Friday, January 23, 2015

(167) Laggies + links

By Sati. Friday, January 23, 2015
  • Mark Ruffalo used Mark Ruffalo reaction gif on tumblr to write about Paul Rudd. Oh God, my ovaries.
  • I was on a sick leave for 3 days this week because due to stress my body started to get fucked up again. It did not help and now I had to do in 2 days what I planned to do in 5. Also my new diet includes avocado which tastes like death. On the bright side I did not interact with my boss at all this week so at least that was good.
  • I actually started exercising. Of course I'm still smoking and drinking because to quote Seth Rogen in This is the End - I'm not psychotic - but yeah, avocados and actual physical effort is brand new for me. 
  • I'm in so much pain right now.
  • Here's the picture of the cast for Now You See Me 2. Look at Mark Look how delicious.
  • Daniel Radcliffe looks like a villain from Scooby Doo:
  • You know what? Forget about Selma, Pride is the movie everyone should be watching.
  • Congrats, all you “Academy is racist” folks. A movie glorifying psycho killer got several noms but nobody cares because you made so much noise about nothing, it was all the people kept talking about in regards to the nominations. Well done! Go reblog another graph. 
  • You know what I noticed? Every single time I write something remotely negative about a person of color which has nothing to do with that person's skin color many people of color jump in shocked that I dare criticizing that person. Well done to you too. People like you have now created the atmosphere of paranoia so grand that the Academy would not fear nominating the movie glorifying killing but is shitting themselves horrified so they nominate the movie about black people marching.
  • No, seriously, there are no fanboys more delusional than Selma's this year. The movie is not getting as many nominations as it should? They blame it on the lack of sent out screeners and racism. Now it is flopping in Box Office and of course it's all the conservative people's fault for seeing American Sniper instead.
  • It really is appalling that the film about Chris Kyle got made and the stuff it has going on - even a scene where the twin towers collapse and Chris sees it, just helps perpetuate that notion that the war in Iraq was justified. On top of that it's just not a very good, boring movie. I guess it speaks volumes as to what kind of people sit in Academy that this got so many nominations.
  • Anyways Pride was incredible - it proves that a movie about serious, important issues doesn't have to bleak - it was so happy, heartwarming and showed such an incredible fight. Everybody go see it, it's just lovely.
  • John Wick was so awesome. Oh my God I haven't root for a character like that since Amy was framing that cheating piece of shit Nick. That dog was so adorable it was just horrific to watch what happened to her. Alfie Allen who plays Theon Greyjoy on Thrones was the guy who killed her. I fucking hate Theon Greyjoy even more now.
  • Keanu kicked so much ass in the movie. I loved it. They kill his dog, he brutally slaughters 80+ people. So good. The only thing better would be if he tortured them beforehand.
  • Big Eyes was fucking terrible. Waltz should officially explain what the hell he was doing and Adams' Globe win is laughable. What an awful movie! That scene with the matches? Was everybody on the set high that day?
  • I also saw Laggies, which was the movie with the most wisdom out of all in 2014. I so hugely related to Keira Knightley's character. She is kinda in a place I have been for a while. Also I actually always feel like the oldest person at the party, even if I'm not.  It also healed me a bit because this movie ended exactly how Begin Again should have ended. Hell, this film was so excellent not even Moretz bothered me here. She was well cast for once and had really good chemistry with Keira. See that film, it's magical, a wonderful, wonderful gem.
  • I caught up with and finished American Horror Story: Freakshow. It was not bad and it had some great moments - man, Murphy really knows how to show a massacre well - but what the hell with the happy ending? The ending should be the most disturbing part. Overall it was actually more coherent but not as entertaining than Coven.
  • Everyone look at this riveting first footage from season 5 of Game of Thrones:
  • Are you fucking kidding me? Where is that first trailer?
  • Mark Schultz's twitter was blowing up again this time saying stuff that was completely different from the stuff that he wrote in his rant. "I feel terrible about what I did to Bennett. I should have followed God, not man.""#Foxcatcher is a miracle. I'm sorry I said I hated it. I love it. I love my interpretation and will ignore the haters. I'm never getting mad". Seriously, this is amazing.
  • Sophie Turner whose only good acting moments on Thrones consists of when she is silent and has to act pissed off or scared is now gonna be Jean Grey in that next X men movie. This is such a horrible casting. Jean Grey is badass. Meanwhile, every time Turner opens her mouth I want to scold her and tell her to go and stand in the corner until she figures how to be less annoying.
  •  My new thing is watching The West Wing. Once upon a time I only saw a bit of season 1 but now I'm starting from the beginning and I'm determined to finish it. That show is awesome.
  • You wanna laugh? Go read Mortdecai reviews. Oh my God. I actually want to see it to check out how bad it is.
  • Keith asks about your most anticipated movies of 2015
  • ....and Nikhat already has a complete list of 30 movies she is waiting for in 2015
  • MettelRay lists her favorite films from 2014
  • Courtney wrote a brilliant post about why Boyhood is overrated
  • Mariah posted amazing list of best and worst of TV series in 2014
  • Meanwhile Sofia lists 10 best scores of 2014
  • FeelingFuzzier reviews Birdman
  • m.brown returns with the hilarious review of No Good Deed
  • Ruth lists her favorite 10 male performances of 2014
  • Brittani posted her SAG predictions
  • Fisti posted the final summary of his Twice a Best Actress series. Look who only gave 1 A+!
  • Thaddeus wrote an amazing review of The Immigrant. His review is better than the movie.
  • and finally everyone go and congratulate Alex on the success of his movie Wait!
  • RELATED POSTS:

