Friday, October 3, 2014

(151) Forbidden Things + links

By Sati. Friday, October 3, 2014
  • Very dark days. I didn't even have the time for Stephen movie this week. On the bright side I'll have a bit more free time next week so I will watch more movies and you can expect American Horror Story Recaps, last year I kinda gave up after few episodes but Freakshow looks much more coherent than Coven. 
  • A big part of my strength is wasted on attempting not to talk to my co-workers about Gone Girl. I'll probably mention it to the girls I work with that they should read/see it - we deal with divorce cases daily and by extension - asshole husbands, so it's just perfect - but I have to stop talking before I utter 'I LOVE Amy Dunne", "Amy is so awesome", "My God Amy <333". I'm quiet, organized and I don't really take breaks, I actually eat lunch while I type my assignments with the other hand so people already think I'm strange. The last thing I need is for them to know just how fucked up I am.
  • I'd ask you to keep your fingers crossed for me to pass my exam on Tuesday but that's pointless, I mean you may as well keep your fingers crossed for Stephen coming over here to bang me. 
  • Come to think of it the latter is probably more possible.
  • I'm just gonna sit down today and watch Haven. It looks promising from the above gifsets. In terms of all the Dillane-ness. Although I'm drinking wine now for the first time in more than a week, which is a long time, so I may not make it, I'm very tired and this is the first time I'm chilling in a long while.
  • I did find the time to make second part of King Stannis' expressions gifset though.
  • Look. Look how cute:
  • I envy people who got to see the movie there on the opening night of NYFF and actually be around all that brilliance. The cast, Fincher and Flynn had so many things to say after the movie. I especially loved how humorous Pike's comments were about how David would have hated her new comedy movie and that since Ben was working out to get in shape for Batman during filming of Gone Girl, by the time they shot their shower scene 'she was in the shower with Batman'.
  • The funniest thing about that whole premiere is this picture:
  • Look at Witherspoon's face. You just know she wanted to play Amy so that's why she bought the rights for the movie. But she would be so spectacularly awful in the part they had no choice but give it to someone else and even she had to agree to this.
  •  Ladies and Gentlemen, Gone Girl apparently features the rarest, most seldom sight seen in cinema. That thing that we have seen with our own eyes but we never actually get to see in the cinema anymore (that is unless you're committing a felony). That mystical, mythological, elusive to the cinematic screen sight.
  • I'm talking of course about a man's penis.
  • I shit you not there is a guide online on how to spot Affleck’s dick in Gone Girl. And people call it ‘objectification’. Are you kidding? With the inequality in female/male nudity we need at least 10 A list actors’ dicks a month to make up for it.
  • With Affleck playing Nick this is kind of a metadick. A dick of a dick.
  • This is so absurd isn't it? We reached such state where you see more aliens than penises on screen nowadays. This is why I adore Ewan McGregor. He's been bringing dick back to the screen for 20 years now.
  • Moving on from the dick talk, my Gone Girl gifs are getting so many notes on tumblr with the release of the movie. I also made this gifset of Amy. I'm really proud of it, here's a preview:
  • I'll see the movie at the earliest next Saturday. Do you people realize I have not been waiting for a movie like this since Black Swan, my number one movie of all time? This is really serious.
  • Behold the princess on the cover of Variety. Rosamund was everywhere this week including Tonight show and Late Night and even though I never watch these I did it this week just for her. She is so lovely!
  • She told Meyers how they shot 30 takes of the scene where she is pushed against the wall. She said 'David, I'm seeing stuff!' and Fincher finally stopped the madness. Good God, man.
  • I heard of all those fucked up additions to the movie that weren't in the book. One of those includes a hammer. Another includes surveillance footage. I heard the bottle moment from the book is in. SPOILERS My vagina actually hurt when I read that part. That was so gross. Come on Amy, couldn't you come up with something less gross? I mean I like wine too but girl this is pushing it a bit far. END OF SPOILERS.
  • Anyways here's Ros on tonight show:
  • The story of her finding out she got the part is really something to witness.
