Friday, June 21, 2013

(84) Solstice, GoT withdrawal and a wolf that is clearly on drugs + links

By Sati. Friday, June 21, 2013
  • First of all - happy summer solstice everyone! As usual I'm going to celebrate it and I'm going to my friend's cabin in the woods for the weekend, so there will be no posts for two days and if the cabin is filled with scary crap like in the movie I'm probably not coming back.
  • Things have been slow here lately - to write reviews you need to watch movies and I had no time for that. I'm also not that inclined in doing new Visual Parallels and Performances I Love, I have the ideas but it's just too much work and I'm kinda exhausted so the only creative activity I do is doing gifs which are actually much less work than that. I'm gonna try to think of a better system then learning, eating, learning, reading other people's blogs and then falling asleep soon and I promise things will start becoming interesting around here at last.
  • Happy occasion today - 27h birthday of the incredible Lana Del Rey. Without her music I'd only listen to movie soundtracks. Fine - that's a lie. I'd only listen to three Game of Thrones soundtracks.
  • I've been going through Game of Thrones withdrawal but I found a cool way to use that and create something - GoT tumblr meme. I made all of those edits myself and I'm really proud of those, my favorites are 1,2,3 .Also I wept while making those - 1 + 2. And I'm still pissed off about the ending to the finale so I made a gifset showing what the end should have been - if you haven't read beyond 98% of Storm of Swords don't look - here.  
  • Catelyn is my muse. 75% of my edits are with her. If I were in Westeros, I'd like her to adopt me.
  • Someone made a chart with nicknames for all GoT characters. Check out what they wrote for Joffrey. It's hard to argue with this assessment.
  • Luther season 3 is premiering on July 2nd! YEY! This is lovely because going from Game of Thrones to True Blood is a fucking abomination.
  • Helena Bonham Carter joined the cast of the movie with Prince Charming being played by hopefully naked Richard Madden Cinderella movie. She is going to play the fairy godmother. Let's just hope this one will be better than her last movies.
  • Very sad news from Italy this week where the legendary Tony Soprano - James Gandolfini - has passed away of a heart attack. This is very saddening - he was one of those actors who were always so memorable - among many in The Mexican, True Romance and In the Loop, which as one of my favorites, I actually watch every few months.
  • Fassbender plays some sort of terrible villain in Twelve Years of Slave, right? Well, damnit. He looks so hot on those stills.
  • There is a clusterfuck regarding Amazing Spiderman sequels. I don't really care about those movies as I barely even finished the first one but what is going on there is pretty crazy - Shailene Woodley did her scenes as Mary Jane Watson for the sequel. Those scenes were cut, allegedly because they want to move that character to next movie. But now Sarah Gadon joined the cast, most likely to replace Woodley. Wow, that is just making everyone look bad.
  • So someone actually posted this on tumblr without any concern for the health and safety of people who see it:
  • HOW AM I STILL ALIVE AFTER SEEING THIS?!
  • And that's not everything - few days later this showed up on my dashboard. I mean...I just....I can't.....SWEET BABY JESUS.
  • Let's take a moment and talk about how brave Amy Adams is. Henry Cavill is dating Gina Carano - the same Gina Carano who fucking killed every guy in the cast in Haywire. If I had the opportunity to actually touch Henry I'd have to think twice considering who his girlfriend is. But not Amy, apparently:
  • And finally let me just express how terrible I find The Wolf of Wall Street trailer. I only saw it once few days ago because doing it to myself again would be as If I was whipping myself and I'm not into that. Good God. Up until I saw that trailer it was my most anticipated movie of the year. After I saw it, I promptly removed the photo depicting it from the sidebar. That's how terrible that trailer was. I thought it will be creepy, dark, twisted tale of corruption with some trademark Scorsese humour thrown in. The trailer however is making it look like it's The Hangover, part 15. And yes, yes I know that trailers can be misguiding but for the love of God there is still going to be a scene from the ending of that trailer - I was shocked my eyes and ears didn't bleed when I saw that - the scene with DiCaprio parading chimpanzee dressed in a suit around the office and this....I cannot even describe this:
  • Also I know the rules of advertising, but really...mentioning Academy Award nominee Jonah Hill and not showing us a glimpse of Academy Award winner Jean Dujardin? Please. I'll see it on DVD and I'll make sue I'm really drunk before I do.

