Friday, April 25, 2014

(128) The holy outrage and the royal sass + links

By Sati. Friday, April 25, 2014
  •  Before I start make coffee. Because I have a lot to say.
  • I'm still laughing at that line. I don't care that they have Tyrion in his cell for 70 minutes of screentime this year if he keeps dropping lines like this one.
  • Oh God:
  • Please raid my pantry.
  • I don't think Stannis is in next ep :(
  • Oh that was so great. I love when it's just Stannis and Davos without these crazy bitches. I'd love a spin off with Davos explaining to Stannis what logic is and Stannis being outraged at everything he says. He was like this the whole scene. I also love how many red herrings the writers are putting in his story arc. 
  • Can we get Stannis into properly fucking lit room for once? I insist on including him in each of my episodes' gifsets and it's such a bitch to color dark scenes. 
  • This season is so confusing because of so many options the characters have and loaded with so many detours it will be impossible for non book readers to predict big plot twists. Hell, I read A Storm of Swords twice and I still have trouble predicting where are they going with some of the things.
  • You know how I keep praising Kit Harington for finally acting like a man on the show? Well, the photo shoots of his are really clouding that impression. Look at that shit. It's ridiculous. He looks like that kid from Into the Wild, making freaking animal friends.
  • A nuke exploded in fandom this week. It's all about that Jaime/Cersei scene. In the books what was a consensual, albeit twisted sex, turned into a rape scene in TV. We have mad eyed feminists screaming about 'violence towards women on Game of Thrones'. I sometimes think these professionally outraged people who scream about how something is misogynistic would only be happy if we had women who have men on a leash in every TV show. Game of Thrones is based on medieval times. You may not like it and I may not like it, but atrocious things happened back then. What's truly sad is that it's not just the hysterical tumblr crowd embarrassing themselves with stupid allegations and jumping to conclusions but also a bunch of professional critics. You people make me sick.
  •  While everyone is screaming and grabbing torches, I'm zen. I'm calm. I don't care. I only care about how they write Stannis and one character yet to show up. If I cared about every detour writers take, I'd go completely nuts.
  • George R.R. Martin wrote very articulate and respectful (of writers and fans) response to the scene. I agree with him, as much as I think he should be writing books instead of calming fanbase hysterics. Jaime has been emotionally manipulated, often with the use of sex, by Cersei for years. In the show unlike in the books he was in King's Landing for weeks during which time Cersei rejected him. When she asks him to kill his own brother he finally snaps and takes control the only way he knows how - the way she controlled him all those years. Jaime was never a black and white character. The writers, in my mind, tried to remind the audience that Jaime is still capable of doing evil and succumbing to his weaknesses. They did that to make the future decisions Jaime makes more complex and ambiguous. Did it work? I think in long run it may work.
  • Now, had that been it, it would still be really, really bad. Game of Thrones is at the peak of popularity right now - each year it becomes more and more popular. When Drogo raped Daenerys in season 1 and when Jaime killed his cousin in season 2, the show wasn't this popular yet. Even though they were much more severe deviations from the books, the outrage now is the biggest the show ever faced.
  • I have no major problem with this depiction of the scene. But I have a big problem with incompetence. And before I discuss that let me use this fantastic Stannis/Veep mashup:
  • The first one we heard from was director Alex Graves. He said that 'the scene was a power play and becomes consensual in the end'. Only this is not what it looks like on screen at all. So we have Graves saying the intention behind the scene was the opposite of what we saw. Then we have the showrunners state that it was a rape scene. So we have director who says one thing and the writers who say another. And finally we have yet another interview with Graves where he says 'Jaime raped Cersei'. Inept director is one thing. Inept spineless director who can't make up his mind and makes the entire team look like a bunch of moronic children running around in the fog in desperate need of walkie talkies to be able to communicate is another thing entirely.
  • Graves is also the director of episode 8 and 10 this season. The only thing I would worry about is SPOILER the ending of episode 9 - but this episode is directed by Neil Marshall, a wonderful director who knows how to make a great fucking ending (the ending to Blackwater, his episode, is perhaps the best ending the show ever had).  END OF SPOILER However ep. 8 and 10 feature monumental events. While episode 8 is something I don't think can be ruined, there is one scene involving Tyrion in the finale that is his most important scene in the entire series. So my only hope is that the writers do not give Graves enough room to fuck things up.
  •  That's the first still of Michael Pitt as Mason Verger on Hannibal. I'm not a fan of this look at all. Mason Verger is pure evil and the casting of Pitt is quite intriguing considering his innocent looks. But why go for nerd hipster vibe? So far we only heard him say one line on the show (off screen) and he sounds like 20's mobster. Let's hope it's not gonna be as bad as it looks (and sounds) when he makes his proper entrance. Katharine Isabelle who plays his sister Margot is already wonderful.
  • This is beyond adorable:
  • Can we get Emma Stone into better movies so I would actually be interested in watching them, please?
  • The only person battling Stone's levels of adorable this week is Prince George:
  • Prince George's sass game's too strong.
  • Brittani recaps Breaker of Chains
  • Andrew asks about your definition of overrated
  • Steven reviews Under the Skin
  • Ruth asks which films with great ensemble cast that fail to deliver?
  • m.brown reviews one of my all time favorites, In Bruges
  • Alex shares a look at his favorite performances of Bill Murray
  • Josh reviews Transcendence
  •  If you are not familiar with these GoT recaps check them out - they are hilarious!:
  • and here's something for the book readers:
  • RELATED POSTS:

