Friday, January 30, 2015

(168) it's all Goode + links

By Sati. Friday, January 30, 2015
  •  This may be shorter than usual cause I have so much work to do nowadays that I'm typing page after page every day and I can barely type anymore. To give you a rough estimate I usually have about 20 cases and this month I have 34. Yeah you won't be seeing much of me in  February.
  •  Of course most of the cases are divorces. Several months in and I can tell you that about 1 out of 10 of those is because of woman's actions. Everything else is the guy. Drinking. Beating his wife up. Cheating on her and leaving her with the kids to support, then arguing that 300 bucks for food for his kids is too much even though he takes his lover out to fancy places. Is it any wonder that I think most men are just such shit? Oh I'm still a romantic, but truly, I think it is a miracle to meet a guy who is actually decent.
  • I really don't want to complain, but I'm kinda...peeved about the amount of feedback on my recent reviews. It's not easy to type all of this after you type and type and type for most of your day.
  • Have any of you heard - or better yet are attending Sundance and saw - The Witch? It sounds absolutely amazing and it's getting killer reviews. There is only one or two good movies about witches in existence out there so I'm psyched for this.
  • Seeing how I saw everything that seemed interesting with Mark in it and I had no desire to watch anything bleak (all the movies with him I have yet to see look seriously depressing) I decided to mix it up a bit and I saw Leap Year this week.
  • Exactly.
  • It was so stupid but it was also insanely cute. Every kind of romantic situation where you go 'owww' happens in that movie. And it's set in Ireland. And Matthew Goode plays a guy who cooks. That was perfect.
  • Speaking of I hear he is on Downton Abbey and The Good Wife now? I really wanted to continue watching The Good Wife but it has way too many episodes for me to catch up plus it's a legal drama and my whole life is basically a never ending, excruciating legal drama so I'm just gonna see episodes with him in it. 
  • I mean really, I can barely watch 1 or 2 shows now and it takes me so long to actually finish a season. When I say I'll be dead before I'll get to see Sherlock series 2 and beyond I mean it. It may take years for me to get around to watching it. I'm literally this busy.
  • I forgot last week to mention how amazing Parks and Rec was. That episode with Ron telling Leslie the truth? Oh my God. That was incredible. In a huge plot twist I had no time to see this week's episodes of the show.
  • In another  huge plot twist we got first season 5 trailer for Game of Thrones and there is almost no Stannis in it except for the short moment where he is standing in front of a fire and we see his back. Gee, thanks HBO!
  •  However! We did get this!
  • You know what would be worse than really not having Stoneheart in the show? Giving her material to freaking Sansa (she annoys me so much). I don't even know what I'd do if they did that.
  • I cannot believe they still didn't upload the trailer and we have to watch bootleg version. Cheap fucks.
  • What the hell is wrong with Charlize Theron? Not only is she still with Sean Penn but now he is adopting her son.
  • Speaking of stupid:
  •  I cannot decide whether this is funny or sad that he does not realize he is describing himself. There was also this story on the news of Depp having a cold and showing up in Japan one day late to promo thing for that shit movie. Depp said he was attacked by Chupacabra and then started doing Mortdecai impression. It was so embarrassing and cringe worthy I felt as if my soul died a little bit while watching that. He is like a bad clown at the kids party now. He is literally turning into Willy Wonka. That is f Willy Wonka left his family for some blonde bimbo.
  •  Rutina Weasley was cast as Reba in Hannibal. Not only is she a terrible actress but this casting makes no sense."Reba McClane to be a blind woman with hair "a mixture of wheat and red-gold". Then there's the fact that Reba's similarity to the woman in the painting is important. Will Fuller now change William Blake's painting to have a black chick there? And here I was so excited for this season. This part could have been so good but they just mangled it beyond belief. Idris Elba as Bond - that's a good choice. This is just awful. She cannot act. Just think of all those scenes with her quivering chin on True Blood. My God. Of course I've been called a racist because of my opinion on this because God forbid a book character is faithfully represented on screen and played by a talented actress instead of being made into yet another creation with the sole purpose of appealing to mass hysteria of pseudo progressive 'it's racist unless there's a black character everywhere' aggressive hipsters.
  • Here's a little something - if you ever wondered what the definition of "God's work" was, look no further:
  •  Film-makers Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett said that Dan Stevens’s shirtless scene was one of the most important scenes in the movie because they knew it was going to be a major selling point and a sure-fire trailer shot and they spent more time shooting this scene than any other. Director Adam Wingard said that he “wanted to sexually objectify and fetishize Dan Stevens’ shirtless body” in this shot as it went with the playful nature of the movie where the audience was subversively being asked to ogle at body of the bad boy character. The film-makers scheduled that scene as late as possible because they wanted Stevens’ body in “optimum condition”. In preparation for that scene, Stevens shaved his chest and tanned his body so that all his muscle definition could be seen. In addition, Wingard said that to deepen the muscle definition even further, the trainers had Stevens do a trick where “he did not consume any food or water for a day, and then just before the shot, he drank a diet coke and did 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups”. This tightened up his muscles and made his veins stand out giving him the super-ripped appearance that the film-makers wanted. The shot was then subsequently used in all the trailers and publicity materials for the film.
  • Well done, good sirs!
  • Apparently not only did Tom O'Neil accidentally reveal the extent of Eddie Redmayne's pathetic Oscar desperation but also badmouthed Michael Keaton saying that he is rude and not popular in Hollywood. This is really low. This is the kind of people Redmayne associates with. He is seriously beating Hathaway in the begging for Oscar race.
  • I went to the health food store this week.
  •  They had berries that cost 12 bucks there. Fucking berries for 12 bucks! I can afford to buy these but I'd rather cut off my own arm than become a person who spends 12 bucks on berries.
  • I just got some soy stuff and got the hell out of there.
  • I also saw A Walk Among the Tombstones this week. It is now occurring to me that I don't have the best opening credits category in my Best of. Anyways had I have that category and saw that movie prior to making the list these opening credits would win easily. They are incredible and so creepy. The whole movie had pretty great atmosphere and casting Stevens and Holbrook as brothers was inspired, plus it's always cool to see Neeson having something to do other than punching people in the throats. But Ruth Wilson actually shot scenes for this film and they got cut. That's just mad.
  • Brittani reviews The Skeleton Twins
  • Andrew trashes Boyhood in a glorious way
  • Ruth lists 7 films screening at Sundance she is most curious about
  • m.brown reviews Paddington
  • Alex lists top 20 movies that lost Sundance
  • Irene reviews Gillian Flynn's book Dark Places
  • MettelRay reviews terrific Laggies which I highly recommend
  • Thaddeus wrote a great review of Guardians of the Galaxy
  • RELATED POSTS:

    36 comments:

    1. Your job does sound exhausting. And dealing with divorce cases must be bleak. :-/ I have no perspective on how difficult it is to find decent men, because I've been in a monogamous relationship for about a century. :-P

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not exactly on an expedition to find one because who has the time for that :) You're very lucky, though! :)

        Delete
    2. First, your job sounds depressing and I'm sorry about all the a-holes who share my sex (and by sex, I mean gender and not, you know, well...whatever) but some of us are not complete dicks.

      I promise.

      And Matthew Goode, while not the greatest actor out there, is so damn charming in everything I've seen him in.

      That info on that scene from The Guest is kind of fascinating. So incredible how much thought goes into a scene that, like, well I guess I paid attention to it too.

      Thanks for the link :-D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I'm thrilled whenever someone hates on Boyhood. That movie is unremarkable in every possible way.

        Have you seen The Lookout? I hear Goode is amazing in that

        Delete
    3. I loved the new GoT trailer but damn, not enough Stannis! I can't wait until a better quality one hits.

      Parks and Rec is really something I wish I would've started in order. I see random eps all the time.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm gonna do the analysis of that trailer today :)

        You should see the whole thing, that is such a great show!

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    4. Oh my, Leap Year is so bad but Goode makes it good and I've seen it like three times because of him. Besides, now that I've literally walked the same road the main character walked in Ireland, I feel a special connection to that movie that just warms my heart. PS: I Love You is also close to my heart because of Ireland... and Jeffrey Dean Morgan of course.

