Saturday, November 23, 2013

(106) in the land of gods and monsters... + links

By Sati. Saturday, November 23, 2013
  • People magazine chose Adam Levine as the Sexiest Man Alive. When Aliens invade I'm not gonna fight them. We, us a race, deserve punishment.
  • Lana del Rey's short film Tropico is finally getting released - December 5th is the big day and the teaser for the film looks seriously awesome. Also Lana needs to get back to that studio and record some new stuff - I've been annoying my neighbors with Paradise Edition (and GoT soundtracks) for months now.
  • I don't know what is going on in Doctor Who fandom today (UPDATE - apparently it's 50th anniversary) but it's entertaining to watch unravel on tumblr. For us, back in niche Hannibal fandom, Mads Mikkelsen calling himself  'daddy' in the interview is a big deal that gets tumblrsplosion.
  • I'm still rewatching ER. I think Dr Romano, who is the most entertaining character in the show right now (middle of season 5 is when they took away my George), definitely had influence on many of those cynical and heartless bastards in TV shows that we so often see nowadays. His lines are killer! I love them so much I did something I almost never do (because it's a tedious process) - made gifs with text on them.
  • I didn't see any movies this week. I was going to see Charlie Countryman but something came up and here we are, 7 days later. I'm gonna try to see this and Ain't them Bodies Saints this weekend.
  • Is 2013 a year to rip off Black Swan? First Moretz with all the hissing in Carrie and now this:
  • Elegant way to put it is paying homage. Well, stop paying homages to my favorite movie - you're not good enough.
  • I'm gonna give The Hunger Games another shot, though - I decided to rewatch the first movie, but I'm probably not going to finish it. It's so damn boring and I'm shocked at all the praise it got. That new movie looks a bit better, but I'm still surprised how plain the male lead is. And his character is annoying. When I was watching the first movie I kept rooting for Katniss to kill him within the first hour. Now, had that happened, I'd give it points for originality.
  • Things on American Horror Story are becoming even more crazy. I haven't posted my weekly recap, hell I haven't even started writing one yet. I think I'll just join it with next episode's recap. Anyways here is a spoiler pic for what will happen on the show. Think the ending of Death Becomes Her.
  • I have been informed about an outage that took place. Guillermo del Toro shot scenes with Idris Elba being shirtless in Pacific Rim. AND HE DIDN'T USE THEM. Good God, why is this happening to me? I PAID FOR 3D YOU SON OF A BITCH.
  •  That Tom Hiddleston meme you guys liked so much is evolving.
  • You'll get kick out of this one since the stories in which I suffer are usually best ones. A while ago I made a bet with my friend who said Euron or Victarion Geyjoy won't be in the season 4 of Game of Thrones. I said Euron has to be in it because of what has to happen in the premiere episode. If I lost the bet I was supposed to accompany him to the cinema to see Nymphomaniac. I lost the fucking bet.
  • Yep, yep. HBO fucked me over again. The production on the show already ended and there was no casting news about any of the Greyjoys. I just hope at no point of Nymphomaniac will Von Trier show us Dafoe's dick. I can barely stand looking at this dude's face so really his dick is a bit too much. I know it sounds awful, but honestly ever since Wild at Heart he makes my skin crawl.

  • links:
    • Courtney and Keith review 12 Years a Slave
    • Elina shared really cool list of 20 things she loved in Breaking Bad
    • Chris reviews Philomena
    • Ruth shares her picks for MettelRay's Breaking Emotions blogathon. I love what she wrote about Christian Bale in The New World.
    • Brittani reviews underrated Byzantium
    • Alex blogs about his next film, Wait, which he is working on in LA right now
    • m.brown wrote a hilarious review for something called Cat People
    RELATED POSTS:

    31 comments:

    1. Adam Levine... that man has been in my enemies list since 2005 for butchering "Closer". To prevent this ongoing alien invasion. I will kill him and serve his head to them on a silver platter.

      Can I take your place to accompany your friend to see Nymphomaniac? You don't have to pay me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Please do, him being chose by People is just terrible :/

        The thing is the whole point of this is my suffering during Von Trier's film :)

        Delete
      2. Let me spare you from that suffering so I can watch the film. You know how much I love Lars von Trier.

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the link!

      Okay, that ER shit is pretty funny. I don't remember laughing during that show, but I bounced when Clooney did.

      Enjoy Nymphomaniac! Oh, Lars. That f--king guy still owes me a TV.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I stuck around till season 10 when Romano was gone. Without Mark, Carter, Benton, Doug and Carol it just didn't feel the same.

        I'm fairly sure the actual cinema will explode during this movie. It's just too much of sick shit at one time.

        Delete
    3. I LOVE Dr Romano. He was such a gem on that show. So priceless.