    28 comments:

    1. Thanks for the link-love. The GoT guys w/ stuffed animals are adorable. That Prince George is hilarious. He doesn't like that thing.

      The only thing I use Rolling Stone magazine for is to blow my nose due to my allergies as I think the mag should've died 15 years ago. To think that I even wanted to work there when I used to write music reviews.

      Emma Stone needs to be in better films as I have no interest in seeing the new Spider-man. She is great. BTW, have you seen her singing "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls? There is nothing wrong with the Spice Girls.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome, can't wait to see the movie! Prince George is my role model :)

        I'm not that familiar with the magazine but their recent covers and headlines are just awful.

        I did! Her whole Spice Girls obsession is so cute.

        Delete
    2. Hannibal is another show I've been wanting to check out. The only thing I know of Mason Verger is Gary Oldman's incarnation from the film. I loved that freaked little bastard, so I'd be curious to see what a new actor would do with the character.

      Thanks so much for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think you'd like it a lot. The writing is ridiculous at times, but the attention to detail and the amount of awesome homages they pay to famous horror/thrillers is unreal. I can't wait to see what Pitt does with the role, especially that they are making some changes to the character in this version.

        Delete
    3. OMG Where did those pictures of Dilane and Dance come from? lol.

      I love that Veep mash up. It's perfect. I would watch an entire series devoted to Davos trying to use logic on Stannis. More of those scenes please.

      I really hope people stop freaking out about the sept scene too. I just want to forget it happened.

      I love Michael Pitt...I really need to watch Hannibal.

      Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are so adorable. He just looks so embarrassed for her there.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think they were send from heaven :)

        I hope there will be some epic Davos/Stan stuff during their trip to Braavos. I love that shot in the trailer where their ship is under the Titan and they are not giving a fuck about it ^^

        I think you'd like Hannibal, it's a fun show though it has the worst FBI ever ^^

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    4. Such a cute gif set of Stone and Garfield! I totally want to watch the Amazing Spiderman series but it's just too much CGI.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah and it looks pretty awful too :/ The first movie was so boring.

        Delete
    5. Emma Stone is hilarious. I give her all the respect in the world for having fun with those dumb questions. I realize it's to get fans involved, but holy shit they ask some dumb questions. Lindsey is probably 35 years old.

      Anyway...thanks for the link. I loved In Bruges so much.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They really do ^^ But the people who respond are usually very sweet and overlook that :)

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    6. I'm not sure if my comment was published. My computer had a brain fart.

      That scene w/ Jamie and Cersei was pretty bad, but I think it was like you said last week, primarily due to the poor direction of Graves and even worse editing. Had the episode had a different director, the scene could have been handled differently.

      I understand what Martin is saying, but I don't necessarily think that "no really meaning yes" is the most tasteful way to present a power play. The books have definitely been violent (I haven't finished all of them), but there were some scenes that I don't remember from the books. Again, perhaps the way the scene was written and the way it was presented on screen were different. I think Graves' direction may bear a lot of the blame here.

      IMO the scene w/ Geoffrey torturing the prostitutes and then shooting the girl with arrows was much more disturbing to me than the Jamie/Cersei scene. I don't think that was in the books. So sometimes I do think the show takes an already over the top concept and tries to goes even further. It definitely doesn't do itself any favors when the nudity it shows is exclusively female.

