Friday, January 3, 2014

(112) JLaw? No-No. British treasures? Yes, yes. + links

By Sati. Friday, January 3, 2014
  • Let the bitterness flow out next to this Cersei gif that fits the upcoming words so well.
  • I cannot stand Jennifer Lawrence anymore. She is a good actress, but she has reached new levels of overhyped this Oscar season. After seeing her performance in American Hustle, I'm almost hoping she wins Oscar two times in the row. Then the backlash will hit her in the ass.
  • Yes, it's not her fault she is overhyped. I'm just sick of this craze - comparing her in SLP and AH to Hanks in Philadelphia and Forest Gump is one of the most disgusting comparisons I've seen in my life. Hiddles and Benedict Cumberbatch fans are passionate too - but different kind of passionate. You don't see them calling for Oscars and comparing them to all time greats, though frankly they both kick her ass as Loki and Sherlock. Comparing one good performance and one uneven one to two legendary ones, one young chick from teenage franchise to Tom Hanks, is just...a huge no-no. Also - Hiddles and Ben are humble. She looks anything but humble to me.
  • Part of my allergy to her is her behavior towards X Men contract. Being in this franchise helped her career and now she wants out because 'she is missing the opportunity to be in better films'. Sweetheart, Fassbender and McAvoy are sucking it up and giving their best and they are 10x the actors you will ever be.
  • This whole thing is like the opposite of Catelyn Stark situation for me. She is the most underrated character ever and I'd physically fight anyone who dislikes her. And I'm in such minority on that.
  • Let's lighten the mood and laugh at Bradley Cooper:
  • Guardians of the Galaxy looks like shite and he is voicing little Rocket Raccoon. Ouch.
  •  Desolation of Smaug bored me as much as its predecessor did. Also - I was kinda wondering if the people responsible for the movie weren't trippin', several times during his film - the whole 'don't lose the path scene' and Gandalf fighting the shadow were like Fear and Loathing...in Middle-Earth. Smaug was cool and Evangeline Lily is lovely, but not even Richard Armitage and Lee Pace eyefucking each other can save some films.
  • Yet again gifs based on The Hobbit movies are better than the actual movies:
  • I also saw About Time, which was...odd. The script was contrived, repetitive and struggled to find its core between being a romance and son-father relationship story. On the other hand the cast was lovely -  it was so great seeing Lindsey Duncan (from Rome) and Bill Nighy is always wonderful. But Tom Hollander totally stole the show, like he usually does. Can someone just give him the title of being Great Britain's national treasure? Who can forget what this man did in In the Loop?
  •  I need to start working on convincing my best friend to go see Only Lovers Left Alive with me in a month. I'm 90% sure I'm gonna need CPR and someone to call the ambulance.
  • I misspoke - 99% sure.
  • I mean this movie is as if someone went into my brain and created the perfect film based on what they found there (although, I imagine it's still softcore comparing to what is there when I see the above gifs). Hiddles with half opened shirt and black messy hair. Tilda Swinton. Vampires. Nah - 100% sure, you guys.
  • Marvelous news, literally - Marvel announced the title of new One Shot, which is a short movie that expends Marvel universe - it's All hail the king. The news article says "we reckon the king of the title is probably going to be Tom Hiddleston". Marvel gods - give us this movie. Nobody wants to see Ben Kinglsey comparing to that.
  • 90 days till Game of Thrones, you guys. 90 days.

  • links:
    • Nika reviews terrific Rush
    • Ruth asks which 2013 movie(s) do you appreciate but wouldn’t watch again. I'm shocked by how many people said Gravity.
    • Josh shares his bitchin' awards ballot for the great cinematic year - 1995
    • Keith shares 5 phenomenal movie parties. Gotta love his number 1 pick
    • Anna reviews criminally underrated Stoker
    • Alex shares Top 31 Things I Love About The Departed (that no one talks about) - I promise you that you will learn something about this movie you didn't know before.
    • Elina, Sophie and Jack share their picks for Alphabet movie Meme
    • Brittani reviews The Wolf of Wall Street
    • Andina shares great list of 14 memorable movie moments in 2013
    • Anna and Chris share their picks for the best of 2013
    • And finally my favorite (as his posts usually are) - m.brown reviews We're the Millers
    RELATED POSTS:

    46 comments:

    1. I really hope J-Law doesn't win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress as I'm pulling for Amy Adams, Lupita N'yogo, and whoever is nominated though the person I really want to be nominated is THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!! Jena Malone for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire because she brought it and stole the film from everyone including J-Law.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Malone did kick her ass, she was awesome.

        Delete
    2. I'd honestly be really surprised if Lawrence won the Oscar, but hey, who the hell knows. I'm still rooting for Lupita Nyong'o in that category. Thanks so much for the link and the kind words :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope not. Then again her win just might end this bullshit around her.