  • links:
    • Eric reviews This is the End which I cannot wait to see.
    • Nikhat wrote a very fun post where she compares Sherlock and Elementary
    • Elena reviews The Great Gatsby which comparing to that The Wolf of Wall Street trailer seems like less flamboyant gig for Leo.
    • Brittani wrote a fantastic wishlist for season 4 of Game of Thrones
    • m.brown reviews hilarious Get him to the Greek
    • Chris enjoyed terrific Headhunters
    • Josh reviews Before Midnight
    • Sofia looks at the beautiful visual side of A Single Man
    • Courtney reviews anticipated The Bling Ring
    • Alex looks at the best roles of James Gandolfini
    • Keith asks about your favorite underrated actors

    RELATED POSTS

    40 comments:

    1. Hahaha that Hannibal gifset :')

      I'm totally posting those Henry Cavill gifs in my thoughts post too- I NEED THEM ON MY BLOG! And bless Amy Adams for doing all the things I can't.

      The Wolf of Wallstreet trailer has somehow grown on me. It's like one of those awful catchy songs that somehow become part of your existence. That Leo dance thing is my life.

      Apparently Fassy's villain in 12 Years is going to take evil to a new level. I'm scared but I'm excited.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, Amy Adams is living the dream :) Well, actually Gina Carano is....:)

        Leo's dance was surreal. I still cannot believe it actually happened.

        Really? Sounds fantastic! He is so amazing at villainous roles...and hot. Disturbingly hot.

        Delete
    2. I tried to watch this Sunday's episode of True Blood but after 15 minutes... I said... "I'm done". It's just not fun to watch anymore.

      I have no idea what's going on with The Amazing Spider-Man sequel. Cutting out Shailene Woodley? What the fuck? Boo!!!

      I actually like that trailer for The Wolf of Wall Street though I do understand why you're upset. No Jean Dujardin... Don't worry, he'll be in the next trailer.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I haven't seen the episode yet, I basically just watch it for Eric and Pam.

        I know, it's insane!

        Hopefully! And shirtless in actual movie :)

        Delete
    3. Well I'm sorry, but Leo's got some moves. Of course I didn't see that part in the trailer because I skipped most of it -- far too long not to have complete spoilers.

      Oh Amy Adams is the best, how can one not love her. You know, I remember Cavill being just "that cute guy from that woody allen movie"... seems so long ago... That final Hannibal graphic is hilarious, spot on!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He really does :) You don't watch trailers because of spoilers? I kinda see why but seriously often times trailers are better than actual movies :)

        I liked him since The Tudors and I was just delighted when he showed up in Whatever Works :)

        Delete
      2. Yeah you see, that's the problem: trailers are just a gathering of every good moment/joke in a movie. So it kind of ruins it and/or makes you believe the film has more to offer -- when sometimes it doesn't, and in fact wouldn't need to offer you more if trailer hadn't spoiled it. Plus, every trailer is so alike these days, it's like they don't even try anymore. :/

        Delete
      3. I see :) Unfortunately having seen so much crap there I must say trailers are sometimes much better crafted than some (most) movies :) Plus I have no self control so if I'm waiting for something, I have to take a peek :)

        Delete
    4. Happy summer solstice to you too! Sadly it's not at all summer-y up here, but whatever, the summer holidays have finally started. So in contrary to you I'll have a lot of time to watch movies, but I'm sending all my strength and patience to you :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I theoretically have the time but the bar exam is in October so I'm learning for that :/

        Delete
    5. Thanks for the link! I'm having GoT withdrawal too. I'm hoping True Blood gets good enough to fill that hole until Breaking Bad comes back on. I love your GoT edits on Tumblr! They're fantastic, and I love that you use Cat so much. If I were in Westeros, I'd want Cat to marry me to Robb. I can dream, right?

