Friday, August 7, 2015

(195) Welcome to Westeros, Al + links

By Sati. Friday, August 7, 2015
  • Yep. Ian McShane is gonna be on Game of Thrones.
  • This is almost too much. I was like "whhaaaat?" when I saw the news. I almost thought these incompetent hacks from EW were simply trolling us. But it turns out that it is true - Al Swearengen is coming to Westeros. I only wish the show was still worthy of him being in it. 
  • It is not.
  • What is wrong with HBO? First they let Dumb and Dumber wreck the show beyond belief with whatever the fuck that season 5 was and now they are giving them 3 more seasons and all those amazing actors are signing up (Max Von Sydow joined too...that was another news that made me think "is it April Fools? Is it for real?". He is playing the recast role of Three Eyed Raven aka old dude sitting in a tree). I cannot get over how the last episodes were ridiculously rushed and filled with 'hurry up' fan fic and now they are gonna go 8 seasons which means they could have had just followed the books in the first place, go to fucking Riverlands already and spare us the atrocity of Sansa and Jaime's storylines this year.
  • Oh and to add to my Thrones watches-it-hates-it-still-talks-about-it schizophrenia they are casting someone the description of whom sounds like Frey. Stoneheart hype never dies. 
  • As for the great and powerful McShane we still don't know who he is playing but we know he won't have much screen time, his part however is "crucial". My bet? Howland Reed.
  • Oh my God, Wet Hot American Summer the series is almost impossibly dumb (mostly in fun way) but it has such a huge dose of Rudd!
  • I actually kinda liked They Came Together. It's not laugh out loud funny but it is clever at poking fun at so many of romantic comedy tropes. I just wish I didn't find Amy Poehler so annoying. She is fine as Leslie Knope but this movie needed someone, I don't know a bit more cute, she is kinda shrill. If this was loosely based on You've got Mail...please, Meg Ryan is cute as a button. Amy is kinda mean looking.
  • Also, how insane was her character? --->
  • A bonus is that Paul says the words "I wanna fuck you so bad" in that one. Nevermind the context, which is seriously disturbing.
  • So I caught up with the entire second season of True Detective during Saturday night and I really don't understand why people are being so harsh on it. The atmosphere is good, the music is great, the plot is engaging and I really don't know why people go 'what is going on?' when the narrative is pretty straightforward, all these cops are doing are following the leads. The acting is good and Vaughn is fun to watch. There are some stupid sub plots like the whole deal with the rape and the paternity thing and Vaughn's character and his wife's marital problems but other than that it's an entertaining show. 
  • The atmosphere and the music are the best things about it and I really like Rachel McAdams' performance and character. I really don't get the hate because that show has a lot more going for it than a whole bunch of crap on TV these days and that massacre at the end of episode 4 was really one of the best scenes I've seen in a really long time.
  • I really think this may be McAdams' best work. She should submit the episode with the orgy for Emmy consideration, it was really amazing.
  • Also, fucking finally:
  • What I did not enjoy was Trainwreck. That Schumer chick...I just don't find her funny. The film wasn't nearly as amusing as other movies from Apatow - come on, even funny people had hilarious Eric Bana - and other than Bill Hader there was nothing worth seeing there. They even wasted Tilda Swinton. This was filled with a bunch of nasty, vulgar scenes which weren't funny - Apatow's jokes not always land in his films but mostly they do, here they crashed and burned - and the whole film seems like a vehicle to please Schumer's ego - oh you're so cool and funny! You can get any guy you want even if your looks are below average, you are inconsiderate, rude and don't care about people's feelings! 
  • Come on, really?!
  • Alexander Skarsgard went to the premiere of his recent movie in drag, proving he is prettier than most women out there.
  • Miles Teller is a male (?) equivalent of JLaw. 
  • People call him "unfiltered". 
  • I call him a twat. 
  • This is from Esquire interview "The waitress delivers the entrĂ©es, scallops for him and pork belly for you. The pork looks great and you offer him some. "I'll take a little bit," he says, sawing at it. Then: "I can't cut this." You have to cut his meat for him, a man who ten minutes earlier showed you an iPhone photo of his back muscles to prove how strong he is. He wants you to cut it small.". 
  • God, the journalist should have just stabbed him.
  • Fantastic Four movie is getting ripped apart to shreds. It seems it is actually worse than Batman & Robin because it is actually taking itself seriously, so instead of being one of those so bad it's funny movies it's just dull and terrible.
  • I went to see The Gift today. It's a fantastic movie....until the ending. It's just....stupid. It's paper thin to the point that you have a solution to the whole mystery as soon as you realize what has happened. It's not a bad idea, I think that those who scream bloody murder about ending being 'deplorable' are hysterics, but it's not a well written ending. The most important thing in the twisty thriller is a final twist and that twist was just not thought out at all. It's such a shame because it really would be one of the year's best films, but the ending made me decrease rating from 9/10 to 7/10. It is fantastically directed though and I'm all for Edgerton delivering more creepy, dark movies like this one. 
  • My old phone kinda broke - literally - this week. It was a flip phone, which I was fond of using. Again, people, I do own a VCR so a flip phone is nothing. So now I have Samsung smartphone which is like something from sci-finovel to me. It also means I have instagram now which means that I was putting you all through horrific pictures of me and my sad little expensive clothes buying  pictures of my yorkie taking filled life:
  • But, thanks to that amazing technology I can now read e-books at work and I'm halfway through Girl on a Train. It's pretty good book but there was this huge big secret uncovered halfway through, from one of the main character's past, involving an infant and it's just so saddening and tragic. I hope the book becomes more thrilling and less depressing soon. The movie is apparently in the works and it has a huge potential, I hope as rumoured Emily Blunt plays the main part because it's a very baity role - an alcoholic who broke down because of divorce and now takes a train and watches people. Blunt would be so good in such a role. 
  • m.brown reviews The Skeleton Twins
  • Brittani reviews Blue Ruin which I really need to see
  • Alex lists 15 songs that were so perfectly used in movies that everyone who plans on using them again should just give up 
  • Mariah reviews Mission Impossible - Rouge Nation, which I'll catch tonight
  • Andrew shares his movie awards for 2014
  • Ruth shares her Five for Fifth for August
  • Keith reviews Child 44 which I hope to see this weekend
  • RELATED POSTS:

    33 comments:

    1. Hey thanks for the link...ALWAYS appreciated!

      I'm totally with you on Schumer. She seems to be 'the hot thing' right now but I don't find her funny at all. And Miles Teller...I've never understood the enthusiasm that follows him. Sure he was good in Whiplash but there is the rest of his body of work....nope.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I don't know what the big deal about this chick is, never seen her show and it seems to be very critically acclaimed.

        Delete
    2. Yeah, Teller seems to be a tool. I've read a few of his interviews, and he's certainly not afraid to put his foot in his mouth. I still like him though, as an actor. He's got talent, but being a dick won't get you far, at least not for long.

      The new casting announcements for Game of Thrones sound delicious.

      I've heard things about the ending of The Gift that mirror your sentiments...but I'm all for Edgerton SLAYING, so I'm in.

      Skarsgard is giving real Laura Dern realness in that pic!

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The Gift is definitely worth seeing, though Edgerton is much more skilled at acting and directing than writing.

        Delete
    3. I don't get the bitching about True Detective either. It's good, and it's not hard to follow. Someone on Heart Tree posted an article from Slate that spelled everything out too for those who can't understand. lol

      Miles Teller is a dick, but god that interviewer was terrible too. She sounded like she had something against him to start then wrote the whole thing in condescending second person. Just, no.

      I'm glad you liked The Gift! I was thinking of seeing that or Fantastic Four on Monday, and now maybe I'll go with that since Fantastic Four is getting ripped to shreds. I'm seeing Dark Places tomorrow. :)

      I can't believe you had a flip phone. That's hilarious. I also have a Samsung. I love it.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Journalist probably had a good reason to write like that, given his personality...the guy is just begging to be kicked out the business.