  • You know we all complain about critics but when the ordinary folk see the movie some truly retarded claims come out, mind you critics follow - Slant magazine for example - calling the story misogynistic. I have no time or energy to explain to you just how ridiculous that claim - in terms of this story - is. Nick is one of the most pitiful, spineless weak men I've ever read about. I think even if Stephen played him I'd want to kick him in the nuts. I'd quite literally rather go celibate if my only other choice was to bang Nick. That's all I'm gonna say here. But there will be a post with my fierce opinions about Amy, the ending of the story and basically this entire fucked up society we live in once I see the movie and review it. This post is gonna be additional one, deciphering Amy and how women are treated by society, husbands and movie audience.
  • That post I wrote is actually quite dark and pessimistic. I also think it's the best thing I wrote, it's kinda like my version of Cool Girl monologue only spreading to the way people react to female characters and women in general and the crap we have to put up with (it's also quite personal and you'll run away screaming when I name all the things that make me relate to Amy)
  • I just want to say thank God for Chris Pratt and Anna Farris. That's one of the few couples that make me believe in marriage:
  • That's footage from Chris' SNL episode which, you guessed right, I still didn't have the time to see.
  • Ah, speaking of marriage. Clooney. You traitor. A moment of silence, please.
  • I'd rewatch Carnivale before Freakshow but I'm too afraid.
  • Here are the opening credits for the new season:
  • To paraphrase the great Malcolm Tucker - that's not just a clown, that's a MEGA clown.
  • And here is the actual trailer for the show with the first horrific glimpse of John Carroll Lynch as Twisty the Clown:
  • Ryan Murphy tweeted that Jessica Lange will sing Lana Del Rey's song this season. Well, this is awesome.
  • I'm not a big fan of of the final Interstellar trailer. It's just...too calm.
  • Now this TV spot is another story:
  • That is one hot countdown.
  • This is so ridiculous that perhaps you heard of it - in France they will put all the cigarettes in the same looking, same size packs because they think it will discourage people from smoking. I realize given how most of my readers is from America, the country where you get more meth addicts than smokers (probably) and where you also have horrible obesity issue and yet people sanctimoniously go 'how can people smoke in this day and age?', you probably won't understand it, but really this is just madness. 
  • I smoke. In Europe lots of people do, we do not have weed everywhere . So I'm not sure you can appreciate that, but why are grown up people who are free to consume whatever they want treated like kids? I've been smoking the same brand for years but hey once they change the pack they think I'm done? I don't smoke because of the goddamn color of the pack, or even because I have to. I don't smoke during my 8h at work, I don't smoke in the mornings. I NEVER smoke around my dog. I smoke when I read or watch a movie in the evening or talk with my friends at the pub (but of course you need to go outside because oh, the humanity). I like to do that. And with my stress levels and sleep deprivation I'm not gonna fucking live long anyways, so just let me do what I like while I'm still here.
  • If they ever put all the smokers in quarantine thanks to EU because clearly we are lower than heroin and meth addicts, can someone send me food or something?
  • This is just fucked up, though. One of the most popular US shows is about cooking meth and MPAA actually restricts the ages of people who can watch the movie because it has 'historical smoking'. Good God perhaps I live in another time than everyone else and I just don't know it. I mean I have a flip phone, mp3 player and a VCR. Shall I start making paintings in caves and sell them to museums as precious artifacts?
  • Apparently penises in movies and smokers are the biggest evils of the world.
  • Check out me being out of my element in the first entry for Fisti's Twice a Best Actress where we talk about Katherine Hepburn
  • Jack writes about Gone Girl the movie I'm literally dying to see. No, seriously I fucking can't deal.
  • Josh hands out his awards for 2014 (so far)
  • Angela reviews Boyhood
  • FeelingFuzzier chooses 5 favorite Friends episodes
  • Katy writes about the curious case of Ben Affleck's career
  • Ruth shares awesome pics for Fisti's recast-athon
  • Alex unveils great poster for his movie Wait
  • Alex also lists 10 unsung performances of Fincher's films. A BRILLIANT list.
  • m.brown reviews 300: Rise of an Empire
  • Wendell reviews Carrie
  • Courtney writes about Alien 3
  • RELATED POSTS:

    48 comments:

    1. My mom is going to see Gone Girl tonight. She knows NOTHING about the movie and told me when she was discussing going to the movies with her friend, "I'm seeing some movie about a missing child?" I said, "Mom, it's called Gone Girl and it's not about a missing child. That much I will tell you..." The saddest part of this story, is not that she has no idea what she'' seeing, is that she will see it before me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That is so cool that your mom is seeing that, I wish my mom would, I think every woman should witness that story.

        Delete
      2. An update: My Mom called me and told me that she really enjoyed the movie. Those kind of movies are usually not up her alley (she likes kid movies and musicals) and she said she was glad she saw it.

        Delete
      3. Awesome! I think a lot of women would enjoy this story, my mother doesn't much like thrillers but I hope she goes to see this one.

        Delete
    2. Gone Girl was definitely good, but surprisingly nothing what I expected. Pike is definitely my new favorite girl crush (as apparently yours). HOWEVER, I wasn't too keen with Ben Affleck in the movie nor NPH.

      I've never seen any of the AHS, but I'm stoked for this season. Freaks (1939) is so fascinatingly horrifying that I can't stay away from anything Vaudville-related. Great post and thanks for the link :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm never keen on Affleck, he just looks like a lost dog and not the cute kind. That's a horrible thing to say :)

        I think this season will be good, hope you''ll watch it!

        No problem, it was an awesome article!

        Delete
      2. Affleck just didn't feel Fincher-worthy. Someone said something about LeoDicaprio teaming up with Fincher; I would have much rather seen me some Leo tbh.

        Delete
      3. I think Leo wouldn't fit the role, to be honest Nick is such a shit I cannot even imagine which actor could have played him :P

        Delete
    3. Hi there, I'm from italy, all I am gonna say is.... God, THAT thing about the smokers. Loved it. I swear i'll find you, and I'll marry you

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Please do, I do not want to be a spinster and get eaten by my Yorkie after I die :)

        Delete
    4. Ewan McGregor and his dick forever.
      That is all.

      ReplyDelete
    5. The dick thing is so stupid. Like... who cares. Plus, in this film, we're talking about maybe 4 frames of cock. Which is a blink.

      Freakshow looks nuts. Fuckin' Kathy Bates, man. And Lynch... wow. Thanks so much for the two links, that's so kind of you!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, it's still something. The nudity being censored is ridiculous but the fact that male nudity seems so forbidden while female's is common is troubling.

        Oh it's not kind, these are just brilliant! Cannot wait for your movie and the performances you chose for the list are awesome

        Delete
    6. Wow, the opening credits of AHS are reeeeally cool. They differentiated it more than in previous seasons. I want to go to a circus so badly.
      Well in France the government thinks that it should also tell you what kind of healthcare you get, how much paying taxes is fair, and since they have limited its populace's freedom so much why not go further? I am not a smoker and I don't like people smoking around me, but that happens so rarely and what I dislike even more is government meddling into our lives. This is why I admire the US's history and principles, although its current administration doesn't give a fuck about those things either.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I like how the music is different too and they added that playful bell in.

        Healthcare thing is fucked up too but I don't like going to doctors either way and when I absolutely have to I never go to the state hospitals I rather pay outrageous money and go see someone with independent practice because for this kind of money at least they won't be judgmental asshole.

        I do hate doctors, though, they are such horrible people. They think they are so fucking far and above all the others.

        Delete
      2. People actually complain about the intro on Youtube. Like...WHAT THE FUCK! It is perfect! They expect it to be almost the same like in previous seasons while the story is different. And the soundtrack is brilliant! They made the intro really fresh this year.

        Absolutely, my mom is a nurse in a private hospital and it is a very good idea to go there instead of public ones.
        I do like doctors, most are quiet and just do their job and others actually enjoy doing what they are doing, which is something I admire. While some do think that they are above all others - explaining to you stuff you figured out before they say it - that's unavoidable. :)

        Delete
      3. And good luck on your exam. :) I got through a ton of tests but now I have 3 day rest, so it is much easier for me.

        Delete
      4. The thing I don't like it's that they are so judgmental - I have a friend who actually had gynecologist freak out on her that's she is not having sex. Good God, it's nobody's business but hers.

        I don't think any luck can help me I just hope I'll survive and it's gonna be Friday before I know it, I really should have taken the whole week off instead of Monday-Wednesday :/

        Delete
    7. I finally heard the GG soundtrack and... OH!!!! It's fucking good. "Like Home" is my favorite track on the album.

      Any idea on how long Clooney will be married? I give 18 months.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So glad you like it! Like Home is amazing, I love those tracks that sound like Badalamenti, out of those my fav is Appearances, it's so soothing but mysterious too.

        Long enough for him to make his political career, I think. I assume he wants to do something in that field at last and respectable lawyer for a wife seems like a good idea

        Delete
    8. I did not see Affleck's dick in Gone Girl, and I was looking for it! It wasn't there. I didn't have a problem with the added scenes in GG. They fit with the narrative.

