Friday, December 6, 2013

(108) Christmas, Oscars, Cumberbitches + links

By Sati. Friday, December 6, 2013
  • George Clooney has been giving a lot of interviews lately. In one of those he said that he 'hasn't met the love of his life yet'. I'm RIGHT HERE GEORGE!!!
  • Speaking of campaigning for Oscar - apparently there is a threesome scene involving both Leo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill in The Wolf of Wall Street. That's not the best part of this news. The best part is that this is apparently one of the more tame moments in the film. What the fuck is going on in this movie? And more importantly - does Jean Dujardin gets to do any depraved stuff?
  • Once again it's Christmas on the Corner, completed with Reindeer Lana, stockings and Black Swan with rosy cheeks - and by that I mean the new header of the blog. There are also snowmen on the sides and my new avatar is semi-suicidal Wednesday Addams in Santa hat.
  • On Christmasy note, here are very special season greetings from the wonderful Peter Capaldi:

  • It's not quite the time for me to start listening to Christmas music yet (usually classics
    + Enya's and Tori Amos's Christmas albums), but it's the high time to see Love Actually again.
  • The picture on the right is extremely, painfully, accurate.
  • There were two very sad pieces of news last week - first one dealing with Paul Walker dying in a car accident. I really liked Joy Ride and Running Scared. I haven't seen any of The Fast and the Furious movies but it's very sad when someone dies under such sudden circumstances. My mother who has no idea who he was saw his picture during news one day and as usual she had priceless comment - 'Good looking guy! Good looking guys shouldn't die".
  • Another sad news is obviously about Nelson Mandela passing away. People have been posting tributes ever since the news broke but some of the people also started talking about the impact of this on Oscar season. That has met a certain amount of screaming from professionally outraged people who are just looking for stuff to bitch about. They are actually intercutting the news about his death with clips from the movie here, so there you go.
  • Speaking of outraged people, I'm one of them, but my outrage concerns Satellite awards nominations and the lack of nomination for Clooney in Gravity. This is bullshit. Stay tuned for my Making a Case for post on that this weekend.
  • We also had NBR wins. Those were crazy. I can't even make heads or tails about how they chose these guys. And about NYFCC awards - If you are awarding movies and you don't give award to Gravity for cinematography - you are doing it wrong. And that is a fucking fact.
  • Continuing the newly established tradition of featuring a very bad poster - here is the cover for Chinese bootleg of Drive.
  • I've seen three movies this week. First one was Black Death which I caught on TV during St. Andrew's Day so it was kinda perfect. It featured lovely Carice Van Houten who played a badass witch, Sean Bean who obviously died - this time being ripped apart by the horses - and Eddie Redmayne. Can people stop casting him please? He is the worst. And he got to be deranged by the time the movie was over so it was even more uncomfortable to watch. The film was pretty good, though.
  • Another movie I saw was the rewatch of A Fish Called Wanda. So hilarious. Yet again I cried from laughing so hard when that big dog grabbed that Yorkie. Gustav was outraged.
  • And finally, I saw Catching Fire. It was better than the first film but I'm still no fan. Monkey action was disturbing.
  • I also got to see Lana Del Rey's wonderful Tropico. It's enigmatic and gorgeously shot - it's basically 3 music videos that are connected to each other - Body Electric, Gods & Monsters and Bel Air. If you like her videos you should definitely check it out. 
  • In American Horror Story news, Lance Reddick, who played Daniels in The Wire was cast as  voodoo Satan for the final episodes of Coven. This is gonna be great!
  • Speaking of horror stories, we have a winter storm in Europe right now. It's kinda like our version of hurricane, except with snow. It's snowing all the time, it's like in freaking Narnia again. Gustav loves the snow, so I still need to walk him around the neighborhood every evening for 40 minutes because he needs to find a perfect place to poop in. You would think he would have some compassion and not take his sweet time, since I'm freezing. He is not freezing - he has a coat, a red scarf, freaking hat, everything.
  • I'm not the one to go nuts about Benedict Cumberbatch, but many of my readers are so I feel obliged to post this one. Several days ago Benedict was a guest on Kimmel show and he read certain R. Kelly lyrics. I sympathize. If that was Mikkelsen, Elba or Clooney reading those, I'd be fucking dead by now.
  • Let's end with adorably confused Richard Armitage:
  • Eric reviews fantastic The Secret in their Eyes
  • m.brown wrote hilarious and very accurate review for one of the worst movies of the year - Mama
  • Ruth has five new movie relate questions in another edition of Five for Fifth
  • Brittani and Keith review Frances Ha, which I'll watch tonight
  • Anna shares beautiful cinematography of A Single Man
  • Vinnieh reviews my all time favorite, Black Swan
  • Chris reviews Blackfish, which I should see but I won't because my heart couldn't take it
  • msmariah posts 10 reasons to love Tom Hiddleston
  • Jack reviews The Counselor
  • Alex shares a lovely tribute for Paul Walker
  • Dan reviews hugely underrated and brilliant Intolerable Cruelty
  • RELATED POSTS:

