Friday, January 2, 2015

(164) The psychopath, the Judge, the Guest, the walrus and the twins + links

By Sati. Friday, January 2, 2015

  • Welcome in 2015! Let's start the year with the hottest cinematic moment of 2014, as pictured above.
  • My 2015 started quite nice with me finding out that Mark will be on Graham Norton Show on January 9th along with James McAvoy and Meryl Streep. Also this month we have Golden Globes (a reminder that this year I only have a day off after Oscars so I'm only gonna be watching Oscars live, I will however see all the ceremonies the next day after I came home from work, so please don't ask me if/when I'll livetweet them), the return of Shameless and the final season of Parks and Rec is starting.
  • I seriously cannot believe Parks is ending. I love that show. I'm currently into a rewatch of it.
  • Look what I made! It's a quote from Fight Club about Marla but oh yes, it applies:
  • I also made my first AU (alternate universe) - I made a set depicting Amy and Alice Morgan from Luther as best friends. Check it out. There is more of that pairing coming up!
  • I finally saw Foxcatcher last weekend. You know they should really come up with a new word for this movie because the word 'disturbing' doesn't cover it. I was on fairly good buzz watching it and I was still feeling so unsettled despite all the nice shots of Mark being so strong in wrestling scenes and his butt. No, but come on let's be professional here. 
  • The film was really excellent and it's one of those films that even though I am grading 8 is probably gonna gain more love and respect, much like Moneyball did - it started somewhere near the end of my top 10 of that respective year and now it's in my all time top 30. The film is so incredibly well done, in such a difficult way (they don't go the easy route with easy perspective but filter the events in a very curious way) and has such grand themes, perhaps I'll attempt to review it but it would take a long time. 
  • As much as I'd love to finally give Mark a win this year (I counted and I nominate the man, including this year, 7 times and I haven't even seen You can Count on Me or Reservation Road yet) I really cannot award him this year. He was so good and his interview scene was one of the best moments in 2014 but he was not as good as Jim Parsons in The Normal Heart (I haven't seen Whiplash yet). Or maybe he was? I really need to rewatch a bunch of films. My actor line ups are filled with ties.
  • ACTING.
  • And for me, as good as Ruffalo was and as well as Tatum handled the challenge of a very difficult role, Carell stole the show. He was horrifying. He completely disappeared in the role. There is a moment which is the year's scariest moment because it plays out so unexpectedly and so realistically and the content of the scene is so heartbreaking, unfair and awful. His eyes in that scene were unspeakably horrific. I was seriously shaken by this whole movie.
  • I've also seen The Judge. It was boring, but you know what, as far as life stories go, it was still more interesting than Boyhood. It was also interesting seeing a courthouse with windows and more than two toilets (I'm serious, here we also don't even have elevators so the disabled people have to pretty much crawl upstairs, YAY the place where I work). Duvall and Downey were both really good and I liked the unexpected touches of humor in the film - the scene where Vera Farmiga's character reveals to Downey who is the father of her kid is one of the year's funniest moments.
  • The Guest was so dope you guys. It was like this year's Drive except it was less pretentious and faster paced. I'm not into Dan Stevens at all (I'm generally not into blond guys with blue eyes) but the manner in which his character carried himself and spoke - so gently, never rising his voice, with all that confidence and class was so freaking hot.  And that girl! Maika Monroe, is it? Jesus, what a beauty! She was so good too, she seems to be a break out star with that other horror film about...sexually transmitted haunting. Anyways, I'm already a fan. If you guys haven't seen The Guest yet, do, it's crazy good. Also is there really a drink called 'blow job'? Sweet Lord, who would ever order that for themselves?!
  • I also saw The Skeleton Twins. That was emotional for me. Parts of Milo story were hitting so close to home for me. Some stuff he has been through, things he said and that were said to him was like taken straight out of my own experiences. I did not feel much for his sister, though, because I never really understand when a person cheats but cheating on your nice, sweet, caring and loving husband is just inexcusable. Bill Hader was just fantastic in this movie, the cinematography and the music were so good too. Foxcatcher, this and The Guest all entered my top 10 of the year.
  • I saw Tusk today and it was not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It was entertaining and very, very disturbing. This was one of Depp's best performances in years. His character was my favorite thing in the film and I hear he is returning in Smith's next movie.
  • Another two movies I saw were for Fisti's Twice a Best Actress so I send you there for my reactions. Women in Love was particularly awful, boring and ridiculous. And now I'm suffering through Gone with the Wind, though it's actually not as boring as I feared.
  • Oh yeah. More of those McConaughey ads for cars showed up!
  • Brittani reviews The Interview
  • Tom reviews Foxcatcher
  • Ruth posted her cinematic 2014 recap
  • Anna also lists some of the best and worst of 2014
  • Thaddeus reviews Under the Skin
  • Alex writes about why he included a sex scene in his movie Wait
  • RELATED POSTS:

    46 comments:

    1. Mark Ruffalo is a real manly-manly man. Not afraid to display his hairiness and be good looking at the same time. Amy and Alice together... I would gladly become one of their victims in a sick three-way.

