Friday, June 22, 2012

(32) Magnificent Maleficent + links

By Sati. Friday, June 22, 2012
  • First photo from Maleficent appeared online showing Angelina Jolie as the iconic villain from Sleeping Beauty. She looks absolutely perfect. I can't wait for this movie, though the guy directing it was involved in Alice in Wonderland and worked on Oz, the Great and powerful - first one had extremely annoying set design - I hate this cartoonish bright colors everywhere and the fake looking crap that is supposed to be whimsical and cute but is just awful looking - the second, for some reason, I think may be the same. I'd really love Maleficent to be like Sleepy Hallow - dark, creepy but not without ligther touch at times. Also why the hell is the movie being released in 2014? They started working on it this week and it will take them this long to do this thing? I hate waiting for movies for such a long damn time.
  • So how does everyone like new look of the blog? I really wanted to make it more summery with a bit of nautical elements since I love stripes and blue and it just reminds me of the sea. I also changed the header a little, centered the titles on the blog and changed other details like that. I attempted to use custom font on the blog too but I didn't quite figure out how to do that one yet.
  • I passed my exam today. God I was so lucky, the three questions I got were from the stuff I read and leasing contract which was one of the very few things I actually understood. So now I have holidays and apart from legal training which will last two weeks I have no commitments, no responsibilities and for the first time in months I do not have some crappy book to read. I will watch movies, meet with my friends and play with my dog. I have to retake labor law exam which is the only one I failed, but that's in September so I'm not worried yet. And the best part is that I will finally get to read book 5 of The Song of Ice and Fire.
  • I used photo of Gustav as a main image for Summertime post and I can't believe not one of you posted a comment on how cute he looks! Come on! I took him for the walk on the beach for the first time last week and he really loved it. Especially since he discovered that if he digs deep enough the sand is cold and wet.
  • I'm looking for new shows to watch. The first I will see Luther, since ever since Prometheus I have a massive crush on Idris Elba, then Shameless and then maybe The Big C. What do you guys think of those three shows? Any others you can recommend?
  • Since I finally have free time I may do some of the lists I was trying to do for a long time on the blog. I don't know where I will fit this one but Toby and Michael's interactions from The Office will definitely have their spot there. There were times that I watched the show only to see the scenes those two had together.
  • I haven't seen any movies this week, but next week I plan to see Cosmopolis and Mildred Pierce HBO series again. It's so fantastic. Evan Rachel Wood is just fascinating there and Winslet delivers my favorite performance of hers, along with the one from Revolutionary Road, which I also need to see again. DiCaprio is incredible in this one.
  • I finally caught up with new episodes of True Blood and I'm happy to report that they are much better than most of the season 4. There are some flaws - Sam is still useless, Tara is still alive and Bill is still around but between Steve Newlin cracking me up, Jason being his usual hilarious self, Eric fucking women, the crazy religious ceremony, Jessica being awesome and Vampire take on the Bible I really can't complain. Even Paquin didn't piss me off as much as she usually does. Though I have to say I don't remember any of the things that happened in those two episodes being in the books. I just hope the route around the books True Blood is taking will not be copied by people responsible for Game of Thrones.
links:
and now just because I miss Parks and Recreation:

32 comments:

  1. Oh thanks for the love. I do recommend Higher Ground.

    I love the new look.

    I love the Mildred Pierce mini-series. Todd Haynes rules!

    Last Sunday's episode of True Blood was a mixed bag. I really wished they did kill off Tara.

    Still, there's stuff for me to see like Jessica, Pam, Jason, and of course, Eric. Alexander Skarsgard is among the few guys I'm gay for. I would love for him and Michael Fassbender wrestle each other and not wear anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred Pierce is sooo good, I'm so glad it's mini series so we got 5 hours of Wood and Winslet being so amazing.

      Tara is just completely useless and boring. She was fun in season 1 but now she is so annoying.

      I'd watch them wrestle for sure ^^Although Fass is so skinny I don't know if he would stand a chance.

      Delete
  2. I do like the new look of your blog. I hear you were runner up for best blog design at the Lammys (I'm not yet a member so am not sure) and this here shows why. Add to that the lovely photos you add to your posts and I'm sure you'll win next year. I myself am too lazy to make changes to mine (lame excuse for having no design talent). Anyway thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, almost won ^^ French Toast Sunday is really incredible, I don't think it's blogger based though, which is at times quite challenging with all the codes and options provided by it.

      I like playing around with the design, it's something that is so much fun for me.

      Delete
  3. Maleficent looks amazing, Angelina Jolie looks perfect for the part, I am curious to see the script and what direction they are going to use for it!
    The blog is very nice, I like the pastel colors!
    New shows? Have you seen Girls? How I made it in America? Both HBO, both 25 min long, both in NYC, both really cool, if you like these types of shows! For period dramas, try Pillars of the Earth and there's a BBC show called Hours or something like that and it's very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so glad she took the role she is perfect indeed!

