Friday, May 30, 2014

(133) Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken* + links

By Sati. Friday, May 30, 2014
*the words of house Martell
  • That awkward moment of the year when the current season of Thrones didn't even end yet and you are already waiting for the next one.
  • These casting details for season 5 were released and they are very interesting. 
  • First of all - Maggy the Frog. My soul squealed when I saw that. I love the mystical/prophetic aspect of the books and that is featured in the show so scarcely. But Maggy is the one who tells my favorite prophecy and I'm so happy they are finally incorporating that element in the show. It's such a powerful element in Cersei's story - the fact that she heard the prophecy as a child had a big part of her hating Tyrion - even though I think it's fairly obvious the prophecy doesn't refer to him. I'll be very interested to see how they will use Maggy on the show
  • Second of all, we will see Lollys, Bronn's wife which most likely means we will see Bronn too! YEY!
  • Third of all, High Sparrow being cast, as well as the awesome character of Septa Unella. Lena Headey's most exquisite acting moment is coming next year.
  • and finally the Dornish. I am shocked they are featuring so many of them. Yeah they are cool and I love Dorne's hedonistic ways but this many Dornish characters on the show? I'm just glad we'll get to see Cersei's daughter Marcella again. She is brilliantly cast. We will definitely see 3 of the eldest of Oberyn's daughters. We will also see Water Gardens.
  • The way to explain the show featuring so many Dornish? The producers can smell all the sexposition they can use next season. I do like the Dornish but I find it to be a bit much. Why? Because the Northern storyline is becoming so fascinating. There is also King's Landing but I doubt they will cut any scenes there, it's gonna be a golden season for Lena Headey.
  • And most importantly - Stannis. For the love of all that is holy and pure, please just give him a poster, promo pics, screentime, a lot of screentime! He deserves it. Stephen Dillane deserves it. Goddammit, I deserve it too! Can he please finally yell 'Quiet, woman!' at someone? Don't cut his scenes short to feature people banging in Dorne. Don't you dare giving him as much screentime in s5 as you did in s4 and s3 which was essentially fuck all. 
  • Oh yeah about promo pics. Pycelle now has 5 in this season and some random fucking maps have 2. Stannis still has 3. This is bullshit.
  • in 3 days:
  • Oberyn and the Mountain. Trial by Combat. My God. 
  • I'm actually relatively calm this week, but before episode 9 and episode 10 I'm just gonna be bouncing off the walls and laughing manically like a lunatic.
  • It drives me crazy how there is still no soundtrack announcement for this year. Normally they release it before the finale but the details resurface sooner. Where are the news? :/
  • Sunday was awful and Monday was hellish. Normally around 4 pm I’m almost done working and ready to have a coffee, a smoke and rewatch new Thrones after I stayed up to watch it at 3am and slept 1,5h because let’s face it I’m not sleeping when Thrones is on. It's not a question or whether or not I need to or have to sleep, it's not physically possible for me to actually be asleep when it airs.
  • And it’s wonderful. And HBO took it away this week. This however is hilarious.
  • It's been a really bad week as it was and next week is going to be even worse. When I say worse I mean more busy and exhausting. And....what's the word....life draining.
  • Not sure if I won't pass out on Monday after I get home, so you may need to wait for recap for a day or two. This will apply to each remaining episode - you have no idea how much I'm gonna write about the last 3 eps.
  • Keep calm...and watch Stephen Dillane movies.
  • So I did. I rewatched The Hours and Spy Game. Then I figured I'm just gonna bring more joy to our little, passionate tumblr fandom and I made a gifset.
  • I'm gonna make the one from The Hours this weekend. I would make it sooner but too much sighing at once may be deadly.
