Friday, July 26, 2013

(89) Ah, Comic Con. Ah, Luther. + links

By Sati. Friday, July 26, 2013

  • I was going to open with Comic Con but something much more important happened - the flawless season (series?) finale to Luther. Oh, man. That was amazing, such a poetic and wonderful ending. Kudos to Ruth Wilson for her self control. I'd do so many things right there on that bridge.
  • That moment when Ian McKellen was each and every one of us.
  • Seriously though, Comic Con. God, If I ever managed to get there... This year they had Fassbender, Cavill and Game of Thrones panel. Oh!!! Fassy, I just wanna hold you.
  • We didn't get many answers during GoT panel but something really cool happened - Jason Momoa who played Khal Drogo in season 1 made a surprise appearance, got on stage and kissed Emilia Clarke. That was so cute!
  •  Michelle Fairley and Richard Madden were among the guests and it was so sweet because they received very warm welcome from the crowd.
  • Many actors there were very busy, doing not one but two panels, including Peter Dinklage who was promoting both Game of Thrones and new X-Men movie. We got a new cute anecdote about Dance:
  • Very fresh casting news - we know who will play Ellaria Sand, Red Viper's lover. It's none other than Rome's Indira Varma. So basically she played Idris's wife in Luther and now she is going to be on Game of Thrones. She is living my dream.
    Depiction of Indira Varma as Ellaria Sand (source)
  • So I've been doing the fangirl challenge on tumblr, because, well, why not. While doing so I realized that many people are only now getting to know Vera Farmiga's awesomeness because of The Conjuring. So I just wanna say - go see Nothing but the Truth because it's her best work and it's really underrated.
  • I saw The Hunt - it was very good and Mikkelsen really carried that movie. It is one of those films that makes me wish 99% of population of Earth evaporated and animals took over. The stupidity and the incompetence of the people who surrounded this poor man was just unnerving. And they killed a dog! I kept hoping this would end like Dogville and Mikkelsen will grab a machine gun and kill these people. I would have hoped he goes all Hannibal on them but I imagine morons don't taste good so that would be a waste of effort and frying pan.
  • I also saw Dead Silence which freaked the living shit out of me. Very good horror flick with fantastic twist in the end.
  • Finally got a chance to see Only God Forgives. It was as terrible as most people say, if not more so. Thin plot, barely any story, Gosling wandering around aimlessly, freaking out the whores... When he yelled I kinda think he secured Razzie nomination, at least for me he did. Overall it was just an extremely tedious movie, as was Oblivion though not as tedious as this one. At least it had some sort of story that could have make for more than 15 minute long movie, because if you would cut out all the pointless bullshit that would be the actual runtime of Only God Forgives.
  • Hands down the best movie I saw this week, actually this whole year, was The Conjuring. I liked it so much in fact, that the review for this one will be the first movie review on the Corner to feature animated gif as a main review picture. Yes, such a big honor for that film, me spending extra 5 minutes with photoshop. Seriously, though, the genre from which I saw the most movies is horror but this one is one of the best and the most terrifying. If you want to see really fantastic horror film go see it. Also if you have dolls in the house be prepared to throw them the fuck away after this one.
  • The Playlist recently did an article with their choices for Batman in Justice League. Richard Armitage is there. If he is Batman while Cavill is Superman and let's say they throw in Elba as Green Lantern I'll just...I can't even. I have no words except for that it would be the best thing ever. It would be like a reward for years of suffering if only it was a proper blockbuster with all of them shirtless and in 3D. Yes, I'm still pissed off about the wasted opportunity in Pacific Rim. Yes, I'll never forgive them for that.
  • While everyone is shitting themselves over all those Gravity trailers I still don't really care. What got me excited, though, is that my long-awaited Under the Skin is heading both to Venice and Toronto. If it's half as creepy as the book was, it's going to be awesome.
  • Some new stills from The Counselor emerged with Javier Bardem looking all sorts of crazy.
  • links:
    • m.brown enjoyed Spring Breakers (I knew he would) while Courtney and Mette wrote posts about it too.
    • Alex and Fogs review The Conjuring
    • Brittani shares her thoughts on Only God Forgives. I couldn't agree more.
    • Chris review Pacific Rim
    • Ruth chooses her top 10 of the first half of the year
    RELATED POSTS:

