Friday, May 24, 2013

(80) You promised me Game of Thrones, HBO. You promised! + links

By Sati. Friday, May 24, 2013
  • If I were Cersei Lannister, life would be so easy. Her ability to diss people and not give a fuck is wonderful.
  • What a terrible week. Still no progress with the dissertation. This is unbelievable. I didn't have to put up with such crap at my University for 5 years and now, on the finish line, it's absolute madness. It's like my life was written by George R.R.Martin - things are looking up, no, no, hold on, here comes the feces pit for you to fall in. The exams were just one day, this is continuous madness. I just want it to be over. My mother is taking me shopping this Saturday because she is freaked out. It's like in Paranormal Activity down here - I sit in front of the screen refreshing my inbox to check if I have any messages about that. I'm going batshit, thank you collage. My apologies for the lack of updates on the blog, I'm a mess at the moment.
  • To make matters worse because of Memorial Day weekend, HBO has postponed new episode of Game of Thrones for next Sunday. So in my time of crisis I was deprived of my one hour of escapism. And Robb wasn't in latest episode. Not even naked Robb - no Robb at all. WORST fucking WEEK EVER. 
  • That said I understand why they want as many people as possible watching that episode as it airs. You do not want that one spoiled, trust me. I've been faking out people a lot this week - telling them all kinds of shit that is not going to happen to make them more shocked and surprised. Oh, God. I hope I won't kill anyone this way. I was nearly rendered catatonic when I read that chapter.
  • I really love when people get creative with the screencaps and stills from new episodes. That one of Sansa featured above is really lovely.
  • I'm fairly certain every person watching the recent episode hoped Tyrion will kill Joffrey. This week's facebook recap pointed out some things that made Joff such a tremendous asshole:
  • People keep complaining about the nudity in leeches scene but I won't complain about the scene that featured naked Carice van Houten. And to all of you Joe Dempsie fangirls - it was horrible how they teased you and moved the camera away.
  • There was this whole drama when someone claiming to see the episode before it aired spread fake spoilers on imdb. Most of them sounded ridiculous but a lot of people believed that it was actually true and they are part of the new episode. It got to the point where actual writer for the show intervened and said the spoilers were fake on WinterisComing. So let me get his straight - some troll posts fake spoilers and gets attention from the writer and I, by posting the gif of Richard Madden's ass, make people actually want to watch the show and I get nothing?
  • Liam Cunnigham, Carice van Houten and Maisie Williams visited Amsterdam for the opening of Game of Thrones exhibiion. So cute!
  • I've been playing with Gustav a lot this week. He is such a joyful and carefree creature. You know what? I wish I were a Yorkie. Cersei Lannister of Yorkies
  • The most shocking thing I read all week was about the upcoming season of Arrested Development. And unfortunately, it's not good news. Apparently it was impossible to get all the actors on the set at the same time so...some scenes, actually half of new season, was made on green-screen. Actors shot their scenes separately and they were digitally put together. This is insane. I was excited about this season but this just sounds like a terrible idea especially since the show always had such great chemistry between cast.
  • Another thing I did was finishing season 5 of True Blood. What happened to this show? This season was ridiculous. I can't decide what was dumber - the vampires being high seeing some sort of vampire god, Sam and Luna infiltrating the Authority as mice and flies or this whole hunting supernatural beings in Obama masks plot. The only thing that kept me watching, was, as usual, Pam. And Lafayette. I love his lines. That said when Luna turned into Sam and started freaking out in front of Andy I laughed so hard when he said "I hate this goddamn town". The poster for season 6 is pretty cool. I hope they will kill off Bill. They messed up his character beyond repair.
  • Other people who had bad week were, if the reports from Cannes are to be believed, Nicolas Winding Refn and Ryan Gosling. Apparently a lot of people booed Only God Forgives. The reviews are not very favorable either. Still, indiewire said it's like watching 90-minute illustration for Cliff Martinez's track and that sounds awesome to me.

  • links:
    • Pete shares his Game of Thrones hit list and MettelRay reviews first book of the series
    • m.brown wasn't the biggest fan of Iron Man 3, but I am a big fan of his review of the movie
    • Alex shared a lot of brilliant lists this week but my favorite was his list of movies people are surprised he loves
    • Ruth shared lovely post about her love for Superman
    • Chris reviews Before Sunset and Before Sunrise
    • Fogs asks about your favorite movie bromance
    RELATED POSTS:

    24 comments:

    1. A boo at Cannes is a badge of honor... unless you're Southland Tales.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it definitely gets people talking about the movie. Tons of other movies got better reviews but Only God Forgives appears to be the most famous film there right now.

        Delete
    2. "Joe Dempsie fangirls - it was horrible how they teased you and moved the camera away. " - they did tease, they did! But I liked that scene, I didn't mind it at all for the nudity.. I guess it's because the power shift was different, the woman was controlling and the naked woman is all mighty at controlling men so.. bring on named Melisandre.
      After almost finishing the second book (100+) pages left, I can now say I'm starting to remember the names! Woo! :D

      True Blood was over a couple of seasons ago but since summer is quite short and there aren't many shows, I still watch it.. it has it's moments and Skarsgard so.. I don't mind the stupidity that is oozing out of the big and small story lines.

      Thanks for the link! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. In Westeros if a chick is naked she gets the power, so it would seem :) Melisandre really has the ability to wrap everyone around her finger.

        Awesome, it's much easier to read once you start recognizing people, though sometimes it's still a problem because occasionally characters are mentioned in POV and they are only described so you have figure out who the hell are they talking about :)

        Skarsgard is always a joy to watch, but that last season was such a mess :/

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    3. Not liking the sound of what you have just said about Arrested Development. Hope its either not true or somehow completely unnoticeable.

