Friday, October 10, 2014

(152) Gone and Back + links

By Sati. Friday, October 10, 2014
  • First thing is first - how do you like my new blog header?
  • How did my exam go? 'If bees leave a hive and settle in a another hive, who is the owner of the bees?". Actual question on the law exam. I felt like Nicolas Cage in Wicker Man.
  • I knew some stuff, but I'm sure not enough to pass. Oh Jesus, I'm gonna finally pass when I'll be like old Rose from Titanic right? I'm gonna go there on my wheelchair with an IV and I'll still get a bee question or how many fucking goats you need to leave when you are taking stuff from people when they are in the debt. 1 cow, 2 goats, 3 sheep. See the kind of shit I know? AND FOR WHAT?
  • Also every year there are questions from EU. I fucking hate EU so I only read the acts once. and of course this year there were 10 questions. I answered European Commission for every single one, thinking, hey, it's gotta be the correct one for at least 2.
  • Yep, that's my knowledge after 4 months of studying and 13 000 of test questions done. But no worries, it only costs 1/2 of my monthly salary to take it, you can only take it once a year and each year I feel like such a loser because after all some people manage to pass at their first try. But hey...can they make pretty movie-inspired collages like I do? No. Silver linings, people.
  • Well at least I didn't faint. Some guys fainted. Then, during the exam, I sat next to the bathroom so I heard several guys threw up. And they say women are a weaker sex. Really?
  • I finally saw Gone Girl today. Now think of my sacrifice here - I work non stop at the office. 8h non stop, I even type with one hand and eat lunch with another. I had 11 volumes of legal acts to read and fucking comprehend (try to understand people who use children as pawns in divorce cases, I dare you, try) just for one case. I leave office and I haul ass to get to the ATM (it also involved a shitload of stairs) and then haul ass to the cinema to buy a ticket. Oh and I slept like 3h today again. That's fucking determination.
  •  It was exquisite. I cannot give it the edge over Black Swan, which is basically my biography - just replace ballet with law and lesbianism with Stephen Dillane movies - but mother of God it did surpass Fight Club. But you know if I ever get married...new biography? No, no. I abhor weak men. I'd annihilate someone like Nick on first date. And that bottle thing? That's where I draw the line. Seriously, that's where I draw it. SPOILERS Framing your shitty cheating husband? YOU GO GIRL. Killing your weird ex? *puts on formal clothes and glasses, opens a legal book* Well, technically, he kept her there locked up. But a bottle up your vagina - in movie's case - ass? Dude. Not cool. END OF SPOILERS
  •  Fucking Ben Affleck, man. When I was reading the book I hated Nick. And what did Ben do? He made him sympathetic! I actually felt bad for the guy! It's probably because the most despicable thing Nick does is only in 3 scenes in the movie as opposed to his inner monologues in book but yeah, Affleck did a hell of a job.
  • Also, yep his penis is in. That Jennifer Garner is a lucky gal. I think Affleck looks like a lost dog but that? That was substantial.
  • Look for my post on Amy this Monday and my review of the movie next weekend, or maybe this weekend, I don't know I've gotta write things and censor a shitload for people not to run away screaming.
  • That last shot was unsettling! It's as if her face changed! I saw it few days back on tumblr and didn't even recognize her! That's some masterclass acting right there. I actually shivered when I saw that. Rosamund was just so fucking flawless, it was as if Amy stepped out of the book onto the movie screen.
  • Amy <333!!
  • David is team Amy!
  • And how about the surveillance fake out? That was brilliant! And the cool girl with the whole montage - the shot in the car we see in the beginning is hands down my all time favorite Fincher shot. I was smiling like a fucking idiot when I saw that scene. The guy few seats away from me must have shat his pants. By the way, the entire audience was paralyzed when end credits came in. When the guys stood up, they walked as if someone punched them in their dicks.
  • I really really really loved Amy's short hair cut. I used to have a hair cut just like this. I want it now. But it took me so long to grow my hair! Ah, it's such a hard decision!
  • Here's my gifset of Amy depicting one of my fav lines from the novel. Yes, I used Enemy footage again.
  • Check out Rosamund imitating Fincher's frowny face
  • Game of Thrones set news keep focusing on Croatian set. I don't give a crap about Lena Headey on set selfies, my God, can you just give me one picture of Stephen? Just one. He doesn't even have to be naked. Come on.
  • I saw little bits of Haven - it looks like it's a shit movie but Stephen looks so delicious in it. I need to watch the whole thing and gif it. 
  • Meanwhile...
  • Are you going to teach us about science, Jon?
  • Oh my God, is Idris kidding?
  • Twin Peaks is coming back! They are making new season and it will air on Showtime in 2016! This is gonna be great but how will they do this without Frank Silva?
  • All right let's talk about American Horror Story: Freakshow. I know I was going to write recaps but I can't find the energy. I had some left yesterday but I used it to wash my hair - so I wouldn't look homeless in the cinema.
  • So far it's looking good, it was kinda slow but at least it wasn't the usual messy thing Murphy throws at us. But those orgy opium and fingering scenes were really awful - in terms of how much of an attention whore the creators are and how they will threw anything shocking at people at the expense of logic, common sense or decency just to get people to tweet 'oh my God' or something this was the lowest of the low.
  • But the acting is really good - Paulson is lovely playing a woman with two heads and two personalities, Lange is just amazing - the look on her face after Conroy insulted her singing (that bitch!) was heartbreaking and John Carroll Lynch is super creepy as the clown. There was even a Zodiac homage where he kills a couple in broad daylight, just like the lake scene in Zodiac.
  • I've been rewatching Veep because if I rewatch The Thick of It again this month I'll need to check myself into mental institution. You know what character I loved this season? Chris Meloni's Ray. He was hysterical. And the whole debate episode was awesome! The London one had my fav quotes though:
  • - "There's a whole lot of guys who never came home. Good guys. Here's to those guys."
    - Holy fucking Christ. What is that, Ray?
  • Ooh I saw 300: The Rise of an Empire. The movie was so goddamn boring, where did they find the main guy? He had no charisma at all. Eva Green was the only watchable part of the film, she was great in yet another of her boobs and evil roles. She...deserves better, yes?
  •  I'm gonna wrap this up, because it's almost midnight and it's time for wine and more Veep, I promise I'll write some posts next week, it's been so freaking dead around here this week.
  • Anna, Ruth, Nick, Linsday, m.brown, Anna and Alex review Gone Girl
  • Meanwhile Courtney lists top 5 reasons to the movie
  • Over at Fisti's read our thoughts on Sally Field's Oscar wins