    41 comments:

    1. Thanks for the link, Sati.

      Lots of awesomeness in this post!! Oh man, just the idea of seeing Cavill and Armitage together regardless of who they're playing... I'm speechless!! But y'know what, as much as I LOVE seeing HC and RA together, I'd be even more thrilled if they cast Idris as Batman, that'd almost make up for the stupidity of not casting him as James Bond!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I cannot believe he is not Bond. That would be perfection. Batman has a mask, so that's a bit worse than Bond for us girls :)

        Delete
      2. Yeah I know! I prefer Idris' face not being covered too! Speaking of Batman though, I REALLY think Richard should get it, I mean seriously! I'd prefer that his face isn't covered either, but hey, there's still the Bruce Wayne parts where we get to see his gorgeous face :D Speaking of which, watch for my indulgent post on that yesterday, based on my viewing of Batman: Year One.

        Delete
      3. Ooops, I meant to say watch for my post TOMORROW, sheesh. I also wanted to tell you I watched a few eps of Robin Hood season 3 just to watch THIS: http://meandrichard.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/5_009.jpg [be still my heart!!]

        Delete
      4. I really need to see Robin Hood, so far I'm still working on North and South post and Richard's birthday is coming up so there will be a special appreciation :) Can't wait for your post!

        Delete
    2. Oh, Fassbender, why can't we be together? ::shaking my fist at the heavens::

      Me + Comic Con next year... this must happen.

      ReplyDelete
    3. You don't even understand how much I look forward to these posts. It's almost frightening. (But on the other hand, I dread them too...simply because they are a reminder in my dateless world that it's Friday again).

      Anyway...very excited for The Conjuring. If it's half as good as you say....I'll love it.

      Fassbender is hysterical in those gifs...truly the man. Gandalf, too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Such a pleasure to read that! :) My world is dateless too, it's also filled with legal acts I have to learn, so you see...it can always be worse :)

        It's really great. I'm spooked even writing a review for it.

        Delete
    4. Ian McKellan and Michael Fassbender... what a lovely couple.

      I'm so stoked for Indira Varma as I love seeing her in Rome and Kama Sutra.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They had very nice chemistry there :)

        She was great on Rome!

        Delete
    5. YEARS ago I met Jason Momoa. My GOD. Seriously.

      I was not expecting The Conjuring to be so well liked. Usually summer release horror flicks are a bit eh. Nothing but GREAT stuff about this one. Looking forward to seeing it now!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Really? That must have been awesome! He seems like a nice guy.

        It's really fantastic, hope you'll like it!

        Delete
    6. You and I are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum on Only God Forgives, haha. I found it disturbing and and weirdly mesmerising!
      Seeing the Conjuring tonight! Will I be able to sleep afterwards? haha

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I can understand why people like this one, but I was just really bored and annoyed :)

        Awesome, hope you'll like it! I wasn't able to sleep after that one, actually :)

        Delete
    7. COMIC CON! I had to turn away from my screen for a day because it was everywhere! Nice Fassy gifs!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Comic Con is like...Utopia :)

        Delete
    8. Lord, I still have so many panels to watch! I feel like my only chance of getting to Comic Con is writing a book that will be made into a series. I ain't never gonna have enough dough to get there just as a fan! lol
      Okay, Luther is something I need to get into.
      Vera has been a rock star actress for a long time. I'm so happy she got nominated for Bates Motel.
      And, Gravity - I'm totally looking forward to it -have been for like 2 years!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, yeah I bet it's expensive :(

        Luther is fantastic, one of the best shows I've seen.

        She is one of my favorites, she made Bates Motel watchable for me.

        Delete
      2. I think it is too - especially the vendor room. You can spend a whole day just there alone!
        Eldris is one of my favorites - I'll have to check it out. :D
        She stands out above everyone on that show, especially the plot in some episodes.

        Delete
      3. This is one of his better performances as the material is awesome and it's more than the regular badass stuff he had to do in Prometheus and Pacific Rim :)

        Vera just makes everything better, if she wasn't on the show I would never ever watch it.

