Friday, June 29, 2012

(33) Red, white, blue's in the skies, summer's in the air and baby, heaven's in your eyes + links

By Sati. Friday, June 29, 2012

Wining and dining, drinking and driving, excessive buying, overdosin', dyin',
On our drugs and our love and our dreams and our rage.
  • Lana del Rey's new video is out. It is for the song National Anthem and it is mindblowingly gorgeous. I thought her video for Summertime Sadness, with her and Jaime King will be shown first, but this one is even better - Lana plays Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Onassis in it. I love videos with reenactment of Kennedy assasination - Marilyn Manson's Coma White is one of my alll time faovrites. So are the opening credits of Watchmen. Be sure to check out the photos that inspired the video.

  • If Angelina Jolie is flying on the set of Maleficient already how come we will see the movie in 2014?
  • Chloe Morez looks hilarious on the set of Carrie. They should just make it into comedy.
  • I heard this week that if somebody doesn't stand it when something happens to dogs they should not be watching Moonrise Kingdom. Good God, what did Anderson do?!
  • Our beloved Uggie got his own star on the walk of fame. This is so adorable and it's nice to see Uggie all dashing and happy again. He is currently enjoying his retirement in his mansion.
  • I have seen no movies this week except for the two I caught on TV because I got caught up in The Wire. I'm only on season 1 but it is brilliant and every time Major Rawls is telling people off it is just ingenious -  "Move that fucking desk out of my unit. I do not want that fucking man's desk in my unit" - that one had me laughing for several minutes. And Idris Elba. Good God, what a fine dark chocolate. Also I'm so grateful for English subtitles. Even with them on sometimes I remember Michael Scott in The Office saying "I've been watching The Wire recently - I don't understand a word of it".
  • Nora Ephron who brought us so many gorgeous romantic comedies passed away this Tuesday. I love You've Got Mail. It's one of the most charming and beautiful romance movies I've seen.
  • Lots of movies I plan to see on July - beginning with Les Infideles with Jean Dujardin wearing suits and having a lot of sex in it. If there won't be any updates on the blog for several days it will mean one thing - his hotness has finally managed to kill me.
  • I will also see Detachment, Brave, Road to Nowhere, Salmon Fishing in Yemen and Alex Withrow's Earrings.
  • I will also try to see The Gray for the first time and Taken again, because there are not many things in the universe more bad ass than Liam Neeson being pissed off and fighting off the bad guys.
  • I know I promised to review Love Crime as soon as possible but you guys told me to watch The Wire. So now I'm glued to the screen and have no strength to review it :)
  • Charlize Theron shaved her head for the new Mad Max movie. This is inexcusable. Angels are not supposed to be bald.
  • Speaking of Charlize there is hilarious new video of her stalking some dude over at Funny or Die.
  • New trailer for Frankenweenie appeared online and it looks awesome. I really hope this one is going to be good - I don't think I can stand another Tim Burton disappointment.

  • The two films I caught on TV were one of my favorite movies by Woody Allen - Husbands and Wives and the film I have not seen before - The Assigment. Now the first one is brilliant - it has Judy Davis in my favorite performance of hers and one of the most magical moments of Allen's movies when his character gives his student (played by Juliette Lewis) a music box during her birthday party. Then they kiss while there is a storm outside. 
  • The second movie I started watching somewhere in the beginning - I like jumping through the channels late at night and catching the movie where you see all those actors you know but have no idea what the movie is about. This one had Aidan Quinn, Donald Sutherland and Ben Kingsley in it and it was pretty good. It also made me wonder what ever happened to Aidan Quinn? In addition to having one of the most magical blue eyes I've seen he was in quite a bit of good movies in the 90's - Practical Magic, Legends of the Fall, Blink and Michael Collins. And then after that, pretty much nothing worth mentioning.
  • New photo of Selina Kyle headed to jaill cell surfaced. I'm still skeptical about Hathaway - her features are way too distinctive to wear a mask and pretend she is someone different without being recognized - I mean people with one blind eye would be able to say who she is. At the very least I hope she will be fun in the role. There is also a new TV spot that promises that Christian Bale may have a bit more chemistry with his leading lady than he usually has:

links:

34 comments:

  1. I love the new Lana Del Rey video, and the funny thing is, I was imagining JFK and Jackie O. instead of Lana and the guy, and hum.... interesting, ahaha

    That last prometheus graphic is funny, it reminds me of Jude Law in A.I. Oh, I must catch up with the new Futurama episodes, it's an hilarious show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of her videos, they are so stylish and have so much detail.

      Oh me too, I love the show - it's hilarious!

      Delete
  2. The Wire is awesome. A show with the detailed complexity of the best novels, and the drama of the best films, with none of the lazy tricks directors and writers use to help or force the audience to follow along. Because of that, it is the only TV show that I regularly rewatch, and each time I discover something brilliant that I missed before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of summing up the greatest aspects of the show. It's really quite mindblowing and it keeps me on the edge of the seat. I rewatch many shows but this one may be among them once I finish it.