      Thank you, glad you lik it! I haven't seen Girls yet, but I really need to - Alex's continuous praise for it really make it seem like a great series. I'm gonna try to check all of those out, I love good tv series and I finally have some free time now :)

      Delete
  4. My writing partner has been raving about Luther. I should get started on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's as good as people say!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait for Malificient! Jolie is going to be brilliant. I'm a big fan of Evan Rachel Wood, she was great in Mildred Pierce, you should watch Thirteen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Thirteen - Wood was excellent in it, the film was very interesting too. I think she is very talented, she was really lovely in last year's Ides of March.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the linkage!! Much appreciated!

    And here's a piece of advice:

    Idris Elba = THE WIRE

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only saw season 1 of The Wire and I plan to catch up on th series soon, realy loved the 1st season but it was so intense I couldn't watch it episode after episode like I do with most shows.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Sati for the link, you're too kind :) I like the new look, but I probably still got used to the old one. Like Asrap, I heard you're the runner up for best design (I've voted for you). I want to change mine as well if I have the time.
    Don't know that it was your dog in the picture, thought it was a scene from a summer movie. That's pretty nice purposely doing a photo shoot for the blog (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I always bring my camera when we are outside, he usually does things that are worth taking pictures or videos of :)

      Delete
  8. OK Gustav is very cute and congrats on passing the exam! I need to watch more of the American Office. I loved the Brit version but have never really seen much of the American version. Must correct this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Office is pretty funny when Steve Carrell is in it, the episodes ever since he left are really messy.

      Delete
  9. Angelina looks uh-mazing!! Perfect choice for Maleficent (judging by the photographs. I can't wait for the film!)
    Look the new look for the blog, and Gustav looks adorable! Shoooo cute!!
    Thanks for the link! I didn't realise your review of Prometheus wasn't finished. I could have sworn that you'd posted it, but then, I was deliberately avoiding Prometheus reviews until I'd seen the film, so I very probably imagined it, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is napping on my lap right now :)

      I posted so many Prometheus related posts that one can easily be mistaken ^^ And yes, it seems everyone is reviewing it nowadays, which is awesome I love reading reviews about this one.

      Delete
  10. I was blown away when I first saw the pictures of Angela Jolie as Maleficent. She looks absolutely perfect, I am just hoping that the direction doesn't become flat and one sided. I, like you hope for darkness echoed with some lightness.. It would be so easy to take this film right over to the dark side though.

    I agree with Dave up there. The Wire is a much watch and rather cool.

    As I am new to your blog, I don't know what it looked like before but I like it now. I will visit again, that's for sure.

    Ps: dog is cute as

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they chose the dark approach that is better than Alice in Wonderland or Dark Shadows, there is nothing worse than taking an evil character and making the story into satire or silly parody.

      Thank you and thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the link! Digging the new look of the blog!

    You'll have to keep us posted on what you think of Luther. That has been on my radar for a while but just haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you're welcome!

      If I manage to see it all in two weeks I'll review it for Saturday TV Special segment. Being in love with an actor always speeds up my watching of movies/series :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the link! I saw 3 Women (1977) you recommended, excellent film indeed, and made me want to write down my thoughts on it.

    Loved the Parks and Recreation screenshots, and yes, you have a cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked this one! I completely forgot to review it back when I saw it for the first time so I'll probably rewatch it soon.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Without spoiling anything about the fifth book, you can expect it to be much like the fourth, just with the characters that the fourth did not cover. In other words, expect things to take a LONG time to get anywhere. At least it has a section at the end where we get a little more info on the folks from book 4, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's very long, but fortunetly I won't read it too fast - who knows when we are getting next book :/

      Delete
  14. I so thought that that was Gustav on the Summertime post, but I wasn't sure. Yes, Gustav is very cute!

    Congrats on passing your exam. Always a relief when that happens, right?

    I've yet to catch up with True Blood. It is on the most awkward night so hopefully I can find it on the internet. I'm so cheap!

    Thanks for the link, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I don't need to spend my vacations reading those crappy books again.

      Hope you are going to like new episodes and you're welcome!

      Delete
  15. Angelina Jolie is gorgeous evil in that movie still, but indeed, 2014, really? They must be kidding.

    Gustav is so cute! :D

    Mildred Pierce series is a must-watch for me someday just because I love Kate Winslet so much, and I'm curious about Guy Pearce and Evan Rachel Wood's work there.

    Thanks for the link again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      The 2014 release date is batshit, if they will steadily post more promotional material I may die because of the anticipation.

      Mildred Pierce is for me with REvolutionary Road best work by Winslet. Pearce and Wood are both amazing in it.

      Delete
  16. Congrats on passing your exam! I agree with Dave, you’ve just gotta watch The Wire. It’s the best show to ever air on television. Just that good.

    And thank you SO MUCH for the link here and for featuring Earrings on your Most Anticipated list. I’m so honored to be your blogging friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm near the end of the first season of The Wire and it is awesome!

      You're very welcome! Can't wait to review your film once I watch it!

      Delete