One of the best things about it are four clear themes - for Bruce Wayne, Batman, Selina Kyle and Bane. The ones for Wayne and Batman were created for previous two films, also by Hans Zimmer in collaboration with James Newton Howard. The themes for Selina and Bane are very distinctive and new, the one for Bane using movie's signature choir incorporated into many tracks by Zimmer. Here are my five favorite music moments:
5. Subtle music played when we see Gotham during the night scenes and during Blake's visit to Wayne Manor - On Thin Ice from the soundtrack, Blake Visits Wayne Manor and Back to Batcave on Complete Motion Picture Score:
4. Uncrackable Safe (complete motion picture score) which mixes Selina and Bruce's themes:
3. Batman Chased (complete motion picture score) - combination of Batman, Selina and Bane's themes:
2. No Stone Unturned / Fernet Branca (complete motion picture score) / Rise (soundtrack) from the film's ending, where right after the first track stops there is a few seconds of silence until Alfred looks up and sees Bruce - precisely at this moment Batman theme starts playing:
1. Without the Rope (CMPS) / Why do we Fall? (soundtrack) during Bruce's triumphant climb out of the pit:
I love this soundtrack. I listened to a lot of very good movie scores this year including the ones for Brave, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Looper and Prometheus, but none of those comes close to the wonderful music Zimmer created for The Dark Knight Rises - the music not only adds beauty to many scenes - especially the flashbacks and romantic moments between Bruce and Selina - but also builds up the suspense and excitement in action scenes - such as the final confrontation between Batman, Catwoman and Gordon versus Talia and Bane. The film definitely wouldn't be as great without this masterful music.