Friday, August 30, 2013

(94) This is why you shouldn't hitchhike even if ScarJo is behind the wheel + links

By Sati. Friday, August 30, 2013
  •  Venice film festival has started and everyone is shitting themselves over Gravity - a film that I still don't give a damn about. What I can't wait for, though is Under the Skin, which premiered yesterday on Telluride film festival. The very first reviews are positive and apparently Scarlett is doing an amazing job in the movie - some even said this is her best performance. 
  • Let me just tell you now - do NOT read any plot summaries of that movie. In the book the whole intrigue is revealed after 100 pages in and here they are ruining it for people.
  • Unfortunately, from what I read it seems they changed the plot a LOT, which is not a good sign - the novel is absolutely excellent and I read it in one day. The more reviews I read the more it seems the film is only inspired by the novel. That is a big shame. I bet they stripped the story of what made it into such a disturbing tale and it's going to be Johansson wandering around, being all mysterious. I hope the reason for which Isserley (Laura in the movie, hell, they even changed her name) picks up all those men was kept at the very least. And if they reveal 'vodsel' the way they do it in the book, it may actually be this year's scariest film. But with my luck this will be a good movie, but a terrible fucking adaptation that has very little to do with the wonderful source material which I loved.
  •  I read a tweet from a person who said she liked the movie but she wanted to leave because it has infant drowning, dog dying and a rape scene. The tweet didn't mention the most gruesome part of the story, though, and I really don't think they could have avoided it as it is a crucial sequence. There was no infant drowning in the book - I hate this trend of adding shocking and grim things to already shocking and grim story.
  • Also - the dog didn't die in the novel. The protagonist simply had a dream it may die. If the scene with the dog dying is not a dream sequence...can you imagine how pissed off I'm gonna be? I'm still grieving after seeing The Hunt and The Conjuring and it was weeks ago.
  •  New teaser for American Horror Story: Coven showed up and it's entitled Stakes. This show is what is keeping me alive while I'm dealing with the horrible 9 month-long wait for Game of Thrones.
  • I decided there is absolutely no way I can swing watching Breaking Bad each week, so I'm just gonna wait till October and see the whole season at once.
  • Tina Fey and Amy Poehler have been asked to host Golden Globe ceremony again. This has to happen. They were amazing.
  • Look at Clooney in Venice. Fucking hell. WHY? He was all over the news this week, it's so distracting - how can you do anything when you can just stare at him?
  • Also apparently 'a local lawyer' reported Clooney for driving a water taxi?! Why can't I be 'a local lawyer' in such situation? Never mind the fact I would never report him, I'm not in Venice, and despite studying maritime law and getting an A from the exam I remember nothing. Kids, listen to aunt Maggie. Collage is useless.
  • Some very bad news for the institution of marriage - Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci broke up and few days later so did Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. If Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally aka the best marriage in the world ever break up, I swear to God I'm never getting married.
  • Christopher Nolan is smartly abandoning the sinking ship Superman vs Batman project. In what I believe is still unconfirmed news, Bryan Cranston has joined the project as Lex Luthor. Did Ben Affleck offered him a month on his private yacht for that or something?
  • Unfortunately, Nolan's other ship - Interstellar's rumoured plot is awful.
  • James Spader will play lead villain in the second Avengers movie. This is excellent.

  • Ladies and Gentlemen we have actual photos from the set of Game of Thrones season 4. The filming started in Croatia this week and we can see Gwendoline Christie and Natalie Dormer yet again having launch with her grandma Queen of Thorns, probably plotting against or joking about Lannisters while they are at it. Apparently Natalie is yet again wearing the variation of the very same dress she wore in season 3. Jesus Christ, people, there are other colors than teal. Can't you make some other dresses for her? How about green? It's Tyrell color! Also can someone hide in the bushes and snap a photo of Lena Headey in her costume? Cersei has the best dresses.
  • Speaking of Game of Thrones cast, based on what they are posting on twitter and instagram they are continuously partying - either in the pubs or in the hotel rooms, where apparently they gather around to watch new episodes of Breaking Bad. GoT cast has more free time than I have.
  • Now on to the clusterfuck - several days ago it was announced that the role of Tommen (Cersei's son) was recast. Today it was announced that the role of Khaleesi's sex toy Daario was recast - he now will be played by Michiel Huisman, who apparently stars on HBO show Treme and sucks in it. I fucking hate recasts - they really take you away from the show and all the puzzling omissions and changes are seriously piling up in that series. So several hours ago I started whining about all those recasst and the fact that the one role that should be recast - The Mountain - wasn't. And now I see this. Actual magical powers. Again.
  • So my birthday is next week.

