. But the whole portions of blog being copied....that's a different issue. To make matters worse people in charge of Blogger are beyond unprofessional. My blogging friend Alex lost over 60 posts. But I'll tell you this much - I'll take blogger over wordpress any day. Their security issues are like something from nightmares.
  • This showed up on my tumblr dashboard. I'm pretty sure someone is trying to kill me.
  • God, I hope he has bodyguards. There are a lot of perverts out there...
  • I haven't seen Elementary in a while. I don't know why exactly since it's a great show. Anyways I
    finally have a reason to catch up - lovely Natalie Dormer aka best Anne Boleyn ever aka Margaery Tyrell has joined the cast as Irene Adler. Jonny Lee Miller posted a pic of himself with Natalie on his twitter.
  • Yeah, I haven't seen any movies this week. Busy, busy, tired.
  •  New David O. Russel's movie has a title - American Hustle. Judging from the images I'd think it's going to be Bad Hair Day.
  • There's been a flood of trailers this week. We got new Man of Steel trailer and I must say I'm far from being impressed. It just felt off. They showed epic things, yet the trailer did not feel epic to me. And if something features shirtless Henry Cavill and doesn't feel epic...something is very wrong.
  • I really enjoyed new trailer for Byzantium. It still doesn't look particularly amazing but damn, is Gemma Arterton hot or what? Also the cinematography looks absolutely incredible.
  • Another thing that happened was MTV Movie Awards. I don't care about any of that, so that's that.
  • I also don't care about Catching Fire trailer. No way I'm seeing this in theatres. I'm also going to have to be really bored (which rarely happens) to see it on DVD.
  • Eva Green's career is in the crapper, ain't it? This is the photo from 300 sequel. Yep, I know she has Sin City 2 in the works, but come on, look at how awful that photo is. It's like worse, cheaper version of Spartacus. This is why I think HBO should make her an offer to be Lyanna in GoT prequel right now. They have all the sets ready and maybe she will bounce back with Sin City 2, so hurry up.
  • I also think HBO owes me naked Richard Armitage in Game of Thrones. I got 3 people to start watching the show and 3 people who will "maybe" watch it soon. And that's this week alone. 
  • Apparently there are...orgies in The Wolf of Wall Street? Oh, please tell me Jean Dujardin is a part of those.
  • There are two new trailers for Only God Forgives. Kristin Scott Thomas looks incredible and also - holy God at that moment when Gosling grabs that chick by her neck. First time I found him hot. Yes I know - I have major issues. The poster for the movie is incredible.

  • links:
    • Britanni reviews The Hobbit
    • MettelRay wrote a review for insanely moving The Impossible
    • Josh shares beautiful images from To the Wonder
    • Chris reviews Rust & Bone
    • Fogs has been very bad lately, he kept reminding me of Iain Glen's voice. But he had a great idea of writing a post where people share links to their blogs in the comment section. Lots of lovely sites there.
    • Alex wrote about Nine Lives. I had no idea that movie existed and it has Stannis Baratheon AND Al Swearengen in it. Watching it this weekend.
    • Andina shares the things she loves about Up in the Air
    • Though I didn't like Man of Steel trailer Ruth did and she wrote a great post about it
    • Elena reviewed Oblivion which I could see on Tuesday on my way back from library. The problem is after visiting library I'm tired/suicidal. That said, it has Nikolaj in it, so me being tired may not be enough to prevent me from seeing that then. And seeing him would help with suicidal thing.
    • m.brown wrote a review for new Evil Dead. I'd see it but I'm too scared. Also it's yet another movie where dog dies. What the fuck is with those scenes in every other movie nowadays?

    RELATED POSTS:

    42 comments:

    1. I don't come across too many gif-filled blogs outside of tumblr, but I think the layout works well for you. I've dabbed a bit in gif-themed blogs myself from time to time, but don't worry, I have no intentions of stealing your layout, lol!

      And congrats on the nominations! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Gifs are so simple to make...but the whole layout stealing thing is very unnerving.

        Thank you so much, I was quite shocked to see my blog in 5 categories.

        Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the link, Sati. Very cool of you.

      Best of luck with the Lammys. You know you have my support! I think you could nab four of 'em easily, maybe even sweep. Shame some f--kers are lifting your ideas and style, but maybe you should be flattered(?) Though, if I saw the Yays and Boos somewhere else, I might cut a bitch.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! The opening to this review was like straight out of American Psycho :)

        Thank you! I used to be flattered but the line over the flattered to annoyed has been crossed. Haha, yeah let's hope this won't happen! :P

        Delete
    3. Congrats on those LAMMY nods. I already voted for you on Blog Design and Funniest Writer.

      If I knew how to create banners and web design such, I probably might have a chance at a LAMMY nod but alas, snubbed once again.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much!

        I'm surprised you are not in writing categories :(

        Delete
    4. Congrats on the five nominations!

      I think Dormer looks better in street clothes than in costume.

      Just saw those trailers for Only God Forgives today. CAN NOT WAIT!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you!