      I liked The Skeleton Twins. Bill Hader is great.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. His hairiness is super hot :) I would too. Someone should really write fan fiction about these two.

        Such a great movie! Loved it, Hader was wonderful.

        Delete
    2. I must've blacked out at some point this year or something because I didn't know you watched Shameless! Oh, man, I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions of season 5. Great to hear you liked Tusk, I've been so interested but also scared about seeing it because of the reviews.

      Happy New Year, Sati!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Shameless imho is the most consistently awesome show on TV now. Didn't we talk about that show on twitter?:D The movie is entertaining but it's seriously gross.

        Happy new year to you too!

        Delete
    3. Still need to see Foxcatcher. Fun post, as usual. The handicapped crawling up the stairs? Should I feel bad for laughing at that sentence?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No, you shouldn't, sometimes laughter is all that is left :)

        Delete
    4. The title of this post is fantastic. :-D I am loving the idea of Amy and Alice as best friends. I wouldn't go within a mile of them IRL, but watching that film would be pure bliss.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think I would get along with them just fine )

        Delete
      2. Ha ha! What does this say about you? Should we be scared? ;-)

        Delete
      3. Well I have very little empathy for other people. But I have plenty for animals, so it could be worse :)

        Delete
      4. Anybody who has empathy for animals is O.K. in my book.

        Delete
      5. i think they deserve more empathy than people :)

        Delete
    5. Very amusing and fresh post!

      I should definitely see the movie with the twins as I am one too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, really? That's so cool! The story in that one is kinda heavy but the film is great

        Delete
    6. I saw The Guest the same day as Interstellar and kinda forgot about Interstellar :P
      Foxcatcher is growing in esteem for me too but there are so many films I liked this year. It's like in the 60s in terms of ranking for me :/
      Loved Skeleton Twins. I liked that Wiig's character was kinda ugly. It made the final scenes more impactful for me. Hader was amazing.
      Haven't seen Judge or Tusk. Probably never will.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, I'm not surprised :) It's about 100x better paced than Interstellar. And more interesting too.

        The Judge was kinda OK, Tusk was....unique. Depp was terrific in that but the film is really disgusting.

        Delete
    7. I don't know what the Hell 'The Guest' even is, but I'm totally sold. Looking forward to it.

      Damn, I really wanted to see Foxcatcher. I actually had the chance today, but my wife convinced me we should take our son with us to the movies. So instead of something 'disturbing', I saw something with animated penguins. Maybe that's a tie?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's super awesome movie, you need to see it. I can almost guarantee you'll love it.

        Well at least you, hopefully, had a pleasant day, Foxcatcher would shot that day into some dark and unpleasant territories.

        Delete
    8. Happy New Year! I haven't seen any of the movies you mentioned, but I'm looking forward to watch Foxcatcher - hopefully it does live up to expectation.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Happy new year to you too! Foxcatcher is really difficult, but it's excellent.

        Delete
    9. Thanks so much for the link, Margaret. Oooh I LOVE that scene of Mark in Begin Again. I totally remembered what you said about this very scene on your blog as I was watching the movie.

      Oh I definitely will look for the episode of Graham Norton Show with Mark in it, he’s such a hilarious host, so I think that’ll be fun. VERY cool that he’d be in the same episode w/ McAvoy whom I also adore.

      I’d love to see your review of Foxcatcher. Oh man, that interview scene w/ Mark’s char character trying to describe John du Pont is very unsettling, funny and powerful all at the same time. It speaks volumes about Carell’s character without directly saying it, very well done.

      Yep The Judge is very boring and oh I can’t wait to see The Guest, esp w/ Dan Stevens as I’ve only seen him in period dramas.

      Anyways, happy new year and I look forward to more awesome posts from you in 2015!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yeah I love that scene too :P

        I love whenever Mark is there, one time he was on with Michael Sheen which for me was like the highest level of ecstasy to witness :)

        I'm working on the review but it's really difficult to write, there is tons of reading up to do, considering that they omitted a lot of interesting stuff in the film and explaining why they omitted it is also kinda tricky :)

        Stevens was really good in The Guest. Normally I'm not a fan, but he was excellent here.

        Thanks so much and happy new year to you too!

        Delete
      2. Yeah I'm curious why Miller didn't include barely anything of the standoff between du Pont and the police after the murder. When I read most of the news articles on it, seems like that's an important piece of it as he locked himself in that mansion for two days. What a weird guy!

        Delete
      3. I think that might have messed up the climax of the movie, but it's kinda interesting that they omitted all the crazy stuff du Pont did, like threatening people with guns and stuff. I think it's because Miller usually leaves conclusions to the audience and had he shown that it would be clear du Pont was insane

        Delete
    10. Oh, that interview scene from Foxcatcher was amazing. As fantastic as Carell and Tatum were, I think Ruffalo was best in show. He really stole the film. I haven't seen Luther yet, but from what I hear, Amy and Alice as best friends is pretty much awesome.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I was just so blown away by Steve. I recently finished the entire The Office marathon and seeing him so different here was just incredible. Oh Luther is awesome, I highly recommend that one!

