Friday, February 7, 2014

(117) Bitter Sweet Symphony + links

By Sati. Friday, February 7, 2014
  • It wasn't a good week for movie fans. In fact, it was fucking horrible.
  • I am, as I'm sure every true movie fan out there, absolutely devastated by the loss of the wonderful Philip Seymour Hoffman, an actor who at the age of 46 was already one of the all time greats. He was in so many of my favorite films including Moneyball and The Big Lebowski (both in my top 15 of all time) and he gave us dozens of brilliant, unforgettable and mesmerizing performances. It's such a horrible loss.
  • It makes me sick when people say that someone does this to themselves when death is drug related. How can people still be so ignorant? You almost never know the reasons that led people to drinking or drugs - and those more often than not lead to addiction, which is a disease. So what gives you the right to judge? We are all weak. Get off  your high horses and realize one thing - you are a moron if you think someone addicted has any choice. Exhibit A - Jared Padelecki:
  • I don't usually respond to celebrities but...
  • Before that this whole Dylan Farrow letter happened.
  • Have you guys seen social media when that showed up? Like the village from The Hunt, if not worse.  People read the letter, just assumed it was true and started wishing death on Woody Allen. Death. Whether or not it's true (and I encourage you to actually read something beyond that latter) this mentality is disgusting. 
  • Show me a court verdict, show me the evidence. And you should see some too before talking about acid, going to his house with torches, planning to kill him. There is a reason there are judges in this society - because ordinary people need just one letter to be ready to crucify a man. 
  • I mean some people out there actually, actually believe 'innocent until proven guilty' is something just for lawyers and judges to obey. It's horrific to see how fucking dense people are. If society doesn't obey that rule, what's the point?
  • Obviously Lena Dunham weighed in. She is seriously the celebrity I despise the most. Look at the comments under this news story - more sheep.
  • There's been a lot of talk about Cate Blanchett's behavior this Oscar season but this is the first truly tacky thing she did. Valuing your Oscar chances above the director you worked with, who directed your performance and hiding your head in the sand?
  • Let's ventilate that musty smell of awful and tragic and move on to pleasant things.
  • I'm not gonna be subtle here, making transition to fun stuff, because when am I ever subtle?
  •  I'm not a big fan of the film itself, but those scenes? *bites lip* I rewatched that this week and I was drinking chocolate milk while doing so. No, I didn't feel pervy.
  • ...
  • OK, I did a little bit.
  • Have you guys seen Matt on Graham Norton show? Oh my God, the thong story!
  • He was also on Leno again. He's everywhere! Congratulations on making glasses wicked sexy.
  • What the fuck with HBO not airing True Detective because it's Superbowl night? I'm hooked now, how dare you? This is all because 2 years ago you all spent time with your families instead of watching Blackwater. Never forget, never forgive.
  • Regardless, we need these two here:
  • Please use it as Woody Harrelson's Emmy clip.
  • Look at Khaleesi in another photoshoot. Damn. She is so pretty in blonde wig but this is just incredible:
  • Filth was fun and shocking, but I was prepared for the latter once the opening credits informed me it's based on Irvine Welsh's novel. McAvoy was crazy good. Wicked soundtrack too.
  • Nebraska bored me so much. I looked up who directed it, what a surprise - Alexander Payne. I hated The Descendants so much. It was so boring, in spite of Clooney being in it and me drinking during watching it. Nebraska was marginally less boring. June Squibb was fantastic.
  • Let's just hope the big finale of Clooney getting back at Tina and Amy will be during the Oscars so we can all see it.
  • Some casting news - Michael Pitt was cast as Mason Verger in season 2 of Hannibal. Don't worry fangirls, he is gonna stay pretty for a while but be prepared for hacking off of his face in the future. Remember Gary Oldman in Hannibal? Yeah.
  • I was so crazy busy this week I didn't even have a chance to see Coriolanus with Tom Hiddleston. His birthday is on Sunday - there's no way I'm gonna finish the post the way I wanted and make it as awesome as I intended to, but hopefully it will still turn out fun.
  • This week's battle of who is more adorable:
  • m.brown answers the questions for Life, Love and Movies blogathon
  • Josh and Brittani share their awesome picks for Recast-athon
  • Fisti and Kathy trash Prisoners, to my delight
  • Joseph reviews Dallas Buyers Club
  • Mariah looks behind the scenes of season 4 of Game of Thrones
  • Pete and Jack review Only Lovers Left Alive
  • Kathy wrote an awesome post celebrating sexy and talented Matthew McConaughey
  • RELATED POSTS:

    38 comments:

    1. That's the way the do it Margaret. You just owned Dean Forrester. Besides, no wonder Rory Gilmore left him for Jess Mariano and Logan Huntzberger. OK, maybe you didn't get those Gilmore Girls references.

      Emilia Clarke is so beautiful... I love that pic of her talking to the dragon.

      That is one cute cat.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Okay you're officially my new favourite person ever because of the Gilmore Girl reference. DEAN SUCKS BALLS!!!!!