  • RELATED POSTS:

    36 comments:

    1. SO glad you like the movie. I was really hoping you'd love it. When you left that last comment on my site (about how Nick wasn't sympathetic in the book) I thought you might enjoy that nice change in the film. I need to see it again ASAP. And thanks so much for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Nick was a real asshole in the book, I think a lot of how sympathetic he was in the movie was due to very little screen time and info given about his affair.

        Delete
    2. That header is fantastic!!! "Man of my dreams". Hell yeah these people can't make pretty movie-inspired collages like you. Damn! It sounds like you really loved Gone Girl. So psyched to read your review. It took me almost a week to finish mine. Your exam sounds freaking intense!!! Good job in getting it over with :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Yeah I'm gonna try to publish either of the posts on Monday, but they will be long :)

        Delete
    3. Quickly skipping over the Gone Girl spoilers, since I seem to be the only person in the Blogiverse who hasn't seen it yet. :-) I LOVE the new header!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I hope you will like the movie once you see it!

        Delete
    4. AAAAHHHHHHHHH THAT SPIDER IN YOUR BANNER!! Lol

      Affleck was great as Nick. I thought he was spot on, because I did find Nick sympathetic in the book. A total douche, yes, but I did feel bad for him at times. I'm glad you got to see it. I want to see it again.

      All these Croatia spoilers are indeed getting old. Give me some Ireland/Iceland ones.

      I can't wait for your Amazing Amy post!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It seriously almost looks like they are only filming in Croatia. Goddammit, I hate how they think Lena shits gold and everyone only cares about pics of her and Maisie. Even set spoilers for this thing are unfair and biased.

        I hope you'll like my post! I think book readers will have better understating of it, since the movie didn't really touch on Amy's and Nick's desire to be perceived as perfect as much as the novel did

        Delete
    5. Okay, I think you need to stop saying your job sucks. I mean, all that goat-related knowledge is fucking priceless. And badass, too. THE FUCKING BEES! That shit's brilliant. I answer 'what's a noun' every day of my life. Every. Day. I shit you not.

      Thanks for the link, and I love that you loved the movie. It was so good, can you imagine if you knew nothing going in? It was intense, to say the least.

      Ooohhh, sorry about 300. I hoped you liked Eva Green (and her magical boobs), even if the movie was a turd. Obviously, I'm just happy to see something that isn't a room full of eighth graders. But, yeah...that guy? Testiclees? Kind of a stiff, no?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's just the worst. I wonder what fucked up questions I'll get next year if I manage to survive another year.

        I cannot even imagine how much fun it must have been when you knew nothing! I bet the twists were quite....powerful :) It was still powerful even knowing the twists, it was so beautifully adapted.

        This guy was the worst. At least Butler had crazy charisma.

        Delete
    6. I don't know how you do it. Non-stop work, crazy exams and you're able to run a successful movie blog. Very impressive!

      Great to hear you loved Gone Girl. I decided at the last minute that I wanted to read the book first, and I just finished it today. I don't know if I've ever read a book that fast, and now I'm crazy excited to see the film. That is one hell of a story... and it seems like a perfect match for David Fincher, too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I wish I could sleep more, though. Or you know - passed the exam :)

        The book is so excellent, overall the movie doesn't have it's complexity but it does some things even better than the book.

