Friday, May 22, 2015

(184) And you can't frighten me + links

By Sati. Friday, May 22, 2015
  • Thrones outrage was overwhelming this week.  Tumblr almost shat itself, the showrunners probably hid in panic room and Sophie Turner was even accused of promoting rape because she said she 'loved' that the story went there, meaning she likes to shoot challenging scenes. I mean Sophie Is 19, let's give her a break. I'm 25 and look at the dumb shit I write weekly and actually torture you with it
  •  What an overreaction.
  • That the popular culture stuff like movies and TV series depict rape for - at least now as it seems in Sansa storyline - no good reason is irresponsible. But in their livid rage those outraged are bringing it to real world further saying that Sansa is broken now. My God! People are going through horrible things in life, including rape, yet they are able to go on. I imagine for a rape survivor to watch a scene was unpleasant but what was truly the worst would be reading an article and reading that a rape victim is automatically 'broken', 'tainted' forever. I bet the people who say crap like this don't even realize that what they are doing is 10x worse than what the writers did.
  • This is an excellent article about why this was not nearly as bad as Cersei/Jaime in season 4. Please read it!
  • Holy hell though, was that scene disturbing. I saw it 4 days ago and I'm still shaken to the core. That poor girl, Catelyn's daughter....
  • You know what is more heartbreaking? Anatomy of the Scene video shows that Boltons actually destroyed direwolf statues in Winterfell. But it gets worse - there are fish buckles on Sansa's dress. As Brittani pointed out - what if that was Catelyn's old wedding dress?
  • WHY IS IT HAPPENING TO US WE ARE GOOD PEOPLE
  •  Of course the leeches gif had its renaissance because of last episode. And there was a new one also including Stannis.
  • To be honest I kinda ship Sansa with Stannis now. Yes, there is 40 years age difference between the actors but since Sophie fancies Iain Glen I cannot imagine her not fancying Stephen. Because well, everyone with eyes should. Also the difference between the characters in the book is just 22 years. They have been through so much and Stannis abhors rape and treats all women with respect. Make it happen. But most importantly don't kill him off because I'll lock myself in my room and paint tears on the walls with my own feces.
  • Sansa did look so lovely during the wedding:
  • Whatever else happened, this moment of Sansa's resistance and pride was incredible:
  • Rumor has it Ramsay faces Stannis in this season. DON'T. YOU. KILL. MY. PRECIOUS. BABY.
  • If this is gonna be the show's equivalent of Battle of Ice it makes sense - in the books we will most likely get super epic battle on the frozen lake. But with my luck what's gonna go down in the show? Ramsay torching some tents.
  • I hope my King kicks his ass. I am however so afraid for him. God, is that what non book readers felt like for 5 years now? How do you live?!
  • I made a whole bunch of gifsets this week, this being my favorite:
  • Here are the others. - 1,2,3 The last one is from the promo for this week's episode. Margaery looking feral as fuck.
  • New episode which is 2 days away and airing on Memorial Day weekend - for the first time since season 2 - finally features Stannis whose facial hair keep getting better and better:
  • GoT cast did the thing this week:
  • So all that outrage about Thrones while apparently Outlander has tons of rape? I thought that was some kinky romance show? It looks like some sick depraved series.
  • Sicario is getting very good reviews which is great. Also Emily Blunt looked absolutely stunning on Cannes Red Carpet.
  • Here is first spellbinding footage from Macbeth. Hype levels 1000/100.
  •  We have first footage of SHIRTLESS Richard Armitage in Hannibal season 3. Oh my.
  • So apparently Jack Huston is gonna play the lead in The Crow? How did I miss these news? However what's important is that there is a gender switch and now the main baddie is a woman and may be played by the wonderful Andrea Riseborough. I'm psyched if she is in.
  • Ah, money!:
  • First David Lynch returns to Twin Peaks. Of course. They threw more money at him and he is back. Good for him, you cannot make Twin Peaks without him and the man of talent deserve the money....
  • ....however when someone is talentless hack, like Jaime Dornan they do not.
  • Apparently Dornan will show his penis for additional 1.9mln$ in the next Grey movie. I'm all for full frontal but this is not the case of the actor doing it because he feels it's right. This is the case where an actor is treating his nudity as commodity. Jaime Dornan, you is a whore.
  • New Harley Quinn and The Joker pictures caused quite a stir. First there is the issue of Joker having hair that are outrageously green. Then he is seen slapping Harley. Again, the riots. Do people who throw hissy fits about this actually know the comic books story? Joker and Harley is the text book example of toxic relationship. Also let's just wait until we see Leto act in legit footage before saying he sucks, shall we?
  • I saw Every Secret Thing. It has very low score on RT and it's really a decent movie. It's worth seeing especially for the fantastic performances, especially from the great Diane Lane who really should be in more films. Also it's always nice seeing Elizabeth Banks, there is something so likable about her. The film is very disturbing, though - the flashbacks with the little child were very difficult to watch.
  • I finally saw Mad Max: Fury Road, went to see it after work today, which was the first day it played here. It was so fucking awesome. I was so engaged I didn't think for 2h at all and my mind is always wondering, worrying and thinking. I didn't even think of the possibility of Stannis dying this season - this is the highest praise I can give a movie where it gets me to engage in it to that point. It was honestly the best action movie I've seen - the action was practically relentless but there were still beautiful and poignant characters moments. The score! The visuals! Badass Charlize! Tom Hardy's voice! The guitarist! I'll have my review up soon but it's a very solid 10/10. BTW I went to see it in 2D and it was mind blowing, so I think 3D is not necessary here
  • Alex reviews Every Secret Thing 
  • Anna writes about Repulsion
  • Brittani reviews Clouds of Sils Maria
  • Thaddeus reviews Birdman
  • Andrew and Ruth participate in MettelRay's Movie Roulette
  • m.brown reviews Age of Ultron
  • Keith and Jack review Mad Max: Fury Road
  • RELATED POSTS:

