Thursday, July 18, 2013

(88) How dare you, Emmys? + links

By Sati. Thursday, July 18, 2013
  • Emmys are fucking insane. Nominating Emilia Clarke over Michelle Fairley was the nail to the coffin filled with all the crazy shit they've done over the years. Nominating Dinklage over Waldau? Please. I think Dinklage is an absolute treasure and he sure acted the shit out of that wedding scene but it was Waldau's season. BY WHAT RIGHT DOES A WOLF JUDGE A LION?!?!? And he is not nominated?! What is happening? The man spent most of the season with mud in his ass. And you can't even nominate him?
  •  A number of nominations was good including Vera Farmiga and Sarah Paulson getting in, but overall the Emmys are bigger embarrassment than Academy Awards. This is just beyond me. It is worse than when Academy snubbed Fassbender. It's as if there was someone else with Fass in Shame and he got nominated over him, despite the performance being not nearly as good. How can someone, anyone, watch this season of Thrones and think Clarke was better and more deserving of  a nomination than Fairley? And it was Fairley's last season, fools!
  • I like Emilia as Daenerys, I do. But she is one of the weakest actresses on the show. Even the chick who played Ros was better. And to nominate her now and not for season 1?  This is such a lazy, lazy nomination. These people look at the show and they say "oh dragons and the imp" and here are the nominees. Thank God Dinklage submitted himself, though. The next obvious male choice is Kit Haringon. whom I actually consider to be better than Clarke in season 3, by the way.
  • And that's another fucking thing right there - Daenerys is not a supporting role. Daenerys is a leading role, especially on the show - they have finales about her, triumphing. Her journey is consistent since the beginning - to get home and get the throne, it's not all the scheming and changing circumstances like with the others. If there are any leads in the books it's Jon and even more so - Dany.
  • But all in all they've got 17 nominations - the most this year! This is lovely. I've seen several people write they think it will win best series but I don't think so. They still don't appreciate fantasy enough. If Michelle Fairley did what she did on Thrones in Mad Men or Homeland she wouldn't just get nominated. She would easily win. They notice Game of Thrones only because it transcends its genre and it's just too big and too important to ignore.
  • I will never forget, Emmys.
  • And where the hell is Ramin Djawadi's nomination for music? His scores for the show are better than most cinematic soundtracks I've heard and movie music is pretty much all I listen to.
  • But after all, Lena Headey wasn't nominated for her performance and Neil Marshall for directing last year, for Blackwater. Seriously. Neil Marshall wasn't nominated. So why am I still shocked? I guess because I thought when Emmy voters have quality fucking masterclass acting hit them in the face and guts they will know it. I was wrong.
  • Another show which received 17 nominations (for the second year in the row) is American Horror Story. Wow. I love that show but I would never expect the awards people to love it too.
  • Let's move on because there is a lot to write here.
  • This week we got amazing first trailer for Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave. Not only do my favorites in the cast - Michael Fassbender and Sarah Paulson - look absolutely fantastic, but the trailer features one of my all time favorite tracks - Journey to the Line. Look at Fassy go on that third gif. Good Lord!
  • We also got new The Counselor trailer. We finally heard Diaz talk - the way she said her lines fits her character well, that kind of sinister tone is spot-on. Also I lost bladder control during this moment:
  • BBC Sherlock's Mycroft - Mark Gatiss - will be in season 4 of Game of Thrones. It seems he will play Mace Tyrell, Margaery and Loras's father. Very cool casting right there. I can't wait to hear who will be cast as Greyjoys, hopefully with Comic Con this weekend it will be announced.
  • Nicolas Winding Refn is a douche. Get this - in an interview he stated that after it was suggested to him he should hire Carey Mulligan to play a part in Drive he didn't want to even meet her because "she is a little fat, a little chubby". I have no words.
  • Luther season 3 only began and we are already on the finish line. The final episode of the season will air next week and....she is back!
  • I saw The Heat this week, thanks to m.brown's awesome review. It was actually really funny and that's probably because I love Melissa McCarthy. Buster from Arrested Development is in one hilarious scene where he gets busted for solicitation. The film is not as funny as This is the End but I found it very entertaining and I gave it 7/10
  • Rumour has it that there will be  a major death in an upcoming episode of True Blood. I really hope it's not Lafayette. He is one of the best characters. And it's not like that show is Thrones, where the deaths are actually important and lead to something. Most of this stuff is filler. Last episode was quite fun, though, mostly because of Anna Camp who is hilarious as Sarah Newlin.
  • This weekend I'll try to see The Conjuring which looks insanely scary and has Vera Farmiga in it. Hopefully no dogs die in this movie.

  • links:

    • Keith chooses 5 phenomenal movie hitmen
    • French Toast Sunday's Babe of the Week is the lovely Vera Farmiga
    • check out Brittani's awesome post on yesterday's Emmy nominations
    • Eric reviews The Way, Way Back
    • Josh made a list of Oscar Bombs of 2010s
    • The next addition to Alex's great In Character series is wonderful J.K. Simmons


     RELATED POSTS:

    32 comments:

    1. I like Nicolas Winding Refn but calling Carey Mulligan "chubby"? Come on!

      I LOVE that trailer for 12 Years a Slave. Steve McQueen... you rule!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I mean...how is she chubby? She has a lovely figure!