  • So I did this Which Supervillain Should You Hook Up With? quiz and I got Magneto and it said "So noble, so intense, so unwilling to commit to anything but his quest". Yeah...I definitely have a type here...
  • I gave it the final shot with Hannibal and now I'm definitely done. You know how I keep complaining people who are allegedly dead come back? Guess what happened in this finale! I understand doing shit like this once or twice, but this must have been third or fourth time they did that. In one season. In a series that's not fantasy. No, it's supposed to be a dark thriller. The hell?
  • But at least I saw Mikkelsen in the rain. He's like homicidal Mr. Darcy or something.
  • The creator of the show tweeted this. Turns out his most anticipated thing this season is the same as mine (but for the love of God don't google it). His writing for his own show sucked this season but here he is spot on - preach, sir.
  • I started watching Penny Dreadful. So far I only saw two episodes but it's pretty good. One misstep and I'll quit it but so far the seance scene alone made it worth it. The ending to episode 2 was horrifying. How could they do that to such a sweet character?!
  • So there is this critic, Ann something  (I don't bother learning the last names of utter morons I probably won't hear of again) that suggested that the latest of tragic shootings in US is partly because in Judd Apatow comedies the guy always gets the girl. America, you don't have to be ashamed of your comedies. You should be ashamed of having morons like that write for Washington Post. I'm not an American but personally I'd find this kind of garbage insulting - what, are the Americans so mentally unstable they cannot watch Judd Apatow's comedy without going on homicidal rampage? 
  • There's more. This chick wrote a separate article about the attention she received to the first article. I rarely tweet strangers calling them attention seeking whores, but I did here and it was still a great restraint on my part. In terms of every word - great restraint.
  • Team Seth all the way.
  • Brad Pitt got punched by Vitalii Sediuk on Maleficent premiere. It's awful. But it also makes you think of Burn after Reading and that's funny. Apparently, Pitt hit him back which is great - yeah, yeah violence is bad but this guy is such a douchebag. It's kinda a shame this prankster guy didn't do that to someone as...let's go with the word "unpredictable" as Sean Penn. I'm guessing that would be the ass kicking of the year.
  • Also I'm not sure if that tweet isn't more ridiculous than that situation. The star of World War Z. Damn, that's almost insulting isn't it? 
  • People are getting excited about the upcoming Emmy nominations. Oh who the fuck cares, after they snubbed Fairley and Waldau last year they are dead to me.
  • This Sin City 2 poster is causing controversy because apparently it's too sexy and revealing for MPAA. What? The only offensive thing here is how shit this coloring is.
  • Another thing - apparently Peter Capaldi's part was cut in Maleficent. Some in Doctor Who fandom seem not to be bothered as the role in the movie would 'clash' with him being the dark Doctor. They behave as if Capaldi's whole life and other roles were on pause because oh my, the Doctor!. It's as if I said Dillane's work in Game of Thrones is his biggest achievement because it's Game of Thrones. 
  • I'd have to be on crack. His work in The Hours is more beautiful than entire Thrones. 
  • Yeah. I typed that. 
  • You read that. 
  • That really happened. 
  • We're through the looking glass now.
  • Brittani shares a great scene from American Beauty
  • Katy reviews The Matrix which she didn't see before
  • Elina reviews Atonement
  • Mara shares a great post for Paris, Texas 30th anniversary of winning Palme d'or
  • Eric reviews Unbreakable
  • Alex writes about masterful cinematography by Rodrigo Prieto
  • Anna writes about Mommie Dearest
  • MettelRay reviews Neighbors 
  • Courtney writes about the horrors of living adult life depicted in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
  • m.brown reviews A Million Ways to Die in the West