    43 comments:

    1. i'm so exited for macbeth. fassbender will be amazing, as usual. not a shakespeare fan, but i hope for the best.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm most excited for Cotillard, Lady Macbeth is one of the most fascinating characters in art

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the link! I'm sooo excited for Sicario and Macbeth!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Cannot wait to see these two

        Delete
    3. I don't see the big deal over what happened at GoT.... BTW, I love Emilia's reggae song.

      Emily Blunt looks great and I'm with her on ladies needing to wear flats. They need to be comfortable.

      Jamie Dornan's getting nearly $2 million to show his penis? Why I am thinking that it's going to be a stunt cock that will play the role of his penis? Does he really have something that is worth nearly $2 million.

      If we were to measure penis size in terms of how much an actor should be paid to show his penis. Why couldn't Michael Fassbender get $20 million for his penis? Then again, Fassbender doesn't need a penis to show how good he is. He's Michael Fassbender goddamnit!!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really don't think Dornan has anything worth more than 10 bucks...

        Exactly, maybe Dornan hopes his dick will distract people from his awful acting, but please, the cock of size that big doesn't exist.

        Delete
    4. Oh man, the last Outlander episode was basically the whole last part of "Unbroken, Unbent, Unbowed" but for an hour. It was one of the most terrible viewing experiences of my life AND then we also had GoT the same week! Don't get me wrong- it was a brilliant episode with some of the best acting of the whole season and important themes and action and so on, but while I was only angrily tweeting during the Sansa scene, I was properly screaming at my laptop during Outlander. It's not that one rape is worse than another but the thing with GoT is that rape has become such a staple that it's like- really, another one? And while rape is an ever-present threat in Outlander as well, they really shocked us with who got raped and it wasn't done for shock value but made sense when it came to the characters who were affected (though I would also argue that the same applies to GoT in this instance). The villain in it is according to me worse than Joffrey and Ramsay put together. And I think you will really like the main protagonist- she's really fiesty and brave and honourable and she drinks a lot :P Also the show is by far the most romantic show I have ever seen.

      I just hope that once Dornan is done with the Fifty Shades, he gets some actual good roles. Since he's getting so much just to show his dick, he can focus on indie movies etc.

      So happy you loved Mad Max. In the middle of the movie my friend whispered to me "Is it me or is Tom Hardy's voice extra sexy in this?" Honestly though, I found his voice equally hot in Locke. And fuck, those lips! Theron was brilliant in the film.