    36 comments:

    1. I loved that Tropico video. Really great work from Lana there. Thanks for the link, glad you liked the tribute. Although, I wish I never had to write it :-/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really hope she makes a movie like that again some time, she has such great style and imagination.

        You're welcome, loved reading that one.

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the linkage, Sati! I want to be a Cumberbitch so bad! What do I have to do?!?!?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Be a crazy loyal, passionate fan, I guess :)

        Delete
    3. Oh my God @ those Benedict Cumberbatch gifs...I just died.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, that was a real gift for his fangirls :P

        Delete
    4. OH MY, too much awesomeness here... and I'm not just talking about my link, ahah. THANK YOU for linking my Five for the Fifth :D

      "I'm RIGHT HERE GEORGE!!!" Ahah, well I think you are too good for him, Margaret :D Btw, Richard is single too, can't even believe it! I LOVE that part when he asked about the Cumberbitches!! I rewound that interview a few times. I wonder if he's jealous or what, ahah. Funny that he suggested the Armitage Army wore a military uniform!

      I saw Benedict reading the ridiculous lyrics from R. Kelly, somehow he managed to class up even THAT!! :D

      LOVE the puppy pics too, but where is Gustav? Happy weekend girl!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! :)

        Nah, I don't think I'm too good for him :)

        He is so shocked and jealous at the same time, adorable!

        They once had Neeson read Justin Bieber lyrics on one of the talk shows, he classed it up too :)

        Gustav is currently resting after diving into the snow during his walk :)

        Delete
    5. Thanks for the link! I hear you about winter storms. I think my neighbors took pity on me for how long it took me to shovel my driveway a few days ago, because today they used their snow blower and did it for me. Benedict Cumberbatch is such an interesting being to me. I wouldn't go as far as to call him "sexy" but he's just bloody interesting to me. And those gifs are hilarious!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Haha, I'm so glad I don't live in a house with my own driveway, I would never feel like shoveling snow :)

        I wouldn't call him handsome but yeah he is definitely interesting!

        Delete
    6. I'm a Cumberbitch... that dude is awesome.

      OK, you saw Catching Fire, what did you think of Jena aka THE BEST IN THE WORLD?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, she was great! Really wonderful character and she was so well cast.

        Delete
    7. I love the craziness of the NBR and NYFCC wins. It'd be great to have an awards season that doesn't see one film/performance win everything.

      I need to rewatch Love Actually as well. A Fish Called Wanda usually makes me laugh until I can't breathe, especially the scene in which Otto interrogates Ken and eats his fish.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think it's pretty much decided in acting categories, but I hope Chiwetel and Lupita won't win. I just don't think they deserve it. I have yet to see Blanchett, Leto and McConaughey.

        Oh my God that scene was insane!

