Friday, September 18, 2015

(201) None of your damn business + links

By Sati. Friday, September 18, 2015
  • So Tom Hardy - the journalist's biggest nightmare. This whole press conference is a laugh riot. He says he won't discuss the Revenant because it's not the time to discuss The Revenant but you just know he won't be there for the promo thing of that one, unless there are snipers ready to take out those who dare ask any questions about that Inarittu/Hardy feud
  • What is astounding is that now some people - including this reporter who works, and hopefully not for long,  for Time - are taking shots at Hardy. Just look at that article - the first line? How the hell is it relevant to his work what his sexuality is? Later in the 'article' the author implies Hardy is being homophobic. No, what is being homophobic is implying that actor's sexuality is in any way relevant to actor's craft. There are so many men out there afraid to come out because they worry people won't buy them as romantic leads in male/female romantic pairings on screen anymore. And this kind of stupid statement, from Time no less, reaffirms that belief. I thought it was a prestigious newspaper but honestly when I opened the link my first thought was I was reading a piece from Jezebel. 
  • The dog just didn't want to leave during last week's Chatty Man:
  • That's a smart dog.
  • I've been making A LOT of Mad Max edits. Here's the ladies. the soundtrack and I even made 2 with Max/Furiosa and lyrics to Nine Inch Nails songs (I'm so brilliant)
  • We're in this Together:
  • and Fragile:
  • It looks like the big awards contenders are flopping left and right - The Danish Girl has several rotten reviews, Our Brand is Crisis underperformed, Suffragette is, apparently, crap. In fact the only movies that seem to be getting praise are Carol - still some say it's too polished, Steve Jobs - some say it's admirable but not the kind of a movie one loves - and Spotlight, which is probably getting the best reviews out of all. I Saw the Light flopped massively so I think it's safe to say Tom Hiddleston won't be getting any big nominations any time soon.
  • The person people are starting to predict is Johnny Depp in Black Mass. I just don't see him being nominated but maybe it's wishful thinking. I mean he already has too many nominations - what the hell was he nominated for when it comes to his performance in Finding Neverland?! - he has been putting the same lazy, cashing in the check crap out there for years and honestly, is there really no one else to nominate? I'm probably being unfair, I haven't seen the movie, Depp looks intense in the part, he is getting good reviews. But it's still Depp hiding behind make up. Remember in the 90's? How he was capable of being good without resorting to trickery? Don Juan DeMarco (hugely underrated movie btw)? What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • This man left his dogs in Australia and now he is doing Dior commercials which make me laugh so hard I feel I may suffocate whenever I see them. Just....don't nominate him.
  • It is actually looking like a weak year when it comes to male actors - look who is getting nominated - your standard gets in for playing real person nominations - Fassbender, Redmayne (vomits) possibly Depp - and your standard DiCaprio goes all out because it's madness nomination. There isn't even really a good candidate for 5th one. And with actresses it's a whole different story with Blanchett having two films in the race, Bullock and Mulligan probably getting in based on previous Academy love. Then there is Brie Larson, but her movie's distributor is A24. So she is as doomed as my chances of seeing The Witch this year.
  • Two films that kinda got mixed response - High-Rise and The Dressmaker look very interesting.
  • Hey, how does a drivel like this qualifies as a review?
  • One actor feud we had was Paul Bettany saying really douchy thing about Jason Statham. Statham was great in Spy and his early Ritchie films and he is so good at his action thing. Not everyone needs to be a serious drama actor. Bettany, while great in Ultron, is coming off as a huge *beep* I hate when actors criticize other actors for absolutely no reason. And if it wasn't for Ultron Bettany wouldn't be relevant at all. Awful behavior on his part.
  • Another feud and big surprise - turns out Richard Madden is kinda an asshole. He took shots at Cara Delevingne for being unprofessional, which is big talk from someone whose biggest movie cred is the outline of his dick being visible in a Disney movie, and now he is backing out. So he went after young actress, just starting in the business and then he apologized on twitter? Douche.
  •  Uncle Geoffrey from Bridget Jones is gonna play Randyll Tarly.
  • Yep, the perv is gonna be Sam's strict and terrible father. This makes me think there is a very good chance Ian McShane is playing septon Meribald, who has one of the most amazing speeches in the entire series. But in the hands of these writers? It will be butchered beyond recognition.
  • Judging by all the talk and excitement, which I don't really pay attention to, the Emmys are coming? A bunch of people are predicting Thrones to win for best drama. I bet they will. It's perfectly in alignment with Emmys logic to award this show for the worst season it had. Embarrassingly awful, insultingly bad season.
  • Anna loved Birdman
  • Alex shares 41 things he loves about Drive 
  • MettelRay review the Man from UNKLE
  • Ruth shares her picks for top 3 journalists in films
  • Brittani shares her Emmys predictions
  • vinnieh reviews enchanting My Blueberry Nights
  • RELATED POSTS:

    30 comments:

    1. Thanks for the link! I thought The Danish Girl and Our Brand of Crisis looked quite bad, so their mediocre-to-poor reviews don't surprise me. I just hope Redmayne isn't an Oscar front runner again this year.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Oh God Redmayne just being nominated for this bait would be too much but him winning second in the row would be appalling

        Delete
    2. I totally agree Hardy's sexuality has no bearing on his work. I'll reserve judgment on Depp until I actually see Black Mass. Another fun post.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! These reporters really need to fuck off Hardy's sex life

        Delete
    3. Mad Max: Fury Road & NIN...... *splooge*

      Please, I don't Eddie Redmayne to get another Oscar. He's become insufferable.

      Paul Bettany taking shots at Jason Statham because he don't think he's a good actor? What a twat. I oughta kick his bloody ass, Statham style.

      Those questions about sexuality towards Tom Hardy was unprofessional. I don't blame him for getting angry. I hope his dogs go after that journalist and shit on that journalist's porch. Bad, bad journalist!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I had a feeling you'll like NIN/Fury Road combination :)

        Delete
    4. Thank you so much for the link, you really are amazing and a great blogging friend.

      ReplyDelete
    5. The Danish Girl flopping? But Redmayne is so thirsty for his next Oscar! I'm going to see Black Mass on Monday so hopefully Johnny Depp is as good as they're saying. He hasn't had a good performance since Sweeney Todd.

      Okay, no more happy gifs of the guy playing Tarly, I have to keep thinking of him as mean and cruel. lol

      I know I said this on Heart Tree, but I still think Richard Madden didn't even see Cara's interview and just read about it. She wasn't that bad. The hosts were rude and she's new at this so she didn't know how to properly react. Not everyone can be Mila Kunis and just start interviewing the interviewer when things get weird.

      Thanks for the link. I look forward to getting every single one of those predictions wrong because the Emmys hate me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, his best work in years was that 21 Jump Street cameo :/

        Yeah also why talk about an interview that happened weeks ago? It seems like a 'i havent caused a stir in a bit and i have a new movie out let's just say some stuff' stunt

        You're welcome! Not as much as Emmys hate worthy GoT actors

        Delete
    6. I talked about the actor spats and Hardy on Under the Heart tree, so I won't repeat my comments here.
      I am really shocked to hear all of these supposed award bait movies not doing well at TIFF. But if we are spared year two of Eddie begging for an Oscar, I'm good with that. And I think if Hiddleston has even a shot at an Oscar, he will make Eddie look like an amateur in the "please give it to me" department.
      I am curious about Black Mass but I am interested in Whitey Bolger and curious about Depp's performance.
      I can see GoT winning for best series on the year that they easily had their worst season, because the Emmys roll like that. And D&D, thanks to comments made by NCW, are bothered by the show's continual losses in that category. I'd be happy to see Lena Headey win though.
      Uncle Geoffrey looks creepy enough to play Randall Tarly.


      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nah, Hiddleston is always very sincere and I cannot imagine him giving interviews or buttering up people in the business just so that he can get nominations. Even with Danish girl under performing the movie is just too baity for Academy not to nominate it.

        Delete
    7. Madden realized he felt like an asshole and he apologizes...he wants so bad for the academy to like him so he made an excuse by blaming someone else and now he also wants for the people to like him. We all have our bad sides but that's just stupid.

      Depp seems to be playing someone else other than his usually clown character. Yes, he loves make up, but if the performance is good credit should be given where it's due.

      GoT season 5 lacked the intensity and the live of the past seasons - I read Cersei's story and they could have made it a whole lot more interesting and intense without depleting the budget. They could have used so many things (like the fleet she builds and the loses, the Iron Bank etc.). And they still might use them, but this season really needed more stuff going on and they had the material to do it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hear that the make up is distracting people from the performances but some say he may have a shot at Academy nom...I don't know, I just wish he gave up on make up all together he really doesn't need that to give convincing performances, he did so in the past

        This season was just the worst. Cersei whitewashing was beyond ridiculous

        Delete
    8. This Awards race is so weird. LOL, maybe Inside Out will win Best Picture! I'm kidding, but really...all these perceived contenders are seriously flopping all over the place. Watch The Revenant slay everything! Spotlights sudden boost is fascinating to me, because it started the screenings with so-so reviews and then slew the festival circuit.

      I loved Cara's reaction to Madden's criticism. HILARIOUS! Girl seems on it. Not sure if she's a good actress or anything, but she at least has her wits about her.