      Also yes, I would ship Stannis and Sansa too. Just as long as he gets her out of there and nothing happens to him and Shireen.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sorry but Outlander really sounds nothing like I'd find interesting. I've seen some gifs, saw some descriptions and it's just not something I would waste time on. The amount of sex that appears to be on the show is just ludicrous. I saw a whole bunch of articles criticizing it for rape and it sounds 10x more unnecessary than what GoT is doing.

        I really don't want to see Dornan anywhere tbh :P

        I really, really, really need to see Locke now.

        Delete
    5. Man, those Macbeth scenes gave me goose pumps.. uh.. I hope they play around with that sort of use of silence but not too much.

      Also, glad you liked Mad Max.. I knew you would because I mean woah! I desperately want to see it again but I don't want to pay more for 3D because like you said, it holds on its own without it. And yes.. Tom HArdy's voice!! A bit sad he spoke so little..


      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's getting really good reviews, I'm so glad the film didn't turn out to be a disaster

        Well he spoke little but when he did it was heavenly :)

        You're welcome!

        Delete
    6. Glad Sicaro is getting positive reviews. I'm thrilled Lynch was persuaded to come back for Twin Peaks, but I won't get my hopes up until the show is officially aired.

      I agree Mad Max: Fury Road is a great movie to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Amazing action and stunts. I loved how the characters and the cars looked, just I wanted a bit more dialogue that fleshed out who they are. But it's still my #1 film of 2015 so far. I also saw it in 2D and it was a lot of fun.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah it's my #1 too but I have very high hopes for The Witch and Macbeth, what a great year for movies 2015 is shaping out to be

        Delete
    7. Have you heard of the theory of Ramsay kidnapping Shireen?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I did and I hate it. I hope he takes Selyse but what I hope for the most is him losing to Stannis

        Delete
    8. I'm so glad you linked that Raw Story article. It needs to be read, it's probably my favorite piece to come out of this fiasco. People are getting mad about it just because they think they need to be.

      The Joker in Suicide Squad looks awful, I'm sorry. Harley looks good, but not him. I can't with this movie. lol

      I'm looking forward to Every Secret Thing. I really liked the book, and I love Dakota Fanning.

      Thanks for the link! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh Fanning is so good in the movie! Hope you'll like it

        Delete
    9. LOVED the Raw Story article. More people who were angry at the show should read it, I think it'll change some minds for sure.

      Macbeth and Sicario look amazing. Lady Macbeth is one of my favourite characters ever written, and I think Marion will be perfect. Fassy will also of course be amazing. And I'm so happy Emily Blunt has a lead role in Sicario :D

      Stannis and Sansa would be a good pair. Apparently there's a theory going around that Ramsay is luring Stannis to him by kidnapping Shireen or something?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have Marion as lady Macbeth on my avatars everywhere now :) She is getting very good reviews so it's awesome

        I did hear that theory but I didn't think much of it, it just seems like too much for Shireen to be anywhere near Ramsay

        Delete
    10. I've read the Outlander books and I am catching up on the show. However, you cannot criticize GoT without criticizing Outlander which uses rape or the threat of it frequently. The one thing where Outlander skates by is that what happens at the end of the book and this season is the underlying driving force for the character in question for the next book and season 2. Let's hope Thrones follows up with Sansa, as they do not have a good history with following up on this stuff. I think that is why the controversy is happening on GoT. And for the TV viewers, not seeing any real "punishment" after the RW, Ned's death...Sansa being raped probably feels like a pile on at this point.
      However, we do have to be fair and give the show time to have their consequences for what happens to Sansa. The Sansa and Ramsey scene is what the last episode ended on. Let's hope the showrunners give us something satisfying for Sansa as the season draws to a close. I don't ship Sansa with anyone honestly, I just hope if she does run into Stannis that he is kind to her and displays some of the affection for her that he does Jon.
      Well, given that there is such a negative vibe around the Fifty Shades movies, they are hoping Dornan peen will bring the horny ladies into the theaters. I can't say that I blame him for asking for more money to do that since the goal of having him show it is for the sequel to make a lot of money in the theaters. But his peen cannot make up for the lack of chemistry he and Dakota Johnson have. Just seeing them on the red carpet and stumbling through interviews was painful enough. I would not wish Fifty Shades on the likes of Richard Madden and Lily James but those two actually LIKE each other and have sexual chemistry, imagine if they did the movie....
      Love Emily Blunt and the fact she called out Cannes organizers on their ban of flats. I want to see Mad Max at some point. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really hope there is gonna be something good in terms of revenge and retaliation tonight. Sansa needs to take a stand, get the fuck out of there and hopefully slaughter either one of the Boltons or that idiot Littlefinger.

