Friday, July 13, 2012

(35) All roads lead to San Diego + links

By Sati. Friday, July 13, 2012
  • Today Gustav is 6 months old!
  • I made new header for the blog which I'm really proud of and there are some more changes coming in next week.
  • Thanks to Idris Elba's career choices and the overall poor quality of recent movies, I saw quite a lot of shit this week. First disaster was Mirror Mirror. This film was so bad. The visual side and the animation in the beginning was really nice, Lily Collins was quite all right and Julia Roberts was surprisingly good, but all in all the film was so irritating I actually had to fast forward through certain parts of it. Also this and SWATH managed to make the dwarfs the most annoying part of Snow White's story. Plus the film had so many jokes that felt you should be laughing, but instead you just felt embarrassed for whoever wrote it.
  • Next I saw Prom Night, but you know my feelings about it already. Then I saw Obsessed also with Elba and it was another time I felt embarrassed - not for watching it, because hey, I'm disturbed - but for the characters. As much as his character is just too polite - if the bitch harasses you just call the cops - the stalker character was just awful and the wife - played by Beyonce who really should stick to wearing short skirts and pretending she is singing - was such a typical pissed off sassy black lady with all the "I'll show you crazy, bitch!" I didn't know what to do.
  • You can follow the shit I'm watching on letterboxd - I just set up a profile there.
  • I was going to do a little detox from bad movies for myself last night with Hour of the Wolf and Eyes Without a Face, but couldn't find the time so I will watch those this weekend.
  • Since I started being paranoid that everyone I pass on the street may want to sell me drugs I stopped watching The Wire for few days and started rewatching Arrested Development, which is insanely funny series. Also awesome news there - season 4 is coming in 2013!
  • Lot of great things is happening right now in San Diego, where - you guessed it - one of my favorite things ever and one of the things I'd like to be part of one day - Comic Con - is happening. 
  • A lot of character posters from Breaking Dawn were released and they are just laughably horrible. I mean the faces are so airbrushed they look like cartoons.
  • Also we got really cool new poster and trailer for Frankenweenie:

  • Then the first trailer for Oz: The Great and Powerful, which I think looks absolutely awful even if it has Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams. God of hipsters James Franco really annoys the hell out of me. But even with him in it  this could be good apart from one thing - those visuals look like I imagine my own personal Hell would look like - fucking bright flowers and little happy flying fairies. Kill me now.


links:
  • Dave reminds us about how awesome Breaking Bad is
  • m.brown writes glowing review for Moonrise Kingdom
  • ruth catches us up on the upcoming projects of delicious Gerard Butler
  • SDG reviews wonderful Breathless
  • Pete asks if modern marketing is ruining the movie experience
  • Diana reviews Magic Mike which looks like ton of fun
  • Alex writes about Steven Soderbergh's unique way of shooting movies
  • Jaina allows us to get to know her a little better by answering questions asked by the readers
  • And finally head over to Eternity of Dream and take part in Lesya's awesome NYC in Genres.
 Joseph Gordon Levitt gets ignored by Michael Caine.

48 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Gustav!
    Loving the new banner, very cool!
    "Since I started being paranoid that everyone I pass on the street may want to sell me drugs"..:))
    I really don't like Franco, either, there is just something about him that annoys me!
    Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I can stand him in movies some times but he just irritates me, especially after he hosted Oscars.

      Delete
  2. Love the new header! Sorry you hated Mirror Mirror. Re-watched it earlier this week, and I still love it. It was unabashedly fun. Maybe you would like Stardust (2007) instead, if you haven't seen it. Hope you like Hour of the Wolf. It's so creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did see Hour of th Wolf years ago and really liked it but I want to review it so the rewatch is necessary. I really liked Stardust, it wasn't the greatest but it was very entertaining.

      Delete
  3. Is Letterboxd still in Beta, or have they finally decided it's ready for prime time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is, I'm still figuring the site out, though :)

      Delete
  4. Glad you're gonna be watching Eyes Without a Face. I think it's a magnificent movie. Also, always love Gustav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear wonderful things about it. Thanks, I'll tell him that, sometimes I feel as if he understands what I'm saying :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I like that gif of JGL. BTW, I added you to my contacts on my Letterboxd profile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added you too, you've seen so many films!

      Delete
  6. I am not sold yet on the Great and Powerful Oz. It looks too CGI'd (and I'd forgotten James Franco was in that film...hmmm) I love the Frankenweenie trailer though - maybe Burton's back!
    Yay for Letterboxd - following :)
    Gustav is so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it looks as plastic as Alice in Wonderland, if not more so. Frankenweenie is shaping out to be great, maybe the lack od Depp in the cast will help.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I've wanted to go to the San Diego Comic Con for so long. You should bring Gustav complete with a costume of something.

    The girl in the background of JGL's photo seems so hungry that she eating her finger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should.I could be Catwoman and he could pretend to be the dog that is caring the grenade in one of the scenes in Batman Returns :)

      Haha, just noticed that!