      Delete
  3. Selina Kyle in a men's prison? Nolan better have something pretty special up his sleeve to explain this. But having Catwoman as Batman's sidekick is way cooler than having Robin wear a nipple suit or saying " Holy (insert dialogue), Batman!!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I really hope Bale will try and look interested this time. I really can't remember last time he had chemistry with his female partner in the movie.

      Delete
  4. Glad you got started on The Wire. I think I've seen the entire series through about 4 times now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, these many times? I'm sure I will rewatch in the future but it's very intense show.

      Delete
  5. Haha love Chloe's face in that first picture.
    Awwww, I'm worried about what happens in Moonrise Kingdom now too - not the dogs Anderson!

    You've also made me even more excited for The Dark Knight Rises now. It's sooo agonisingly close.

    Thanks for the mention too, appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yeah, I want to see it too and I hope this one won't have any ferry/sonar nonsense.

      Delete
  6. That Charlize Theron video is AMAZING! What a legend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is hilarious, love her sense of humour. There are other videos with her on Funny or Die worth checking out too!

      Delete
  7. When IMDb posted those pictures with Uggie getting his star, it totally made my day.

    Oooh, Angelina is flying, that's awesome! Maybe, 2014 is a joke?

    Charlize is such a dedicated actress. She might be a great competition for Portman who in my opinion the best good-looking actress when bald. I admire those who can change themselves for a part like that.

    Thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i saw it on TV and it was so adorable, the way they lifted him and pressed his paws to make a mark :)

      Yeah it's admirable, but really, what a waste of gorgeous hair :)

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  8. The new Lana del Rey video is amazing, I love the cinematography and her voice during the intro and the outro is just butter.
    Uhmm...no offence, but Uggie, A DOG, got a star of the Walk of fame after one movie, and there are hundreds of fantastic actors in Hollywood who haven't got theirs yet? This is not really fair!
    Oh, Aidan Quinn, where have you gone? I love Legends of the Fall, another great childhood movie for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stop watching it, what a gorgeous work that video is.

      I think we should be happy for those recognized and not the ones who didn't get the star, after all Uggie did make a bit of history being so promiment in Oscar season and BP winner.

      Legends of the Fall is lovely, but Pitt was the most memorable one from this movie for me :)

      Delete
  9. I have promised myself I will watch The Wire one day. And The Sopranos. And Mad Men. And Boardwalk Empire. And Deadwood. And Game of Thrones. And Weeds. Ugh, there's just too much to watch and not enough time.

    Thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are in for a treat with every single of these shows!

      Delete
  10. Thanks Sati for the linkage!

    I think Theron would look lovely anyway, bald or not. And, I need to see Nora Ephron's best movies. I have this sudden crave before the news. That's a very cute news about Uggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      If you haven't seen it already check out You've Got Mail it's simply enchanting!

      Delete
  11. The inventive Lana del Rey videos are kind of an event these days, amazing. I don't how she does it, because I like the songs more when I see the music video(happened also with Carmen). Don't they change the music a bit for the video?

    Uggie's retirement in mansion, ha ha, depends if we'll see The Artist 2, I guess, if the dog's not too old by then. Or other dog projects, imdb don't have data for dogs as far as I know... ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the songs are the same, but there are some additions in the beginning and the end to fit the length and the stories. The videos are awesome, I love how cinsistent and fascinating her style is.

      I think Uggie is too old to perform as much as he did in The Artist again, but I know his coach has others dogs too and teaches them tricks :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the link, Sati, very kind of you! Hope you enjoy Brave too!

    Lana del Rey is so gorgeous and she's a great singer, what a combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! At this point I don't think there is any way that movie can disappoint me:)

      She really is, hope she sticks to her style for next albums, I love this retro feel to her music.

      Delete
  13. I'm running behind on my blog visiting!

    Lana Del Ray has some of the most magical music videos out right now. Love this new one too.

    I'm playing catch up with The Wire too, I'm so happy to hear you're loving it too! I'm at the end of season 3, (im)patiently waiting for TV to get around to season 4.

    This scene from ep 4 has to be one of my all time favourites!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sNZ7ulO1RQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana's videos are a breath of fresh air - I hate pretty much all of the music videos nowadays except for hers.

      I'm in the beginning of season 2 now but my watching slowed down a little because I started Luther this week.

      This is an AMAZING scene. It was just brilliant and one of the most memorable from season 1!

      Delete
  14. Oh and thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the link! While I didn't like Lana live on SNL, I still think the production values on the CD are very good and still enjoy it. Her videos are always interesting too and National Anthem was no exception. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love her CD, there are some songs that are weak links but most of the others is insanely addictive. She has such a great style, I really love it. The ideas behind her videos are quite inspired and I loved every single of them.

      Delete
  16. So cool to see you are going through The Wire for the first time. Season one is pretty awesome, and it only gets better from there. Season four is probably my all-time favorite from any TV show ever. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear many great things about season 4. I'm currently on season 2 and it's great but a bit more impressive than season 1.

      Delete
  17. THANK YOU for the link! You take your time on that Love Crime review. The Wire demands to be seen. It's all in the game, homie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is :) Hope to finish season 2 this week!

      Delete