      Thanks for the link! 4 episodes into series 2 now and the red haired lady has just given birth to some black smoke monster type thing. Hope it doesn't get like Lost!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm really puzzled as to why they did it this way. So many years they planed the new season and people couldn't commit to fly in? I can't imagine the cast is so busy.

        Haha, no, no, nothing like LOST :) That was a huge wtf scene for most people :)

        Delete
    4. I really hope shit gets better with your dissertation. It drives me mad when lecturers and tutors fuck about like this. It's their job to help you, they get paid to do it. They get enough freaking time off every year, yet when they are there, they seemingly can't be arsed to do their job. I had lecturers who were exactly the same. I'm sure you'll have aced it anyway :)

      I love those GoT Facebook posts and I'm suuuuper excited for the next episode, especially now you've hyped it up even more. Damn you Americans and your Memorial Day Weekend!

      Thanks for the link as always! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's particularly annoying since the guy who is supposed to approve my dissertation is barely ever there. I had to write the whole thing myself, he didn't help me at all and now he can't even find the time to respond to my e-mail even though I even called him about that. I mean it's literally 10 minutes for me to defend it, he just needs to set the date.

        I'm shocked people would even want to do anything else than watch Game of Thrones on Sunday. Shocked :)

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    5. Joe Dempsie has made his entire career out of being naked and *almost* showing his junk. (Skins, The Fades) It's frustrating. I'm sorry your week was so shitty! I hope it starts to get better. Shopping helps, right? I haven't been on IMDb for awhile, I'm a little disappointed I missed the drama! Someone did the whole fake spoiler thing for The Walking Dead and I thought it was kind of hilarious, actually.

      True Blood season 5 sucked SO MUCH. The fact that they spent pretty much the entire season in the Authority Headquarters drove me nuts. I hope this season is better, because I really do love that show and I want it to succeed.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He did? His fangirls should tweet him about that :)

        The spoilers were insane - someone said that the scene where Sansa is undressing for the bedding was inter-cut with Tywin doing it with Shae. People actually started to yell the writers are ruining the story even before the actual episode aired :)

        Yeah it was like entire season was there, that place wasn't even that impressive - it was just a room with a table and chairs :)

        Delete
    6. Thanks as always for the linkage Sati. Hang in there through your exams and shit. Never forget, school is actually just about people in power torturing you enough to prove to employers in power in the future that you're comfortable eating the crap that they'll give you. ;) So dont lose it. Keep a smile on. :D

      Meanwhile, sorry no Game of Thrones for you this week.

      That IS messed up about Arrested Development... what the hell do they mean they couldnt get everyone together? Were they being paid to make a show or not? Christ...

      Not good news about Only God Forgives. God may forgive, but apparently Cannes audiences don't huh? :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yeah, it's about seeing how much crap you can take and than taking some more :)

        It's an outrage, truly. I may cry this Sunday.

        I couldn't believe it when I read it. Just seems like such a half-assed way to do a show. It really doesn't seem like it could work.

        I'm still looking forward to the movie, but maybe it's better my expectations are lowered now.

        Delete
    7. Thanks for the link love, dahling Sati! Ooooh, that's a cute photo of GoT w/ Liam Cunningham, soo happy on that chair, ahah.

      Man, Lena Heady is so bad ass in this film, but then again she's always played it tough (300, Dredd, Sarah Connor). What, Robb wasn't in latest episode??? Poor thing you, how do you even get by??

      Ah well, maybe turn on more North & South then ;) [Can't wait for your big post on that one, wahoo!!!]

      Have a nice weekend, girl!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lena is hardcore, she really comes off so believable as all those strong women.

        I don't get by. There is only darkness and joyless Sunday ahead.

        You too! :)

        Delete
    8. Sorry to hear about your dissertation, final assignment can be so frustrating. Hope it will run smoothly soon.

      I actually saw a couple of Dutch movies starring Charice van houten at European film fest, she's excellent. I haven't watch Game of Thrones, but she looks great in the pics you posted.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, I hope so too.

        She is such a talented actress, I loved her work in Black Book.

        Delete
    9. Thanks so much for the link! You know, I'm kind of glad to hear True Blood is so bad now. Makes me not so sad that I gave it up. Good for you for sticking with it though!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It pretty much went to hell in season 4 :) I only check it out for Pam and Lafayette, Sookie is one of the worst main characters I've seen.

        Delete
    10. The negative word on Only God Forgives doesn't bother me. Bonnie & Clyde and Taxi Driver were reviled early on too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not bothered either, it's just something worth noting since all the other movies there don't seem to provoke such reaction :)

        Delete
    11. I'm actually more excited for OGF now that I've heard about all this tomfoolery. I just hope that I get the change to see it theatrically. Seeing Drive on the big screen was intense.

      Bummer they're killing you at the finish line. Hopefully, it'll soon be a funny story you tell someone who's just beginning the whole process. It's like having kids and talking to people who are expecting....or something.

      Anyway, thanks for the link as always. I eagerly look forward to this post every week, and I'm glad you're still turning 'em out.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm definitely seeing Only God Forgives on the big screen. The film looks like one hell of an experience.

        I was passing all the 2nd year law students on the hall today and I wanted to yell at them to get out while they still can :)

        Yeah, the only way I stop posting those is if I die. And I'm not entirely sure that would stop me from posting.

        Delete
    12. Hope you have a better week after Memorial Day weekend.

      I don't care how good/bad the reviews are for Only God Forgives. I can't wait to see it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's a bit better, thank you :)

        Same here!

        Delete