      I also agree w/ you that life in the medieval world was brutal. Unfortunately rape (and murder--which is well depicted on GoTs) happened then just as it does now. I think part of the problem is that people are not willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt b/c of some of HBOs previous antics.

      On to happier things. Ah babies throwing things. They do it often. They are honest little critters. George is so precious.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The show is already incredibly toned down considering what is happening in the books. They honestly feature maybe 1/5 of all the sexual violence happening in the books. Sometimes they add something, but the stuff they didn't adapt was much, much worse.

        The nudity thing I agree is very sexist.

        I think it was worse then now on global scale, when it came to women. It was rooted in the culture, now the world changed, fortunately.

        He is so cute, I hope they'll bring him along on their trips often.

        Delete
      2. Yeah, I have to finish reading all of the books. From what I've read there are definitely differences btw the show and the series. I think fans need to remember that the show can show some disturbing things (things that probably happened in medieval times). The scene that disturbed me the most was the scene w/ the Mountain and torturing the guy with the rats. I had to fast fwd through that one.

        Delete
      3. Oh yeah that was awful. The only one where I almost looked away was Qyburn treating Jaime's stump in season 3. That was so gross/

        Delete
    7. Kit Harrington's face just looks like a punching bag.
      I'm excited to see what Pitt does. No one really expected Mads' Hannibal so I'm hoping it's sorta like that.

      God I wish all these people would just leave the Amazing Shit-Man franchise. Get Miley Cyrus in there or something! I adore Emma Stone and Prince George is the best!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Those new Spiderman films are honestly a waste of everyone's time, perhaps even Jaime Foxx's and I hate him.

        Delete
    8. Thanks so much for the link! I so agree about Emma Stone in better movies, and Prince George is soooo adorable!!! Ahah, the two feared men in Westeros holding stuffed animal definitely is cute!

      Btw, my level of *addiction* to Toby Stephens seem to have reached yours with GoT and perhaps McConaughey, ahah. Can't get enough of him, you'll definitely see a lot more of him on my blog from now on. Move over Richard :P

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        No normal, sane person can reach my level of GoT obsession. If that kind of thing was common, this race wouldn't survive :)

        Delete
      2. Ahah well I feel like I'm getting close to that w/ my obsession w/ Toby. It's literally taking over my life right now as I can't stop watching/listening to him. My tumblr is on fire once again thanks to him! :P

        Delete
      3. I saw! Tumblr is a good way to drool over one's crushes :)

        Delete
    9. Interesting to read the responses from Martin, Graves and the showrunners. It sounds like a whole bunch of confusion over that one scene. I guess at the very least it's got everyone talking about the show. :)

      BTW, I appreciate you using a different color for spoilers. Very considerate for non-readers like myself!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah but the talk turned to whining and false accusations of misogyny etc. I think the ratio of female to male nudity is a more glaring issue not a change of one scene from the book that was somewhat explained by the circumstances in the show.

        Sure thing! I'd hate to spoil anything.

        Delete
    10. The GoT recaps are hilarious, I'm loving the "no wi-fi, but we have each other" haha and the Oberyn and Jon Snow one. I found it the other day on tumblr and it's awesome.

      I also loved Tyrion saying that, he always has great lines, and Stannis + Davos. And poor Kit. That cover is awful, seriously.

      Totally agree with everything you've said about Graves and the fan reaction. I feel the same, and loved that Stannis gif you've used to explain it! Episode 9 is always the most shocking impressive one so I have faith on Marshall and hoping that Graves would not ruin it. And also have hopes on Michael Pitt. I only know a bit about the character but he can be really scary. He was brilliant in Funny Games.

      Prince George and Dillane and Dance, the most adorable.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love them so much, so funny! And every character gets attention there :)

        Honestly his magazine covers are horrendous. He is nice looking guy with great body but they photograph him as if he was a dork.

        If they pull off episode 9 ending this will be the hottest, most beautiful thing ever on GoT :) I may take a day off work the next day :)

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the link!

      Oh, I hope Emma Stone starts doing better movies too. She does have Magic in the Moonlight, Birdman and Cameron Crowe's latest film also coming out this year, though. It could be a big year for her. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I'm really hoping these will be good, or at least she gets a chance to shine in them.

        Delete
    12. Nice post as always! I really liked that Rolling Stone article on both Kit and George.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I liked the article too, I just wish the cover was less...amusing :)

        Delete