Friday, September 12, 2014

(148) Freakshow + links

By Sati. Friday, September 12, 2014
  • I finally made a gifset of Ordinary Decent Criminal. Time stood still during that second gif. Oh my God.

  • What is that on the left you may ask. Well that is, apparently, Stephen's actual signature. This appeared on tumblr with the comment 'he's not even trying'. I laughed so hard. 
  • Also the photo of Stephen from his performance as Macbeth showed up and I never wanted to time travel back to 2004 and be there in London so badly before. Good God, I'd get arrested so fast if I were there in the audience.
  • Look what Peter Capaldi did for his fangirls. Stephen, there are like 50 of us on tumblr. Give us something.
  • I obviously rewatched Firelight to celebrate my birthday movie-style (and as usual I rewatched Anything Else). If I were to make a list of  best romantic movies, that would be in top 3. That scene where Sophie Marceau battles with sexual frustration as she watches him drying himself off as he is naked after swimming (which we see that through a foggy window, never forget, never forgive) was the most relatable thing I've ever seen in the movie.
  • I work in the courthouse and there is another one in the building next door. There was a bomb alarm this week and the building was evacuated. At 9 am. Everyone went home.  Obviously that was in another building, not where I work. Because of course I cant even have luck in bad luck. Because of course if another building blows up, the one I work in, standing right next to it and at least 150 year old, will be fine and won't collapse at all. It was a fake alarm, though, since it's always people who are supposed to appear in court that day making these 'there's a bomb' calls to get out of having to appear in the court. Seriously, this happens at least once a month.
  • I got to be alone in the office today, everyone else went to some lecture. Oh it was glorious. I hope to have my own office one day, I so relate to Ron Swanson. And Stanley Hudson. I share his dream:

  • Do you see why Mr Dillane is my soulmate? We could be antisocial together <3
  • Further exploring my fucked up personality, I took another quiz and as usual I'm INTJ. This is so accurate that it's scary. Except for 'trouble showing feelings to a partner in a public place'. That is the opposite of truth. Curious? Let's just say no one ever got arrested.
  • There is a new poster for Gone Girl and yes, it's as terrible as the previous ones, if not more so. At least Rosamund is in it but good God, it looks so bad. From atrocious photoshop to seriously ridiculous design....who made those? They should be ashamed of themselves. 
  • I don't say it a lot but truly, I could do better than this. Much better. In truth, a drunk money could do better than this. 
  • The worst part is that they don't capture the story at all - what the fuck is this? Affleck staring at her and her looking all calm looking off at the distance? The only thing remotely connected to the story is the fact that Nick talks about his wife's head a lot. And I'm sure the fact this is where he is looking in that poster is by accident.
  • However there is also a pininterest account for Amy which is actually quite clever.

  • There are two new awesome TV spots (1,2) for the movie. Tyler Perry looks really great in the movie, I know people are sceptical but he is really a brilliant choice for his part.
  • I cannot freaking wait. It may actually kill me since I need to wait two weeks longer than others to see it - I only have time on weekends and the weekend it opens my friend who is seeing it with me is gonna be abroad so I have to wait for him to get back.
  • Fincher said that Gone Girl the book ‘had different endings’. Call me crazy but I saw one ending. David, did you read it while being high?
  • Seriously everyone is going insane about the ending. Between people who incorrectly claim the ending made no sense, Ben Affleck talking out of his ass about the entire third act being changed in the film and Fincher talking in some sort of strange code let me just say - just wait a month, shut up and watch the goddamn movie. It's Fincher. It's gonna be good.
  • Meanwhile let me just say that people defending Nick and calling Amy a ‘cunt’ are ridiculous. You are probably also the ones who didn’t like the book ending, which was the only possible ending to this story.

  • Did you think there are no more photos from that time DiCaprio got off the leash a few weeks back? There are!
  • I saw Morning Glory, Guess Who is Coming for Dinner and The Accused for Fisti's Twice a Best Actress thing. I really didn't like either the movie or Katherine Hepburn's performance in the first one. I feel when you guys read what I wrote about her you are gonna want to burn me because I get that she is an icon, but come on that was just so bad. I did like her in Guess..... though. The film was very charming and the final scene was very lovely and powerful. The Accused was just horrific. That rape scene must have been 20 minutes long. Awful, awful sequence. The worst thing is that it is not only based on real events - events like this happen in the world probably any other second. 
  •  I really like Julianne Moore but if she takes that Oscar away from Rosamund I’m gonna be seriously pissed off. There's this movie called Still Alice and she plays a woman who suffers from Alzheimer. This is the Oscar Bait the size of a fucking Hollywood sign. I'm so sick and tired of people getting Oscars because of "overdue" + "baity" combination. Let some fresh blood in.

