Sunday, March 2, 2014

29th Annual Film Independent Spirit Awards

By s. Sunday, March 2, 2014 , ,
  • I'll keep this short because you are all probably heading to Oscar viewing parties and/or starting to drink really soon (I am, so stay tuned for my crazy tweets) + making McConaughey and above gifset took me a lot of time.
  • This is the first Independent Spirit Awards ceremony I've seen and I really need to watch it every year now - it was so much fun!
  • Patton Oswalt was hosting and he was awesome - he continuously joked about Bruce Dern being old until Dern actually pulled out his hearing aid.
  • "Later tonight we'll be giving Someone to Watch award which will be presented by Mia Farrow"
  • "Dallas Buyers Club, Mud, The Wolf of Wall Street, True Detective...and those are just the names of kinds of pot he smoked"
  • Matthew and Reese Witherspoon presented the award together. She is too lucky.
  • Jared Leto's speech filled with gibberish about baby Jesus, swearing and random "Keanu, I love you" was 10 times better than his rehearsed speeches on 'serious' awards.
  • Cate Blanchett was on stage to pay tribute to James Gandolfini, Roger Ebert and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Brad Pitt was the first to stand up, all teary eyed.
  • The best presenters of the night were definitely Bill Hader and Andy Samberg - they started questioning McConaughey about True Detective and they both wore super casual outfits.
  • They gave the award to Lupita Nyong'o who was carried on stage by Steve McQueen and again gave the best speech - not only was it her birthday but she also had such sweet things to say about her mother who was there.
  • Cate Blanchett won for Best Actress and was super funny backstage:
  • McConaughey, who looked delicious by the way, won best actor and stood on that stage for minutes just being his cool self talking about how much he loves making independent films, saying Alright, alright, alright and being all around lovely. Don't you dare cut him off during Oscars. DON'T. YOU. DARE.
  • 12 Years a Slave won Best Picture so I don't think we are in for surprise tonight.

  • Best Feature: "12 Years a Slave"
    Best Director: Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave"
    Best First Feature: "Fruitvale Station"
    Best Screenplay: "12 Years a Slave"
    Best First Screenplay: "Nebraska"
    Best Female Lead: Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"
    Best Male Lead: Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"
    Best Supporting Female: Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"
    Best Supporting Male: Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club"
    Best Cinematography: "12 Years a Slave"
    Best Editing: "Short Term 12"
    Best Documentary: "20 Feet from Stardom"
    Best International Film: "Blue is the Warmest Color"
    Robert Altman Award: "Mud"
    John Cassavetes Award: "This is Martin Bonner"
    Piaget Producers Award: Toby Halbrooks & James M. Johnston
    Someone to Watch Award: Shaka King, "Newlyweeds"
    Truer Than Fiction Award: Jason Osder, "Let the Fire Burn"


    BTW including my tomorrow's recap of OscarsI recapped every single major ceremony this season. What do I get?:D

    13 comments:

    1. I haven't watched it, and I regret that because The Yellow King thing is great! And I'd love to watch Matthew's speech, hope they're uploading it soon to youtube. Leto, I read it was a fun speech and I can see it was indeed. And the Lupita-McQueen hug and carrying her to the stage is really lovely, I'm so happy she won.

      I'm gonna be watching the Oscars with a couple of friends, we're gonna stay up all night together, but I'd probably read some of your tweets for sure, specially knowing you're also rooting for McConaughey.

      Hope your recap of the Oscars is full of great gifs like this one, and of him winning!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere by now, he actually spoke for 6 minutes!

        Oh yeah my tweets, I was really wasted last night :)

        Delete
    2. Nice writeup! I wish I would have caught this award show. It sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully the Oscars are even half as entertaining.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Amen on both points. Sati, as your the only one whose seen (I assume) both shows, were they?

        Delete
      2. The Oscars were much better than last year, but i may be because I really dislike Seth MacFarlane.

        Delete
    3. I heard Bruce Dern beat up Patton Oswalt backstage. I just saw Dern on Bill Maher and man, the guy is still awesome.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nah, that was just a bit Oswalt did :) But who knows...

        Delete
    4. I'm going to have to find some place to watch this online next year, I don't get the channel anymore, and clearly I missed a lot of funny stuff! Thanks for the recap!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was pretty awesome ceremony, definitely much better than Critics Choice and BAFTAs this year :)

        Delete
    5. lol i didn't hear cate blanchett say that so that was hilarious. and, again, jared leto...what do i have to do to become his future ex wife?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hang out around him until media starts gossiping :)

        Delete
    6. My only small complaint is that these awards now mirror the Oscars a lot. Still, that's a good thing for independent films.

      I'm glad they took a moment for that Gandolfini, Ebert and Hoffman tribute. When Pitt stood up, I remembered that he'd actually worked with both Gandolfini and Hoffman. :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Pitt has been acting so lovely this season. I remember how wonderfully he talked about Hoffman on the red carpet, back when Moneyball was getting nominations.

        Delete