        Delete
    11. I'm very curious, but not necessarily excited for Macbeth or The Crow. Hope they're both done well. And I won't knock the 50 Shades dude for taking the extra $2 mil to whip out his little fella. If anyone wants to offer me that much I'll drop my drawers, too. Call me a ho, if you like.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ho, he ain't got enough for 2mln :D

        Delete
    12. For me, there's only 3 ways in which this Sansa idiocy can end in a positive way : 1. She kills Ramsay or does something to actively get him killed or to run away, not just beg/convince Theon to do everything; 2. Stannis kills Ramsay/frees Winterfell and saves her(a combination of 1 and 2 is what I live for, with a side of Stannis/Sansa aka the best possible royal couple in Westeros, which means it won't happen) ; 3. Brienne sneaks in and saves Sansa then does absolutely nothing to Stannis.
      I think,right now, that the most likely to happen is nr 3 but with the added "bonus" of Brienne going after Stannis, which is a horrible thought and I shall be clutching my Brienne action figure and pray that D&D won't ruin my two favorite characters in one go, I would be way too bitter to enjoy Brienne if that happens.
      What is very confusing is that Melisandre is with Stannis and if she's somehow supposed to be involved in Jon's arc, if he bites the dust this season or whatever, then how is that possible and, if not, then what's with all that drama in the glimpses with Selyse and her,why burn Shireen if not for Stannis...I cannnnnnooooooooooot with this. One thing is for certain , I'll be asking to join on you in that room to pain tears on walls together, if anything happens to Stannis. Better yet, let's just thrown shit at whoever is to blame for such a mortal sin!

      I hope next week I can go see Mad Max, most probably in 4D as well, which I heard is a super cool experience, I'm so pumped!

      Lol that Jaime Dornan thing is hilarious, I've been hearing about the negotiations for his peen's guest appearance for a while now, I thought he wouldn't do it. Honestly, to me it's no big deal ,there should be more peen and male nudity on tv and in movies. Maybe he doesn't feel that good about his peen lol. Nothing can make me want to watch that movie or read those books, not even Stephen Dillane's peen, I would just look at screencaps. But I'm sure there's enough women still who are legit stans of the 50 Shades of Grey franchise in general.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think Brienne intent to kill Stannis would spoil his death being a surprise and D&D love surprising and shocking. Also Brienne killing him would actively ruin her character - even those who don't like stannis see he is the only hope for the North so if he is killed by her there will be prayer circles for her death. I think a more real threat is Ramsay :/

        As for Melisandre I think that she still has time to get to Jon, who I assume will be warging in the beginning of season 6.

        oooh 4d! man it's gonna be intense then, I was barely containing my excitement and I only had 2D :)

        I saw the movie and it was so bad that it was funny but Dornan is honestly a horrible actor

        Delete
      2. U know, I was watching the last 3 episodes of season 2, with my mother, today(I convinced her to watch and now she's a bit hooked lol)and there was that conversation between Theon and the Maester of Winterfelland he said that Ned said Winterfell can resist an attack from an army of 10.000 men ,with just 500(something like that, anyway). Immediately I thought of Stannis vs the Boltons, his bigger, better army vs the defenses of Winterfell and the advantage they may offer. It would really be so idiotic if he got killed now, he could add so much,especially when it comes to visual storytelling, later on, with his fighting spirit, army and complexity. Ugh, he should win, listen to Sansa, make her Warden of the North and stick around for a while, preparing his next moves. Lol and of course they should just make babies too but whatever, at least some intense glances.
        I hope that Brienne thing wasn't foreshadowing but there's lots of it on this show so who knows.
        Melisandre at this point should just go get lost somewhere beyond the Wall and take Selyse with her.

