Friday, July 6, 2012

(34) Kiss me. Kill me. Do something. + links

By Sati. Friday, July 6, 2012
  • I started watching Luther and it is fantastic. At first I thought it will be just a show about a cop solving crimes but there was a lovely surprise - Ruth Wilson, who played Jane Eyre in BBC's version of the novel, plays Alice Morgan, charming psychopath who is playing the game of cat and mouse with the main character. And the chemistry between her and Idris Elba is just explosive. I'm gonna write more about the show in tomorrow's Saturday TV Special.
  • I caught Sean Penn's The Pledge on TV this week and it was pretty good. The cast was incredibly impressive - Jack Nicholson, Aaron Eckhart, Helen Mirren, Patricia Clarkson, Benicio Del Toro, Robin Wright and Mickey Rourke. The thing that made the movie unforgettable for me was truly horrific and very realistic ending.
  • Here's a little bit of Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace being adorable:
 
  • I'm halfway through the 2nd season of The Wire and it is great, though I like it a little bit less than s1. There are some great scenes and I was quite shocked when one character died.
    Also it's great to see lovely Amy Ryan in it and I can't help but laugh that the actor who plays silly Andy in True Blood is the main criminal in this season. My favorite moment so far was Omar in the court and when he was walking in Stringer looked at him with contempt and said "Faggot". Hilarious scene. And when this happened ---
    I blacked out for several minutes.
  • I saw The Raven and Salmon Fishing in Yemen. Both were all right, but nothing special. First one had some really great moments of gore and you don't see this often in movies anymore and the latter was quite charming and Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor had great chemistry.
  • I finally got my PC to work so now I need to get used to my old monitor and keyboard which is odd. But the good news I have tons of stuff here so Screaming Sunday will make reappearance soon.
  • Check out Charlize Theron being hilarious again.
  • New still from Brian De Palma's Passion appeared online and I cannot believe how spoilerish it is. I'm so glad I already saw Love Crime.
  • First picture of Naomi Watts as Princess Diana appeared online too and she looks pretty amazing, though I still think she is too beautiful for this part. I hear Oscar bells.
  •  There is also the first poster for Oz: The Great and Powerful and I really dislike it. It looks like a bad combo between Alice in Wonderland and Lord of the Rings.
links:
  • m.brown and Stevee review Shame
  • Diana reviews Atonement
  • asrap virtuoso writes about The History of Batman on Screen
  • Sofia writes about lovely and not often talked about romantic comedy One Fine Day
  • Jaina, Scott and Jack review Killer Joe, the movie I can't wait to see.
  • Ruth writes about impressive ending credits of Captain America which I consider to be better than the movie itself.
  • Pete ranks 2012 movie releases he has seen so far.
  • Chip reviews Another Earth which hopefully I'll finally get to see this month.
  • Alex lists performances that may have a shot in Oscar race this year
  • Check out Lesya's awesome Paris in Genres
  • Steven reviews Christopher Nolan's Following which I may see soon.
...and everyone should check out fantastic trailer  
for Alex Withrow's Earrings


39 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link love. Love that moment with Noomi and Fassy... so cute. I saw that clip from Charlize Theron. Please, put her in a comedy! A Will Ferrell comedy or something that's for women by women and with extra raunchy stuff co-starring Kate Winslet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think pretty soon they will be able to put together the movie just out of her clips on Funny or Die :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link, Sati! The Pledge has an ridiculously great cast, it must be pretty awesome. Otherwise, what a waste of talent! And you're right, that poster is hideous...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel nauseaous just from looking at it. The Pledge was pretty good - it started off as a thriller but then it became pretty intense character study.

      Delete
  3. I really want to see the Wire, now that you talk so much about it *adding to my To Watch list*
    Thanks for the link, Sati!
    The Earrings trailer was great, I'm glad you're helping him promote it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should watch it is truly a fantastic series, HBO does no wrong!

      You're welcome! I loved the trailer too, it was awesome I'm sure his movie will be great.

      Delete
  4. That video makes me love Charlize Theron even more. Ryan Seacreast would be half her height though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? He would be lucky, though :)

      Delete
  5. Those Charlize Theron videos are so ridiculously funny. She's just one of my favorite people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so awesome. I pretty much love everything she does now and her sense of humour is fantastic.

