Friday, July 1, 2016

(242) All Wildfire + links

By Sati. Friday, July 1, 2016
  • Well Lyanna Mormont slayed again. She slayed to the point I don't think anyone minds the fact she was given the iconic North Remembers speech. Although what am I saying. This fanbase is insane.
  • The finale was very cinematic and the speech from Lyanna may be my favorite scene in the season. It was amazing....but they messed up in the end. Why would they show Littlefinger's sour expression and then Sansa? Ugh.
  • Still until that moment Lyanna shaming the Lords for not backing the Starks and the Lords declaring Jon the King in North, one by one, while also ignoring Sansa....it was beautiful. The Stark score, the quick cuts between the swords and Jon slowly rising from his seat as those people we love - Davos and Lyanna - shouted in his honor, that was pure magic.
  • They showed Margaery's wit again right before she was killed. What a shame. Natalie Dormer brought her A game in those final moments. She will be missed by I'm sure everyone.
  • The whole sequence of wildfire going off was spectacular in terms of execution.
  •  However as good as the wildfire explosion was the sequence had some problems that were not there in other great moments of the show like Red Wedding or Bronn setting Wildfie off during Blackwater. The script. The nicest thing I can say about it was that it was not very good. Why didn't High Sparrow order the Queen to be brought before the trial of Loras began? Why did he start without the King if the King is now the representative of the Faith?  Why did Lancel just randomly follow this kid? Why kill Pycelle die elsewhere? Little things....but taking down scene a notch. Which is a shame because other than this the score, the directing, the acting - all terrific. Also there is behind the scenes feature on HBO website and it was lovely seeing people clapping for Jonathan Pryce. He did wonders with that script.
  • Speaking of wonders, Olenna and Varys and Ellaria, finally with some good lines, prevented Dorne scene from being awful.
  • HBO has made a serious mistake by not submitting Liam Cunningham for Emmy consideration. This was spectacular acting. They submitted Dinklage, Waldau and Harington instead. Really, HBO?
  • The scene of Cersei taunting Unella specifically saying what? you aren't gonna die today was Headey's best acting in the entire season. I have a feeling we may be seeing Unella in next season. The last shots of King's Landing in season 6 finale were like a teaser of reign of terror and in the books Qyburn, now Cersei's Hand of the Queen, experiments on people. Something gross may be coming our way next year.
  • Don't get me started on Arya's scene. It was so lazy, rushed and anticlimactic. How did she get into the castle? How did she manage to take down two Freys in their own, no doubt, guarded castle? How did she manage to hack the bodies and bake them into pies? how did she manage to get to Walder Frey, the lord of the castle? Ridiculous. 
  • Also where in 65 minute long finale were Sandor, Brienne and Jorah? And where the fuck is Gendry?
  • So while the acting was great and the execution was spectacular I can just roll my eyes when people call this finale the best finale yet. Where was the build up to Tower of Joy? Because I can bet 50% of the audience has no idea who Jon's dad is no matter what stupid graph HBO puts up on their website. This is the biggest reveal in the entire fucking series. They should have mentioned the name of Jon's dad continuously this season so when they show that child people would fucking react like Joaquin Phoenix when he saw that alien in Signs. They should have this realization of what Jon's parentage means in the grand scheme of things. Instead people just went "oh so Jon is a legitimate Stark? Cool". That is embarrassing for the writers.
  •  I'll keep it short today because I'm still on vacation so I'm not doing anything. Other than getting my medical tests done which is so much fun (sarcasm sign). Also the general mood here is not so great because in spite of having Russell Crowe and Patrick Wilson (photo tweeted during the game last night by Wilson's lovely wife of Polish origin) rooting for our team we lost with Portugal yesterday which sucks for a lot of reasons but also because the player who didn't score penalty is my favorite :/ Well now we have to do what everyone should do - root for Iceland. And their crazy, delightful commentator.
  • This week, in entertainment:
  • EW after shitting themselves over those pictures of Hiddles and Swift making out are now wondering if it's a sham. WOW. Well it took you guys a moment but you are finally there, bravo.
  • Justin Timberlake faux pas and now black people hate him.
  • It looks like they kinda remade Meet my Parents except with Bryan Cranston and James Franco. I hate myself for laughing when that chick got hit with a rock.
  • McConaughey looks kinda gross on the set of The Dark Tower
  • Remember that time Sully Sullenberger landed on Hudson and saved those people? Clint Eastwood does. He made a movie about it with Tom Hanks in a leading role. It looks like Flight 2.0 except more boring.
  • Suicide Squad behind the scenes footage is out along with more bizarre posters.
  • Margot Robbie also did Calvin Klein campaign. Oh my.
  • It sucks seeing Legend of Tarzan heading towards awful opening weekend and getting terrible reviews. I'm sure the film is bad and a waste of money.....but Alex! But Margot! That's so much more than most movies have going for them!
  • Brittani recaps Game of Thrones finale
  • Courtney and Alex review The Neon Demon 
  • Khalid gives his movie awards for 2001
  • m.brown reviews the sequel to Independence Day
  • RELATED POSTS:

    20 comments:

    1. Sully really does look like Flight 2.0. I'm guessing Clint Eastwood is hungry for another Oscar.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm shocked he is still making movies, but he should use his talent on something better than this

        Delete
    2. I was rooting for Poland as well. I just flat-out don't like Cristian Ronaldo. He's overrated.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He is a smug asshole too

        Delete
      2. Indeed. Messi is a better player.

        Delete
      3. He is, I hope he isn't really quitting

        Delete
    3. I'm with you on Sully. We did not need a movie for this.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Totally unnecessary, just like that Da Vinci sequel 2 Hanks is also starring in

        Delete
    4. I LOST YOU AFTER LAST SEASON and now, finally, after the finale, I found your page again with my most favourite thrones talk ever (I got a new computer, see..). will make sure to catch up! thank you for the good work!!
      have a nice day, all the way from austria :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I'm not doing recaps anymore (since 6x08), but I always talk about the show in Friday's posts

        Delete
    5. What Sullenberger did was nothing short of amazing...but why did we need a movie on that? Talk about Oscar bait.

      I don't even care that Lyanna got the North Remembers speech, it was so perfect. I liked the finale quite a bit, I'd probably rate it behind S1's, actually. Aside from Arya and seeing the Sham Snakes again it was amazing.

      The Justin Timberlake shit is so stupid, IMO. I've officially heard "check your privilege" too many times.

      Not as stupid as Tom Hiddleston's and Taylor Swift's PR romance though. RIP respect for Hiddles.

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't think they will ever top finale for season 1 now :/ The writing is just considerably worse. There is no way a scene like this thing in Twins would happen anywhere in season 1

        Delete
    6. Thanks for the link! I loved the staging and execution of that wildfire explosion sequence. So, so good!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Yeah, the execution of the scene was very good, but it was no RW imho

        Delete
    7. Thanks for the link!

      You totally nailed it with the Sully/Flight 2.0 analogy. It's all I could think of while watching the trailer. It's like we've already seen this before!

      Not really surprised about Legend of Tarzan doing poorly. It's like every year we have these live-action adaptations of classic books like Pan last year, and they just don't work, yet Hollywood continues shoving them down our throats.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I think it did a little better since it was a long weekend in US. It doesn't look nowhere near as bad as Pan which I don't think I'd ever be tempted to see :)

        Delete
    8. Legend of Tarzan is actually not as horrible as I thought it'd be. I had a very low expectation for it I guess, I only went to see it because of Margot, but I didn't hate it. I thought Samuel L Jackson was a hoot! As for that Sully movie, yeah I have no idea how they'd stretch such a simple story into a 2-hour movie, I don't know if it's gonna be worth watching.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think I'll catch Tarzan on DVD, I'm glad to read it doesn't suck! It would be a waste of Alex and Margot if it did

        Delete
    9. The marketing team for Suicide Squad deserves an award...they've been teasing this movie for a year now, and they've been keeping my attention. This film better not fail me!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I really hope it's great! They can do so much with those characters!

        Delete