Friday, October 25, 2013

(102) Oh, Counselor... + links

By Sati. Friday, October 25, 2013
  • I really hope Angela Bassett gets all the possible awards for this season of American Horror Story. She is fabulous!
  • Halloween is near! There will be something special on the blog for this occasion but more on that later. I'm still undecided what movie to watch, except for as usual on Halloween - Practical Magic.
  • The Counselor is getting slaughtered with bad reviews. Man, I knew the film is going to be divisive but this is real bad. Diaz looked like the film's bet shot at some important nominations but apparently she is not that good. Bardem is reportedly doing great job and he and Pitt are the only ones who seem like they are having fun with material. This is now the second Ridley Scott movie in 2 years that is going to get in trouble because of the script.
  • Monuments Men got postponed to 2014. All I wanted was to see Jean Dujardin in soldier clothes for Christmas. Apparently I was asking for too much.
  • Meanwhile, Wolf of Wall Street is getting released this year after all. Jean in the suit is a nice Christmas gift too. Too bad the film looks like a complete disaster.
  • This is all causing a lot of havoc in people's Oscar predictions, seems like tons of good stuff got moved to 2014 so who knows what will happen this year.
  • I saw so much shit this week - I saw two versions of Carrie - 2002 and 2013 - both terrible. Some stuff worked in 2002, other stuff worked in 2013, but even put together they wouldn't make a decent movie. If Patricia Clarkson can't create good performance and if Julianne Moore is bad, there is clearly something very bad happening. I also saw House at the End of the Street which was ridiculous and didn't even fall in one genre - was it supposed to be a drama? Horror? What the hell?
  • But I have even worse shit to watch as I heard Friday the 13th series is loaded with movies that are so bad that it is funny, Wicker Man-style, so I'm gonna check it out soon.
  • So my mother bought a monkey mascot for Gustav and he kept humping it. It's as disturbing as it is hilarious. I had to lock the monkey in my room. He's pissed off. On the bright side he looks fabulous in his autumn sweater.
  • 50 Shades of Grey found its new Christian Grey and luckily it is not Alexander Skarsgard. It's someone who is called Jaime Dornan. Good looking lad, a step up from Hunnam.
  • The asinine tradition for teasers for trailers continues with 6-second long snippet from X-Men: Days of the Future Past. It actually looks pretty cool.
  • OK so for Halloween - I have so many new posts ready including the new Visual Parallels on The Hunt and Take Shelter, but for Halloween I'm gonna do something special
  • On 29th - since everyone loves scary stories and the most disturbing part is usually the ending, I'm gonna post a list of 10 disturbing movie endings.
  • On 30th I'm gonna post 7 super spooky episodes of classic TV series - Tales from the Crypt.
  • and on 31st - the recap of the next episode of American Horror Story.

  • links:



     RELATED POSTS:

    29 comments:

    1. Thanks so much for the link!

      I really liked The Counselor, but I understand why MANY will not. It isn't a Ridley Scott film, and it isn't exactly what I expected from a Cormac McCarthy script. Like so many films today, it suffers from bad marketing. It is nowhere near the action thriller that the trailer shows it to be. Very slow, very brooding. A thinker.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I really can't wait to see this one!

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the link! I love that Javier gif, that's hilarious. I still want to see The Counselor no matter how bad the reviews are. I'm looking forward to your Halloween posts! They sound fun.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Hope you'll enjoy the posts :)

        Delete
    3. Fantastic gif set! And, I look forward to your Halloween poses!
      Learning from past Oscar predictions, I like to keep my favorites in mind but film and people inevitably get turned down or take severales notch of nominations. I'm trying to just wait it out this year until we get closer before my fangirl rages on about unworthy nominations. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks!

        It looks like it will be hard to predict the nominees but easy to predict the winners this year :)

        Delete
    4. Oh man, that Thor gif is funny. If Jane had saw that, she'd get pissed until that blonde will see Loki and dump Thor for the gorgeousness that is Loki.