    58 comments:

    1. First, Paul Rudd may be my Mark Ruffalo.

      Second, the Selma shit is insane.

      Third, you're going to hate my review of Pride tomorrow.

      Fourth, my daughter says the same thing about avocados.

      I'm sorry to hear about your health, and I hope that things start to move on up for you. It sucks to be stressed. I feel you. I recently started taking anxiety medication because I had a nervous breakdown about two weeks ago, complete with nearly passing out in public, uncontrollable shaking and sobbing and what felt like a heart attack. The medication isn't exactly working yet, but I'm hoping soon.

      Eek.

      Anyways, not to make it about me at all, but just wanted you to know I can relate.

      And thanks for the link, and for being part of the panel!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh no! You didn't like Pride?

        I'm sorry it's happening to you too! I'm on special pills again as well, from what I remember it takes about 2 weeks for them to kick in. Oh yeah I think I had that that feeling happen to me multiple times, completed with instant fever and feeling like you are gonna collapse. And you are trying to stay calm but you keep thinking you may be having a stroke or a heart attack so it's only making things worse.

        Good times.

        Delete
      2. Yeah, that's the feeling.

        I liked Pride, but I also found it really forgettable...but you'll see...my review drops in the AM.

        Delete
      3. I'll be sure read it! For me it was so different from the other biopic movies last year. It was so...uplifting. Comparing to that everything else was bleak as fuck

        Delete
      4. Well, shit. Now I really want to see Pride.

        (of course I probably won't...)

        Delete
      5. You really should, it's lovely!

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the link!!! You've made me really excited for Laggies. I'm going to try and watch it as soon as I can. I saw John Wick the same day I saw Whiplash and needless to say, it was a fucking awesome day!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I hope you'll like it, it's really a clever, charming film!

        Delete
    3. Mark Ruffalo does look really damn cute in that picture. Also, I like Jesse Eisenberg's hair buzzed like that. Goes well with his dickish character.

      John Wick was really damn fun and he has the best reason to go on a rampage ever. Fucking Theon.

      Haven't seen Selma so I have no opinions on it's nominations (or lack thereof) but I am still steaming over all of American Sniper's noms. That movie was so bad with some terrible messages. Of course the most nationalistic people in America are old white men, which unfortunately make up much of the Academy. Those assholes. It's highly suspect to me that Foxcatcher scored 5 nominations while missing Best Picture, while Selma only got Best Song. Every other BP nomination this year has at least 5 nominations. Either means Selma was jilted in the other categories or the BP nomination was token.