        Delete
    7. Wahoo, thanks for the link love Sati! I can't believe I watched Gone Girl and missed out on seeing Ben Affleck's dick. What a great film though. Definitely going to read the book on my next plane trip! And I love your new header!

      I cannot wait for Twin Peaks. I think I'm going to have a heart attack from excitement before it airs though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! To be fair i only saw it because I read that guide on where to look :) I'm sure once the movie leaks or is on DVD the first thing that shows up on tumblr is gonna be Ben's Ben :)

        Delete
    8. Wow, that blog header must have taken you quite some time, because it looks so good.
      People vomiting on the exam, must have been stressful.
      I am not sure why the hell did Kit put glaces on while wearing a suit...even if he has some sight problems he would be okay a couple of hours without them.
      That clown killer in AHS is scary as hell. If I were still little I would be so terrified.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It didn't take that much time, the more I make, the faster it is to make them :)

        I think he has some hipster thing going on, he wears these A LOT.

        The clown is scary, that balloon making scene was intense.

        Delete
      2. It sure was.
        I really need to watch GG now, but some of my friends prefer 'The Maze'. They have even cast a girl looking like Stewart. I hate that teenage-impossible love-crazy hot actors&actresses thing going on lately that girls go crazy about.

        Delete
      3. I don't find anyone younger than me to be attractive so I'm immune to all those young adult novels adaptation actors:)

        Delete
    9. I did not get to see Gone Girl yet, I hope to see it soon. It sounds like the law exam is mind numbing and I hope you passed. When do you find out the results?
      When Idris posted that sexy workout video, I could not function. Since he and Richard Madden are working on the same film, Richard should post one. Better yet, do a service to female kind and post one together.
      That Clown on Freak Show is scary. I did not think any clown could top Pennywise, but here we are...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I didn't pass, unfortunately, but there's still next year. And the one after that...

        That movie is gonna be crazy hot :)

        Delete
      2. ((hugs)) Sorry to hear that. I will read your Amy/Gone Girl analysis after I see the movie...hopefully soon. Might go by myself without the husband.

        Delete
      3. Oh it's OK, I'm in no rush to go through monthly tests and huge books again so it's not a big deal. I learn a lot in my job so it's not a waste of time :)

        Haha, this is a good idea, the movie freaks men out :)

        Delete
    10. That WAS substantial! Loved this post, and I'm glad you got to see Gone Girl! Your law school woes and hectic schedule sounds too intense for me to handle!

      I LOVED AHS Freakshow! I'm a huge fan of 1932's "Freaks" so naturally this theme pulled me in.

      Thanks for the link :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is too intense for me to handle too :/

        Freakshow is promising so far, I just wish they would drop the shock value nonsense

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    11. Ahh, I adore your new header! I'm sure I'll love it even more after I watch the film :P I cannot wait to read your review :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! The review should be up sometime next week

        Delete
    12. Happy you got to see Gone Girl! Rosamund was exquisite. Look forward to reading your review! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh she was just amazing. She embodied Amy so well

        Delete
    13. The return of Twin Peaks... I hope it's good as I plan to watch the entire series next year as part of something that I can't reveal until maybe... next year.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope it's good too, it can go wrong so easily :/

        Delete
    14. Thanks for the link Sati! Firstly, LOVE your new header, well ALL of your graphics on Gone Girl have been incredible!

      Whew, you survived your exam!! AND still managed to fit in Gone Girl amidst your crazy schedule. You. Go. Girl! Man I hope you get some kind of rest soon though.

      I’ve been curious to see how you like the film. Well Pike certainly didn’t disappoint didn’t she? And Affleck finally got well-deserved kudos for his performance too. Ahah, I didn’t see his penis, but I’ll be sure to pay more attention later on Bluray, ha..ha..ha.. Did you hear Jennifer Gardner on ELLEN saying it was her *gift* to womankind to let her husband strip naked, I guess she wasn’t kidding :P

      Oh yeah I think Fincher is Team Amy too, but Nick certainly wasn’t as horrible of a man I thought he’d be.

      OMG, Idris!!! Is he training for Bastille Day? As if he weren’t enough to render womankind to mush, Richard Madden apparently joins the cast. Man who cares about the plot w/ a cast like THAT?

      Fun stuff, as always!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome and thank you!

        Well it's all hectic enough with my job, I cannot believe some people work more than 40h a week, that's gotta be some sort of nightmare. At least I don't need to study for a month or two.

        Yeah I saw that Jen interview, it's very cool of her that she got him to do this, though I bet he wasn't embarrassed - he certainly has nothing to be embarrassed about with this...area :P

        I think he is training for that, I'm sure the plot will be shit but I'm definitely seeing that movie ^^

        Delete
    15. Glad you loved Gone Girl. Right now, I'd place it beneath Se7en and Fight Club (and maybe The Social Network), but I need to give it another look. Pike was flawless though, and Affleck was excellent.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Same placement here, between Seven and FC! I really hope Pike at least gets nominated for every major award.

        Delete