      Delete
  6. Great read as always! I love how Cary Grant-esque Clooney is in One Fine Day. Following is actually my favorite Nolan film. Highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Clooney was just irresistible in that one, well he almost always is. Him and Pfeiffer were great together. Really? Well, I'll definetly see this one!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the link!

    Something to make you happy - I started watching Game of Thrones today. I've got through two episodes so far, and I'm really digging it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Oh, awesome! Keep me informed about your thoughts about later episodes, the series just keeps getting better and better!

      Delete
  8. Ooh Luther. I will eventually watch it at some point this year. Ruth Wilson was great as Jane Eyre.

    I love Charlize. I actually like the Oz poster, because it shows everything we know about the story and doesn't give anything away yet, which is what teaser posters should do.

    Love Watts as Princess Diana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilson is really fantastic. She is so much fun in Luther, really one of my favorite female characters in TV.

      I'm sure Watts will be awesome, just hoping the film will be good - not another Iron Lady nightmare.

      Delete
  9. Great list Sati.

    Love Crime is in my Netflix queue and by the looks of it I should probably catch that.

    Double the Elba (I like it :)) Luther is awesome. The first series really benefited from the interplay between Ruth Wilson and Idris Elba. They have wonderful chemistry and made this must see TV for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, great movie and I strongly encourage everyone to see it before Passion hits the cinemas.

      It really is, such a fantastic show and their chemistry is incredible to witness. I hope we will see more of Alice in season 3.

      Delete
  10. Effing loved Alex's Earrings trailer - can't wait!!
    I'm still...undecided about The Great and Powerful Oz poster. At a quick glance I liked it, but the more I look at it, the more I worry that this film is going to be very Alice in Wonderland-ish (which I didn't hate, but the visuals were quite garish).
    I hope you get to see Another Earth soon - I really loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This trailer is just incredible. I think I saw it 10 times already.

      I hated visuals in AiW and in 3D it was so hideous - I felt as if I will go blind just from looking at it. Unfortunetly the same dude is behind Maleficient too and that makes me worried for the look of the movie.

      Delete
  11. Holy shit, Sati. THANK YOU for such a great shout out. Genuinely speechless here.

    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again for the link!



    And I'm in for Another Earth soon, too. Very interested in that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Can't wait for your review of it, need to check boos and yeys :)

      Delete
  13. Rapace and Fassbender are in love! Theron: what a legend! And thanks so much for the link! Heading over to watch Alex's trailer now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! His trailer is so good one can only imagine how great the film will be.

      Delete
  14. I'm curious about The Pledge. It's still seems strange that Sean Penn is a director. It's hard for me to perceive him that way. I only saw Into the Wild from him and it was really good.

    I love the gifs you share here! Haha, awesome.

    Both The Raven and Salmon Fishing are a must for me, but I don't expect them to shake the world.

    I really liked those Naomi Watts pictures (both official and opposite) a la Princess Di. Agreed on Oscar bells.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pledge is actually shot much in the same way Into the Wild was, with all the long shots and lingering moments.

      Thanks! Both of those were quite boring, especially the latter but they are worth checking out, though they are quite forgettable.

      Delete
  15. Hope you get to see Another Earth real soon. It's a peculiar movie but I loved it. And watch out for the last shot of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to watch it this week. I will, thanks!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the link love Lady Sati! Oooh I like all the pics of Idris Elba, he's so charismatic. You should rewatch Rocknrolla as he's so awesome in it. I want to see Luther now.

    LOVE this post, soo much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So charismatic and so damn hot! :) I really need to rewatch it, I don't remember him being in it :(

      Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Nice, glad to hear you are digging Luther! Now I'm even more interested in checking that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, really one of the better shows in recent years.

      Delete
  18. I really regret missing out on Luther when it rolled around here first time. Well, I only feel that way since I began watching The Wire. Idris is just fantastic!

    Season 2 is great - Andy from True Blood is great in it. Omar will always be one of my favourites from it. Season 2 feels very different as they move away from The Towers, but it's a good season.

    I skipped out on seeing The Raven because the reviews were just too terrible. Looks like it was a smart move.

    Oh and thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is :) I didn't even knew he was British when I started watching The Wire - his American accent was amazing!

      It is quite different, I'm on season 3 now and it is again different too. Very refreshing way of making the series.

      Yeah, the Raven is totally skippable.

      Delete
  19. Sorry for being late to reading this post, but thanks for the linkage. I hope you like the movie when you see it.

    ReplyDelete