Sunday, March 16, 2014

15 things to look forward to in Game of Thrones 4

By s. Sunday, March 16, 2014 , , ,
You may remember this post I made a while back, about 15 of my most anticipated moments in the entire series - out of those at least 5 will happen this season. You may also remember last year's list of the most awesome things to look forward to in season 3. Out of those only 1 didn't happen but let's hope it will happen this year.

With 21 days left, take a look at what we can expect from season 4:

(no major spoilers)

15. Bigger dragons

Daenerys' dragons are starting to transform from their mother's fierce protectors to actual dragons - hungry, angry beasts. Daenerys is going to realize that she can't control them - and they are just one of the things that she loses the power over this season. In addition they continue to grow, especially Drogon who is officially scary now.


14. Increased budget

With the show becoming the most popular series in HBO's history, the showrunners got more money this season and it already shows in trailers - the impressive Purple Wedding ceremony, the pyramids of Meereen and Titan of Braavos are just some of the amazing wonders we will see this season.


13. Jaime continues his transformation

Last season we saw the beginning of amazing redemption arc for Jaime - after he reaches King's Landing he continues to be one of the good guys, alienating his sister and his father and trying to become the man he was supposed to be. He also has special plans for Brienne...


12. Arya finds the Needle

This season will bring some amazing moments for Arya, including the incredible scene in the crossroad's inn, the same inn her mother took Tyrion once. She also continues to bond a little more with The Hound.



11.  Sansa learns how to play the game of thrones

Sansa finally flies from her cage and has a brilliant, though very creepy, teacher this season. Sansa begins to see how the game is played and in the process she does have several great moments, especially the snow castle scene.


10. Tyrion and Jaime are reunited

According to my calculations and crappy memory, Tyrion and Jaime only shared two scenes so far - the scene in the whorehouse and the breakfast at Winterfell. In the book Jaime only visits Tyrion's cell near the end of the novel, but the show is making a smart decision of including Jaime in Tyrion's story much sooner. Waldau and Dinklage really did an amazing job at establishing just how much the Lannister brothers care for each other and Tyrion's heartbreaking story about Jaime and him meeting his wife Tysha will come into play in major way this season.


9. The siege of Meereen and the Battle of the Wall

We don't have just one big event this season - the whole season 4 is one big event chasing another. In addition to Daenerys' laying siege to Meereen, we are getting the big Battle of Castle Black with the wildings attacking the Wall. The battle, directed by Neil Marshall who also directed Blackwater, will happen in episode 9.


8. Oberyn Martell

Last season we met Olenna Tyrell, perhaps the most dangerous out of Tyrells. This season we are finally meeting the member of House Dorne - prince Oberyn, also known as the Red Viper. Oberyn is the sexiest character in the series - it's clear from the previews alone that while Tyrion can't visit the brothel this season, Oberyn and his lover Ellaria Sand (played by Indira Varma from Rome) will be there a lot. Oberyn is featured in some of the most exciting scenes this season and his quick wit and charisma will make them even more entertaining.


7. Cersei's joy turns to ashes

So far everything was going relatively well for Cersei - Ned Stark didn't take the throne from her as a regent, Blackwater battle was won, Robb Stark was killed. But this season things will start going the other way for her - she will begin to lose everything she holds dear and start to lose her sanity in the process.


6. The Trial of Tyrion Lannister

I can't say why Tyrion is arrested but the whole trial is filled with many amazing scenes. In addition Tyrion gets visitors in his cell which will no doubt make for some memorable lines and moments.


5. Littlefinger is the master of the Game

There are several big twists and turns in the second part of Storm of Sword. One of many is that we become aware of just how many events in the novels had Littlefinger's scheming behind them. His last scene this upcoming season is one of the most devious, shocking and memorable things in the series.


4. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children.

Prince Oberyn's true purpose in coming to King's Landing is vengeance for the death of his sister Ellia at the hands of the Mountain during the sack of King's Landing, led by Tywin Lannister. The trial by combat scene is extremely intense on paper and from the quick glimpses it looks like it will be even more intense on screen.


3.  The Purple Wedding

The royal wedding episode is the episode 2 this season, scripted by Martin himself (and including the cameo from him). The scale of the event is quite astonishing and the wedding itself will take half of the episode. Charles Dance compared the making of the scenes of this one to the making of the short movie. Considering what happens during the wedding and the number of great moments for Tyrion and Cersei, this one will become one of your favorite scenes in the show.


2. Tyrion's last chapter in A Storm of Swords

This is my single favorite chapter in all the books in the series. It's Tyrion's breaking point and I just can't wait to see Dinklage play that scene of not one or two but three major confrontations.