  •  Really all I want is for Steve Carrel and Rosamund to win. I know they are going to be great and their movies will probably top my end of the year list. They are just too much like the movies I adore for me to hate them.
  • There are new Mockingjay posters. I barely recognized Lawrence with her clothes on, pretense of dignity going on and no...stuff on her face. There's also a ridiculous trailer for Serena. I read the summary of the book once, because I can't find the actual book anywhere and it's a shame because it sounds like a great story, but this trailer in addition to being laughable completely lies about what the story is.
  • That leaked photos scandal won't die. Apparently a bunch of women from some social justice group is now undressing themselves and taking naked pics of themselves to show solidarity with irresponsible and let's just say it - dumb - women who are celebrities and took pics like these to begin with. By all means, have no respect for yourselves just like they did except do it with all the attention whoring  propaganda you can master. 
  • It's like stupid leading the stupid. I want to run. I want to leave. I want to escape from this fucked up planet. I want to get inside a rocket with Stephen Dillane and just live in space. Bye, everyone.
  • You may not think it's possible but the new American Horror Story: Freakshow teaser is even more horrifying than the last. There's also new poster. This is gonna be seriously scary.
  • We also have first trailer with the cast! It looks terrific! My God, Angela Bassett has three breasts!
  •  EW also promotes the shit out of it, here is an interesting spoiler-filled article and there is also a lot about the upcoming season in new issue. "Even freakier than a tri-boob? This season’s main villain, a nasty fella (and murderer) named Twisty the Clown (John Carroll Lynch). The evil Bozo has retired in Jupiter and is not thrilled by the arrival of the freak show. “He’s out to make their lives a living hell,” explains Murphy. “He’s wearing a mask on the lower part of his face and there comes a point in the season where takes the mask off and when you see what’s under you will faint in terror.” - well the nightmares are coming
  •  I saw Sin City: A Dame to Kill For which was nowhere near as terrible as people said it was. Sure, it was nowhere near the quality of the first one but at least it wasn't boring. And Eva Green was absolutely fabulous. I will be very surprised if she won't make my 2014 supporting actress line up. The film is worth seeing just for her.
  • I also saw Made in Dagenham, it was pretty good, but I expected something a little better with a cast like this. Sally Hawkins was good, but I mainly saw it for Rosamund Pike, who was great. Miranda Richardson stole the show, though.
  • I'm planning on making a special post about Rosamund so I'm gonna rewatch An Education tonight. I also have to rewatch Barney's Version, a movie I absolutely hated but she was fantastic in it.
  • Apparently Xavier Dolan is making a movie and Jessica Chastain is gonna be in it. Her part sounds very interesting.
  • Are you guys excited about Royal Baby2? Cause I am! I heard that David Beckham gave William and Kate the advice that they should sleep more. Oh yes. Poor William and Kate with their 100 nannies and beds with sheets made out of jewels and cash or something. At one point last week I didn't sleep for 37 hours and then I slept for an hour and then went to work for 8 hours. So yes, the royal couple are the ones who desperately need sleep.
  • m.brown reviews Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Brittani writes about Only Lovers Left Alive
  • Sofia lists 40 movies she is excited to see this Fall
  • Anna writes about Synecdoche, NY
  • Over at Flixchatter Ted ranks the movies of David Fincher
  • Alex lists top 10 movies shot by cinematographer Peter Andrews or Steven Soderbergh, if you will
  • Nika writes about anticipating Gone Girl
  • RELATED POSTS:

    46 comments:

    1. That poster for Freak Show is INSANE, and the teaser rocks too. The marketing team behind that show is always on point. Thanks so much for the link and comment - glad I could tell you who Peter Andrews is :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I just hope the script is half as good as marketing this year :)

        Yes, now I know! :)

        Delete
    2. Am I the only one who is not a big fan of Julianne Moore? I try to, but I'm just not. I'm putting all of my Oscar votes into Wild with Reese Witherspoon, Steve Carell, Gone Girl, etc. Hopefully one of them won't get snubbed.