      Chris Pratt's SNL episode sucked. They gave him nothing to work with.

      Honestly, I don't even smoke and I think the anti smoking things are excessive. You can't smoke within 20 feet of some doorways here. Really? People are going into a bar to murder their livers but God forbid they possibly breathe in smoke in the 2 seconds it takes to walk through a door. I grew up with smokers, deal with it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think this may need some slow mo treatment on DVD :)

        Really? Oh that's disappointing :/

        The thing with the anti smoking in pubs is so fucking ridiculous they actually even sell cigarettes in pubs to begin with. Even making a smoke free section would be odd but this is just mad - I seriously need to wear a coat and go outside whenever I want a cigarette, it's not a bother in the summer when you sit outside but when it's fucking freezing during winter it's absolutely mad and you are standing outside with dozens of other smokers like a pariah

        Delete
    9. I envy everyone who saw Gone Girl as well, but I'm happy that they at least enjoyed the film. I read some of the negative reviews for it and I was like... seriously? Apparently someone said that Pike was too 'robotic' in the role. I haven't seen it, but I already know that that is not true AT ALL.

      I cannot wait for Freakshow. Jessica Lange + Lana Del Rey = Perfection

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. To call Ros robotic when it comes to Amy is just so hilariously awful, I know there is a scene during which everyone feels such sympathy for her character.

        Freakshow really looks very entertaining!

        Delete
    10. Good luck on your exam! I can't wait for Gone Girl; I'm hoping to see it next week. The gif of Chris Pratt and Anna Farris might have been the best thing on the SNL episode. I have no idea how they can make Chris Pratt not funny. Also, how are they going to discourage smoking by putting it in similar packaging? Here, they put grotesque pictures in cigarette boxes to discourage smoking but the smoking rate is still pretty high.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you!

        That's a shame about that SNL episode :/

        Delete
    11. Good luck on your exams! Thank you for the link! <3

      Why haven't I listened to the Gone Girl soundtrack yet?? I guess I'm waiting to hear it first in the movie. Seven day countdown begins!

      I usually bow out of SNL before Weekend Updates so I guess I didn't miss too much. That gif set is adorable!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you and you're welcome!

        7 days here too, God I hate waiting.

        Delete
    12. Yes, I don't get how anyone could complain about Affleck's nudity when they show every crack and crevasse on women all the time. These people should watch 'Game of Thrones.' I think the anti-smoker thing is even worse in the U.S. My dad and sister smoke and they're both treated like lepers. But my dad has been smoking for 60 years, so he really doesn't give a flip. He will light up around small children or anyone else for that matter. People of course proceed to give him the "demon face."

      I'm going to see 'Gone Girl' tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait. I was listening to an interview with Fincher about the reasons he casted Pike. It was a very interesting interview. He said that he couldn't get a read on her and that she was an only child herself, so she was the perfect "Amy."

      SPOILER:

      Although I myself never liked Amy in the book. Nick was unlikeable and douchey, but Amy was a psychopath... I'll be excited to see how Fincher handles the material.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. 60 years? Wow, that's great that he is not having any health issues, I am smoking for close to a decade but I am trying to limit myself to max 5 cigs a day, it's hard, though, I mean seriously you can get run over or something so it's dangerous in this world either way

        I liked that Amy was brilliant, that always makes for entertaining characters. Nick apart some of his book observations was really boring.

        Delete
      2. Yes, my dad is in his 70s and he smokes a pack a day. He has typical health issues of someone in his 70s, but he's still going. We tried to get him to stop at some point for health concerns, but he wouldn't. He said he wants to be happy. He's happiest when he smokes. Like you said, people die every day of various causes. You might as well enjoy the life you have. So live and let live, I say. Everyone needs a vice.

        I just saw 'Gone Girl' today. It was great. The cast was wonderful. Like so many book adaptations there were things left out, but I think Fincher captured the essence of the novel.

        Delete
      3. That's great about your dad. And a pack a day is not that bad, I know people who smoke 2 packs for years, but I don't think I'd ever get to such a point, that's a small fortune, also if I ever smoke a half on a party or something I just feel horribly sick the next day.

        That's awesome that you liked it! I hope you'll write something about it!