      That Into the Woods/Devil Wears Prada mash up is BRILLIANT. I love it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They gave that BP nomination out of fear. Imagine the outrage if Selma only got nominated for the song. Thank God they didn't nominate the actors - they did absolutely nothing noteworthy and they would have replaced actual deserved nominees.

        Delete
    4. Thanks for the link and your kind comment! I'm so glad you liked Laggies, I really enjoyed that film. Definitely my favorite Lynn Shelton movie so far. Knightley had such a great 2014.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Keira was just incredible in 2014, I hope she has more years like this one

        Delete
    5. " I so hugely related to Keira Knightley's character. She is kinda in a place I have been for a while." - same here. I'm doing circles around my life at the moment, going nowhere and having no idea where to go either.. So Maggie was like me.. minus the boyfriend.

      Thanks for the link! And yes, Pride was adorable and amazing and.. I cried like a baby when they marched in the end.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well I have the idea where to go, it just takes me so long to actually get there.

        You're welcome! I don't think I cried but I was very moved many times during this movie

        Delete
    6. Sorry to hear you are not feeling great, hope things turn around soon. Exercising is a good way to relax and take your mind off stressful things, I don't know if everyone can switch their brain off, it works for me :) I'm curious to see Laggies, sounds promising!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Hope you'll like Laggies!

        Delete
    7. OH!!! The Devil Wears Prada was just on HBO recently. Meryl ruled in that film.

      I hope there's some make-out moments between Mark and Lizzy Caplan in Now You See Me 2

      "Academy is racist!" SHUT UP!!!!! What a bunch of cry-babies.

      Mortdecai aka Johnny Depp in another derp-de-derp film where he derpity-derpity-derp and derp-de-derpity-derpity-derp. Also starring Derp, Derpity-Derp, and Blonde Bitch Who Stole Winona Ryder's Oscar.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think there might be, thought I wish Melanie Laurent came back

        God, I hate Paltrow too. Although I always say she stole Blanchett's Oscar that year.

        Delete
      2. Oh shit, you're right. THAT BITCH!!!!!!

        Delete
    8. I liked Pride too. It was very sweet. I almost went to go see Selma today, but I skipped it. I'm over it lol.

      The more I read about American Sniper, the worse it sounds.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Really, I find it harder and harder to believe that AS was made with good intentions. It just shows one sided version of events and it seriously whitewashes the guy.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    9. Now I really want to see Laggies. Perhaps vacation is good for you, hope you're getting better.

      Speaking of Avocados, I spotted Gwyneth Paltrow's breakfast recipe http://www.pinterest.com/pin/120682464990296635/ I don't know if it will be delicious though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope you'll like Laggies!

        Thank you for the link but I think on principle I want to stay as far as possible from Paltrow's ideas :)

        Delete
    10. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling that well, I hope you feel better soon :)

      Pride was wonderful, and I also loved that it was funny throughout, but also serious when it needed to be. Dominic West's dance scene was spectacular too, and the cast was great. Some of those one-liners had me in tears from laughing, and of course that march was beautiful.

      Laggies was great as well. Keira Knightley had a great 2014, I'm really looking forward to see what she does next.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you!

        I loved that dance scene! I never liked Dominc Cooper's character more, he usually plays such shady types.

        Loved Laggies so much, I wish I had the time to review it

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the link Sati! Hope you're feeling better soon - I've been off work for this week too and it really sucks huh?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I really liked it, the problem was when I had to go back :)

        Delete
    12. Yeah, what's going on with all this racist nonsense? The world is becoming fucking ridiculous. 12 years a slave won best picture last year for Christ sakes!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. And Selma got BP nomination. These people are in hysterics like that every other day, really, when they see something they perceive as racism.