      Thanks for that personality test link! I've been looking for a good one forever.

      Oh, I loved The Office series finale. Stanley finally got his solitude.

      I think the two endings thing for Gone Girl is the one where they get back together, Nick isn't officially incriminated and Anne is left alone after she comes back "kidnapped"...and then the book trails a bit with making it feel like an ending until Nick writes his own novel and Anne announces she's pregnant. Those are the only two scenes I could think of....

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I kinda stopped respecting her as much as I did after the flood of roles in shit she was doing lately. I'm also not that fond of that Wild trailer or Witherspoon, it just looks too baity for my liking.

        I really don't know what was Fincher's meaning with that quote. Especially that the script mirrors the book narrative very closely.

        Delete
    3. Very fun read , as usual. Love the stream of consciousness feel of them. And yeah, waiting on Gone Girl, myself.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! So glad there are so many people excited about this one!

        Delete
    4. I had taken the 16 personalities test and I only ever remember what I got because of its Harry Potter version here- http://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinchirico/this-harry-potter-personality-test-will-blow-your-mind#27fb1b7 Lol you're Malfoy. I'm Luna. Expected

      I'm very excited for the Chastain-Dolan movie. I think poor Moore is going to become like Glenn Close and never win anything. Apparently Tatum is totally the best thing about Foxcatcher so it will be interesting to see how this pans out. And yes, that Gone Girl poster is totally random and bad.

      I think I will try out Sin City 2. I saw 300 part 2 for her, I can do this as well.

      I'm very excited for AHS also. I hope it doesn't suck this time.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wow, that's so cool that you are Luna! I always get villains :)

        I actually hope so, because I am so rooting for Pike and Moore did commit some heinous things like starring in that Carrie remake so I cannot say I'm her biggest fan at the moment. I heard many opinions that Tatum is better than Carrel and other way around, but the most common thing I hear is that Tatum dominates the first part of the movie and Carrel the second, so it's fifty fifty, really.

        I haven't seen 300 2 yet but I cannot imagine Sin city 2 being worse than this, so hopefully you will like it at least a bit :)

        Delete
    5. That Gone Girl poster is horrific! Ben looks constipated haha. Although I do agree with you about Tyler Perry, I think Fincher has cast everyone perfectly.
      As for Moore, I honestly think she could win this. Plus she'll have a lot of support from everyone (Jeff Bridges situation). We'll see though.

      So excited for Freakshow! I'm praying it doesn't turn out to be a mess like Coven.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He really does! :P I think Perry throwing Nick 'shut the fuck up' looks is gonna be one of my favorite things in the movie :)

        I hope she won't :/ I want Rosamund up there on that stage!

        I think this one may be a little better, it just seems like there are less plot lines so they may be in better control of the story.

        Delete
    6. Thanks for the link! You sound like me complaining about workplace gossip. I hate it. I also hate The Accused. Terrible fucking movie.

      You really could make better Gone Girl posters!

      Dog shaming is kind of hilarious.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I hate gossip about co-workers. It's unnecessary, annoying and mostly? I just really don't give a fuck :)

        Thank you!

        I love it. I need to make one with Gustav :)

        Delete
    7. Your Dillane Fridays fangirling makes my day(s)!

      ReplyDelete
    8. DAMN!!!!! Angela Bassett looks great. Now that is aging gracefully.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. She really does, but I don't think she is aging! She may be immortal :)

        Delete
    9. Love the AHS poster and new teaser and agree on Gone Girl posters, they all are as terrible as they can be. I hope final poster will be something decent.

      Thanks for the link Margaret.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope we will get a good final poster too. That photo of Nick and Amy at the wedding with broken glass effect would have made a far better and more accurate poster.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    10. So excited for Freak Show! This time it actually looks like it's gonna be scary, which is great :)

      Someone should get you to make the Gone Girl posters. Seriously, your edits are x100 better than what the people who made the official posters did.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh absolutely! Coven wasn't very scary, but BloodyFace in Asylum really freaked me out along with Infantata in first season, that scene in the pilot episode almost gave me nightmares :)

        They should and they should pay me so I could do them at home and not have co-workers :) Thanks so much! I cannot wait until the movie is on DVD and I can make more specific gifsets, so far there's only little footage available since the movie is filled with so many twists.