  • RELATED POSTS:

    50 comments:

    1. Another week, another Vitalii Sediuk "prank." Seriously, I'd love to know what is wrong with this guy. He's clearly, just... off. I stopped caring about the Emmys long ago too. Damn shame, they could be so good. Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm starting to think these stars or studios actually hire him to do this shit and create a stories papers can write about.

        Delete
    2. The puppies win.

      I'm starting to have more and more respect for Seth Rogen. For someone who is very funny, the guy is also very intelligent and he also made some very good comments about having women play stronger characters in comedy. Big thumbs up for that guy. Especially to that bitch writing for the Washington Post. What the hell is going on with journalism these days? No wonder newspaper sales have been going down.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't even read papers anymore. Everyone just want to be controversial these days. These comments are downright hurtful and actually trivialize everything not to mention make audiences look stupid. It's a comedy. Comedy is basically fantasy when it comes to human interactions.

        Delete
    3. Anyone have a video of Pitt swinging back at this prankster? Honestly, how does he get on the red carpet time and time again. Part of me makes me think it's always a set up if he can get so close to them without security noticing. Burn After Reading is classic.
      Love that Conan gif!
      No Capaldi in Maleficent - I want to see the movie. After catching a sneak peak of the opening scene, I just felt like watching the Disney original. :/
      Thank you for linking me! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't think there is a video of that, at least not yet :)

        I'm gonna see Maleficent but it looks like yet another of those Disney movies where everything is a copy of Alice in Wonderland.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    4. Puppies win for me too. If someone got video of Brad Pitt punching that guy, that would be my cutest event of the week.
      Some think that Capaldi's part would have clashed with Doctor Who? What? The man has had a career that has spanned at least 30 years, Doctor Who might make him more famous than he's ever been, and he has played a variety of characters well. I would not want him to be pigeonholed as The Doctor forever.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it's really not fair :/ Whenever these talented older actors get a part in a popular thing the world just acts as if that's the most important. It may be most popular but it's really unfair to treat it like that, given someone's impressive body of work.

        Delete
    5. Excellent post Sati, some amazing links here.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Sorry, Kit Harrington, but I'd have to go with the puppies!

      I just watched Maleficent and I think a Peter Capaldi appearance might have made it a tad more...bearable. Jolie was all right but the movie itself seemed a little dull compared to the trailer.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It does look a bit dull :/ I think I'll like Jolie's work but I don't think I'll enjoy much in the movie.

        Delete
    7. I love those Stannis memes! More of those, please.
      I don't know why I'm surprised they aged up Trystane Martell? Either way, I'm looking more forward to the Dornish scenes than the Iron Born ones. *yawn*
      I took that villain test and got The Joker, which is awesome, but seriously, what the fuck?
      I don't see how that dude that punched Brat Pitt is still allowed into events. I hope he tries this shit on Sean Penn too. lol
      Thank you for the link!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love them too ^^ They're so....accurate :P

        Oh yeah between these two choices I'd go with Dornish too.

        It's like his douchery intensified lately, he keeps doing shit like that every week or so. Who the hell hires that guy? I can't imagine it's that easy to come close to Brad Pitt.

        Delete
    8. I didn't even know Capaldi was in Maleficent :/ Shame.

      Dillane's performance in The Hours is among my favourite supporting performances of all time. SO GOOD!

      I love Eva Green but I swear, all anyone ever does with her is get her to show her boobs. I am so sure some big explosive scene is coming up in Penny Dreadful when she's going to rip off her clothes or something. She was really good in the seance scene but it went on for forever. For me, the Frankenstein subplot is enough to watch the show.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yey, so glad you're such a fan of his work there! He was just so wonderful and his character was such a beautiful person.

        I think she actually had several years when she wasn't naked anywhere and then she did some TV show, showed her breasts and now it's like an avalanche of her showing them off everywhere.

        Delete
    9. I think Kit shivering is actually the cutest thing I've seen in a while.

      Yes, I read what that woman wrote about Seth Rogen and Appatow. I intensely dislike their humor, but I agree with you. She's just baiting people into a debate, so I don't even comment on stuff like that. I'm amazed at how many "journalists" are really trolls in disguise.

      Where are you from if I may ask? As an American, I can tell you that your dialect is (written) in a way that Americans find relatable! Perhaps b/c you watch so many American films.

      Oh Stephen Dillane. I loved him in the Hours. I can watch him all day. I also love him in 'Firelight.'

      I'm a Capaldi fan. I liked him before Doctor Who. People need to remember that he's an actor, not just an embodiment of a character.

      I feel bad for Pitt. Who goes to a movie premiere with the expectation of getting punched in the face? I wish they could have brought the guy into an enclosed room and let Pitt beat the heck of that guy. Perhaps this guy needs to be beat up before he will stop. All that ever happens is that he gets dragged away and his name in the paper. I hope they press charges.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. There's gonna be more of Kit in next RF, he is so adorable on that set :)

        Let's say I'm closer to UK than I'm to US :) That may be it, I actually learned the most English from movies/tv shows :)

        I keep postponing watching Firelight. I saw some gifs and it looks steamy enough with Dillane hotness it may make me faint ^^

        I think Pitt filed for restraining order and Sediuk was fired but honestly, it all looks so strange. I'm almost convinced the studios hire this guy to boost the press, who would even hear about that premiere if it wasn't for that punch, I'm guessing only fashion sites who report what chicks wear to these things.