        Delete
    3. While I do think that comparing Lawrence to Hanks at present is quite the stretch, I do think she's one of the best actresses of her generation. Also, she's crazy which is fun. And I feel as unfair as it is comparing her to Hanks, it's equally unfair to compare her to Hiddles and Cumberbatch. As for X-Men, I just want those films to lose some of the characters and since I am only really interested in the magnificent male mutants, I don't care if JLaw stays or not.

      Desolation of Smaug was such a disappointment. I do blame the HFR for half my issues of course. Makes me want to claw my eyes out. And that love triangle was so unnecessary. I was so bored.

      Can't wait for Only Lovers Left Alive!! And more Loki!!! Yaay Hiddles <#

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Best of her generation? No.

        Unfair to compare her to them? How so? They're the hottest stars now. She is contractually bound. This is the kind of elitist, whiny bullshit that ends people's careers - rightfully.

        Delete
    4. I think Lawrence did a great job, don't know if she deserves an Oscar for her role in American Hustle though. Still have not seen The Hobbit, but will check it out this weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The Hobbit has some good things in it, but it was mostly quite dull.

        Delete
    5. OMFG Sati I love this post more than anything I've ever read on any blog ever! You'll probably get a lot of hate for this post, but I couldn't agree with you more! She's given 'great' performances, but that doesn't mean she deserves comparisons to Glenn Close and Meryl Streep (which I've heard a fan do before). Once again, I have to say I admire you greatly! haha

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! :) Fuck the hate I mean if I have to deal with all the 'JLaw is the best' posts, I get to have my say too.

        I really hope her career slows down. So much praise for a young girl so early can't end well.

        Delete
    6. 90 days?! Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

      As for Jennifer Lawrence, I'm a big fan and not just because her face pleases me greatly. I didn't realise about the X-Men thing though, that's a proper douchebag move. Other than that, I really like the stuff she's been in, don't think I've seen her put in a bad performance so far. Comparing her to others though is a bit daft and it annoys me when people do that about anyone, as if a person's talent can only be measured by how they're compared to their peers.

      Oh and thank you for the link, much appreciated!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I spend my whole life waiting :)

        I don't think I've ever seen a bad performance from her, but she is not a legendary actress material for me.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    7. As a Lawrence fan, this didn't offend me.. I don't know, I wrote my resolution to be more passionate about things but I can't defent people in a manner some fans do. I just, like Lawrence because I haven't really liked any new Hollywood fresh young actresses in the past and she seems crazy enough for me to love. I don't follow her though.. I don't really have time to keep up with interviews and stuff, a shame really, so learning that she is compared to Hanks and so on is just weird to me as well. Still a fan though.. because I feel like the other choice would be Stewart and no no no. Woodley is gonna be 2014's young actress though, she has a lot of movies lined up that will hit her fame right up there next to Lawrence.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Why would this offend you anyways? I'm talking about people taking their love for her much too far, way beyond the realm of any credibility.

        I find Stewart to be very honest and real, not some product made in PR machine laboratory.

        I'm not sure, this Divergent thing seems like it's destined to fail.

        Delete
      2. Well a lot of fans seem to be offended when their object of affection is being criticized or something, I can't seem to find that passion.

        I don't know, I think she is moody and cold..

        Well, I was thinking about The Fault in Our Stars but yes, Divergent is also coming up and I'm actually excited. I read the first two books and they had some great sutff, there's no love triangle which is extremely surprising for a YA novel but then again, I'm a fan of distopian stuff, so, I'm hoping it won't fail. The dude is such a bad casting movie though. *sighs*

        Delete
      3. That's how normal people usually are, Lawrence is coming off as being on sugar high all the time - that's not real:)

        Ah yeas, I heard something about The Fault in Our Stars I'm not big on all those young adult books so I usually just find out about them once they make a movie based on that.

        Delete
    8. Ha! I love that Cersei gif. She's just had enough of this Jennifer Lawrence shite. P.S. I nominated you for an award on my blog. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I did that Versatile blogger thing once :)

        Delete
    9. Off to see Desolation tonight. My hopes aren't high. The first one didn't do much for me and I have a feeling the sense of apathy will continue.

      Also, I don't get the Jennifer Lawrence bandwagon. Sure, she had a good performance in Winter's Bone, but aside from that, I've never been blown away by her. *shrug* Takes a lot for an actress to impress me though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, it's a lot like the first one - the story is ridiculously stretched out.

        She just seems like she is cast in roles she really doesn't feel natural in.

        Delete
    10. I like Jennifer Lawrence, but the amount of attention she gets is ridiculous! Her fanbase annoys the hell out of me haha. Have you seen The Spectacular Now? What did you think of Shailene Woodley's performance?

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's insane, really. It's one thing to be tumblr famous but when that spreads on actual award ceremonies and awards that should be given for the quality of performances, not person's status, it's truly worrying.

        I didn't, I heard it's an annoying movie. As for Woodley I think I only saw her in Descendants - I disliked the movie but she was good in it.

        Delete
    11. THANKS for the link, yeah surprised by the Gravity answer too.