        She does look stunning on that photo.

        Can't wait too, looks as good as Drive so far!

        Delete
    5. EVERYTHING Ryan Gosling does turns me on. It's fucking insane. I found him sexy in Lars and the Real Girl and when he was bald in Blue Valentine.

      Only God Forgives is going to be so good.

      Aww I hope people get their own brains and stop stealing.

      I actually liked this Man of Steel trailer. They're not being all Batman-y/Malick-y in this and I love Amy Adams and Michael Shannon.

      Congrats on the nominations. You have at least 2 of my votes, and for big awards too ;-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are a very good fan, then! :)

        Yeah I can't wait. Scott Thomas looks insane, I bet she will end up in my line up for 2013.

        I liked Amy too, she seems to have good chemistry with Henry. Not sure about Shannon yet.

        Thank you! :)

        Delete
    6. Thanks again for the link Sati! Yeah, we agree the music is underwhelming but Henry shirtless, now THAT's another story ;)

      "Oh, Jaime. Let me love you." Ahah, make that two! Esp after you described what happened to his hand in the last post. Ouch!!

      Ahah, so you don't like Iain Glen in GoT, I only knew him from his eps w/ Richard in Spooks, so they should definitely reunite on this show, right? He..he..

      I LOVE it when Richard looks so bashful, makes you want to do naughty things to him, ehm.



      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I hope he is shirtless a lot in the movie, but he looks nice in his Superman suit too :)

        To be fair he plays a bad guy, but he is so charismatic I liked him from he start. It's actually only now that after he lost his hand people feel bad for him, which is great because he is slowly going to turn into a hero :)

        Oh I love Glen, it's just that his voice is so sexy it makes Khaleesi unreasonable for not loving him ;) He was in Spooks? Oh, God, I'm still watching it - when he shows up I'm gonna explode. He was also in season two of Downton Abbey.

        Oh...definitely :P

        Delete
      2. Oh you're gonna explode for sure as the few Spooks episodes w/ Richard and Iain together are AWESOME and quite intense. He kind of reminds me of Sean Bean a bit at times. Both he and RA are such good looking men with gorgeous voices, so yeah I think you better have bib and lunch paper sack handy before you get to that in case hyperventilation and uncontrollable drooling sets in, ahah.

        Oooh Iain is in DA as well?? I have been too busy to watch more eps but now I have even more things to look forward to!!

        Delete
      3. I'm starting season 9 tonight, can't wait! They have such sexy voices - this is going to be trippy for sure :P

        Yeah he has awesome character in DA, I love his interactions with the family as he is kinda stiff and unfamiliar with all that posh nonsense of rich families :)

        Delete
    7. What is up with people stealing? It's utter crap. The bad can be spun into that people flatter your style enough to make it their own??
      Congrats on the five Lammy noms! :D
      So funny you mentioned the David O' Russell set pictures. I felt and thought the EXACT thing about their hair.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think even flattery has its limits :)
        Thank you!

        Yeah, what is up with those hairstyles? When I saw Cooper for the first time with that thing on his head I couldn't stop laughing.

        Delete
    8. Congrats on the LAMMY nominations! You've got my vote in multiple categories.

      I saw that Eva Green was in the 300 sequel earlier this week, and I thought the same thing. Sin City 2 can't come fast enough.

      Thanks so much for the link! :) Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the movie.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! :)

        It just looks so cheap. I think she will be great in SC2 but she has so many bad movies in her resume.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    9. I'm getting closer to finishing the first book.. which pretty much means I haven't seen any new movies this week but luckily the shows are on a weird break again, so I don't miss out on much.
      Congrats on the Lammy nominations! I already gave my votes and with the community builder one I had a hard time since I didn't really remember if the nominated ones had visited me in a while or at all. Guessing I'm still out of community a bit.

      PS: I'll be the one excited for Catching Fire then! :D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I tend to award those who seem the most active if I'm not familiar with the nominees. At the others I just looked over the blogs, if something seemed fun, I voted. I don't listen to podcasts or check many classic films blogs so I had to vote based on first impressions.

        I just couldn't get into that series. I liked Lawrence's acting and Banks's outfits, though :)

        Delete
    10. Congrats on all the noms, well deserved!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Many congrats on your nominations Sati. Very well deserved. I really wish you'd stop posting about Game of thrones though. It doesn't reach th UK for ages and I'm very jelous. ;-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you!

        That's crazy, UK should get it the same day US does. Damn, 90% people involved in the show are British, after all.

        Delete
    12. Massive congrats on the LAMMY nods. Going to be hard voting this year!

      People who copy are just shits. In the past there was this one girl who was a fan of one of my sites and asked me questions and stuff on how to "do websites". I helped her out. Then what does she do? She copies my ENTIRE site. As in the code. Everything. Man, I was so pissed! Worst thing? She didn't think she'd done anything wrong! That's what gets me. When people can't see how much of a little shit they're being. Eh, feck 'em.

