Friday, February 27, 2015

(172) Goodbye, Pawnee! + links

By Sati. Friday, February 27, 2015
  •  I saw Burning Man. My God, what a beautiful film. I have no idea why it is not better known - Matthew Goode's best performance, Essie Davis providing such strong supporting work, gorgeous cinematography, amazing narrative stracture and Lisa Gerrard's lovely score. It's a really powerful movie, I'm gonna try to review it soon and hopefully someone actually checks it out.
  • The Voices was fun! The film looked great, the cast was fantastic and that cat was such a blast.Also ladies when you sleep with the guy, the thing to do immediately is if he has any severed heads in his fridge. That's like, getting laid 101.
  • Mockingjay was all right. It's not very good and it's quite boring but at least it was watchable. Natalie Dormer was severely underused and I'm Moore is just there to cash in the paycheck. I'm always stunned how wonderful Elizabeth Banks manages to be in these dumb films. She was easily the best thing about it.
  • New GoT bloooper reel is out and it's just fantastic
  • Sophie Turner is still talking and this time she says "Sansa will meet few familiar faces". I don't even have the energy to worry about what it means
  •  Let's all cry together and watch this moment from the Oscars when Michael Keaton hid his speech when Redmayne won.
  • I cannot believe people are giving him shit about it. 
  • I mostly cannot believe you fucked up this bad, the Academy. For shame.
  •  OK so there's this dog that is in Ida for few seconds. Apparently that dog is homeless and his name is Brutus. He now has a better shot at being adopted. I really hope someone takes him in. If it happens, that's even cooler than the Oscar for the movie.
  •  So the photos of Agata Trzebuchowska and Agata Kulesza smoking and drinking at the Oscar after party resurfaced and people are outraged about it. Are you kidding? The Americans criticizing I can almost understand cause it's a whole different culture and I'm pretty sure cigarettes smokers are treated with more disdain than meth users. But really, seeing fellow Polish people outraged is just sad. So many people smoke here, at the parties the rooms are just filled with smoke. And they couldn't smoke just because they were in America and "it looks bad". Their movie just won Oscar, what the fuck have you done lately?
  • I'm smoking and drinking right now. Sue me.
  • Also come on, as if people didn't snort cocaine off toilet seats during those parties.
  • Jessica Chastain joined that Snow White sequel that annoyingly won't have Kristen Stewart in it - The Huntsman. Theron and Emily Blunt will also star so this is enough to get me to see it.
  • Excerpt from the news on this new movie While We're Young "If you're twenty-five right now, it might seem to hard to believe there will come a time where your back will betray you and your knees will be so creaky that they can predict the next rainfall" are you kidding me?! This is how I feel every day and I am twenty-five! Did no one at playlist ever work for a living? Try typing for 8h straight while solving legal cases. You're gonna wish you were dead because in death there is no back pain and headache.
  • The coolest news of the week is that Neill Blomkamp is doing a new Alien movie and Ellen Ripley will be in! For me a new Alien movie is always a great thing but this is beyond awesome. I have zero faith in Ridley Scott or new Prometheus movie being anywhere near the original Alien or even first Prometheus movie.
  • Parks and Recreation is over! Hold me!
  • I've watched the final 6 episodes tonight and it was just lovely. They went Six Feet Under route in the finale with the flashbacks. There was also this really cool easter egg about Jean-Ralphio!
  • I'm gonna miss the show so much. I've been watching it since it started 7 years ago. It was one of the warmest, funniest, most unique comedy series. It replaced the longing for a good comedy after The Office ended but now there truly isn't enough to fill this void. As funny as Always Sunny is, it's very edgy and Parks has always, at the very core, been incredibly good hearted and friendly.
  • I'm gonna miss so many things. Leslie's inspiring ambition. Tom's optimism. Ann's kindness. Chris' joy. Ben's awesome look into camera moments and his obsession with calzones. Jerry/Terry/Gerry's clumsiness. Donna's fierce and inspiring pride. Andy's adorableness. Jean-Ralphio's crazy lines and especially crazy singing lines. Mona Lisa being such a hilarious wreck. And Champion, the hatred for libraries, treat yo self, what the fuck is a German muffin, Little Sebastian, Tammys, the fight with Eagleton, Perd, Joan, the awkward accountant who loved Ben's jokes. The mystery of Gail and Jerry being together, the previous Parks directors, Ron's hidden bacon and gold, The Galentine's Day, Leslie's hoarding problem, the hunting trips, JJ's diner, Duke Silver, Jen the crazy campaign manager, Bobby Neport, stoned animal control, Bert Macklin, raccoons terrorizing the town.....April being so much like me. And Ron's code of life which is also my code. 
  • I'll miss you so much, Pawnee.
  • Andrew shares few awesome thoughts on several new movie-related news
  • Ruth gives us a preview of the films opening in March
  • Brittani and MettelRay share their thoughts on Oscars
  • Meanwhile Sofia lists best dressed at the ceremony
  • Courtney shares her top 10 movies of 2014
  • ThreeRowsBack reviews It Follows
  • RELATED POSTS:

    37 comments:

    1. Oh, Burning Man.. must check that one out. But I'm working every day until 5th of March so.. I mean, if anyone, you'll understand the work thing. Though I have no paper work, I have to deal with servicing people all day.. which.. I mean.. sometimes people can be so fucking rude for no apparent reason and you have to smile and what not because that's your job.. oh well.. it's tiring.. but I'll see it before I get to your review for sure. :)

      And I bet Leo is buying one of those Lego Oscars from ebay right now!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, you have to! :P Oh God the only blessing of my job is that I don't deal with many people. But the ones that I do deal with are fucking terrible, so....

        Delete
    2. LOL at that Leo picture!

      Oh come on Keaton, who takes their speech out BEFORE their name is called? That's a rookie mistake.

      I want to start watching Parks and Rec. It's on my list after I finish The Wire, then Justified.

      That blooper reel is awesome. Especially Littlefinger tripping.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You should definitely see Parks and Rec! It's such a happy, warm and funny show!

        Delete
    3. I feel sad for Michael Keaton :(

      What's the big deal about a bunch of Polish women drinking and smoking? I may not be a smoker but if it's their thing, so what.

      I want a Lego Oscar more than the actual Oscar itself.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Me too :(

        Exactly, people just freak out for no reason.

        Delete
    4. It's a little weird that there will be both a new Alien sequel and a new Prometheus. I'm not sure what to think of either of these, yet. The last 2 Alien films were subpar. I don't think Blomkamp is a sure thing, either. I love District 9, but Elysium was just bad. I did like Prometheus, but sequels are always risky. We'll see, I guess. And Lego Oscars rule!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hated District 9 but I believe this guy is more competent director than Scott at the moment :/

        Delete
    5. People treat smokers like lepers. I don't understand it. So it's ok for people to drink themselves under the table, but not light up a cigarette. My dad lights up wherever he wants. He can also smoke a full cigarette in under 30 seconds. It's actually kind of magical.

      Burning Man is one of the Matthew Goode films I haven't seen yet. I'll put it on my list.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Holy shit 30 seconds?:D It takes me like 4 minutes and I've been smoking since forever

        It's an excellent movie, hope you'll get to see it!

        Delete
    6. I will definitely miss Parks & Rec, such a fantastic show! And those Lego Oscars are awesome!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's really one of my all time fav comedy shows, so sad to see it gone!

        Delete
    7. Thanks for the link Sati!

      Note to self: Need to do a Goode marathon soon, starting w/ Burning Man :)

      Ahah, look at Pedro falling, that GoT blooper is awesome even for those who don’t watch the show!

      Hicks, I’m already crying that Keaton didn’t win even before that Vine video came out :( I read that he was in a good mood and was gracious to people at the after party though, he’s a class act!

      Jessica Chastain and Emily Blunt in the Snow White sequel? Awesome!!

      Ahahaha, poor Leo, I’m sure lots of people crave that elusive Oscar but he just seems to be the most obvious. But hey, EVERYONE can have a LEGO Oscar now though, so maybe that’s the silver lining of The LEGO Movie’s snub! :P

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Absolutely! :)

        Yeah, it's so much fun, they really have a lot of good time on that set!

        Keaton seems like such a sweetheart. He appeared to be genuinely grateful to be part of all those ceremonies and he never kissed anyone's ass unlike that prick Redmayne.

        Yeah, apparently Chastain plays Hemsworth's love interest and Blunt is Snow Queen, the villain :)

        Delete
      2. Hey I just saw Richard Madden on Jimmy Kimmel and I immediate thought of you ;) He was telling the story about flying to London after filming that scene at the red wedding.

        WHOA, Chastain as Hemsworth love interest and Blunt as Snow Queen, this is gonna be good!! So who's gonna play Snow White then if Stewart's no longer involved??