        Delete
    8. CUMBERBITCHES!!!!!!!!! Aww Armitage. And aww Clooney, we all love you.
      I can see Gravity not winning cinematography. Unfortunately for the film and Lubezki, I think the Academy members are finally starting to see the difference between proper cinematography and those done with effects. I wish this could have been interchanged with the year Life of Pi got the Oscar, but yeah. If not Gravity, I hope Spring Breakers gets it.

      Waiting eagerly for your making a case post.

      And Capaldi's Christmas post could not be more apt. He's going to become the Doctor after Matt Smith's Doctor dies on Christmas. As excited as I am for Capaldi, I am going to be a weeping wreck.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lubezki deserves that win. While there are a lot of visual effects, the way that film was shot was art. Life of Pi didn't really have any breathtaking cinematography maneuvers, except for storm sequence, Gravity is a continuous hellish exercise for cinematographer. Apples and oranges these two movies.

        I may actually be tempted to see that show once Capaldi is in :)

        Delete
    9. Love it. Now I think I need a 10 things to love about Cumberbatch. Oh and thanks for the shout out!

      ReplyDelete
    10. can't really be bothered with Christmas but watching Love Actually and Bridget Jones is going to by my pass time turning the day I'm not working: Yep, I decided to work during Christmas... double pay, double the fun. So you can imagine how anti-Christmas I am.

      Also, Christmas seems like the time to catch up with AHS because I'm way way behind now.. including The Walking Dead and almost everything else.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, I love Christmas! I wish I could stay inside because it's so cold outside. I love looking at snow, trying to move around in it - not so much.

        I haven't seen TWD since season 1 :)

        Delete
    11. Great post Sati, thanks for the linkage. That Lana Del Rey short film looks interesting and those Cumberbatch gifs had me in stitches.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Tropico is pretty awesome.

        Delete
    12. I had to cycle back home in that European storm you mention, good thing I didn't fall off my bike! Hunger Games was an alright sequel, it didn't linger in my mind for long though. For me, critics go overboard, when they compare Catching Fire to Empire Strikes Back...
      I really should FINALLY watch Love Actually, hopefully this Dec. RIP N Mandela and P Walker.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh my God! I could barely walk it was so windy, I would definitely fell of the bike :)

        They compare these two? Wow, that's a bit much.

        Love Actually is such a fun film and it's perfect watch for December, I hope you'll like it!

        Delete
    13. That W shoot proves that NOTHING can make Clooney unmanly.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Thanks for the link! Dig the Christmas background, BTW :)

      The Wolf on Wall Street keeps sounding crazier and crazier. I can't wait to check it out.

      That Drive cover is amazing, even though I have no idea what's going on there.

      Black Death and A Fish Called Wanda have been in my Netflix queue for ages.. I really should give them a watch soon. Glad to hear you dug both so much.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Thanks! :)

        A Fish Called Wanda is hilarious, you should definitely check it out!

        Delete
    15. Loving the new sidebar, looks awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Lance Reddick casting news got me so excited! I can completely see him in this season of AHS. Very exciting!

      That set of photos of the seeing eye puppy just broke me - CUTE!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He is going to be great! I really hope the show will pick up the pace in final episodes.

        I love adorable dogs pics :)

        Delete
    17. ahahaha, love the picture of that dog! Amazing :) And I love that Drive poster, too!

      Hope the weather hasn't been too bad your neck of the woods, we got some pretty bad flooding here. Keep Gustav wrapped up good and proper!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Gustav has better coats than I do :) Plus he loves the snow and rain :)

        Delete
    18. How did I not thank you for the link? What an asshole.

      (this applies to any other of your Friday posts that I was a total doucher on, as well)

      I almost forgot: Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, that's all right, me finding out you have some people actually visiting because of those posts is enough - the whole purpose of RF is spreading the word about awesome blogs and posts out there.

        Well, in addition to my fangirl outbursts :)

        Delete