        Delete
    13. Sati, I know you'll feel my pain about this - my partner went and saw Gone Girl without me! Haha, I was so pissed! It was like crazy town here when I found out. He did say sorry though. I can't wait to try and spot Ben Affleck's dick!

      Here in Australia we have the cigarette thing too, they call it 'plain packaging laws'. And shops can't have the cigarette packets on display, they have to have these grey coloured metal doors over any displays so that people can't actually see the packet before they buy it. Plus the pictures of gangrenous feet and teeth and mangled foetuses on the packets. It's kind of crazy and a total nanny state thing. Last I heard they were thinking of raising taxes on smokes here too. Nothing better than restricting the rights of people who do completely legal things! I totally get where you're coming from!

      Best of luck for your legal exam! You can do it Sati!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. HE DID WHAT?! Good God I'd kick him out of the bed for few days :)

        The insane thing is that alcohol is cheaper than smokes. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure 0,5l of vodka is more harmful than cigarettes and there are absolutely no warnings on the liquor bottles. I mean liquor can get you drunk and you can run over someone, cigarettes don't do that.

        Thank you!

        Delete
    14. Awesome RF, as always!! Thanks so much for the link, too, I knew you'd love my pick of miss Bassett. Man I'm super impressed by Rosamund, she's just sooo cool! He..he.. 'she was in the shower with Batman' too funny! I have to admit I kept thinking of that as well as I was watching it.

      Chris Pratt and Anna Farris are so adorable! Proof that not every Hollywood marriages are doomed, well hopefully they last as long as Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson! As for Clooney, we'll see how long they'd last but that Amal lady is beautiful!

      Now that Gone Girl's out, can't wait for Interstellar!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I cannot wait to read your GG review!

        I don't look to anything as much as to Gone Girl, maybe Foxcatcher but it looks horribly intense and bleak, but I'm very curious about the performances there

        Delete
      2. I'm surprised you're not stoked for Interstellar given your love for Matthew M ;) Hey, best of luck on your exam btw, you go girl!

        Delete
      3. Well he is the only reason I'm seeing it :) I don't know it just looks a bit like Inception and this is not my kind of a flick, I like my movies surreal not so...hard scientific.

        Delete
      4. Ah I see. Well the trailers have been so cryptic, I honestly don't know what to expect with Interstellar but I'm VERY intrigued!

        Delete
      5. I'm gonna see it for sure, but it kinda looks like Inception 2.0 for me in terms of characters and the general vibe of the movie :) But who knows, maybe it will wow me

        Delete
    15. Thanks so much for the link Sati. I saw Gone Girl a few nights ago and I LOVED IT! I can't wait to read your review. Rosamund Pike was truly magnificent. Also good luck with your exam :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So cool that you loved it! I really hope I'll see it this week!

        Delete
    16. I'll hopefully see Gone Girl this Saturday as well and I might bring somebody with me who can calm me down before and after because shit is going to break my brain!

      The smoking thing is a hit and miss for me, my mom smokes a lot, and I mean A LOT and it bothers me because she does it in our house. I dislike the smell of smoke but ironically, I smoke myself. Have been for years and will continue to smoke. I usually have two a day or none at all... this depends on what I'm doing, and where I'm going.

      I liek that they made a law that prohibits smoking indoors but now the darn e-sigarettes are more popular and a literally started caughing (being a smoker) because a man used his e-sigarette at an airport! How.. mature.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm taking my friend who still didn't read the book. He's a guy. This is my revenge, because for men, this movie? horror flick :)

        I hate those e-cigarrates! I mean what in the mother of crap is that? And people even use them on buses and everywhere, really, even in public places. It's just so awful, i cannot have actual cigarette, even outside sometimes but they can smoke that shit wherever they want? Ridiculous.

        Delete
    17. Clooney's news broke my heart. :( Can't wait for /your/ cool girl monologue!!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Thanks again for the link! :)

      I don't smoke, but changing the packs makes no sense. And the ratings thing is ridiculous. Any child can watch an older movie - that has no smoking warning - and may or may not be influenced by characters who smoke. Smoking has been in movies for decades. Why add a ratings warning now?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I have no idea what the hell is happening. I think it's this health kick many have - that's great that people do that but if others want to make bad decisions, let them. Hell I know smoking is bad but it helps me relax so I should be able to wreck my health without people going out of their way to make those who make other choices than them feel bad about it. I swear they treat smokers worse than convicts.

        Delete