        Delete
    13. Oh no, hope you are feeling better soon.! I've been sick this week with what I call the creeping yuck, so I hope you are well soon. I have not seen Selma, American Sniper or Pride, so I cannot speak to those movies. Although I will say, I expect Selma to win Best Picture. And Ava DuVernay gave an interesting interview to EW this week that is worth a read.
      I heard that Saoirse Ronan was also up for the Jean Grey role too, how Sophie Turner got it over her is mind-blogging to me. I like Sophie and she's definitely improved as Sansa over the years but the show doesn't really give her much to do and she can still be hit or miss when she is given stuff to do. Her earlier stuff in season 4 was good, as was her slap to Robin but the other stuff in the Vale, she was shaky on. I don't see Sophie as the Jean Grey type. This casting is as mind boggling to me as casting Emilia Clarke over Tatiana Maslany as Sarah Conner. I still don't get that.
      I am concerned over season 5 of GoT. I hope it's better than I expect and better than season 4.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I don't think anything is beating Boyhood for Best Picture.

        I think they get cast because they are in popular TV show. Neither Emilia nor Sophie fit these characters at all.

        For me it hangs or whether or not Stoneheart shows up.

        Delete
    14. Thanks for the link! Great post. I hope you feel better. It sucks to be sick only to come back to a mountain of work. Good luck with the diet. I know how hard it is. I'm trying to cut out some things out of my diet right now. I say this as I have just succumbed to some girl scout cookies.

      I'm not sure why they keep choosing these meek actresses to play superheroes? However, physically Sophie Turner is perfect for Jean Grey. I do wonder if she has the chops for it though? I personally love Famke Jansen, but I never figured her for Jean Grey.

      I haven't seen Selma yet. I'll probably watch it when it comes to Netflix. I will say that the discussion of race in this country is very difficult, especially in the south (where I live). There's a lot of historical and cultural reasons. So it's one of those things that may seem strange from a European perspective. But I do see your point. I think that a good movie is a good movie and if Selma doesn't have the quality then it shouldn't be nominated. I personally like to see films that incorporate racial tensions into the film in a subtle way. I'm all about subtlety. I don't want to be slapped in the face with anything.

      I was actually really surprised at how good John Wick was. I had long since given up on Keanu Reeves, but he really redeemed himself with that film. It was great. My dad and I had a great time seeing that film.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I have no problem not eating candy, cause I never liked it, but some of the stuff I have to eat is really disgusting :/

        I don't think Sophie looks the part. Also she is just too tall for any role, it's already distracting with Sansa.

        Selma has 2 oscar nominations, one for best picture another for best song. It's kinda obvious what was going on there. The amount of overreaction and pathetic racism accusations is now such a parody to me I find it very hard to actually care about actual racism claims. The so called 'defenders' have now brought the issue to the level of a joke.

        Delete
    15. Hi Sati, thanks so much for the link! Hope you are feeling better now.

      I didn’t know Radcliffe is in Now You See Me 2, he doesn’t look at all menacing does he? That’ll be hilarious!

      Glad to hear you love John Wick! I’ve always been a Keanu fan and this is the kind of roles he really shines at. The dog is super adorable, so yeah it was heartbreaking to see it got killed! Well, those vile villains definitely got what they deserved!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome and thank you!

        He looks really ridiculous!

        I really loved that one. Such an entertaining film and I hope Keanu gets to star in more good movies like this one.

        Delete
      2. Yeah I think John Wick is a surprise box office hit so we'll probably see a sequel. I've always liked him and he can be great in roles that's tailor-made for him.

        Delete
      3. A sequel would be good but no more dead dogs!

        Delete
    16. The racist stuff is a load of absolute nonsense. The Academy only ever vote for the obvious films anyway, it's hardly the most reputable and fair of organisations at the best of times so I don't know why people are getting so annoyed by it. People like to be angry at something, I guess.

      American Sniper was fucking terrible and Pride was amazing. Shows how much the Academy really knows about movies.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think people get angry at any omission of people of color, no matter if the inclusion would be deserved or even made sense.

        Delete
    17. What, you don't like avocado??? Haha. I love that stuff. Could eat it everyday. Hope you're feeling better though!