      Dan Stevens looks good in that clip... I think I should watch the movie some time next week but then again, I'm so behind with all my series and I've yet to watch all the Best Picture nominations.. man, work just kills my time management!

      Thanks for the link! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I didn't think it was that bad :)

        I am only watching one or two shows a week and I still only have the time to catch 2 or 3 movies. The Guest is awesome!

        Delete
    5. Depp is known for doing some drugs, so it's quite possible that he was a little wrecked when he started speaking. There's another alternative - I'm a really funny guy, and it's a bit hard to tell whether your joke is acttually funny or not. He may have just been trying to be entertaining and then failed terribly.

      Also, I'm terribly sorry about what you're seeing at work. There's a reason I'd rather punch my own genitals than do family law, and it's because of the things that families go through and the shitty shitty things people (usually men) do.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The thing is he has been doing odd and embarassing shit for a while now, it's not just on this occasion.

        Well I want to work with criminal law so it's not like I'm sensitive nor am I really empathetic unless children are involved.

        Delete
    6. I don't know how you make it every week. I'd like to say it was my a-hole dad who made me give up on men, but more and more it seems to be men at my college. They're not even as bad as the stuff you're reading. Like while I'm carrying an armful of books, and struggling to wheel my backpack suitcase behind me, so many men let the door slam into my face instead of seeing me struggle and maybe holding it open for me. *sigh* Every time...

      Is it wrong for me to admit I sorta lost interest in Parks & Rec after Brendanawicz left? Perhaps I'll catch up with it one day.

      You find the best graphics for Smile, It's Friday. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That happens to me a lot when I carry the legal acts some guys won't hold the door open. I think this is just a sign of someone being a shit person. I don't care if they are rescuing dying children but the lack of manners is something that makes me not respect or be interested in person.

        It is wrong :)

        Thanks! :P

        Delete
    7. That is a crazy story about Dan Stevens. That alone makes me want to see the movie. Hope things get better for you at work.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh The Guest is excellent, you should really check it out!

        Delete
    8. Work sounds depressing. I don't know how you do it. It's situations like those you mentioned that makes marriage off-putting. Interesting story about Dan Stevens, I haven't seen the movie yet but it just nudged itself higher on my watch list.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I don't know how I do it either :/ The Guest is definitely worth check it out!

        Delete
    9. Matthew Goode said some bad shit about Leap Year some years ago. The dude is underrated.

      I saw the GoT bootleg trailer... who is doing that cover of "Heroes" by Bowie?

      Charlize Theron marrying Sean Penn? Ew...!!!!

      Johnny Depp used to be so interesting. Not anymore.

      Who badmouthed Michael Keaton? That motherfucker will die! Nobody disses Batman!!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I read it, not too cool to bash your own movie.

        TV on the Radio! They rock!

        Tom O'Neil did but he is kinda a nobody.

        Delete
      2. I saw the TV on the Radio 9 years ago when they opened for NIN and Bauhaus. Best fucking show ever!

        Delete
      3. TVotR + NIN? Wow that sounds awesome, these are some of my favorite bands.

        Delete
    10. I stopped reading Tom O'Neil's comments...I could not believe he cannot see Redmanye for what he is.
      I don't even know what to say about Johnny Depp except huh?
      I am beginning to wonder if Sansa is going to fulfill the Stoneheart role on the show. The preview makes it seem like it. GRRM also said there will be no book 6 this year and it's unlikely for next year too.
      Sorry work has been yuck. Working on divorce cases like that would sour my impression on men too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. GRRM is seriously becoming a joke. How can he not respect his own book series is beyond me. I don't think we will ever see the final book.

        Delete
    11. Thanks for the link, Sati, always appreciated!

      Oy, 34 cases in a month! Hang in there, girl. That’s a very dim stats there about the divorce cases, and why am I not surprised that 9/10 of those cases are caused by the husbands ;)

      Leap Year is just so dumb but it was still worth it for Matthew Goode! Oh and the Ireland scenery is quite pretty but I really didn’t care for Amy Adams at all in that flick. Ooooh I didn’t know Good is in Downton too, I feel that he’s rather wasted in The Good Wife, plus I want him to use his own adorable British accent.