      Ridley Scott needs to make better choices in his scripts and I was upset to learn that Cameron's butt in that car-grinding scene was a double.

      So whenever you watch Practical Magic, do you always have a margarita in your hands?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, yeah Loki gets all the ladies :P

        A double? Really? That's a shame.

        I'm more of a red wine kind of a girl :P

        Delete
    5. I was a bit sad as well about the bad reviews of The Counselor... I was really looking forward to that one. I used to have a minor crush on Jaime Dornan when I was a teenager. But I don't even know what he's done with his life so far. Sounds like a good fit, though! (aesthetically, at least)

      Oh yay, your halloween program sounds awesome!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, the reviews are disappointing :( It has quite a disastrous RT rating.

        Delete
    6. Gustav looked cute. Jean Dujardin must've look gorgeous in soldier uniform. I just saw Le Passe, where Berenice Bejo starred, she's great in there. Ashamed that The Counselor failed to impress almost everyone.

      Thanks for the kind link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I really want to see The Past, it's getting great reviews.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    7. I actually happen to like Jamie Dornan. He is the guy from Once Upon a Time that got killed off too soon and he plays a serial killer in The Fall. You should check The Fall out, it will give you an idea what this Northern Irish guy is all about. I can imagine him in 50 Shades but then again, I haven't read the books so I can't really be certain but we'll see. He has that something something.
      Can't wait for your Halloween posts!
      And thanks for the link! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I haven't seen these two but I heard good things about The Fall. Ooh, he is Irish? Nice :P

        Delete
      2. I actually remember Jamie Dornan from 'Marie Antoinette.' He was Marie boytoy. He's a very good looking guy. I also liked him in 'The Fall.'

        Delete
    8. Friday the 13th series is a must see. They're so much fun.
      Such a shame about The Counselor. As for Diaz, it looks like she's completely divided audiences, hopefully I'll be on the side that likes her performance. I hear a lot of good stuff got cut out of the film.

      Angela Bassett is amazing this season in AHS.

      PS - I look forward to reading your halloween posts!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I saw the first one this week, it was great!

        I think maybe they left out a bit too much of that dialogue-loaded screenplay in :/

        Delete
    9. Thanks for the link! Always appreciated :)

      I had such high hopes for The Counselor, real shame it's getting panned. And I love that Thor gif, even I'm a little jealous of that woman.

      Looking forward to your next Visual Parallel, always love those :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Haha yeah, that's one lucky lady!

        Delete
    10. Hi Sati, greetings from NYC! Sorry I've been absent as I've been swamped w/ TCFF. Btw, saw Mandela last night and Idris was wonderful of course.

      Btw I had to miss The Counselor screening but y'know, after reading some of the bad reviews, it's perhaps best that I wait for dvd anyway. Still curious about it though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, awesome, can't wait to see this movie!

        Yeah, the reviews are pretty terrible :/

        Delete
    11. Gustav looks very fetching in his sweater and hat. ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Thanks for the link!

      Bummer to see so many negative reviews for The Counselor. I still plan on seeing it soon, but yeah, not good...

      Heh, funny you should mention House at the End of the Street. Netflix keeps recommending it to me, probably because of my love for Jennifer Lawrence, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to watch it. Sounds like it isn't worth the trouble, eh?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Me too, I really can't decide whether I'll like it or hate it.

        It's a bad movie but Jen is good in it, she looks really hot too :)

        Delete
    13. Sad to hear that stuff about The Counselor. Watched the first trailer, impressed, thought I'd try and not see/read anything more because I REALLY wnat to see it. Oh well!

      That Thor gif set amused me. But I realised it's the wrong type of tube for that station in London and aggravated me. They did exactly the same in Skyfall... ARRGHH!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Really? I was on tube only once so I never know the difference :)

        Delete
    14. I can't say I loved The Counselor, but I didn't hate it. I might actually see it again to try to make up my mind.

      After seeing the new trailer, I'm really excited about X-Men: Days of Future Past!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I can't wait for your review! Glad you didn't hate it.

        Delete