Thursday, December 13, 2012

Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln and Les Miserables lead Golden Globe nominations

By s. Thursday, December 13, 2012 ,
Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty
Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables
Today we found out who the nominees for Golden Globes are and as usual there were some surprises. Let's just forget about TV categories, because as usual they didn't do anything shocking, except for them snubbing American Horror Story (only one nomination - for Jessica Lange). Oh, Girls and Lena Dunham got nominated,  which means she will probably attend the ceremony which will result in me enjoying it a much less than I would without her there. And The Girl got tons of nominations, which is so funny - it just shows how few TV movies are out there and they are literally forced to nominate average ones.

There were many surprising things among nominees - the lack of Johnny Depp, who is nominated for anything he does, the inclusion of Nicole Kidman for The Paperboy, three nominations for Salmon Fishing in Yemen and Richard Gere appearing as if from nowhere. Meryl Streep got in for Hope Springs, because well, how could she not? I'm thrilled to see Emily Blunt, Amy Adams, Anne Hathaway and Nicole Kidman - some of my favorite actresses - nominated. What saddens me is the lack of love for Seven Psychopaths and lack of nomination for Matthew McConaughey for any of his three wonderful performances.

Here are the nominees:

Best motion picture - DRAMA
Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

What will win? Zero Dark Thirty, though Lincoln may be the real danger to its win.
Shocker - I just still cannot believe how much The Hobbit is ignored this Oscar season.
Best motion picture - COMEDY/MUSICAL
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 
Les Miserables
Moonrise Kingdom
Salmon Fishing in Yemen
Silver Linings Playbook 

What is winning? Silver Linings Playbook or Les Miserables. My bet is on O'Russel's film.
Shocker - Salmon Fishing in Yemen being not only included but also remembered about in Oscar season.
Best Actor, Drama: 
Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln
Richard Gere for Arbitrage
John Hawkes for the Sessions
Joaquin Phoenix for The Master
Denzel Washington  for Flight

Who is winning?  Daniel Day Lewis, soon to be three time Academy Award winning actor as well.
Shocker - Phoenix actually managed to get nominated. Gere being here is such a big surprise and final push I need to see the movie.
Best Actor, Comedy/Musical: 
Jack Black for Bernie
Bradley Cooper for Silver Linings Playbook
Hugh Jackman for Les Miserables
Ewan McGregor for Salmon Fishing in Yemen
Bill Murray for Hyde Park on Hudson

Who is winning? Bradley "what did we do last night?" Cooper!
Shocker - No Johnny Depp, who always gets nominated.
Best Actress, Drama: 
Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard for Rust and Bone
Helen Mirren for Hitchcock
Naomi Watts for The Impossible
Rachel Weisz for The Deep Blue Sea

Who is winning? The lovely Jessica Chastain. I sincerely hope this wonderful actress will collect all the awards this season.
Shocker - Emmanuelle Riva didn't get nominated for Amour.
Best Actress, Comedy/Musical:
Emily Blunt for Salmon Fishing in Yemen
Judi Dench for Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook
Maggie Smith for Quartet
Meryl Streep for Hope Springs 

Who is wiinning? Lawrence has it in the bank to the point I almost wonder why they even bothered with the formality of giving out other nominations.
Shocker - Lovely Emily Blunt getting nominated.
Best Supporting Actor:
Alan Arkin for Argo
Leonardo DiCaprio for Django Unchained
Philip Seymour Hoffman, for the Master
Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln
Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained

Who is winning? Tommy Lee Jones is a good bet here, but I think all of us, perhaps even associated press included, want to see DiCaprio on that stage.
Shocker - No Matthew McConaughey for Magic Mike.
Best Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams for The Master
Sally Field for Lincoln
Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables
Helen Hunt for The Sessions
Nicole Kidman for The Paperboy

Who is winning it? Anne Hathaway, hopefully. She may lose to Sally Field but that's unlikely.
Shocker - Nicole Kidman making it for The Paperboy, which I actually predicted as soon as I saw her in the trailer. Well deserved, well deserved!

Best director:
Ben Affleck for Argo
Katherine Bigelow for Zero Dark Thirty
Ang Lee for Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained 

Who is winning? Bigelow? Or maybe Quentin just to stop him from retiring? No idea here.
Shocker - No Tom Hooper for Les Miserables.

Other nominations in movie categories:
Best Original Screenplay: 
Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln,  Django Unchained, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Original Score:
Anna Karenina, Argo, Cloud Atlas, Life of Pi, Lincoln

Best Original Song - Motion Picture:
“For You”, Act of Valor, “Safe and Sound”, The Hunger Games, “Suddenly”, Les Miserables, “Skyfall”, Skyfall, “Not Running Anymore”, Stand Up Guys

Best Animated Film:
Brave, Frankenweenie. Hotel Transylvania. Rise of the Guardians, Wreck-It Ralph

Best Foreign Language Film:
Amour, Kon-Tiki, The Intouchables, A Royal Affair, Rust and Bone

We will find out who the winners are on Sunday, January 13th. The ceremony will be hosted by Amy Poehler and Tina Fey.

32 comments:

  1. Great analysis. I totally forgot the nods were going out today! Shows where my head is …

    The foreign film category looks pretty good. Of the top contenders I am most looking forward to catching Les Mis and Zero Dark Thirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Oscar season is so packed with all sorts of nomination I actually need to check awardsdaily.com not to get lost every day :)

      I can't wait to see Zero dark Thirty, it's always so great to see strong female heroine in a movie like that.