      I’m still shaking my head every time I see pics of Charlize w/ that grouch Penn, ugh. Ahah, yeah I think Depp’s describing himself in that statement. Ahah, I LOVE that shot of Dan in The Guest, well if the goal was to ‘sexually objectify and fetishize’ his shirtless body then it absolutely worked!!

      Good to hear A Walk Among the Tombstones is pretty decent but how could they cut out Ruth Wilson??!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        You watch the Good Wife? I had no idea! I saw just few episodes but Matthew in a suit sounds like something I should check out asap.

        I read some ramblings from director that she got cut out because he wanted to make Neeson's character 'isolated' and she played his partner but OF COURSE the black kid who was his side kick wasn't cut. The film would be much better had this been the other way around.

        Delete
      2. Actually I only saw clips of The Good Wife that has Matthew on it, that show doesn't interest me but yeah worth a look just for him looking dapper in a suit!! He's also the only reason I didn't turn off Leap Year, ahah.

        Delete
      3. He plays such a kind character too :) It's fun seeing him in such different roles, he is basically a polar opposite of his Stoker character in that one.

        Delete
    12. I love Matthew Goode. Leap Year is a terrible movie, but it's just so darn cute... as is Matthew. I also really loved Amy Adams in that film. I do agree with you that Depp has become a caricature of himself. I think he needs to sober up or start actually reading his scripts. I'm beginning to think he may have had some sort of head injury.

      I do disagree with you about the casting of Rutina with regard to her ethnicity. However, wanting to see an actor match the description of a book does NOT make you racist. Sometimes I think that people toss that word around too much that it loses its meaning. However, I don't think that the casting of books or comic books need to be strictly followed with regard to ethnicity. I mean look what Ridley Scott did to the film 'Exodus.' If it's a film like 'Pride and Prejudice,' where there is a historical aspect to the film then yes, but otherwise, I just want to see a good actor in the role. I don't care what their ethnicity is. Unfortunately I don't think Rutina herself fits the description of "good actress." She was dreadful in 'True Blood,' but I do think the show was pretty bad overall and made her character particularly irritating.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well yes that is precisely the issue - she is not a good actress. And Reba is supposed to be delicate and sweet, Rutina just cannot pull this off. There are black actresses who can but she is not one of these. And then there is similarity to the painting which is non existent now.

        Delete
    13. The Witch sounds intriguing. Looking forward to it.

      I might actually see Mortdecai this week. The mess could be good fun. :/

      Ugh, Tom O'Neil. I just can't with him.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh man, I'll be curious to read if Mortdecai is as bad as people say :)

        Delete
    14. I think The Which sounds bitchin'. Really excited to see that one. I love a well made horror film. Thanks so much for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! This may be my most anticipated movie of the year, hope they'll release it soon though if I were them I'd keep it hidden until Halloween.

        Delete
    15. That Johnny Depp shit makes me so sad. That guy has severely lost his way.

      I really want to check out A Walk Among the Tombstones, as it's a movie that my Dad actually recommended to me (that's rare). Unfortunately, all he could give me at the time was: It has Liam Neeson. And I think he's a detective. Very interested in the opening credits, too. I love when they matter.

      Bummer about work, Sati. Just remember...at least you work with adults.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah he is gonna need more than just Tim Burton/Disney checks to find his way....

        Well the film is really slow but it had very good ambiance and Neeson is great in it, he actually has something to portray other than whatever the fuck it is he's doing in his usual action stuff these days.

        No, no. I work with 'adults' who have responsible jobs but they are acting like children. That's actually worse than working with children, at least it's somewhat understandable for them to be idiots.

        Delete
    16. Good gravy! 34 freaking cases? No wonder your time for movies and blogging has vanished!

      As for Eddie Redmayne, I think Jupiter Ascending may make any Oscar begging utterly pointless. Michael Keaton thanks him! ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not sure Redmayne kissed A LOT of ass this season :/

        Delete