Sunday, December 9, 2012

Making the case for Hans Zimmer's score for The Dark Knight Rises

By s. Sunday, December 9, 2012 , ,
Stevee of Cinematic Paradox came up with great idea for a blogathon - since it's Oscar season she proposed that we all make a case for a nomination/win we would like to see happen. Since Anne Hathaway is probably going to win for Les Miserables and I loved her as Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises, my first instinct was to make a case for her. But there is another part of the movie that is brilliant and very under appreciated - the original score created by Hans Zimmer.
One of the best things about it are four clear themes - for Bruce Wayne, Batman, Selina Kyle and Bane. The ones for Wayne and Batman were created for previous two films, also by Hans Zimmer in collaboration with James Newton Howard. The themes for Selina and Bane are very distinctive and new, the one for Bane using movie's signature choir incorporated into many tracks by Zimmer. Here are my five favorite music moments:

5. Subtle music played when we see Gotham during the night scenes and during Blake's visit to Wayne Manor - On Thin Ice from the soundtrack, Blake Visits Wayne Manor and Back to Batcave on Complete Motion Picture Score:


4. Uncrackable Safe (complete motion picture score) which mixes Selina and Bruce's themes:


3. Batman Chased (complete motion picture score) - combination of Batman, Selina and Bane's themes:


2. No Stone Unturned / Fernet Branca (complete motion picture score) / Rise (soundtrack) from the film's ending, where right after the first track stops there is a few seconds of silence until Alfred looks up and sees Bruce - precisely at this moment Batman theme starts playing:



1. Without the Rope (CMPS) / Why do we Fall? (soundtrack) during Bruce's triumphant climb out of the pit:


I love this soundtrack. I listened to a lot of very good movie scores this year including the ones for Brave, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Looper and Prometheus, but none of those comes close to the wonderful music Zimmer created for The Dark Knight Rises - the music not only adds beauty to many scenes - especially the flashbacks and romantic moments between Bruce and Selina - but also builds up the suspense and excitement in action scenes - such as the final confrontation between Batman, Catwoman and Gordon versus Talia and Bane. The film definitely wouldn't be as great without this masterful music.

RELATED POSTS:

22 comments:

  1. Ah, this score is so awesome! I've recently been listening to the score (not the complete score, though) a lot and Why Do We Fall? and Rise basically make up the soundtrack to my 2012. Thanks for taking part in my blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! You should totally check out the complete motion picture score, it's terrific!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely LOVE this music! Especially the way that 2 note bit from the previous films has been adapted for On Thin Ice and made ethereal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful track, really added a lot to the film. Glad you love the soundtrack too!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I haven't seen this movie yet. My family watched it the other night, but as luck would have it, I had to work. By the way, I am really digging the Christmas theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you'll get to see it soon, it's my definite favorite of the year.

      Thanks, I love Christmas so every year there is a Christmas theme on the blog :)

      Delete
  4. Such a great soundtrack! Gets me right in the mood to watch it again. Hans Zimmer is the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it too! People seemed to hate it back when the movie came out, never got why, it's my favorite out of the scores in the trilogy.

      Delete
  5. Completely agree with you. This score is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this soundtrack immediately after I saw the film. I love it, and I threw such a fit when Hans Zimmer lost out on Best Score for Inception. He definitely deserves a nomination this year - though I think Beasts of the Southern Wild has it in the bag so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inception score was also terrific, probably my favorite thing in the movie. I wouldn't mind Beasts score winning, but TDKR is so much better.

      Delete
  7. I listened to this the other day and it really is epic. You can always count on Zimmer to deliver. I haven't seen the film since I saw it at the cinema, but this proper gets me in the mood for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently rewatched it twice in one week :) Still my favorite of the year and Zimmer's music is a huge factor in it.

      Delete
  8. TDKR score is definitely up there as one of my favourite of the year. Selina's theme is so beautiful and unique among all the other score music. Without the Rope sends chills down my spine. Just thinking about it is having the same effect!

    Right there with your with this score, Hans Zimmer for the award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Selina's theme - it really reflects her sneaky, sexy and kind character. I'm so glad you liked the score too!

      Delete
  9. Excellent choice! Definitely one of my favorite scores of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you like the score too, I really hope it will get some attention during Oscar season.

      Delete
  10. The score is brilliant and Hans Zimmer is a master. Not only can he do these dramatic films, but he also did Madagascar 3. That's range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! Glad you like the score too!

      Delete
  11. Two words... Wayne Manor

    Those two words make my hair stand up, first time a score made me fill with so much emotion! Zimmer is a legend.

    ReplyDelete