Friday, December 27, 2013

(111) Ooh, don't open that door + links

By Sati. Friday, December 27, 2013
  • My tumblr lately is like Tom Hiddleston exploded all over it. I also saw Avengers twice this month.
  • During the whole "I'm Loki of Asgard and I am burdened with glorious purpose" part I'm holding my chair cause I'm legit afraid I'm gonna fall over and die.
  • I'm also convinced if someone just hugged Loki all would be well.
  • Is he seriously not going to be in Avengers 2? He needs to be. I mean...come on....*incoherent fangirl noises*
  • Moving on for a second - I read Transcendence script this week.
  • It's pretty good. Most of the technical stuff, while far-fetched, is not that crazy, but then again I don't know that much about science. There is a pretty neat twist near the end but the very ending is quite cheap, it's very much like Inception with the whole let's make the ending unnecessarily ambiguous bullshit. My reaction to this ending was exactly like Gos's reaction to the lame wallet in Crazy Stupid Love.
  • Depp is not really going to shine, also I'm not sure he is right for this part. Rebecca Hall and Paul Bettany have some awesome parts to play, though. That said the film will be very much like Inception, so I'm sure it won't wow me, though I'm hoping the visual effects will be cool. So far I'm not impressed with what we saw in the trailer.
  • I'm desperately looking for Crimson Peak script - it seems Hiddles plays Mia Wasikowska's husband who gets to have kinky sex with the ghost of Jessica Chastain's character. God bless us everyone. Del Toro will direct this and after reading that this is what the film is going to feature I don't even care if it's going to be as atrocious as Mama. Although I'm not sure if it's even possible (m.brown will back me up on this)
  •  I have not seen a single episode of Doctor Who in my life (no, I don't live in a cave, I just watch so many shows it borders on madness already) but given my love for Capaldi and The Thick of It I cannot stop laughing at those:
  • I saw few films this week. One was Saving Mr. Banks which was really boring and sentimental, but at least the performances were good. Emma Thompson really made you believe she was the person she was playing, but I don't think she should be getting any nominations. Colin Farrell was excellent and Paul Giamatti was close to stealing the show from everyone.
  • I also saw Home Alone, because, well, it's Christmas, and Fruitvale Station. I thought the latter was mediocre. It's like the whole story was stretched to give more impact to the last scenes. And that dog scene was grossly exploitative. Front runner for my shame on you award of the year. While watching Saving Mr. Banks later I was horrified when I saw that the family had a dog and they were running to catch the train. I was like Oh, fuck, the dog will fall under the train, won't he? I'm getting fucking anxiety issues because of scenes like the one from Fruitvale Station.
  • I also saw Captain Phillips, which was crazy intense. Tom Hanks was really brilliant in this one.
  • I'm making my annual list already, as you may recall there are tons of categories. Loki and Clooney in Gravity are sweeping most of my fangirl categories while Gravity wins most of the rest. I still have several films to see - it looks like the only thing that may possibly dethrone Gravity from number one spot for me is Her, but I doubt it's going to happen, considering how mind blowing Gravity was. I'm also looking forward to American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street, the latter I'll hopefully see next weekend.
  • My Christmas was pretty good, I got lots of cash so I'm temporarily not in poverty anymore. What sucked is that I had to do something with my hair, so they wouldn't be like they normally are - which is to say the only thing that's missing are twigs entangled in them - and I had like 12 pins in my hair to hold them in place. My mother made Gustav wear red Christmas ribbon. I'm not sure what's more adorable - the picture of him posing reluctantly or Tom getting distracted during interviews:
  •  *incoherent noises intensify*
  • Moving on...
  • Continuing the let's feature horrible posters tradition, here is ridiculous poster for Pompeii with Kit Harington and Emily Browing making out as fucking volcano erupts behind them (as good of a time as any, I guess) and actual Italian poster for 12 Years of Slave:

  • links:
    • Brittani reviews The Hunt
    • Anna shares her picks for Alphabet Movie Meme
    • KaramelKinema reviews About Time
    • Ruth shares 10 inspiring biopics
    • Katy reviews This is the End
    • Nikhat shares her updated 100 favorite films list
    • Courtney reviews American Hustle
    • m.brown wrote hilarious review of R.I.P.D
    • MettelRay looks back at the movies of 2013
    • Alex, Dan and Steven review The Wolf of Wall Street
    RELATED POSTS:

    34 comments:

    1. Look forward to your annual list!
      Cash rules as a present,I got some money also, I'm guessing it must be the most popular xmas gift in the world.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's also the best since you can buy whatever you want with it :)

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the link Margaret!
      Sweet Lord, is it time for Best of 2013 lists already? I still don't have a Best Actress category because nothing seems to be sweeping up my fangirl obsessions yet. Still have so many award worthy movies to see. *panic attack*
      So looking forward to Peter Capaldi as the next doctor. His eyebrows are going to be insane.
      Oh Mr. Hiddles - http://i42.tinypic.com/2cctsap.png

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        It is, I cannot believe that either! I'm having major issues with Supporting categories.

        Haha I love that pic!

        Delete
    3. Thank you for the linkage, Sati! Much appreciated!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for the link-love. If you like your comedies to be insane. You will definitely love The Wolf of Wall Street. Leo is now my pick for best actor.

      ReplyDelete
    5. That 12 Years A Slave poster is just offensive D:
      I actually found Saving Mr Banks to be quite enjoyable maybe because i'm impartial to Hanks XD But Emma Thompson performance was good, not nom worthy but good XD
      What! Ghost Sex in Crimson Peak?! I might've just died a little! I don't care if it's good or bad! Just give me new Hiddles performance now!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is, I seriously cannot believe they actually use it.

        Yeah from the rumors I heard there will be some kinky stuff with Tom :P And we have Only Lovers Left Alive to look forward to as well :P

        Delete
    6. Thanks for linking my Hunt review! Your blog is the first place I had ever heard of Mads Mikkelson. tear* Tumblr is always exploding with Tom Hiddleston, it's like being slapped in the face with "charming." Boring and sentimental is exactly how Saving Mr. Banks looks to me, I will be skipping that one. Pompeii, horrible poster or not, I'll probably still see it for Harington and Browning. Then I will make a million Jon Snow jokes on my blog, because I can't help myself.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Tom is everywhere on tumblr. He is so adorable you can literally gif each interview of his *fanning herself*

        Banks had some good performances, but yeah it was pretty mediocre. Harington will probably be hilarious in this, the film looks so bad.

        Delete
    7. I feel like Tom is a bit afraid of the wind and the way he touches himself in that gif is just.. my god, your fangirling is rubbing off on me and yet, I can't seem to reach the fangirl levels many bloggers/tumblr people reach, I'm just simply too Estonian to love things as much as others do.
      I'm looking forward for Her, it seems like a super painful story and I'm already a bit emotional thinking about a lonely man falling in love with an imaginary woman.. that's just.. sad.
      Also, I need to get back blogging now before my Master's just crushes me-... how did you do it? I remember you doing your school stuff and still managing to post every Friday and I'm here like thinking, I can't do this.. I can't finish...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He actually keeps touching himself during interviews, it's like Good God man, what are you doing to these poor girls watching that.

        Sad and relatable for me :D

        I don't know I'm constantly in way over my head. I either don't sleep or just don't go out if I have some pressing stuff to do.

        If it's something you are forcing yourself to do - don't do it. Blogging should be fun, for me it's always relaxing to write a post.

        Delete
      2. Blogging is the relaxing part.. it's the school stuff that doesn't seem to go my way but I've come too far to quit at this point.. I just have to do it and suck it up, and therefore I think I feel a bit guilty while blogging because I should be studying.

        Delete
      3. You can't study all the time, you'll drive yourself mad. Everyone needs a distraction, at least blogging is a creative one.

        If you're studying and feel overwhelmed - blog. If you're blogging and getting stressed - study.

        Delete
    8. Thanks for the link, Sati!

      Ooooh Hiddles! He's just so freakin' awesome, LOVE that scene in Thor 2, well any of them w/ Loki in it, ahah.

      As for Saving Mr Banks, totally agree w/ Paul Giamatti stealing scenes, LOVE all the scenes w/ him and Emma Thompson. And Captain Phillips was super intense indeed.

      Btw, Ted's got his review up for Wolf of Wall Street, I didn't feel like writing it but I thought Dujardin was certainly memorable, I'd have mentioned him if I were to write my review :D

      Oh geez, that Italian poster of 12 Years a Slave is a travesty, seriously WTF??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I think he may actually be from another dimension. It's insane how adorable he is.