      Delete
  8. Happy (sort of) birthday to Gustav! The header looks very cool! I'm trying to use Letterboxd but totally failing! Thanks so much for another link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm figuring it out too, though it is fun to see what people are thinking of certain movies with all the short reviews that are out there.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  9. Aww poor JGL. I liked Mirror Mirror :P It was so pretty. Loved Armie Hammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very pretty, but too slapstick for me. Hammer was good, though!

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday to adorable Gustav! :D
    Damn, poor JGL.
    Thanks for the linkage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He got extra treats that day so I think it was pretty good birthday for him :)

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  11. haha I can't wait to see Breaking Dawn Part II, it's going to be hilarious. I am not happy about how Oz looks like either, it's really not my style. But I like Franco, I don't care for all the whosay stuff or whatever, but I think he's delivered some truly impressive performances. That said... he looks a bit misplaced in Oz. I mean, it's a completely different role for him, but anyway I'm sure he will do just fine.

    I love the classic horror feel of Frankenweenie's trailer! Is it weird that I see some things that resemble his previous films, or is it supposed to be like that? like the main character of Corpse Bride, and the whole setting of Edward Scissorhands. That's a good looking header, very pop artsy! And happy birthday to Gustav!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I mean it's always funny but this one looks like there will be some ind of war betwen the porcelain vampires. Oh well, maybe at least Stewart will do well playing a mother.

      I really can't buy him in Oz traler, same goes for Kunis, they just don't fit there, kinda like Matt Damon felt misplaced in Brothers Grimm.

      I think it may be intentional, I noticed the similarities too. This one will be so much fun!

      Delete
  12. Idris Elba? man or woman? I feel ashamed not knowing who this actor is. Going to google him or her ( :

    Congrats with the new blog header, and your dog's 6 month birthday! I think you could have a career in web designing or something ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do know him - he was the captain of Prometheus :)

      Thank you! Maybe some day, I'd much rather do this than this boring law stuff :)

      Delete
  13. The header looks terrific -- fun yet very professional at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoo..It goes without saying that banner looks really cool.

    Since I started being paranoid that everyone I pass on the street may want to sell me drugs LOL.. how far have you gone ??

    And Thnks a lot for the link !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, just around the block but seriouslty, after watching two seasons of The Wire everyone looks suspicious to me :)

      Delete
  15. I'm traveling through New England so I'm blog-free for a couple of days, but wanted to stop by and say that the new banner is insanely cool and to thank you for the link as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! New England? I'm so jealous!

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday Gustav! Dogs are the best, aren't they?

    Thanks for the linkage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ywah, today he jumped on my bed and slept on the pillow ^^

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  17. Happy 6th month for Gustav :) Poor JGL got ignored there. I love your new header. I'm planning to change my header as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait to see what you did for your new one!

      Delete
  18. Hi Sati!! Many thanks for the link to my Gerry post, delicious is right :D

    Oh man, I was thisclose to watch Mirror Mirror last night, but we opted for Despicable Me instead (LOVE those minions!!). So it's that bad eh? The trailer certainly looked awful, which is too bad as I generally quite like Tarsem's style.

    I can't stand James Franco either, heh I think I only like him in the Raimi's Spidey movies, he's got nice hair, ahah.

    Those GIFs are too funny!! I'm sure Sir Caine was just in his la la land, ha..ha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!

      At first it wasn't this bad but near the end it totally fell apart for me. The visual side is lovely but the humour was so juvenile and unfunny I don't think even kids would have good time during this movie.

      He does have nice hair indeed ^^

      Caine is so cold to poor JGL :)

      Delete
  19. Just want to tell you that I love your new layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy b-day to Gustav. He is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is ^^ But he is misbehaving a lot :)

      Delete
  21. Header looks awesome! Loved Arrested Development too, can't wait for it to return.

    Also that GIF is hilarious, poor JGL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm rewatching the series now, it's hilarious I can't stop laughing at everything Gob says and does.

      Delete
  22. Aww, poor JGL! Michael Caine is getting old though... he had a moment of amnesia!

    Prom Night is one of the most pointless films I have ever seen. I did see it pre-The Wire watching and as such, I'm wondering why I felt the need to watch it...

    Happy Birthday to Gustav! Bless him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JGL seems to be hurt :)

      pre-The Wire? Hmm, I have an idea for the reason...:)

      Delete
  23. Nice to see you on Letterboxd, Sati! I have gotten addicted to that little site.

    Awesome new banner, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the site, though it only shows my how few movies I'm watching recently:)

      Delete
  24. Gustav is the cutest! If you watch Eyes Without a Face on the Criterion DVD, PLEASE watch the short Blood of the Beasts as well. It’s horrifying but in my Top 10 of all time. Changed my life.

    Also, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definetly see that, "horrifying" and in your "top 10" are both very encouraging :)

      You're welcome!

      Delete