      I will see Black Mass for Edgerton. I will close my eyes when Depp is on the screen.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't remember seeing Cara anywhere in films but she seems temperamental and sometimes it translates well on the screen. Her as mermaid is like the only reason I'm gonna see Pan

        Delete
    9. OH Tom.. I should watch Mad Max again because I mean.. yes. I should. But I've got so much reading to do it is hard to watch anything else.

      Besides, so many good movies are coming this month and the next, it will be hard to find the time to rewatch the good ones.

      Also, I already know I'll be so disappointed at the Emmys this year. I have this feeling of utter disappointment...

      PS: Thanks for the link by the way and dropping by at MR to comment!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. First of all - beautiful avatar!

        I don't think I commented on Unkle review yet because I have yet to see the film, but when I do I'll be back :)

        Delete
    10. SO disappointed to hear that I Saw the Light sucked...it's screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, and I was so ecstatic. Bubble officially burst :\

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, it got pretty lousy reviews :/

        Delete
    11. Hello Margaret! Boy it's been a hectic weekend w/ having a friend from out of town stay w/ us so I could barely got time to even look at my laptop, let alone use it. THANK YOU so much for the link, always appreciate the mention.

      I knew when I saw your post title that 'None of your damn business' refers to Tom Hardy and yeah, the nerve that reporter asked him. And Hardy handled it like a pro, love him!! Seriously, his sexuality is his own effin' business indeed, can't people just concentrate on his work as a great actor??! Sheesh!

      As for those *award* contenders, well I don't really pay attention to all the Oscar buzz, it's meaningless anyway. The only one I'm really curious to see is Spotlight, the cast alone is killer! As for Depp, well I'm just about to post my friend's review of Black Mass and he said the makeup is actually really awful, but he seems to actually bothered to act in it so that's something, ahah.

      All the celebrity feuds online just made me laugh, it's like high school all over again, I guess for some high school is never over, ha!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I just can't get over that there is actual backlash for this targeted at Hardy. What the hell? If a woman was asked something like this there would be no one even questioning her right to privacy and now there are hordes of gay men offended. What are they mad they won't have a shot with him? It's ridiculous

        I think these feuds is just their way to stay "relevant" and give the media something to report, but it's so juvenile

        Delete
    12. Lol poor Tom Hiddleston, he is lucky he has the marvel films.
      The Danish Girl may have a couple of bad reviews, but I'm still uber excited. I really love Redmayne and Vikander.
      I have no desire to see a film about Steve Jobs, but the reviews have been pretty good so it looks like I have to lol.

      That Mad Max edit is lovely!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well he also has Crimson Peak and High-Rise looks interesting :)

        I hate both Redmayne and Vikander so much, so it's gonna be fun for me seeing this one :lol:

        Thank you!

        Delete
    13. I really can't believe the people who are defending that reporter. How is it appropriate for a reporter to attempt to "out" a heterosexual man who just happens to have a pregnant girlfriend? Hardy is not and has never been ashamed of his sexuality. I remember that interview in which the reporter is referring to. Hardy said, "of course I've had bisexual experiences, I'm an actor." It still doesn't make him gay or bisexual. Hardy was attempting to be inclusive and honest. He is really one of the few people who doesn't care what anyone thinks!

      Oh I don't know if you know this, but I have a basset hound named Cletus! I love that gif. Thank you!

      I'd like to think that Paul Bettany was kidding about Statham. Perhaps they goad each other? I hope that's the case. If not, I really don't get insulting Statham. He's not the best actor, but he has incredible charisma, he's a martial artist, and a stuntman. People have different talents. I finally saw 'Spy' and I absolutely adored him in that movie!

      I just can't take Depp seriously anymore...no matter how good his role in 'Black Mass' is. He's made too many terrible movies over the last 15 years.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's not even a girlfriend, but his wife! That reporter was inappropriate but the ones blowing it out of the proportion are just acting in a reprehensible manner.

        Oh awesome! Basset hounds are so adorable!

        Oh Statham is my current win for Spy. The guy is so funny, I hope he does more comedies. He may not be a great dramatic actor but he is good in his action stuff and he is brilliant in comedies too - his early Ritchie stuff is priceless. Bettany was being a dick here.

        Delete
    14. Thanks heaps for the linkage Sati! I cannot believe that Uncle Geoffrey is Randyll Tarly. That blows my mind!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! I have a feeling his scenes will be hilarious, poor Sam!

        Delete
    15. Nice Mad Max gifs!

      LOL, I rewatched Finding Neverland recently, and I LOVED Depp's performance. :/ I think he might get a nomination for Black Mass, given his comeback narrative and a potentially weaker Best Actor field.

      Best Actress could be a stronger field. Can't wait to see the performances from Blanchett (in Carol and Truth), Larson, and Mulligan.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh Actress is definitely stronger this year...I think DiCaprio may actually finally win unless the Academy really hates the movie

        Delete