        Delete
      2. There is some serious hotness in Firelight. It's probably my 2nd favorite Dillane role after his role as Jefferson in 'John Adams.' It's a must see.

        Delete
      3. I'm gonna see it on Saturday after my work week is done, as a reward :)

        Delete
    10. "[...] even though I think it's fairly obvious the prophecy doesn't refer to him." Who do you think it refers to? I have no idea, I thought it could be Tyrion, he has every reason to do such thing.

      I just can't wait fo the episode but on the other hand... I think I'm gonna cry my eyes out!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think it's Jaime. We know he is younger than Cersei - there's gotta be a reason for it, for Martin including that information. On the other hand I'm thinking that Jaime may die to save Brienne. I think it's most definitely not Tyrion, it would be too easy. The prophecy mentions a hand of gold, doesn't it?

        There's still so much of the story left it's hard to construct theories.

        Delete
      2. My bet is Jamie who will betray her, as she will not expect it at all. She gets it all wrong and her actions to prevent it aren't helping really (if not making things worse).
        So how far do you think the King's Landing story line will go according to the books? Will it be enough for season 5 and 6? How soon will they surpass that books?

        Delete
      3. I think the last events in KL from book 5 will be near the end of season 5.

        For example they will already need to make stuff up for Sansa next season,but Cersei and Daenerys have a lot of story in book 4/5. But it's not gonna be more than for one season, especially seeing how wonderful of episode 9/10 moments big events in their storylines would make.

        Delete
      4. I totally forgot that Cersei is older! Glad I'm doing a reread now :D In that case yes, Jamie theory seems logical.

        I hope that book 6 will get a release before season 5 the beginning of season 5 but Martin just loves to torture his fans.

        Delete
      5. On the other hand Martin throwing Jaime on the course with Brienne seems like a big obstacle..truth be told if the choice is Jaime killing Cersei or Jaime killing himself to save Brienne, the latter seems better. I'm sure Cersei will die, though, but probably near the very end.

        I don't think it will happen :/ I think the show will be the one to wrap everything up first.

        Delete
    11. Ugh, tried Penny Dreadful but 10 minutes into the third episode, I quit. Just felt utterly boring and despite Eva Green and Timothy Dalton, everything else just bored me senseless. Ugh, maybe it got better, but time is precious!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I can see how one could be bored with it, it's a slow show but it has some of those big, exciting moments.

        Delete
    12. Thanks for the linkage Sati! I think I need to finally see The Hours. I'm so psyched about the casting news - and Lena Headey's time to shine.

      Seriously though, we punches Brad Pitt? What an idiot.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, The Hours is such a beautiful movie, I highly recommend it!

        I heard Brad already went all restraining order on his ass :)

        Delete
    13. Correction - WHO punches Brad Pitt? I would never punch him, not even if he asked.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Okay...so not only do I have to see Sin City 2 now, I'm pretty sure it's already my favorite movie ever. Yeah, my criteria is pretty simple.

      Punching Brad Pitt in the face is like killing a unicorn. Even if you get the chance, you probably shouldn't do it. Ever.

      Thanks for the link. I eagerly await the backlash!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hahaha ^^ There's also pole dancing Alba again :)

        I know it's awful, isn't it? Brad is a treasure.

        You're welcome! It's seems like the backlash is happening at US box office :)

        Delete
      2. I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't have seen it had I had to pay for it...but I still thought it was pretty funny.

        Well, till I saw Neighbors. Now it just looks like an unfunny turd.

        Delete
      3. Neighbors is so much fun. I really cannot wait to see it again, so far the funniest movie of the year.

        Delete
    15. Gotta go with the puppies this week.