  • Yeah.
  • 4 more weeks to the new season of Parks and Recreation. Tatiana Maslamy, from the show Orphan Black, which I still haven't seen, will guest star as Aziz Ansari's love interest. She seems to be getting along with Aubrey Plaza and Rashida Jones.
  • I managed to see two movies this week - Mud, which was excellent and I should post the review for this one during the weekend, and Star Trek Into Darkness, which was horribly boring and I only managed to watch the whole thing because of hilarious Simon Pegg.

  • links:

    • Brittani reviews What Maisie Knew
    • Chris reviews The Place Beyond the Pines
    • Jaina watched The Descent and The Conjuring
    • Go and wish Nikhat happy birthday!
    • Ruth shares the line-up of Twin Cities film festival
    • Bonjur Tristesse is covering Venice film festival
    • Alex includes Joan Allen in his wonderful In Character series.

    what if hannibal told lame jokes instead of implying cannibalism?

    RELATED POSTS:

    34 comments:

    1. I really want to see Under the Skin. The premise itself sort of reminds me of The Man Who Fell to Earth. Maybe this will be Scarlett's best performance as I think she's better than most younger actresses right now. To me, she's the Daniel Bryan to Jena Malone's CM Punk. Both started out as child actors and then proved to be the finest in the world of indie films for awhile. Except that Johansson went mainstream and did some good films and some bad ones.

      I'm glad Christopher Nolan won't be involved in the Man of Steel sequel. I don't want to know about the plot of his next film. I'll make my decision once the first trailer comes out.

      Oh, and Clint Eastwood is splitting up with his wife as well.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. She is a great actress, people seem to forget it because of how hot she is.

        Me too, he is just so much better than this and it seems he was utterly wasted during the production of Man of Steel.

        Really? Damn!

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the link! It really was a bad week for marriage, wasn't it :-/

      I can't wait for Coven, really pumped for AHS to begin again.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! It sure sucked :/

        Awesome! I'm gonna do my annual AHS anticipation post once EW does an article on the new season, so far I only have a bunch of blurry on set photos and rumors and it's not enough :)

        Delete
    3. Hmm GoT and American H. S. are my favorite shows and the waiting just kills. You mentioned Parks and Recreation, is it a good series to watch?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think it's the funniest TV series currently on air - it has amazing, memorable characters and tons of heart and warmth. It's like a cross between The Office and Friends.

        Delete
    4. Hmm, infant drowning, dog death, and rape. I think that automatically puts it on my "don't see until it's on Netflix and I can fast forward through that shit" list.

      I hate recasts too. The Mountain especially got on my nerves because the guy in the first season was A BEAST! I guess I can see why they'd want to recast Tommen with an older actor, but the kid that played him was adorable. I just think it's weird that they re-cast him with someone that was already another character in GOT. I'm still curious as to why they recast Daario. I can't find an answer anywhere.

      I used to never understand why people thought George Clooney was attractive. But now I get it. And OMG that picture!

      Thank you for linking my What Maisie Knew review! I loved that movie so much.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, it's a heavy load of disturbing :/

        The kid who played Tommen was great, I loved the scene on the Throne in Blackwater. It's so weird - it just breaks the illusion. I heard something about the actor shooting some TV show at the same time and scheduling conflict, seems odd the contract didn't prevent it from happening.

        He is so...yummy :)

        You're welcome! I hope I'll get to see it soon.

        Delete
    5. Can't wait for Parks and Rec to finally return! Sucks thought that Rashida Jones is departing halfway through.

      Surprised about Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones! They were one of the couples who always seemed to have a stable Hollywood marriage.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah :( I'm even more sad Lowe is leaving, he is so hilarious on the show. I have no idea what Leslie will do without Ann btw.