        I'm done :)

        Delete
      2. Never seen Gilmore Girls :P I know, I know, I'm a freak.

        Padalecki is an asshole, though.

        Delete
    2. I'm at the point where I wish The Farrows and the Allens would just take care of their family drama outside of the public eye. I don't think it's healthy for people to be calling Dylan a liar, nor do I think it's healthy for people to be wishing death on Woody Allen. It's just all so ridiculous.

      I love your tweet to that Supernatural guy. That's probably the most he's ever been in the news. Thank you for the link! It's taken me like 10 minutes to write this comment because I keep listening to the True Detective theme on your blog over and over. lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Unfortunately Mia Farrow, attention whore that she is, won't shut up. I keep waiting for her to write something herself other than her shameless tweets.

        It's such a bitchin' track. The whole music selection for the show is wonderful.

        Delete
    3. Awesome collection as always Sati. I'm glad you hate Dumbc**t too, Girls is trash. Also, when I first heard that Michael Pitt news, you were the first one I thought about lol.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I was wondering who they will get to play Verger, really cool choice. Season 2 is shaping up to be awesome.

        Delete
    4. Thanks for the link!!! Hope you enjoy Only Lovers Left Alive as much as I did! I don't know who that Padalecki guy is but thanks for let getting him get away with that tweet. What a utter, utter dick!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        He's a 'star' of a tv series Supernatural that overstayed its welcome about 4 years ago and still keeps running.

        Delete
    5. There was a lot of negativity in the Intersphere last week, I tried to keep myself from it.
      That being said, True Detective is awesome and I love it.. can't wait to see the next episode!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I can't wait either, it's such an addictive show!

        Delete
    6. Ugh, someone at work said this when we were talking about PSH's death, "Yeah, I just saw a picture of him and new it would be drugs, he asked for it." WTF. How can you even say something like that. I called him out as judgemental. Don't think he liked that. But seriously?!

      Can not believe Jared Padalecki said that. What the hell, dude?

      That was probably one of my favourite scenes in True Detective. BRILLIANT.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. People are dicks. Padelcki is probably gonna turn to drugs once his career inevitably goes down the crapper. Karma.

        Delete
    7. Wow...what's this hate towards Alexander Payne. Love the man's movies...he has done no wrong in the last decade for me. Sideways is now one of my all time favorite films but I also love About Schmidt, Descendants and Election.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's not 'hate', I simply find his movies boring.

        Delete
    8. O
      M
      G

      I finally made you link list!!!!!!!!!!!!

      LOL, I sound as vain as an awards hungry starlet, but I am really honored to have made it. Thanks for the link, and once again you've compiled a pretty awesome post here (these are my favorite, honest).

      I'm with you (as you know) on the anti-Hoffman drug bashing. It is so tasteless. And I'm also with you on the Woody Allen front. This "she said it so it is true" mentality is really hard, because Farrow herself seems so 'in the middle of it' that I do question it. A friend recently commented on this and stated that there really is no winner here, regardless of whether the allegations are true or false. He stated that if they are true, then Allen is disgusting and it will forever stain the films we all love and hold dear, especially since so many of them feel like a direct representation of who HE is...and of course that means that Dylan's childhood was forever destroyed, and that is the saddest truth of all. If the allegations are false then Allen will forever have the stigma over his head and many will still treat him like a leper, and Dylan will forever be oppressed by something that she clearly thinks is true, haunted by demons her mother put there for her own personal gain.

      It's just sad all the way around.

      The fact that no one will ever know the truth (because he'll always deny and she'll always insist) makes this all the more difficult to take.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome, loved your review!

        The consolation is that Mia Farrow, a person who has many sins on her conscience perhaps even brainwashing her child is the loser here. She is forever bitter while Allen was able to move on and have happy family of his own.

        Delete
    9. Sati-- Another wonderful post. Like you I was shocked by Jared's tweet. Had I not seen it on your twitter I would not have known about it. I was very disappointed by this attitude. My husband and I are big 'Supernatural' fans so we couldn't help but think about it and discuss it. Admittedly, we look at him a little differently now. A serious lack of sympathy for children who just lost their father did not sit well with us.

      I personally have also been flamed on Facebook (which I'm starting to hate) about empathizing with people with addiction. I don't understand why people think it's ok to say those kind of things. I really don't. I will never forget when I posted something about Amy Winehouse's passing (Winehouse was one of my fav singers at the time), one of my friends went on my Facebook page and said he had "Zero sympathy for someone like that, blah blah, they do it to themselves, they're losers, and they don't deserve anything... blah, blah." I told him that he should probably keep opinions like that to himself, so he actually ended up blocking me for a while. Imagine that he blocked me b/c I thought his statement was disgusting.

      If 'Nebraska' is anything like 'The Descendants' then it's off my list. I hated that movie too. Love George, but that movie was so tedious and pointless.

      Lastly, where can I watch Coriolanus? I would love to see Tom's play. I'm not sure if it's online somewhere? Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. His tweet was so awful. And he didn't even apologize for it. Who the hell does he think he is? I'm usually amused when those starlets have the nerve to criticize legitimate great actors.