        Hope you liked Dark Places! I think the reviews it is getting are way too harsh

        Delete
    4. There's a big reason why I won't see Trainwreck.... John Cena. I'm fucking sick of that asshole. He's one of many reasons why I don't watch WWE anymore. Plus, I've seen him in other movies and he just fucking sucks. I just hate the fact that he portrays himself as a superhero whenever he's performing (that's because he works for a sports entertainment company, not a wrestling organization as what WWE claims to be) and bury new talent.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He's actually one of the better things in the movie so this should tell you how bad this flick is :)

        Delete
    5. Hi! I've been reading your stuff for a while, which I enjoy, but don't really get to commenting.

      I agree, Thrones has been so underwhelming this past year. I felt this from the very beginning of the season. I barely finished it because I didn't see anything interesting in it. Also, I have a feeling they'll go the Stoneheart way with Jon instead of Catelyn. Don't really know how to feel about that. Anyway, I think in the past years, instead of the great fanatasy medieval Shakespeare-like show that it was it's just something that has fans riled up and thirsty for blood and revenge.

      I am thinking of watching that Wet Hot American Summer show. Would you recommend it? I should see the film before right?

      I haven't seen the new season of True Detective but I am positive that people have such bad reaction to it because of the great first season.

      Personally I think I will love Trainwreck (i really like her show) but I can see why you would find Amy Schumer not funny. I think I am already getting a little over her party girl routine/ identity. But I think she can go in different directions too. You should watch her 12 Angry Men episode, it's really something.

      Skarsgaard was indeed prettier than the women attending. He looked like I Swedish super model from the 70's.

      I hate it when actors that do good work like Miles Teller act so foolishly. It's really a shame. And I am actually sorry for the F4 cast and that their movie didn't work. I intend to see The Gift next week, heard good stuff about.

      I do want to read Girl On A Train too. I loved Gone Girl, both the book and film, and I heard this book is similar in some ways.

      Have a nice week!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So sorry for the late response and thanks so much for visiting!

        I'm really hoping Stoneheart shows up. It would be the biggest waste I've ever seen in any adaptation not to have her. It has so much potential, I just cannot believe they would really pass on it.

        Well I think you should see the film first to see if you like the jokes, it's pretty specific type of humour. The show is very similar and it's a prequel, some people actually enjoyed the show more than the film

        I really should give her a shot and see her stuff, it's just that I have so little time lately :/

        Girl on a Train is very good. Not Gone Girl good but I definitely recommend it!

        Delete
    6. I actually liked Trainwreck more than I expected. But I wouldn't really say it was a comedy, it was like two movie in one, it was a bit confusing but it still was an alright watch for me.

      And Skarsgard looks banging.. only he can pull that off !

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I found the whole thing to be a literal trainwreck :) But Hader was very funny

        Delete
    7. I'm with you on Trainwreck. I watched it to see what was with Schumer but was not impressed with her. I don't find her funny at all. Miles Teller as an actor is good, though his body of work varies from awesome (like Whiplash) to awful. The personalities of his characters seem to resemble him, or he's just been playing awfully similar characters in different situations.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah she is like Lena Dunham a bit except not nearly as awful, but pretty much as unfunny

        Delete
    8. Haven't seen Trainwreck, yet, but Apatow's been on a steady for a decline for a decade so I won't completely blame Schumer, no matter how bad it is. Lol at Miles Teller. I hope the journalist told him "Cut it your damn self."

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think the journalist just did what he wanted, gotta love how much dignity the press people have these days

        Delete
    9. Hi Sati! Thank you for the link. I am not sold on Amy Schumer either. She's had a few funny sketches, but I'm much more partial to Melissa McCarthy. I'm really saddened by the 'Fantastic Four.' I can't believe the reviews are that bad. I thought perhaps 40 to 50% on rotten tomatoes...that was 'Man of Steel' territory. Nope. FF is at 9%. That's really really bad. I'm not sure what happened? Ian McShane is too good for GoTs. He's so absolutely fantastic. He can read the phone book to me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think the director was in way over his head and the studio kept meddling too. It's really an unbelievable mess, it looks so ugly like career-ending ugly.