      I like Jen Lawrence though fortunately I don't pay attention to any news about her. Some fans do go too far! Heh, if it were true what she said about X-Men that is LUDICROUS! I mean, Sir Patrick Stewart (and McAvoy & Fassbender who are GREAT actors) is thankful to do that franchise!

      In any case that Loki One Shot news is MARVELOUS indeed. Finally!! What I want is a full feature film of LOKI though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Honestly, the more I read about her and the more I read the stuff her fanboys write the less I like her. She seems unbelievably fake to me.

        Oh yes. I mean they should just do it - all the fangirls would guarantee the film is a hit :)

        Delete
    12. Ok, I thought I was alone in on the anti-Lawrence train? So glad you agree. I don't have anything against her personally. She seems rather nice, but she is not the best actor. I feel like she has a very wooden delivery--IN EVERY FILM. I can't believe she won an Oscar. I like the Hunger Games franchise, but she was so miscast it's not even funny. I like the character of Katniss, but not a fan of Lawrence. Not in the slightest.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope there is more of us :) Last year was pretty weak for actress category - she is even my number 2 behind Rapace in Prometheus. I read a bit of description of Katniss and Lawrence doesn't fit her at all. She is good in the films, but again - so overrated by most.

        Delete
    13. I FUCKING HATE YOU! HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT JENNIFER LAWRENCE!

      Just kidding. I thought we needed a little more dissent on here (even if it's utter bullshit). I think the whole thing is we've got a talented young female actress with big breasts. Seriously. People can't handle that. It's like talent + mass sex appeal = everyone losing their shit. If I actually heard anyone say she's in the same league as Tom Hanks or Meryl Streep I would immediately rip out their voicebox, Road House-style. Let the girl have a full career, then we can talk.

      Oh, thanks for the link. You're either really kind or drunk (or both) when you link to my shitshow. I always, always, alwaaaaaaays appreciate it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, oh man you should have seen some of her fanbots on movie boards. They are seriously unhinged. They think she is as good as Jessica Lange. They think there are conspiracy theories whenever something remotely negative is written about her.

        It's madness. She has been in serious movie talk for what? 3 years now? It's way too early for any comparisons and talk about 'legendary' status.

        I'm sometimes kind, more often drunk, but I do love your blog even in awful mood and whilst sober :)

        Delete
      2. Yes, some of the JLaw fans are just as bad ad the "Breaking Bad" fans. It's like chill people. Not everyone will like everything you do!

        Delete
      3. Oh, they are worse than BrBa fans. I mean I like lots of shows and people too but if I gave a flying fuck about posters on the Internet who dislike GoT and spent every waking moment tracking them down to leave them lame responses, I'd have myself committed.

        Delete
    14. Thanks for the link, Sati! I didn't know that J-Law is like that now. I guess it's hard to stay humble after all of the fame and award. Loved About Time!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! It was a very charming movie!

        Delete
    15. Thanks a billion for the link! ALWAYS appreciated! Interesting take on Jennifer Lawrence. But ya know, critics and the awards folks have always had their darlings. I think she is a really good actress but it's clear that she is adored by the right people!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! It's also clear to me she is adored by psychotic, unhinged fanbots, at least from what I've seen on movie forums :)

        Delete
    16. 89 days till GoT. That time went by rather fast.I guess time passing very quickly has a positive side! :)
      Thanks for the article and the gifs!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really hope we'll get a trailer soon!

        Delete
    17. Thanks so much for the link! :)

      Haha, Hollander was hilarious in About Time. Love that gif. Classic scene from In the Loop.

      Sorry you were bored by Desolation of Smaug. I actually wanted it to keep going at the end. :/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Hollander should be in more comedies, the guy is so funny!

        Yeah, I just can't seem to care about those films the way I did about LotR.

        Delete
    18. I like Jlaw but I thought Chastain deserved the Oscar.

      love that American hustle hero poster. Guardians of the galaxy poster doesn't look good but it's not the final look of the characters from what I've read. I wonder what Bradley cooper will sound like as a little raccoon hehe.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I like Chastain more in general but I was very disappointed in what she did in ZD30.

        Cooper is probably going to be hilarious in this :)

        Delete
    19. Hah, that Bachelor image is great. Love the Hobbit GIF, too.

      90 days?? So close!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, so close! :) I really cannot wait for trailers, that will give me at least a bit of GoT for now :)

        Delete
    20. Thanks Sati for the link. :))

      I love Lawrence, but I don't think she's gonna win this time, though I pretty much enjoyed her performance in American Hustle. Lupita, who is quite great in 12 years, has the best chances, since she's new. But honestly, I am for Julia Roberts, maybe just because I am her huge fan.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I hope you're right, that would devaluate the Oscars even more. I have yet to see August:Osage County but it looks fun.

        Delete
      2. I have not seen it either, but I have big hopes for it, despite that this award season is pretty quiet about AOC.

        Delete
      3. I saw AOC yesterday and Roberts was really good in it!

        Delete