      John Wick really was a lot of fun. BTW, somewhat related. I found this site the other day and thought you might appreciate it: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

      That poor dog in John Wick... :\

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yeah I know the site! Thank God for it, there should be a ban against this kind of scenes in movies

        Delete
    18. Thanks so much for the link. You're awesome!

      Isn't that Mark Schultz stuff crazy? Is he jockeying for an Oscar party invite or is mentally all over the place????

      Mortdecai...oh Mortdecai....good gosh!

      I'm totally with you on the Academy is racist cries. I actually thought Selma was good, but not awards worthy. It's not the flawless historical classic that many are touting it as IMO.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        That Selma backlash is insane. It's such a basic movie. In fact this year Oscar movies are rather underwhelming except for Birdman

        Delete
    19. Welcome to the world of proper physical maintenance! I promise, you will come to appreciate the benefits of healthier living. But I am sorry that it's not by your choice. The soreness should go away by day 3 or 4, btw.

      "Go reblog another graph" - I love you. I have to actually see Selma to figure out whether or not sucks, as you claim. What I can say is that (a) anyone claiming that this is a bigotry scandal is probably insane and (b) I do find it weird that it gets two noms, and they're for best film and best song. Those almost seem chosen at random, and it's weird that something might be the best movie of the year and yet not have solid writing, acting, or direction.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well not that all of that was not solid, it's just there were dozens of better movies this year and it's really hilarious how Foxcatcher has 5 nominations and no BP nomination and Selma got in while the other one they have is....song, which they will probably, undeservedly, win.

        Delete
      2. Ah, it cuts both ways for you. That's a good point that I hadn't considered. I'll try to catch it asap so that I have an informed opinion.

        (Ps, pushups, pull ups, and crunches are like the best exercises and they require no gym membership)

        Delete
      3. Selma wasn't the worst movie I've seen last year but it was sure the most boring one. It was dull, preachy and overhyped but at least it was not atrocious.

        Delete
    20. Thanks for the link!

      I don't think you know how much I look forward to these posts. Sure, maybe it's that the unrelenting misery of the workweek is over, but damn it if I don't love reading what's going on with you.

      Was Big Eyes really that bad? My wife actually wanted to see that one...so...nevermind. You don't even have to answer that, honestly.

      I'm really stoked that you liked John Wick. I was really afraid I had lost my f--king mind on that one.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Thanks! I hope my own misery makes everyone else feel a bit better :P

        It was seriously horrible, but parts of it were so bad that they were funny.

        Oh no, plenty of people liked that one!

        Delete
    21. I'm so interested in catching up with Laggies and Pride after reading all the positives you had to say about both. I'm watching Skeleton Twins tonight as per your positive remarks on it!

      Thanks for the link :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Awesome, hope you see those and like them! The Skeleton Twins is really excellent.

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    22. Give avocados time, they might grow on you. Also make sure to try them in different stages -- I love them when they're almost overripe or almost raw and everything else tastes like horse shit. Also they taste worst in the winter. My mum lived in Dominican Republic and she got really pissed off in the store one day, like "why the fuck are they selling them now, where do they even get them from, they don't grow in the winter".

      Are you going to do a trailer frame-by-frame for Thrones for the trailer that was just released? I'm really lost. I remember nothing but baby Oberyn. :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well it is winter now but I can't really wait with eating them till it's summer :)

        Just posted it :)

        Delete
    23. Glad you liked Laggies! I thought Knightley was great too. Wasn't too big on the script, but I still found it very enjoyable.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh Knightley really rocked in 2014, this was my favorite work from her.

        Delete
    24. I'll be seeing John Wick very soon. Can't wait!

      So glad you liked Laggies. It's a nice little movie, and I wish Knightley had been recognized for her work. Still, I'm just glad she had such an amazing year. She deserves it.

      I've been meaning to check out The West Wing for years. Maybe some day. :/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope you'll like it!

        West Wing is great but I don't have enough time to watch it as often as I would like:/

        Delete