      What has happened to Eva Green? She'd make a PERFECT Lyanna. Someone make that happen.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! :)

        That's awful. I would be more than fine helping someone out but just taking codes away and making it look like someone's site crosses so many lines. I don't think there is such thing as unintentional inspiration. I think if someone takes something they know it. But as long as everything is in reasonable amounts, I'd be OK with it.

        I don't know, I think she just had bad luck in that so many movies with her bombed. I can't imagine a better Lyanna than her.

        Delete
    13. Community Builder is a tough one to get snubbed in, because of all those hours commenting, you deserved a nom! Maybe need to have started a successful blog-a-thon, lots of guest posts, and host/participate in podcasts to be one of the contenders? But well done on the other 5 nominations!

      By the way, you might be interested, American Psycho is next MOTM:
      http://www.largeassmovieblogs.com/2013/04/the-motm-for-may-2013-will-be.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. While I appreciate the nominations I'm not entirely sure Lammys are of any importance. The are so many great blogs that got snubbed that it looks to be more of popularity contest if anything.

        I can't imagine actually changing anything around here just to get one more nomination. I don't have blogathon ideas and I don't like forcing myself to write anything here, I don't exactly want guest posts and I think podcasts are very lame so I doubt any of that will even happen on the corner :)

        Yep, saw that. Really cool, If I'll remember to do so I'll send them my review.

        Delete
    14. Huge congrats on your LAMMY nomination, very well deserved. I love coming here and seeing what you're writing about, even if I do have to skip most of the GoT stuff because I don't want to spoil it for myself!
      As for post stealing, I guess it could be considered flattery, but I can appreciate how annoying it must be too. I have noticed a couple of things that have reminded me of here but your blog is still one of the most distinctive I follow.
      Oh and thanks for link, always appreciated :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! :) Much appreciated, hope you like the new season when you have a chance to see it!

        Recently it was really like a flood and as much as I would be fine with people borrowing some stuff, a bunch of bloggers just taking more and more was really too much.

        You're welcome! :)

        Delete
    15. Oh, I love Elementary, it's great, you should see it! Although I love Natalie Dormer, I always kind of "hated" the Irene Adler character, I don't know why, maybe because I thought she kind of "steals/distracts" Sherlock from Watson! Silly me!
      I'm sorry to hear about people stealing your ideas and design, that is awful! I hope everything checks out!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think I stopped somewhere around episode 12 so I don't have that much to catch up on :) I really like it and Miller and Liu have lovely chemistry together.

        Yeah I was never a fan of Irene but Dormer does so well with this kind of conniving and seemingly innocent characters so I really can't wait to see her in the show.

        Thank you!

        Delete
    16. Oh that last gifset. I saw that on Tumblr and nearly died. I've never actually seen those "Real Housewives" show, but the memes always make me laugh. I'm sorry people are stealing from your blog :( You did give me the inspiration to write more about Game of Thrones since I was so excited about it. I hope that's not considered stealing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I never saw that either but those gifsets, especially the ones featuring Robb, are completely golden.

        Oh, not at all! I love your posts on that, in fact I wish entire blogosphere exploded with Game of Thrones posts to celebrate new season :)

        Delete
    17. I'll tell you what, when I discovered a blog that was a blatant rip off of yours, I myself was pissed. I'm really sorry people are nabbing your shit - that's just cheap and lame.

      Thanks for your support in regards to my hacked stuff, and, of course, thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, but that one was really a cheap imitation there are some blogs pointed out to me that literally stole whole design ideas and that was just beyond despicable.

        You're very welcome, I really hope nothing like this will happen again!

        Delete
    18. That's a nice looking banner :) Congrats for the nominations! You'll get my votes. And thanks for the link!

      Well I do hope Eva Green gets better roles, she have many potential, she should won Oscar someday.

      Sucks people copy you flat like that, but you know who's the original at least ;) Now I'm curious who'd copy your blog.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you and you're welcome! :)

        She is so talented - it's a shame so many of her projects didn't work out.

        Delete
    19. I look forward to stealing more stuff from your blog ;-)

      Congrats on all your Lammy Nominations... well deserved I might add.

      Love that poster for Only God Forgives.

      They are shooting scenes for that new David O Russell film in Worcester MA, where I used to live. It is run down depressing dump of a city filled with hard working blue collar types. I have actually been to the bar Nick's that they have shut down for a week so they could shoot in it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! That poster is really fascinating.

        It actually looks kinda depressing but I'm judging that only by their hairstyles :)

        Delete
    20. "Blogging world has been more irritating than usual. More and more people are stealing blog, features and design ideas from me. It has gotten to the point where their posts start to look exactly like mine."

      I'm pretty sure I know who you're on about haha.

      Best of luck with the Lammys! I'm rooting for you. I love Eva Green, I hope she gets a good role soon.

      PS - As for Evil Dead, do you want me to spoil if the dog lives or dies?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hopefully the copying will stop now :)

        Thank you so much! Yeah, she really deserves good material.

        I read the dog dies :( That's just horrible.

        Delete