      I need to see this Wolf of Wallstreet trailer. I've been working so much I haven't had time to see anything new.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! True Blood is reaching new levels of absurdity and I thought they maxed out last year :/

        Thank you so much, I'm glad you like them! I'd like that too even if Stark wives don't last long :)

        Delete
    6. I dunno, I think Amy's basically like any self-respecting woman. She just can't resist the allure of a British actor. (I know I can't.)

      ReplyDelete
    7. btw... apparently Henry is not dating Gina anymore

      ReplyDelete
    8. July 2nd for Luther? Everywhere I've read said September....

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's July 2nd. Perhaps September is when Americans get to see it?

        Delete
    9. Well, after seeing the gifs you and Brittani posted after Robb consummated his marriage, I am of the opinion that Richard Madden should be naked in everything. ;-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Everything, everywhere, always :)

        Delete
    10. Same.. no time for movies AT ALL! Trying to go to the cinema next week but who knows, I depend on other people for transportation.. literally, there's no public transportation what so ever here. Man, torture. :D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Is it a very secluded part of Ireland? Still, Jerome Flynn was there so there has to be a way out :)

        Delete
    11. I agree, Sati, that Wolf of Wall Street trailer looked awful. It looks like Scorsese's trying to be Stone, and I don't know why he would ever do that :o

      Meanwhile, yeah, very sad about James Gandolfini. :(

      LOL @ pointing out the quality differential between Game of Thrones and True Blood btw. Too true! :D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it kinda looks like that! I was just shocked by the tone of that thing.

        I could barely get through season 5 of TB :/

        Delete
    12. DiCaprio as chimpanzee, hilarious. I smell awards :)

      It will be interesting too to see what Fassbender can do in that role in Twelve Years A Slave.

      RIP James Gandolfini

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm very curious about Fass in 12YoS as well as Pitt, until recently I had no idea he was in the movie.

        Delete
    13. I too was a little puzzled by the Wolf of Wallstreet trailer. If Leo ever wins an Academy Award, I want it to be for THE role of his career...i don't see it with this. I'm sure he'll be nominated, and I know I'll check it out in theaters. He doesn't really choose bad roles, so lets have faith, girl!

      <3lana<3 I didn't realize she and I were the same age.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'll go see it in theaters only if Dujardin is shirtless :)

        Really? Cool!

        Delete
    14. I wasn't really loving the Wolf of Wall Street trailer either, although I'm still confident the film will be decent. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

      I think I'm falling for Henry Cavill a bit at the moment too. Even if he did basically model his physique on mine. Geez, embarrassing!

      And I love that Hannibal pic. Still not convinced on the show though.

      Thanks for the link :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, yeah everyone is falling for Henry now :) Great too, since he had such a bad luck with the roles until now and always ALMOST got the part in big movies, like with Batman and James Bond.

        I haven't watched the show since episode 5 but I really like Mikkelsen in the part.

        Delete
    15. So did you take along an axe for the trip to the cabin in the woods?

      I wish Cavill and Adams had demonstrated 1/20th of the chemistry in that gif in the actual film.

      Folks are talking that The Wolf might lead to Leo's Oscar, LMAO, then again with Oscar voters who knows???

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No I didn't :) If scary monsters were there I don't think an axe would help :)

        really? Oh, damn it' a shame. I keep hearing there was no chemistry and it sounds terrible.

        Maybe if they are really high :D

        Delete
    16. Thanks for the link!

      I should probably check out this Wolf of Wall Street trailer -- don't think I have seen a positive remark about it yet. That GIF is cracking me up though! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I see a lot of people enjoying the trailer but it honestly looks terrible to me.

        Delete
    17. That Hannibal bit at the end just killed me. Hilarious.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, it's better than the show, actually :)

        Delete
    18. So pumped that we're getting closer to Twelve Years a Slave. Between that and The Counselor, it'll be nice to have Fass back around.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, absolutely! Also it's kinda fun how Pitt is in both of these movies too.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    19. Thanks for the link!

      I rewatched the first two Spider-Man movies recently, and I'm not looking forward to the new sequels at all. They just seem so unnecessary.

      Bring on Twelve Years a Slave!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome

        Raimi's films were actually quite fun but that recent one was so boring and unnecessary, I don't know why they did the reboot so soon after recent movies.

        Delete