        It looks fantastic, especially Fass! :)

        Delete
    2. So, Emmys. We are pretty much on same page. Dinklage and Clarke are leads of the series and I think they get nominated for that. Regardless of whether Dinklage will or will not get his due next season, neither he nor Clarke had much to do this season. This should have been Michelle Fairley and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau's season.

      Both the 12 Years a Slave and The Counselor look amazing. Really excited for them both.

      You know, I completely forgot Luther started until you last post. It's been so long. I thought I'll have to see series 2 to 'GET' it but I was fine. It will be great to see Alice back. Can't wait!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Definitely. While Dany had pretty awesome scenes Dinklage, who is always good, only had one episode to really shine whereas Nicolaj and Michelle were the people who delivered strongest and most memorable work this season.

        I can't wait for those!

        I barely remember season 2 but I'm not lost, so that's good. Very good season so far!

        Delete
    3. Totally agree about both Nic and especially Michelle. Did they not watch The Rains of Castamere? Just her voice work alone deserves a nod.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know, I really can't understand why and how did this happen :/

        Delete
    4. Hell, yeah. Thanks for the link! I can't believe you actually saw The Heat(and liked it). That shit's great. I still kind of laugh when I think about that diner scene. The paramedic guy (Gabe from The Office?) was so great. You're a terrible person.

      That Gordon Ramsey thing is f--king hysterical, by the way. Awesome.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I love watching comedies and a funny one is a rare thing, I saw two in this year so it's actually a pretty good year for funny movies.

        Yeah, that was Gabe, a perfect character for that actor :P

        Delete
    5. Heh. I thought of you when these came out actually. LOL. I was like, Uh oh, Sati's gonna be pissed. :D

      Surely, you do not disappoint. ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. At least they were invited to Comic Con, Waldau was supposed to be there too but apparently he couldn't make it.

        Delete
    6. Oh my gosh, that gif set of Ramsay and Hannibal is amazing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They should do a spinoff show :)

        Delete
    7. Haha, I absolutely love that Ramsey/Hannibal gif, that's amazing!

      I'd love GoT to win best series and it has a shot I reckon. No-one thought The Academy appreciated fantasy but Return of the King won best pic. Here's hoping!

      And I can't wait to see Twelve Years a Slave. Hunger and Shame were amazing and this has one hell of a cast.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hmm, maybe they will do it here too - RoTK won for the tremendous achievement that whole trilogy was and GoT is pretty much the biggest production in history of TV.

        I hope this one will have somewhat happy ending, Hunger and Shame were so grim :/

        Delete
    8. Totally agree you about Clarke & Fairly. Michele was so much better and deserving. But I am still happy that someone except Peter is recognized.

      As for Waldau, he was awesome in Kissed by Fire, but if someone from voters have watched thw whole season, they would see that Nikolai is not as great in every episode as in this particular. So it might easily give an advantage to Dinklage.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it makes me hopeful for Lena in the future, she is such a great Cersei!

        I thought he was awesome throughout the whole season. Perfect Jaime for me.

        Delete
    9. Carey Mulligan CHUBBY!? Are you fucking kidding me? Wow. What a douche. I'm with you on the outrage that is the Emmy nominations. I have such a love/hate relationship with them. I love how they gave Bryan Cranston an Emmy 3 years in a row, but I hate them when they do shit like leaving Coster-Waldau and Fairley out. Thanks for the link! I hope it's not Lafayette either. He's the funniest guy on the show. I'll cry.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know, he is crazy!

        I still cannot comprehend how Clarke got in and Fairley didn't.

        Delete
    10. Too bad Nikolaj didn't get a nomination :( I don't watch any TVs though so can't say I have any opinion on EMMYs.

      That Nicolas Winding Refn is a retard for saying such things about Mulligan (or any other actress for that matter). Looking forward to 12 Years a Slave too, but hey, who isn't? :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, he really deserved to be nominated at the very least :(

        He really is.

        Delete
    11. Great post here, definitely a lot to discuss. I gave up on the Emmys a long time ago. They're a damn shame. Love the 12 Years a Slave trailer and the new teaser for The Counselor is on point as well.

      Thanks so much for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yeah even if Emmys nominate the right shows, they don't nominate the right people.

        Delete
    12. A lot of people/critics complained Game of Thrones didn't do much else besides the wedding episode this year.

      I'm surprised it got as many nods as it did given the competition.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's much better than the competition and those people/critics are insane.

        Delete
      2. I think the people I talk to about it must be casual fans.

        Delete
      3. The general consensus among the fans of the show seems to be that season 3 is the best one, I still love season 1 the most :)

        Delete
    13. Thanks for the link!

      Agree with many of your points on the Emmys. There were some weird nominations for sure, but I'm glad Game of Thrones got so many in general. Hoping it manages to snag quite a few of them.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I'd love for it to win big, anything to get HBO to give them more and more money!:)

        Delete
    14. Thanks for the link!

      I'm always amazed at the inconsistency of Emmy voters. They never fail to snub people though, so they're consistent in that regard. :)

      The Counselor and 12 Years a Slave look amazing. Bring on that Fassbender Oscar nod!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Haha, yeah plus even if the right shows get nominations the actors who really should be noticed don't get anything :/

        YES! I think he may have a shot for 12YaS, Academy loves villains.

        Delete