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the link! Yeah I'm INTJ too, but there's various degrees of it (with the % and all), no one can be simply labelled this or that. Even though I do it all the time, like any good INTJ. :P

      I wanna take whatever LDC has been taking, looks like fun.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I think it's common among lawyers :)

        I think he was high on life ^^

        Delete
    12. AHS promotions always look good, like crazy good. I still remember the one where all black booties were standing on school desks, that looked good and oh, they have the best promo team out there. Now if only this season will live up to the promos via writing as I hope it will.

      Also, Gone Girl looks quite dull with its posters, they could have used some sort of symbolism or even that treasure hunt somehow or.. something. It's just two stone-faced people on the cover..

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh that was an excellent promo, all the ones with schoolgirls from Academy were.

        Honestly, the poster with red panties would be more relevant than this :)

        Delete
    13. LoL! I have one INTJ in my class and you have things in common!
      I am all for talking in school but not when there is really important stuff. Yes, I actually do go there for a reason other than having 6-es
      Basset is a goddess.
      I didn't know what to say about that Gone Girl poster. My first thought was 'Is it so bad that it is good?' And then no, it is just bad.
      At least I hope they don't deviate from the book that much, I want the original story.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You should avoid that person, we tend to be nuts :)

        I think they won't change things too bad, the author of the book wrote the script so unless she used this opportunity to fix things, I think it's gonna be very similar :)

        Delete
    14. Holy shit, how many films have you watched?

      Those dogs made me laugh. I needed that. Thanks, Sati!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not sure, but it was a special week. Plus I promised Fisti I'd do this blogathon thing so I have to see those Best Actress movies.

        You're welcome :)

        Delete
    15. You are right, those Gone Girl posters are awful. I mean, it was such a popular book and going to be a hit movie, you'd think the posters would be twisty and intriguing. I'd be focused more on Rosamund over Ben. I have heard good things about Tyler Perry in this movie and his performance is going to interest me the most. I had pictured Matthew McConaughey in that role (before his comeback) and I think it's a great role, next to Amy.
      I would not be surprised to see Julianne Moore get another nod, but a win, I wouldn't be so sure about. If AHS is featuring an evil clown, I am out, Pennywise ruined me for life. I hate clowns. Thanks a lot Stephen King.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. McConaughey could be a bit distracting, he's too well known to play a supporting character like this, the point is that he is charismatic but the focus is Nick and Amy, at all times. But he did play a lawyer beautifully in Lincoln Lawyer :)

        Oh the scary clown is definitely going to be in this season!

        Delete
    16. Hi Sati. Good rambler. I can't wait to see Gone Girl, but you're right the posters are dreadful. Can't they hire a decent graphic designer? I'm with on Rosamund. Unfortunately, the Oscars and all of these major awards shows are all about giving someone an award b/c "it's their turn." Occasionally they get it right, but not often.

      I do feel bad for the women who's privacy has been violated. I personally wouldn't put naked photos on my phone or anywhere else for that matter, but I don't think people should be shamed for doing so. However, at the same time they shouldn't be surprised if it gets made public. It's a sad state of affairs in the celebrity culture we live in. It's sad that some people feel the need to be extreme exhibitionists and some people feel the need to invade others private lives.

      I think that lighthouse spaceship sounds really nice right about now.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think Moore should be punished for her participation in some of the decade's worst shit. I'm sure she is great in this new movie but it seems like the kind of role that is bait for the sake of bait. Rosamund's role is very fresh and intriguing.

        I think they should be shamed for doing some of the stuff they did on those videos. There's just a point during them when they crossed to being meat not women, of their own volition.

        Delete
      2. I haven't watched any of the videos or seen the photos. However, I've read a few descriptions, which seems to be distasteful. I do agree that these women allowed themselves to be degraded or degrading themselves purposely, which makes no sense to neither you, nor me. I think these people are so in love with themselves and the limelight that they no longer see the world like normal people.

        But I think there is also an issue in society with encouraging the over sexualization of women, while at the same time shaming them...IMHO. Also, there's the matter of the scum who broke into their private phones, which is a crime. So I don't necessarily think the women should be shamed for doing this to themselves (it's akin to shooting themselves in the foot). At the same time, I don't necessarily feel sorry for them, nor will I defend them like Lena Dunham, who insanely compared watching the videos to rape.