        Giamatti was great, he gave that movie so much heart.

        I hope to find some time to check it out, I really hope to see the film soon.

        Another one features big pic of Fassbender instead of Pitt :P

        Delete
    9. Saving Mr. Banks was awful. Overly sentimental and treacly. Blah! No thank you.
      The dog scene in Fruitvale was so unnecessary.

      I've noticed a lot more Tom Hiddleston on my dashboard thanks to you hahaha. Crimson Peak looks awesome! Still hoping Charlie Hunnam drops out...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My tumblr is like serial killer's wall or something. Yeah it's like 3 talented actors and Charlie Hunnam so far :D

        Delete
    10. If Loki gets hugs, I volunteer! I am great at hugs! As for Doctor Who-- this is mandatory viewing. It's up there w/ Game of Thrones. It's an institution. There is one episode that will get you completely hooked on Doctor Who-- Season 3, Episode 10 (Blink). It's a stand alone episode so you don't have to watch any others. It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

      If your tumblr has lots of Hiddleston, I'll have to follow you there as well. I love me some Hiddles!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not sure, I think it's a bit too family oriented for my taste, it seems so...cutesy. I may give it a shot when Capaldi is on it, he is amazing.

        My tumblr is pretty much just him, GoT and cute puppies :)

        Delete
    11. Help... I think I'm turning into a Hiddleston fangirl. Too many cute gifs. Can't handle it! Also I can't wait to watch the mess of Pompeii at some point in time. The trailer was ridiculous.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Everyone should be Hiddles fangirl :D

        Delete
    12. Also is it just me or does that 12 Years a Slave poster look like it says the name "Danni Schiavo"? I can't think too much about those posters though, or my brain will explode.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha it really does :) I cannot believe someone actually greenlit that poster.

        Delete
    13. I wouldn't describe Doctor Who as cutesy, but it is PG-13 and more light-hearted than most shows and the Christmas episodes are somewhat family-oriented. However, Doctor Who can still get a bit dark. It really depends on who is playing the Doctor. Some doctors are darker than others. The show evolves around the actor who plays the Doctor. The thing that makes Doctor Who great is its creativity. There have been a few episodes of Doctor Who that have literally been the best television I have ever seen. Ever.

      As for the new Doctor Who (2005 to present)-- Christopher Eccleston was a man's man kind of Doctor, David Tennant was Emo/Scholarly, and the most recent doctor (before Capaldi), Matt Smith had a punkish flair. After reading your blog for a while, I think you would really enjoy it if you gave it a chance :) I say this as someone who also likes GoTs, AHS, and the Walking Dead,

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, I'm not sure. I mean I'll definitely see it for Capaldi but I have so little time as it is. Aside from comedy shows I think I gave up on every single PG 13 series I've seen.

        Delete
    14. I've never seen The Thick of It ... I'm beginning to think I ought to. I am a big fan of Doctor Who, and I am glad they brought an older doctor on board this time around. There have been a lot of jokes flying around the interwebs, since apparently Capaldi's character uses strong language on The Thick of It, and they keep the language family friendly in DW. I can just picture the heretofore PG-rated doctor tearing a hostile alien a new one ... "Get the fuck off this planet!" I love the gif you posted. I didn't see the Christmas special, and the expressions on Peter Capaldi's and Jenna Coleman's face are priceless. I can tell I am going to love Capaldi in that role.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's such a terrific show, it's honestly the funniest show I've seen in my life.

        Capaldi's language in The Thick of It is like the poetry of swearing. I think even people who hate swearing would admit that :) It's really an amazingly well written and clever show.

        Delete
    15. That goddamn 12 Years poster... sigh. Transcendence is going to rock, I can't wait. Thanks so much for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I hope Transcendence will be at the very least entertaining.

        Delete
    16. I haven't even watched the trailer for Transcendence. I'm dying to see it, but I'm trying to go in as blind as possible. :)

      Glad you liked Captain Phillips. I also thought Farrell and Giamatti were great in Saving Mr. Banks, though I don't think the film is Oscar-worthy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah Saving Mr. Banks was kinda mediocre, but at least the performances were good.

        Delete