        Delete
    11. I think I'm emotionally not ready to watch Foxcatcher yet.. it will break me, I'm sure of it.
      Nice that you liked The Skeleton Twins, I myself also thought Milo's storyline was better and hence my frustration with the movie.
      The Guest looks quite promising with those gifs you used, the visual side of it I mean.. I might need to give it a try. I also need to watch I Origin because I liked its premise. And well, so many other movies to see before I can finally pin down Top 10 though I think it won't change much for me.

      Can't wait for you to see Whiplash though! I really hope you'll love it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's quite exhausting indeed.
        The Guest has really gorgeous visual side, it's one of the better looking movies of the year. I did hear of I Origins, but I'm mostly trying to catch up with all the Oscar season movies now.

        I'm sure I will, it's getting insane praise from seemingly everyone

        Delete
    12. Thanks for the link!

      I'm jealous you go to see Foxcatcher already :P I'm still waiting for that to hit theaters here.

      I loved The Skeleton Twins. Hader was wonderful and I actually didn't mind Kristen Wiig. I usually dislike her.

      That sucks you won't be able to drink/live tweet during the Golden Globes and SAGs! At least you'll be there for the Oscars.

      I love your Fight Club/Gone Girl mash up!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I am waiting for Whiplash. It actually opened today but the times of screenings all suck. I barely have enough strength to stay on my feet for 30 mins after work and here I'd have to wait almost 3h :/

        Well, I'll live tweet the next day while I'm watching it :)

        Thanks so much! It's so cool how many similarities there are between different characters in Fincher's films

        Delete
    13. I really, really want to see The Guest.

      So, Ruff has 7 noms... For what performances? I only give him 1 right now (for The Kids are All Right), but in retrospect I should have given him one for You Can Count on Me as well.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's honestly fantastic, one of the most entertaining movies of 2014.

        The Kids...., Begin Again, Foxcatcher, What Doesn't Kill You, In the Cut, Zodiac, My Life Without me

        Delete
      2. You may give him a win once you see You Can Count on Me. Brilliant performance.

        Delete
      3. Yeah I heard that, unfortunately I'm out of free time to actually watch it soon :/

        Delete
    14. I have not seen any of these movies yet :( I do want to see Foxcatcher. I can confirm there is a drink called blow job and also one called Dirty Girl Scout. My mom works part time as a bartender and the first time someone asked her for a dirty girl scout, she responded, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHAT KIND OF PLACE DO YOU THINK THIS IS?" Then when she was told it was a drink, she said "that is just not right for a name..." They come up with some weird names for drinks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This is really messed up that they would call a drink that :) I mean something like 'sex on a beach' is already odd but 'blow job'? No, no :)

        Delete
      2. There's also a drink called a "slow comfortable screw up against a wall"
        - it combines oj, southern comfort, Galliano (from a Harvey wallbanger), and sloe gin. Maybe vodka, too

        Delete
      3. Jesus! I usually just drink wine or vodka, I feel completely uninformed now :)

        Delete
    15. Thank you for the link love! I really was excited to go back and forth on under the skin with you...

      Foxcatcher has received.some of the most mixed reviews of the year. So many people call it amazing, and so many call it overrated. I don't know what to think!

      I really wanted to see the guest - the people behind You're Next really impressed me with their first film, and it sounds like their second effort is as strong as the first one.

      I'm glad that you're still rocking out with these great graphics in 2015! Welcome to the future!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome, that was an excellent review!

        I saw mostly favorable reviews, but it's a very tough film, in spite of famous actors in that it's a difficult story to market and it is not a crowd pleaser for sure.

        I have not seen You're Next but The Guest is so good, very enjoyable, well made, well acted, just awesome.

        Haha, love making those, especially with Gone Girl, it's such a rich story and it has great visuals

        Delete
    16. Really glad you liked Foxcatcher so much. I agree, it is one damn disturbing film, but a very well made one. I still don't think Mark has ever been better. But yeah, with that said, I don't know if he'd be my pick for the Oscar either, thought it's really damn close. Thanks so much for including the post about Wait, that's really kind of you!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're very welcome! I liked Mark's work in Begin Again better - it was worse script but he did so much with the role and created someone likable even in scenes we were not supposed to like him, or feel for him, or relate to him, I did. And he kinda carried that film, here he was basically a ray of sunshine that came through between these heavy du Pont/Mark moments

        Delete
    17. Thanks heaps for the link Sati! I need to see Foxcatcher. And Birdman!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! hope you'll like them when you get a chance to see them!

        Delete
    18. I've no idea when I'll finally get to see Foxcatcher, but I'm looking forward to it. I've only nominated Mark for The Kids Are All Right, so I'm hoping I can finally give him a second nomination.

      I rewatched Boyhood, and I didn't love it this time. Like, it's not even in my top 20 now. I do still like it, but the *love* just isn't there anymore.

      Oh, I loved The Skeleton Twins! Such a brilliant little movie. Going to watch The Guest soon, but I'm only watching The Judge if it gets an Oscar nomination.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it's not even in my top 20 of the year either. It's just such a flat movie.

        The Judge is actually really decent, Duvall and Downey are both good. It's not a great film but it's worth seeing.

        Delete