        Honestly such people are lacking basic human decency. And understanding. They have no idea what started the addiction and how easily it is to be addicted. I'm also fairly certain every person in this world is addicted to something.

        It's very much like it. It's actually even more pointless story.

        I'll put it this way - if Tom is in something, his fangirls will find a way to put it online.

        Delete
    10. Great article. I agree the backlash against Allen was surprising, and your comparing it to the Hunt was very accurate. I do feel really bad for Dylan, and I dont doubt she claims this did happened. its just the timing of her confession seems a bit fishy. I'm also tired of people saying that it was Phillip Seyour Hoffman's choice to die. I loved your twitter response

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not very surprised about the backlash. People reach conclusions in such a risky, uneducated and embarrassing way nowadays, it was bound to happen.

        I think she is lying but she is not aware of the fact she is. This whole Farrow family is disturbed beyond comprehension.

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the links Margaret! <3
      So many tears are shed for missing Coriolanus. That shirtless gif set of him on tumblr. I can't function for the rest of the day.
      Where does your hate for Lena rank with your hate for Jennifer? I can't imagine that they are tied!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I'm gonna see it some time next week, I'll definitely mentally check out during that shower scene.

        Oh, Dunham is worse. She is despicable, Lawrence is dumb, tacky and annoying, but Dunham is so much worse.

        Delete
    12. Lol you weren't kidding when you talked about tonal shift :')

      I really loved Nebraska. Found it very human.

      Super duper psyched for Michael Pitt. I hope there are plenty of scenes with him and Mikkelsen. I don't know what I find more attractive- Pitt's mouth or Mikkelsen's cheekbones.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think Verger is Hannibal's patient so these two will definitely have a bunch of scenes together :)

        Delete
    13. Bummer. Sorry to hear you didn't like "Nebraska". I absolutely loved it. I thought "The Descendents" was vastly overrated. I didn't hate it but it wasn't great. I think that's why "Nebraska" surprised me so much. I can see where it wouldn't work for some. I found it to be treat.

      As for Padalecki, I can see what he is saying to a point. It is a "senseless" death in that it found its genesis in Hoffman's personal choices. Whenever you begin experimenting with drugs you open yourself up to addiction. Where Padalecki sounds like a douche is when he says "Stupid". To me that is a disrespectful statement about a guy who was clearly in bondage to addiction. Understanding addiction helps one see that Hoffman's actions weren't simply out of stupidity. He was an addict with who knows what other emotional struggles. Those things should be considered before saying something like "Stupid".

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Agreed on every point, Keith!

        Delete
      2. I don't know, it was just boring. It wasn't an awful movie, just not my cup of tea.

        Padalecki is a douchebag and he really has no business criticizing anyone, this is probably the most that he was talked about since his silly show started.

        Delete
    14. Still very sad about Philip Seymour Hoffman, I saw one of his films last nite and was almost tearing up everytime I saw him.

      The whole ordeal about Woody Allen is just sad, I don't even want to read about it and wish the whole thing would just go away. Of course that hardly ever happens so I just choose to tune it out.

      On a more pleasant topic... Hiddles! It's lovely to see how far he's come, and he so deserve it too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think it will go away, can't imagine they can even take it to court because of concluded investigation and court verdict.

        I hope Tom will have a long and great career.

        Delete
    15. I love your response to Jared Padelecki's tweet. Seriously, the balls of that guy. Fuck him. What a sad week it has been since PSH's passing. (sigh)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really hope his career tanks. He has absolutely no talent and apparently no human decency either.

        Delete
    16. Nice twitter response that asshole Sati. I liked that :)

      Glad to hear you enjoyed McAvoy in filth too. I thought he was one of the best performances of the year but sadly, overlooked.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not surprised Academy members wouldn't survive watching this movie :P

        Delete
    17. Killing mofos on twitter. Good shit, that.

      You know, I almost saw Nebraska, well, I thought about seeing it, if that counts, maybe it's a good thing I missed it. Though, I f--king loved The Descendants (apparently I'm the only one?), but I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm an asshole. But Clooney + Hawai'i = Brilliant. At least it did the last time I checked my math.

      I don't even know what Filth is, but if it's got McAvoy, consider me sold

      Thanks for the link as always. Nothing like participating in a blogathon after the fact, but I'm still glad I did. (Kind of like commenting here days later, ya know?)

      And this week...I'm going kittens.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think if you liked TD you would like Nebraska, they are very similar, down to the same melody being played throughout the whole film and annoying the shit out of me.

        Filth is like British version of the most perverted stuff in The Wolf of Wall Street.

        You're very welcome! That is one adorable kitten for sure :P

        Delete
    18. Thanks again for the link!

      Your response to Jared Padelecki is brilliant. The nerve of some people. And the Woody Allen situation is even worse. I hate it when people are quick to judge when ignorant of all the facts.

      Glad to see more praise for McAvoy in Filth. Really looking forward to that one.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Filth is crazy but McAvoy's work is so good I think everyone appreciates his performance.

        Delete