        Delete
      3. I don't think Snow White is even gonna be in this :)

        Delete
    8. I've never even heard of The Burning Man, but I just added it to my Netflix Stream list!!!

      You know how I feel about those Alien movies. LET IT DIE!
      And...people are giving Keaton shit about having a speech prepared?!?! That's ridiculous. He had a shot at winning...and it's kind of heartbreaking. I haven't seen Redmayne, so I'll reserve judgement on his performance until then...but you know how I feel about his ass kissing antics.

      Gross.

      As far as smoking is concerned...it's a huge thing here in the states. Like, it's really looked own upon. I don't smoke, but I don't care if other people do. That's up to them. I will say this...I have three kids, so I do get pissy when someone is smoking at a public park or somewhere were kids are always present. But, as far as the Agata's are concerned...let them drink and smoke and celebrate. I hated their movie, but they deserve to be happy about that Oscar!

      Thanks for the link love!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope you get to see it!

        I love love love the franchise so I adore all the films in the series

        Yeah that he got 'cocky'. What the hell?!

        I never ever smoke near kids. I don't even smoke near my dog.

        Delete
    9. Oh my gosh, the gifset from Parks is going to make me cry. I loved the finale so much! The flash forwards were super sweet and sentimental but you wanted that for all the characters so it worked. I think I liked Jerry's the best (especially the mysterious security detail). And oh shit, I love how one of the biggest laughs came at the end with the library dedication.

      And that picture of the Ida women is awesome.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I loved how sweet everything was! I think Leslie became the President in the end but if Ben did it's also awesome

        Delete
    10. I so want to watch Mockingjay, but they said that it is better to watch it and watch immediately after that the second part. So...I will do that I guess.

      People being annoyed by a few ladies who won Oscars and smoke at the Oscars - why am I not surprised. But it is so easy to judge though. It's like a hobby to so many people.

      Poor Keaton, not only did he lose to R. which automatically makes his speech and the time he spent on it worthless but people hate on him because of it? I know he is a millionaire but I feel bad for this guy...



      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well i watched it after a year of so after the last one and it didn't hurt :)

        I hate when people stick their noses into other people's business :/

        I don't know if he is very rich, probably not seeing how after Batman he didn't have much success...I just hope he at least gets to have a better career after Birdman success

        Delete
      2. I meant it in a sense that I liked the first 2 of the Hunger Games movies, but the third one is said to have a better effect if one watches immediately after it the 4th one, which will come out next year. :)



        Delete
      3. I don't think it can have a better effect no matter when you see it, it's really average :)

        Delete
      4. I trust your advice before any other so I will watch it soon then. :)

        Delete
      5. Just watched it!
        I loved it so much! And the song? The message? Ah...I love these movies...
        And it's so terrifying to know that North Korea is pretty much like that society, a rich capital with completely manipulated population to the point they don't know half the people are starving there and heavily militarized state. The one thing that's missing is Katniss...

        Delete
      6. Russia is a lot like that too and it's on the move towards other countries now :/ I thought Mockingjay was average but I'm not a big fan of these movies to begin with. The song was nice, though

        Delete
    11. I absolutely adored that P&R finale, I will miss it so much. Those flash forwards had me so emotional.

      Still not over Redmayne's win. I thought he was good, but that was Keaton's Oscar, no doubt about it. Any thoughts on The Danish Girl?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That was really a lovely farewell episode.

        Oh, you'll read my thoughts in next RF:D

        Delete
    12. I'm excited to see what Blomkamp does with the Alien universe. Hopefully he doesn't get caught up in the concept more than the story, though.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really hope it's gonna be good. I haven't much liked his films but I pretty much enjoy everything featuring Alien :)

        Delete
    13. I feel sad for Michael Keaton too. Give the guy a break. :D

      I'm excited for Alien! I'd be even more excited if Chappie turns out to be a great movie.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Chappie looks weird - like a grown up version of Wall-E. hope it's good for that Alien movie's sake

        Delete
    14. I'm honestly pretty giddy about those Alien pictures surfacing, and Weaver being so supportive and on board with the new Alien project! So excited! Thanks for the link, girl!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I'm so happy whenever there is a new flick in Alein universe but Ellen freaking Ripley?! I'm so psyched!

        Delete
    15. I haven't heard of Burning Man, but now I'm intrigued.

      Yeah, Mockingjay was at least watchable. I can't wait for the films to be over, though.

      Keaton! :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You should definitely see Burning Man, ti's truly a wonderful film and Goode and the cinematography were outstanding

        Delete