        Delete
      3. I don't agree that doing what they did is similar to shooting yourself in the foot. Self-harm does not equal this kind of degradation. It is a crime that the phones were hacked, but I will not feel sorry for these women who took those videos. Lena Dunham is an attention whore, she always has something to say to the press when there is big news even though it has nothing to do with her. Her comments on that Dylan Farrow letter were equally stupid.

        Delete
    17. Oh my god, I can't watch that preview for the new AHS because clowns and creepy circus stuff freaks me out so bad. That poster is already giving me nightmares.

      I am seriously LOLing at Stephen's signature. He's not even trying - that is hilarious. Almost hilarious as Leo's look of joy as he's sniping someone with the Supersoaker. I love it.

      I've really been meaning to read Gone Girl but it just hasn't happened yet. So I'm really looking forward to the film. But you're right, the posters for it are so shoddy. They need to get a better graphic designer! Since they're being so social media savvy they should have at least commandeered one of the fan-made ones from Tumblr.

      Thanks for the link Sati! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's seriously scary stuff :)

        Stephen is so wonderful <333

        The problem is there are not many fan made ones on tumblr, I think I'm the one doing the most graphics there. They should have just use the concept of the book cover with blonde hair on black background, it was so much better than those godawful posters they are releasing.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    18. Hey, I'm an INTJ, too! Seems I'm in good company. :)

      Whoa, those American Horror Story images look pretty twisted. I really should give the show another chance. I saw the first two episodes a while back but didn't stick with it for some reason.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are! :)

        Oh you really should. It doesn't have the greatest writing, but the acting is amazing and the show is very entertaining!

        Delete
    19. The new American Horror Story looks insane! I haven't seen series 2 or 3 yet though so I have some catching up to do!

      And what the hell is that Gone Girl poster?! Looks like a child made it in 15 minutes. Looking forward to the film though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh the second one is terrific and the third one is really fun!

        Haha, it does! The movie will surely be much better!

        Delete
    20. I saw the Stephen Dillane one-man Macbeth that you mention in this post. It must have been eight or nine years ago now - I was fairly young, and studying the play in high school - but I do remember it being pretty bloody impressive. He was standing there in the middle of the stage as the audience came in, and he was just staring at each and every one of us as we filed in. It was actually really unnerving, which is exactly why he was doing it. Oh, and there was a bit where he clambered through the audience. And...that's all I remember.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh my God, I'm so jealous! I'd sell piece of my soul to see him perform live, especially this!

        Delete
    21. Hello Sati! Pardon the late comment. Just slowly logging back to my laptop after blissfuly ‘disconnected’ for 5 days :) Thanks for linking to Ted’s post, really appreciate it.

      WHOA!! Stephen is so hot in that pic from Macbeth, yowza! Ahahaha, that signature, if you can even call it that, is hilarious!

      Ahah, that’d be nice to be sent home at 9 am wouldn’t it? We had a fire drill on 9/11 (of all days!!) but that’s about it. Oh that INTJ quiz sounds interesting, I might do that when I feel like it this week.

      Boy, the American Horror Story posters have been nothing short of provocative and sensational. Seems that TV series have better posters/marketing than movies these days, case in point: Gone Girl. Yes that poster IS awful.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hope you had a great trip!

        Even his signature is one of a kind :)

        I barely make it home at 4 pm if I haul ass, seeing them leave in the morning was like torture :)

        Oh totally, thank God some movie trailers are still awesome but the posters these days are awful.

        Delete
    22. I don't think Carell and Pike have a good chance of winning Oscars this year, but I wonder if Carell could benefit from vote-splitting between Keaton, Cumberbatch and Redmayne. I'm guessing one of those will emerge as the frontrunner (my money's on Cumberbatch), though it's possible Carell could pull an upset. Best Actress is likely Moore's to lose, unless the film is too depressing for the Academy.

      Yeah, Sin City 2 wasn't THAT bad, and I did like Eva Green's performance.

      I've been meaning to watch Made in Dagenham for ages. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Made in Dagenham is definitely worth seeing, especially because of the committed performances, I hope you'll get to see it!

        Delete