        Normally I don't even find most 3D movies that great, after the novelty of it went away, I think a good 4K projection is nicer, but I'm looking forward to the 4D, never went to an actual motion picture in such a format.

        Lol I watched Jupiter Ascending for how bad it was because it was so funny and entertaining in its horrible ridiculousness, but I couldn't with 50 Shades, you're a hero!

        Delete
      3. I think the way it goes it that neither in books nor in the show the battle will be actually in WF - the armies of Boltons will for some reason meet Stannis in the snow outside. I think that the show is replacing the battle for now with Ramsay attacking Stannis which makes me worried because I believe Ramsay and Roose are both rumored to survive this season :/

        Jupiter Ascending was so entertaining in its awfulness :)

        Delete
      4. Oh noooo, say it ain't so, it really cannot be that he dies for Ramsay and Roose(as hot as Michael is) to live, that would totally reek of D&'s stupidity! Ugh,so stressful! Maybe they live cause it ends in a cliffhanger or something ,or the rumors are bad or....I don't even know. HBO should force them to keep Stephen.

        Jupiter Ascending is so bad they couldn't even kill Sean Bean's character haha! Now I want to see Tomorrowland for Hugh Laurie but I get the feeling it's bad so I might stick to Veep for now

        Delete
      5. Oh God I don't think anyone could convince me to see Tomorrowland, it looks so juvenile

        Delete
    13. I have been trying so hard to avoid GoT spoilers and, because I'm usually busy being a soccer mom, I practically live in a cave. :-P But even I have heard about the controversial scene involving Sansa. It does sound awful, but this series has included a spate of murders plus torture, dismemberments, and God knows what else. What makes this any worse?

      I hope to post my review of Every Secret Thing today. If I can get it in before soccer. :-P

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think in general rape is worse imho because this is such a profound violation - and with Sansa it's even worse because she was a virgin - and she has to live with it. It's just so awful.

        Delete
    14. That article about Sansa's scene is very good. I love rationallity and so many people twist the truth to their liking! 2+3 is always 5, Sansa's scene was not unneceasary, A is always A and if people want to present their wrong opinions they can get the fuck away.

      My God, the feminazis are gona shit themselves when they see Harley being slapped.

      Oh and you don't write crap, a specific kind of people do.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They are already on it on tumblr, all they need is blurry behind the scenes footage :)

        Delete
    15. Thanks for the link Margaret! Glad to hear you love Mad Max, I'm gonna go tomorrow, getting even more excited now after reading all the rave reviews. Oooh, Emily Blunt looked absolutely stunning in that dress, I just love her and her comments about Cannes' absurd rule about having to wear high heels on the red carpet.

      Ahah yeah, all of Richard's fans are beside themselves seeing those shirtless pics from Hannibal. I still like him but right now my heart belongs only to Stanley :P

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Hope you like MM:FR!

        I really hope Armitage is good, he deserves a better career

        Delete
      2. I'm going to see it this afternoon! It's gotta be better than Tomorrowland.

        I think Richard's getting more roles, I just saw he got cast in a new film w/ Naomie Harris.

        Delete
      3. I cannot wait to read your review!

        Delete
    16. The reviews out of Cannes for so many films have me so excited! I can't wait for Macbeth. I really loved The Snowtown Murders (as much as someone can 'love' something that...disturbing) so I have faith in Kurzel...and obviously in Cotillard!

      Those Harley and Joker pics are interesting...color me intrigued.

      I fucking hate me for not seeing Mad Max yet.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Go see Mad Max! i cannot even convey how awesome it is!

        Delete
    17. I know I'm late as shit, but please don't think I don't appreciate the link-love. It's appreciated, believe me. As is that pic of Emily Blunt. Sweet Jesus....

      I think I may actually see Mad Max this weekend, but it's probably 50/50. I really want to see it, and could actually be at it THIS MOMENT, but sleep and work have won once again. Man, I hate those two. Well, not sleep. That dude is cool as f--k.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. OMG do it! I'm seriously saying this is the best action flick ever :D

        Delete
    18. YAY! You loved Fury Road! I loved it even more after a second watch. :)

      Macbeth looks terrific, and I'm interested in Every Secret Thing, which looks like it's very underrated.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. oh EST is very underrated, from what I've seen the people in the blogosphere liked it much more than the critics did

        Delete