        Delete
      2. I really think directors should still take responsibility when a movie ends up being terrible, even if the studio is also to blame for meddling. But studios tend to do that anyway so it takes a strong director to be able to push back or come up with a strong enough vision like say, Nolan was w/ the Batman films, that they'd leave them alone. I had no desire to see FF even from the trailers and sounds like it's good that I skipped it.

        Delete
      3. Yeah FF doesn't even sound like so bad that it's funny film, it just sounds horribly dreadful :/

        Delete
    10. So I started reading the The Girl on the Train and I've read a third of the book so far and it's really intriguing. Emily Blunt is a really good choice but for some reason I imagine Cate Blanchett as the alcoholic while reading the book.

      Be careful with the smartphone. I dropped mine once and its screen cracked, so I'm careful now. :d

      I cannot care less about new Fantastic Four movie. I am getting a fatigue from special effects.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Cate would be good but she is too old for the part now :/

        Oh I am, this thing was crazy expensive.

        This one doesn't even look like so bad that's it's funny flick, so there is literally no reason to see it

        Delete
      2. Right? It is just that her face pops up in my mind.

        Delete
    11. Urgh Miles Teller… at least he's a good actor, because I find him insufferable.

      Max von Sydow AND Ian McShane? Yes yes yes yes. Hopefully they can fight back against whatever D&D have in store for next season.

      I agree, I am really enjoying True Detective this season. Rachel McAdams, by far the best performance and character on the show. Hopefully this leads to her getting more roles in film and on TV.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I only found him good in Whiplash...I think him only delivering one good role doesn't merit being this much of an asshole, nothing does really.

        I\m looking forward to see how D&D manage to fuck this up just as they did Siddig's involvement.

        Delete
    12. Thanks for the link Margaret!

      I heard about Ian McShane joining GoT, he’s a fantastic actor! “I only wish the show was still worthy of him being in it.” I kinda of had a hunch you’d say that.

      As for Trainwreck, I have no desire to see it. I think Amy was funny in some interviews but she kind of use the same jokes/schtick a lot, and she’s rather mean spirited which I don’t find funny at all. I have no desire to see Fantastic Four either, and sounds like my gut was right, it turns out to be horrible. I don't get what the fuss about Teller too, boy a lot of these new young actors can get so cocky so quickly. That's why I partly wish my darling Stanley Weber would just stay obscure & away from Hollywood.

      Oh I want to see The Gift! I miss the press screening but I REALLY like Joel Edgerton, good to hear his directorial debut is decent. He’s a darn good actor too.

      Hey, I felt like it took me ages to finally get an iPhone. Even then it was a hand-me down from my husband who’s far more of a tech geek than I am.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        Yeah it's just obnoxious with all these young actors who have like one famous performance and they act like they are better than everyone. With Teller is particularly noticeable, but lately even actors who were in the biz for a long time have been saying bullshit - I'll link what Natalie Dormer said in my new RF

        I hope you'll get to see The Gift soon! It's very good but it has some issues with the script

        I have a good handle on that smartphone now but it's still odd that it can do so many things :)

        Delete
    13. Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed the second season of True Detective as well. I have been very confused over these past 8 weeks by people saying it was so difficult to follow. I thought it was straightforward, and certainly no more difficult to follow than season 1. The orgy scene was incredible, and yeah, McAdams must submit that episode for Emmy consideration.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I really think all those complaints were exaggerated, it's not like season 1 was absolutely flawless either

        Delete
    14. I'm planning to binge watch True Detective season 2 soon, and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, I'll disagree with the negative reviews. :)

      I'll see Trainwreck eventually, though I'm not expecting much.

      Teller is just...blah. I wanted to like Fantastic Four, but it's just very uninteresting and nothing special.

      The Gift is a great little thriller, but I agree the ending isn't fully developed. Glad to see Rebecca Hall in a good movie again.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's really not bad! But Trainwreck kinda is :/

        Delete