        I read some rumors about them lately, about Cat's struggle with her illness + Douglas was behaving really odd in the last few months so I'm not surprised. I'm more shocked about Cassel and Belluci, to be honest.

        Delete
    6. Didn't even know that Under the Skin was an adaptation - thanks for pointing that out, I'll try to find a copy and read it before watching the movie.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, do read it! I bet the book will be 5x better than the movie, parts of it are impossible to film.

        Delete
    7. Thanks for the link!

      Happy birthday in advance :)

      ReplyDelete
    8. I don't know. Knowing nothing about the book or movie Under the Skin, if Scarlett pulls up and offers me a ride somewhere...

      So curious as to the actual reasoning behind the recast of Daario. The world may never know.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That would be a big mistake considering the character she is playing :)

        I heard a rumor it's scheduling conflicts.

        Delete
    9. I didn't know that Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci break up and before Catherine Zeta Jones & Michael Douglas. It seems couples that we think last end up divorced.

      Look forward for your thoughts about Mud

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'll try to post the review today, really liked the movie!

        Delete
    10. Look forward to Under The Skin, about time Scarlett got an oscar nom.

      As Andina said above, I too thought Catherine Zeta Jones & Michael Douglas relationship would last. Hopefully they can figure it out soon.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't think she will for this, but hopefully she will deliver good performance.

        I don't think they will:( To be honest if Douglas talked such shit about where his cancer came from while being married to me I'd leave him long ago.

        Delete
    11. I've been adrift for awhile, but I'm glad you're still delivering these kick ass posts! Supes vs. Batman sounds like a sinking ship indeed, but I'll be powerless against it...I know it.

      I'll say happy birthday now, because I know I'll forget next week. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!#

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I sure am! I really hope it will be good for Adams and Cavill's sake but...it just doesn't seem to be a chance it will be.

        Thank you! :)

        Delete
    12. Huh. Under the Skin actually sounded pretty generic to me, but i will take your word for it that there is more to it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have no idea if there is in the movie, but there sure is in the book.

        Delete
    13. Thanks for the link, dahling! So we feature each other's post last Friday then, we're kindred spirits ;)

      Oh too bad about Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci, but hey don't despair Sati, I've been married for 11 years and we still get along as well if not better as when we're dating, so don't let these Hollywood folks tell you otherwise. Heck, who can survive when they live in a bubble like that.

      Oh happy almost birthday! I hope you're gonna do something fun to celebrate the festivities. Speaking of which, did you see that Chris (Terry Malloy Pigeon Coop) ran into Richard Armitage at Harrods on his London trip? I had him describe the encounter in detail on my post. Oh my, I'm SO jealous!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome and thank you! :)

        11 years is very impressive especially that you guys still talk :) Most of the marriages I know are just miserable :/

        Thanks! I'm probably just gonna watch one of my fav comedies, also I have 3 different parties this month because most people have actual jobs so it's hard to schedule something unlike me and my crappy studying of legal acts which I can at least postpone a day or two :)

        I read that, Jesus, I'd just grab Richard and held him until the police showed up.

        Delete
    14. Thank you for the link! :)

      I've already made Ruth jealous with this, but I thought you'd like to know I walked right past Richard Armitage in London the other day :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Oh my God. I'd just jump on him :P

        Delete
    15. I'm not impressed with the recasting of Daario, but the new Mountain is an improvement. Should at least make a certain highly anticipated duel watchable.

      Can't wait to see Under the Skin.

      And thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't really care about Dany at this point and by extension about Daario, but thank God for the new Mountain, this dual needs to be epic.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    16. I still think the best marriage in Hollywood is Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedwick.. they've been together for ages and they don't seem to have any bad mojo or anything.

      I can't wait to get back to my blog.. just couple of more days and I'll be back with so many movies to review that I can't even think straight. My anticipation for The Conjuring is slowly growing with you and I think I should watch the last episode GOT.. I'm putting it off for months cause it means the season's over.. :D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yeah, they are really good together!

        Can't wait for your new posts, I only watch like 4 movies a month now so I don't have much to review :/

        Delete
    17. Yes! Bring back Fey and Poehler! :D

      Glad you liked Mud so much. Can't wait to read your review!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They were so funny, I'd love for them to host again.

        I'll try to finish it, finally, this week :)

        Delete