Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Rising Stars: Chris Pratt

By s. Wednesday, August 13, 2014
It's always so cool when things go well for an actor you root for - with Guardians of the Galaxy killing it at the box office everyone is noticing its leading man - Chris Pratt. I am a huge fan of Parks and Recreation, a fantastic show that is still watched by too few and really, everyone should be watching it, where Pratt plays hilarious character of Andy Dwyer. I'm just so happy for him finally having a proper big break into the movie world.

Chris was born on June 21st 1979 (I'm kinda shocked to find out he is not younger, he has such an infectious, youthful energy) in Virginia. His first roles include flicks called Cursed Part 2 and Strangers with Candy, so it wasn't always easy at the beginning. Chris went on to appear on popular series Everwood and The O.C. but it's Parks and Rec that was his big break into getting recognized and finally having a shot at big roles.

And then things went quickly - Chris appeared in a film that was Oscar-nominated for Best Picture for three consecutive years: Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty and Her. Then it was off to Guardians of the Galaxy with the studio taking quite the risk and casting someone who never carried a movie as lead in a gigantic summer blockbuster.

Next it's a lead role in another big movie - Jurassic World - and then Chris is rumored to star in Knight Rider. While he may not have the greatest acting talent I would be at loss to think of an actor who people would like so much unanimously - Emma Stone, perhaps? All those movie stars these days either come off smug or disjointed from reality with their weird food, pretentious websites and acting like they aren't even human just a different species filled with contempt for ordinary people. And here comes a guy, a regular good guy, who is down to earth and charismatic enough you can sit back and enjoy watching a space movie and actually care about the character he is playing because of how damn likable he is.


And that's what makes Chris Pratt someone to root for and someone to enjoy on screen - he seems like a genuinely kind person, a good husband (to actress Anna Faris) and father and someone who is a lot of fun and has distance to himself. He is a movie star in the making without  being fake, pompous or smug. When he is being nice on talk shows you don't feel he is just doing it for the show - he actually seems sincere and humble. These are the kinds of actors I love - if someone is a great actor and an asshole I probably won't be a fan. But someone who may not be winning Oscar for his performances and isn't hailed as next Pacino, DeNiro or whatever but is genuinely appreciative of his fans and success? That is the kind of person I cheer for.

25 comments:

  1. I like Chris Pratt. He seems like a really cool dude who wants to have fun but also give back. There aren't many qualities like that these days. I love his role in The Five-Year Engagement where he was a riot. "We're fucking married!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, him and Alison Brie were the very few aspects of the movie I enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. Chris Pratt is awesome, he seems like such a cool person. I love him on Parks and Recreation, which is such an amazing and underrated show. How the hell hasn't Amy Poehler won an Emmy yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, but it's even worse Carrel never won for the Office :/

      Delete
  3. Love this! He's the guy you really, really want to root for, and I am really glad to see things happening for him. He's got charisma for days. You never know, he could be our next Channing Tatum and be in the running for an Oscar in five years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Sati! I feel like Pratt is so early at the start of his career, we may see him get accolades in the future. It's nice to see a movie star who is having fun with his career and is a hardworker; sometimes the dramatic overlords of Hollywood get too much credit for their work and are such Scrooges. He's genuinely down to Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love how sweet this guy is, I really dislike all those arrogant, smug actors who never seem to appreciate what they have

      Delete
  5. This is a great post! I'm late to the party on Pratt but have enjoyed everything I've seen him in. And if this guy's not a genuinely nice dude, then he's a much better actor than we give him credit for!

    By the way...he's a few months older than I am. I thought he was MUCH younger, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think he is simply this nice but who knows, maybe he could pull off more challenging roles.

      He looks about 28 to me, tops!

      Delete
  6. Excellent post! Chris Pratt grew on me, fast. I actually would love to see him in something serious/more dramatic now, because I think he could handle it. He's just so likable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a cool guy. Do you watch Parks and Rec? I think you'd love it, he plays such a great character there

      Delete
  7. Yeah, Pratt's definitely on my radar after Guardians, he impressed the hell out of me there. I've noticed him here and there, but never really took note of him, but now he's got my attention. Also cool to see that he appears to be a genuinely good guy on top of that, which I agree is always a plus. Whenever I find out an actor's an asshole, I do have a tendency to hold that against them sometimes. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when they are either assholes or just trashy like Jennifer Lawrence - to think that some people actually consider her a role model is horrific.

      Delete
  8. This is a really good post.
    I actually didn't know this guy exists and that there could be such an actor who is successful. He should read your post - an amazing one for an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm sure he knows he is being appreciated, people just seem to adore him and for a good reason, there are so few nice actors out there.

      Delete
  9. Great spotlight on a definite rising star, Sati! But whilst people may think he's an instant success he's actually been working for some time in small supporting roles and so I'm glad he's now found success in a lead role, the first of many I'm sure. Yeah, whilst he may not be the greatest acting talent like you said, I do think he's got screen presence and so effortlessly likable. I'm not in love w/ Guardians of Galaxy as most of the universe seem to be but I did enjoy it a lot and Pratt is truly one of the best things in it. Good for James Gunn to take a chance on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're already like the guy! He is so likable and I love this in an actor. He is also so down to earth!

      Delete
  10. Great post! Chris Pratt is awesome, and I'm really happy to see him having so much success these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He really deserves all the success, what a great guy!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness I almost shed a tear. How sweet he is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post! How can anyone not like Chris Pratt? If there's one person I want to succeed, it's him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw GOTG this week and loved it so much I watched it 4 times! I'm a huge Chris Pratt fan now. I'm so glad to see a nice person with a lovely family gain this level of success. I will be following his career and watching his movies from now on.

    ReplyDelete