      I'm waiting for someone to strike back against that "prankster" guy. It's only a matter of time if he keeps this shit up. That day will be glorious.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think they fired him already but these people always seem to land on their feet :/

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    16. I'm reading the third book and when Oberyn was mentioned I gasped.. I got so excited and then reality hit me and I had to stop reading for a while because a part of me doesn't want to finish the third book for many many reasons. It's still in the developing stages of the bloodshed that's going to happen, knowing it makes it even harder to read but I'm still somehow enjoying the heck out of it.
      Littlefinger had a lovely quote about Lysa there, regarding the key that's between his legs, which in addition to the last episode, makes it even more entertaining. Does Littlefinger get POV chapters? In a way it would be very interesting to read those but it would probably give too much away, part of his charm is the mystery around him.

      I haven't even started Hannibal's second season and I have a feeling I shouldn't.. I remember watching half the first season with pure excitement and then slowly it became some what okay and now with all the bad stuff people say about its second season, I think I'm giving up on Hannibal for the second time.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No, LF doesn't get POV, we see his recent activities via Sansa's POV :) Martin has this way of giving the povs to bystanders - Kings and people with real power don't get POVs, Dany and Cersei being the exceptions.

        A lot of people really loved second season, I find that strangely my complaints which are more than valid (using same plot device four times in one season is not good writing) don't get mentioned by a lot of people. Who knows you can still enjoy it, the show looks beautiful and it has Mikkelsen :)

        You're welcome! :)

        Delete
      2. Man, I hope Sansa would use her power over Littlefinger somehow.. in my mind she has so much potential for simply wrapping Littlefinger around her little finger.. If I manage to finish all the stuff I have planned for today, including the defense preparation, I might even read a bit. Though, of late, I'm able to read at work A LOT! Which isn't technically allowed but I don't care. :D

        Delete
      3. Oh man, I wish I could read at work. I barely have the time to go to bathroom when I'm there :)

        Delete
    17. Well, it's Sunday night, but I still laughed at that last one.

      Thanks for the link! I keep seeing these films with weird-ass titles I picked for Brittani's blogathon being reviewed all the time -- Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead? Well, these reviews get my attention anyway.

      Really looking forward to seeing The Hours ever since I read your post on Dillane in it!

      Can't wait to see Eva Green again, but seriously, that poster is nothing, what the hell? The colours are disturbing, though, I agree on that one.

      You really gonna make us wait for your recap?? Can I sponsor some coffee and cigarettes for you to get it done faster? To get all three done faster, actually?

      PS. I'm convinced Emmys are horrible, but I saw something about Noel Fisher being considered for nomination or something? So I'm really-really excited now, because even with a 0.001% chance, I'll always root for him for what he did in season 4. AND they're going as comedy which means they're not clashing with the other super duper shows! Yay!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!:)

        Oh The Hours is such a beautiful movie, I'm sure you will like it.

        Those colors are so ugly on that poster. They did the color thing much better with promo material for the first movie.

        I don't think that will help. It's just work and studying. Even when I have very little time to write I'm so exhausted I just can't. I may even start doing RF every two weeks soon.

        Shameless going us comedy this year is so hilarious. Last season was the darkest one yet.

        Delete
    18. Well I just read your GoT recap, OMG Oberyn!! He's so gorgeous to die such a horrible death, not that ANYONE should ever die that way.

      Ohh Dillane is in Spy Game! I remember him now, ahah you're really crushing on him as bad as I am w/ Toby, I love it ;-)

      Ahah, Mads does look like a homicidal Mr. Darcy in that gif, too funny!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh some people should die that way, especially on that show :) not him, though :(

        He is the only light in my crappy, busy exhausting life ^^

        The rain thing and the serious look just immediately made me think of Darcy :)

        Delete
    19. I'm not the biggest fan of Judd Apatow comedies either but they don't make me want to go on a homicidal rampage. Freakin' idiot who wrote that.

      And that Sin City poster is absolutely fine by me! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha all the boys love Eva Green :)

        Delete
    20. Haha, my problem with the Emmys is the same one I have with the Tonys: I don't really see the point in watching them, since I usually haven't seen 99% of the nominees (or 100% as far as the Tonys go). Oh well. I'm sure something good will win, which reminds me I need to dig into True Detective now that it's out on DVD. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh True Detective is excellent, I think you'll really like this one!

        Delete