        Delete
    9. You're doing well with movies and blogging.. I envy your free time.. Or your ability to actually be blog productive! I mean, you were all about school the last couple of months and you still managed to be better at blogging than I am this summer. Anyway, glad you liked The Conjuring,.. I saw the trailer and thought it was pretty good. Too bad for Gosling's movie though..

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, if I'm not blogging/tumblring I'm doing tests for bar exam so this blog is pretty much the only thing that keeps me sane :)

        Gosling just embarrassed himself in the film, I never noticed before that he sounds like a little girl when he shrieks :) Hope you'll get a chance to see Conjuring!

        Delete
      2. When I'm not working I literally don't have the energy to blog.. but then again, I'm trying to be social as well and see as much of Ireland as I can. I guess it's a bit different.

        Oh. Poor guy. I really like him but I haven't been gushing over him for years now. I liked Place Beyond the Pines but I kind of liked Cooper in it more than Gosling.. he is loosing his magic on me. Sad. Moment of silence is needed at this point.

        Delete
      3. Oh, if I were in Ireland I wouldn't blog at all, I'll try to find someone to marry me so I could stay there forever :)

        Haha, yeah Cooper was much better than Gosling in TPBTP for me too. I really hope he gets better roles than the ones he had this year.

        Delete
    10. Thanks for the link! I wish I could go to Comic Con, I would probably have fangirl overload. That's kind of nice to think of Charles Dance tapping Dinklage on the shoulder after every take. Especially after all the mean shit Tywin always says to Tyrion.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! He's gonna need to start hugging him after those trial scenes in season 4 :)

        Delete
    11. That Armitage guy looks hot, I think I could handle him as Bruce Wayne. Oh I love Comic-Con, the panels you mentioned were amazing! But my fav was the one celebrating the 20th anniversary of The X-Files, I almost died from excitement and nostalgia, it was so sweet.

      I saw The Hunt as well, it was much better than I thought it would be - I only watched it in the first place for Mads, who was INSANELY great in it, I was so revolted by the whole situation. I'm still hoping I see something positive in Only God Forgives, but from the bits I've seen so far it just seems boring and fake -- though it could all come together somehow, who knows. I'm not planning on watching it anytime soon, though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He is really hot :) I saw all those photos of Anderson and Duchovny from San Diego, they looked really cute!

        Mads was just terrific, the church scene was one of the finest acted scenes I've seen in a really long time.

        Delete
    12. I love how some of the Rome actors are popping up in GOT. It's like my two fave shows are becoming one. haha. Looking forward to your Conjuring review.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really hope they'll get Polly Walker on the show, she would be an amazing lady Merryweather.

        Delete
    13. Wooooo The Conjuring!!! Glad you liked it so much, some 'horror experts' were telling me it was just ok when I announced my love for it haha.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They are not much of experts then as this is the first classy horror film in a seriously long time and it's even funnier that it's from the director of Saw :)

        Delete
    14. Love your recap Sati. I finished Luther this weekend. Loved it! I guess there i talk of a film? I dunno. I know this much though, I love me some Idris and Ruth Wilson playing off of one another.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I feel the series ended perfectly and they should let it end there, but if there is a movie I'm sure going to see it, I just hope they won't mess up things between Alice and John cause now they are right where I want them :)

        Delete
    15. Oh yeah appreciate the "much love" for Fassy. I think I would have had all sorts of fits. But then again I did attend a screening and Q&A in Brooklyn where he was present several years ago and I was able to control myself. It can be done ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh If I was near him I'd either die or get locked up in mental house :)

        Delete
    16. Ha, that LOTR gif made me laugh.

      Sorry you didn't care for Only God Forgives, which I really liked. Gosling's yell was awesome! ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I nearly spat out my drink when he yelled. Never noticed how he sounds like a little kid when he yells. If he yelled in Drive I think the intensity of the performance would go straight to hell :)

        Delete
    17. Glad you were able to see The Hunt, a film that can evoke strong feelings, so your emotional reaction is understandable. I agree Mikkelsen carried it.

      That upcoming film Under The Skin with Scarlett Johansson looks interesting, didn't know it was based on a book-which I've just noticed is in in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, it's a great book, I hope the film is going to be at least half as good.

        Delete