1. The last scene of the season
(x)
I kept hoping we will get to see the glimpse of the character last season but hopefully the long wait and even more hopefully relative lack of spoilers regarding the event will make the last scene of the season almost as chilling as it was in the books for everyone. Reading that epilogue was both awesome and horrific and I can't wait to see the look of the character on the show.

RELATED POSTS:

23 comments:

  1. Every time I think it Thrones can't possibly become more epic... one of your posts comes and proves it can. AWESOME STUFF. I can't wait to find out what is this Lady Stoneheart thing. Loving the new header, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I figured I'm gonna change headers more often to fit the stuff that is most written about on the site at different times of the year :)

      Delete
  2. He also has special plans for Brienne...!!! OMG! And may I just say that you can really sell a show.. I mean, GOT doesn't really need selling but man, every time I read one of your thrones posts, I'm filled with anticipation and urge me to read the books.. And the last image.. man, I kind of know what and who and stuff but I don't care! That's what's awesome about GOT, even with spoilers, I still enjoy it and it still entertains me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep HBO should pay me. Or at least release trailer on the Internet along with TV so I wouldn't need to spend hours tracking down all the forums if someone didn't upload the spot yet.

      It's still thrilling because no one knows what they cut, add or change in the show.

      Delete
    2. They should, you're doing some great work prior to the seasons and during and after.. man, I wish I had that kind of commitment to something.

      Delete
    3. I wish I could transfer that commitment to other things :)

      Delete
  3. I love this post! I'm excited for all of the things you talked about. Fangirling over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fangirling hard too :) Can't believe the new TV spot isn't online yet :/

      Delete
  4. So excited for this season! The more I think about it (and the more I read your posts about it), I remember the bits I'm most looking forward to. So many epic moments coming up. I'm glad they have special plans for Brienne because I adore her character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brienne is going to have her book 4 scenes this year but I imagine her journey will be shortened a great deal, I think they will start to shorten a lot of stories to be able to adapt all the major plot points.

      Delete
  5. Sati-- I'm super excited about this season. Great recap of all of the reasons why any GoTs fan should be excited. I also really love the new header. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And congrats on hitting 1 million views! That's an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think half of that is my hidden images in Black Swan post :)

      Delete
  7. So tempted to read your 15 most anticipated moments in the whole series post but forcefully restraining myself! This season is going to be off the scale. That epilogue had me wanting to jump for joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope they didn't cut anything dealing with LS. The lack of mention about the river and mocking funeral is the only red flag so far.

      Delete
  8. Jesus, you know how to get me stoked for this! You've teased it brilliantly. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with Jamie/Brienne, love how that story is moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brienne is gonna have some awesome scenes this year with some characters she interacted little before. Personally I'd love to see her and Cersei in one scene.

      Delete
  9. WOW, awesome new header Sati! I have to admit even though I don't watch this show, I totally get the feverish excitement you (and a lot of others) have about GoT, I probably would love it too if I can actually commit to watching TV series. Bigger dragons, ahah well they look pretty scary as it is I think. That Oberyn Martell guy is gorgeous, I might've mentioned that once or twice haven't I? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The dragons are really scary and they are about to get violent too.

      Oh yeah, ladies love him already:) Oberyn is probably gonna have a sex/brothel scene in every episode, the producers love to show nudity - I bet he is their new favorite character, given his hedonistic way of living. They don't even need to add much and they usually have to when inventing brothel scenes :)

      Delete
    2. Oy, big and violent dragons! As if these Medieval folks don't have enough horrible things in their lives already with fellow humans!

      Btw, you watched HBO's ROME didn't you Sati? Do you think GoT is as violent or much much more gory than that one? Just curious.

      Delete
    3. I think they're on the same level, the gore might be a bit more imaginative in GoT but the scenes of violence are shorter than in Rome, which had quiet long torture scenes. But the violence kinda increased in season 3 accompanying the introduction of the most evil character in the series.

      Delete
    4. I forgot to say that I've only seen Season 1 of ROME, lost interest after Julius Caesar died to be honest, though I might borrow Season 2 from my friend who owns the box set. After all Purefoy as Marc Antony is mighty hunky ;-)

      Well, I just might catch up to GoT, yes I know, LOTS of catching up to do for me obviously, but my hubby's shown interest in it lately so who knows maybe we might binge on it the way we did w/ Battlestar Galactica a few years ago.

      Delete
    5. Oh Season 2 is good! It was a very consistent series and Antony has some awesome scenes, from what I remember.

      Honestly, time just flies when you watch Thrones - I saw first season in one night :)

      Delete