      Thank you so much for the link. I really appreciate you helping to spread the word about the film!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He is so entertaining!

        You're very welcome, can't wait for your new film!

        Delete
    4. Have you heard much of Lana's unreleased stuff? I found this link that had 100 or so songs on there...some of it is really good, other stuff not so much. Find her song 'Paradise' on YouTube. Seriously LOVE that song!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think I have everything she ever recorded - live, remixes, unreleased, demos...Paradise is great!

        Delete
    5. Hahaha your end pictures are always classic. When is GoT back already!!!

      I thought the first Hunger Games was ok but definitely enjoyed Catching Fire more. Interested in your thoughts if you see it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really cannot wait for new season. Still 5 months away :/

        I'll probably see it in few weeks, there are films i actually want to see I cannot get around to watch for some reason :)

        Delete
    6. Oh my God those last pictures make me want to cry! What an awful bet, that movie just looks terrible. Plus I don't blame you on not wanting to see DaFoe I saw more of his ass than I ever wanted to in AntiChrist. That was bad enough. I'm with you on Peeta for the Hunger Games. I read the books after I saw the first film, and I never got the dilemma Katniss has since Peeta looks like Josh Hutcherson and Gale looks like Liam Hemsworth. That's kind of a no brainer there. I dig the movies/books though. They're a good quick read.(minus the first 1/3 of the 3rd book) And thank you for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He is so creepy. And he is kinda repulsive on account of all the weird guys he played.

        Yeah the guy just looks so...whimpy. Hemsworth is so much better looking.

        Delete
    7. Do not get that Hunger Games movie whatsoever. Was the most average film I saw last year. Nothing of any note and people still go batshit over it. Definitely not wasting the money to go see the next one in the cinema. Even if it does look marginally better. Eh.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I don't get what's so great about that series either.

        Delete
    8. 'And we'll never be royals.' 'Royals' :D , that made me lol. Oh Rob, dear Rob, perhaps if Walder Frey was a female maybe you would have lived, but you know, live sucks :D .

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's so hard to laugh a anything related to Red Wedding but every once in a while true gem of a meme appears on tumblr :)

        Delete
    9. Loving those Tropico gifs...I adore Lana, but I agree it's time for her to get in the studio and provide us with more music!

      Definitely give Catching Fire a chance. It's definitely better than the first film, and Jena Malone is awesome in it!! Thanks for the link <3333

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think she is pissed off some of her news songs leaked.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    10. THANK YOU so much for the link, I'm thrilled you love that scene too :D

      Oh man, People magazine continues w/ their idiotic choice for Sexiest Man Alive year after year!! Speaking of who SHOULD've been the obvious choice, did you see this trailer w/ Richard Madden? http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/25/trailer-richard-madden-klondike/ Though I'm more interested in this period drama The Promise http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2191082/

      What is up w/ Del Toro not using THAT shirtless pic of Idris Elba?? Come on man!! In contrast, I'm SO with you about Dafoe, seriously that's just gross!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I did see it, cannot wait to watch that movie, he is so hot! The Promise looks great, him and Rickman in one film sounds amazing.

        Yeah Dafoe being naked is a bit much.

        Delete
    11. As much as I know Nymphomaniac is gonna be such a crock of shit, I'm still intrigued to see it. Sure I'll regret it after about 5 minutes. And thank you for the link, very kind :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't even need to see it - I already regret it :P

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    12. I'm a fan of The Hunger Games because it's quite smartly done and since I read the books.. all of them... before I saw the first movie, I understood the movie better I guess. The second is a better movie all together because it was a better book but I'm afraid what's gonna happen in the third cause the book was crap.

      I'm a fan of Peeta as well, I'm just going against the stream and not really on the Hemsworth boat. I think Hutcherson's jaw is awesome.

      PS: I'm not 100% sure but I think the scene with Katniss being the mockingjay was written in the book released prior to Black Swan... But there clearly are some resemblance to Black Swan in that scene.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, the Mockingjay dress was written that way. I didn't even think of Black Swan when I saw it, but now that you point it out Sati I see the resemblance.

        Delete
      2. I did not have trouble understanding the story, I simply didn't find it that interesting or refreshing to begin with.

        I'm sure it was written before that, the issue is how it was shot :)

        Delete
    13. Great post, love the links you've got on here. Must be a great feeling to be featured on one of these posts.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I don't know if it is, you should ask my followers that :)

        Delete
      2. I sure know that I would feel great if I was featured on a post like this.

        Delete
    14. I liked Charlie Countryman, even if it was a bit uneven. While I was a little more enthusiastic than you about the first Hunger Games, I surprisingly loved Catching Fire. Hope you get to see both of them soon.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm probably gonna see Countryman before this month is over :) Probably... :)

        Delete