      Delete
  2. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think Silver Linings Playbook was a Comedy. Anyway, I am very happy that Cooper, Lawrence and DeNiro got nominated, and I am hoping for a Cooper&Lawrence win!
    Also, I was really surprised by the inclusion of Salmon fishing, Gere in Arbitrage and Maggie Smith. Oh, and they sure love their Meryl Streep, don't they?
    p.s. Hoping for Anna Karenina and Cloud Atlas wins, even if only technical, they were lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to see this one, but category placement on Globes have always been weird - for example based on the trailers Django doesn't look like drama at all.

      Deniro isn't nominated :( But I'm sure Lawrence and Cooper will win.

      I have yet to check out Cloud Atlas's score, but Anna Karenina was just decent, I'm pretty surprised about that nomination.

      Delete
  3. Really love the work you put into this. I agree with most of your choices, but I feel if Lincoln is going to still have a say in awards season it should be able to win this.

    For best song IMHO anyways, I really like Safe & Sound and Skyfall. I haven't heard Suddenly yet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think Lincoln is definitely taking Oscars for Tommy Lee Jones and DDL. But considering the subject of Zero Dark Thirty, it will probably be the best picture winner.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post! I'll be curious to see how your predictions hold up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I should really start betting for money with this stuff :P

      Delete
  5. No love for Killer Joe? That's bullshit. MM lost his fucking mind in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both Associated Press and especially the Academy members would have to have medical assistance while watching this one :)

      Delete
  6. Golden Globes, though they have categories for drama and comedy, seem to be harder to predict than the Oscars - I don't know if Hugh or Bradley would win since I consider them the top contenders in that category (I'm rooting for Bradley; he gave an amazing interpretation of the books' main character).
    I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely. Plus many times they chose really surprising winners - Best actor in comedy is actually my favorite category because they tend to chose some really awesome and deserved winners there.

      Delete
  7. Considering that the critical reaction to the Hobbit has been mixed(or at least not as unanimous as the LOTR trilogy), im not surprised it's not getting much award love.

    And i'm still bitter i wasn't able to watch the Paperboy in theaters :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but considering these are the people that actually awarded Avatar with Best motion picture - Drama win (!) I'm quite surprised they didn't fall for big spectacle again.

      Delete
  8. Nice post.

    I suppose the Globes could go for ZDT (and probably will), but I'm wondering if Argo has an outside chance at winning. Can't see Lincoln winning this though.

    Sweeney Todd beat Juno, so I think Les Mis can still beat SLP. Of course, Sweeney Todd did have Johnny Depp, who also won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Lincoln got in for every important category so they always have the charm of actors adding additional points to the film itself. But in Argo Hollywood saves the day, so who knows :)

      I haven't seen Les Mis yet but I bet Sweeney Todd was better. Burton seems to have better grip on musical stuff than Hooper.

      Delete
  9. My old friend from Epinions.com in Daniel Feinberg of HitFix claimed that Lindsay Lohan was going to get a Golden Globe nomination since the Golden Globes does something stupid. He was wrong.

    Oh, and Adele better beat Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift fucking sucks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be too stupid if they did that :) Like "are they high?" stupid ^^

      Haha, I hope Adele wins too :)

      Delete
  10. You forgot the biggest shocker of all. A legend that did some of his best work in quite a long time - Robert De Niro for Silver Linings Playbook. He’s been included on every list, that is until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't surprised but that - Associated Press isn't crazy about DeNiro and this category is probably the most competitive so whenever someone is out I'm not that shocked, at that point it's really up in the air for those guys.

      Delete
  11. Django Unchained nominated? Get's me even more pumped-up to see it. Would love to see Leo win, but rumors are going around that Christoph Waltz gave the better performance. Funny that he'll be in the Best Actor category and not Supporting for the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah those guys really loved Django! I'm seeing it as soon as it's out, I'm not crazy about trailers but it's Tarantino, so I believe it will be good. Waltz and Jackson are getting so much praise but from the looks of it DiCaprio's character is unforgettable.

      Delete
  12. I can't even remember if Johnny Depp did anything this year. Did he?

    Zero Dark Thirty feels like it's come out of nowhere for awards season. Or is that just me with the bag over my head?

    Love hearing your thoughts on all the noms. I've gotten so tired of awards season though. It's all just the same people tooting their own trumpets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had that crappy Dark Shadows movie :)

      It is only premiering now but it was on the radar for some time - after all The Hurt Locker, last movie by Bigelow was such a sensation during Oscar season few years back.

      Thank you! The worst part of this season is how long it will be - Academy Awards are in the end of February O_o

      Delete
  13. Thanks for these predictions. Salmon Fishing in Yemen is not oscar worthy, I agree.
    In my opinion, Q Wallis should have got the nom for Beasts of Southern W, or Emma Watson for Perks, instead of Blunt. Weird that Amour or Rust & Bone have been left out, considering strong female performances in both, maybe they're not eligible, because non-English.

    I'm glad Jack Black got in, he deserved a nomination for Bernie. Surprised The Master is not a best picture contender, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotilliard is in for Rust and Bone, but maybe that's because she is much better known than Riva and the guys who were nominating them just remember her while perhaps they didn't have a chance to see Amour yet.

      Black was great in Bernie, I agree! Though it's a damn shame McConaughey didn't get in, he was awesome in it too.

      Delete
    2. @Sati: You're right, Marion Cotillard is on the list, my mistake.

      Delete
    3. I think she may even have a shot at Oscar nomination :)

      Delete
  14. I don't think it was surprising at all that Phoenix got a nomination. I'm not actually that excited about this years oscar race, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well after his comments about Oscars, it's clear he pissed off the critics and Academy members, he was shut out of SAG nominations, despite his co stars getting in.

      Delete
  15. It's an interesting year. Usually I'm way behind but have actually seen a lot of these. Didn't know Amy and Tina were hosting. That should be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of them, they annoy me a little. I really loved it when Gervais was hosting, the man didn't pull any punches :)

      Delete