Sunday, September 30, 2012

Marion Cotillard Appreciation

By s. Sunday, September 30, 2012
Marion Cotillard 
30 September 1975, Paris, France

Today is 37th birthday of Marion Cotillard, one of the most talented actresses working today. Her parents are both actors and she made her cinema debut in the film L'histoire du garçon qui voulait qu'on l'embrasse (1994). Her first prominent screen role was as Lilly Bertineau in Taxi (1998/), a role which she reprised in two sequels. In 2007, Cotillard received international recognition for her iconic portrayal of legendary French singer Édith Piaf in La Vie en Rose (2007). The role won Cotillard the Academy Award for Best Actress along with a César, a BAFTA Award, and a Golden Globe. That made her only the second actress to win an acting Oscar performing in a language other than English next to Sophia Loren.

After her big break she started to appear in big productions such as Public Enemies, Nine and Inception. This year she played Miranda Tate in The Dark Knight Rises, a role which while being her weakest didn't deserve the massive ridicule it got. She also has another movie this year - Rust and Bone - which appears to be her chance for yet another Oscar nomination for Best Actress.
5 favorite films:
The Dark Knight Rises
Big Fish
Midnight in Paris
Les petits mouchoirs
Un long dimanche de fiançailles

5 favorite performances:
La Vie en Rose
Un long dimanche de fiançailles
Inception
Public Enemies
Les petits mouchoirs

5 fun facts:
  • Spokesperson for Greenpeace. Is also one of several actors, singers, and designers involved in "Dessins pour le climat," an album project originated by Greenpeace and Glénat, available for sale beginning April 2005 
  •  The dress she wore to the Academy Awards (where she won the Best Actress Oscar) was especially designed for her by Jean-Paul Gaultier. 
  •  Was six months pregnant with her son Marcel when she completed filming on Contagion
  •  Three of her films - Jeux d'enfants, La vie en rose and Inception - have featured a song by Edith Piaf - Marion won the Best Actress award portraying Edith in La Vie En Rose.
  •  Is one of 5 French actors to have won an Academy Award. The others in chronological order are: Claudette Colbert for It Happened One Night (1934), Simone Signoret for Room at the Top (1959), Juliette Binoche for The English Patient (1996) and Jean Dujardin for The Artist (2011/I).
RELATED POSTS:

47 comments:

  1. She's so beautiful and so talented. One of the best looking and most talented actresses working today. Her performance as Edith Piaf is one of my most favourite ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of all actresses or just out of Marion's roles?

      Delete
    2. Woah, that's high praise! She would be higher on my all time list, but the choppy script hurt her performance a little.

      Delete
  2. It's those eyes that do it for me. Great post. I would love to find some of her earlier roles

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so undeniably beautiful and brilliant. I especially loved her in Midnight in Paris...I need to rewatch that just for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so charming and delicate in that one! But I do prefer her more complex roles, like Inception.

      Delete
  4. GORGEOUS woman. I loved this photo shoot she did: http://fashioncopious.typepad.com/fashioncopious/2012/09/marion-cotillard-by-jean-baptiste-modino-for-dior-magazine-no1-editorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen many of her films but from what I have, she is certainly been great in them. One of the really beautiful AND talented actresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even The Dark Knight Rises?:) She was all right there, but her death scene was just bad. I can see what she wanted to do but she failed, for the first time among the films with her I've seen.

      Delete
  6. Great tribute! She is breathtakingly beautiful and a very talented actress.
    I like all of her work and her Audrey Hepburn-esque style in Nine was just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      She was the only thing in Nine I enjoyed.

      Delete
  7. Great post! I love your photo collages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There were so many photos to chose from, she has been in many lovely photo shoots.

      Delete
  8. I do love Marion Cotillard. I think my favorite performance of her that I've seen so far is in Midnight in Paris. She was so charming in that film. I wouldn't mind going back in time with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really was! Though for me the most charming one was Lea Seydoux :)

      Delete
  9. Although her other movies stand out more, I loved that you mentioned Big Fish. Her role was small, but I found it quite memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, i couldn't forget this one! My second favorite Burton movie, right after Sleepy Hallow.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed her in 'Jeux d'enfants'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was good, but I didn't like the movie too much.

      Delete
  11. I'm kinda ashamed I still haven't seen any of her movies yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marion is so devastatingly beautiful she's almost out of this world!! I adore her in Midnight in Paris and was really the best thing in NINE, her two musical scenes are the highlight of the movie for me. I'm not too crazy about her performance in TDKR though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her two songs in Nine were really good, she isn't as good of a singer as Kidman in this movie, but her acting was certainly much better.

      Delete
    2. I actually prefer Marion's singing in that film for some reason. Plus her dancing scene was spectacular, yet somehow there's so much emotion in her performance!

      Delete
    3. Ah, the dancing scene was definetly the best part of the movie! It was great to see her so wild after she spent most of the movie being this calm, dignified wife.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful post. How can anyone not love her? She's a talented actress and extremely beautiful.

    Also, it's nice to see some love for "Les petits mouchoirs". I really liked the film and her performance in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! So glad someone saw this one!
      That was such a wonderful, warm movie, I saw it for Dujardin but ended up loving it for many different reasons.

      Delete
  14. I love Marion Cotillard, she's just perfect. I can't believe she's 37 years old. I first saw her in Nine, which she sang. Afterwards, she keep making me admire her more. But I didn't really like her in TDKR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, she looks so muhc younger, doesn't she? There's something about French women - they age a bit differently.

      Yeah, she was kinda....lost in tDKR.

      Delete
  15. I am pretty sure she wants me in that first image.... Yes I am shallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, these are my sentiments whenever I look at pictures of Idris Elba :)))

      Delete
  16. My favorite living actress. I love her to death.

    Thanks for drawing attention to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know she was your favorite! I really like her a lot, can't wait to see her work in Rust and Bone.

      Delete
  17. I'd didn't know about her until her breakthrough with La Vie En Rose. I've seen a lot of her films now and I'm glad that she has been teaming with Nolan on a lot of his films. I'm excited to see her in Rust & Bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only saw her in Very Long Engagement prior to that and she stole a movie with merely few scenes. I can't wait for Rust and Bone too, sounds like an amazing part for her to play.

      Delete
  18. She is an absolutely gorgeous woman. That first, larger picture you posted is incredible.

    I've only seen her in a few things, but I've loved her in everything (even TDKR, ugh). For my money, it's her role opposite Owen Wilson in Midnight in Paris that stands out the most. She was perfect. And sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love that photo of her, she looks so lovely there!

      Woah, even in TDKR? You are a devoted fan then! :) She was very sweet in Midnight in Paris, but for me Lea Seydoux stole the show with her short and magical appearance :)

      Delete
  19. I would murder a child to be with this woman.

    ReplyDelete
  20. She's a beauty indeed. My colleague Red would go mad if he saw this. Best to hide it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, she seems to have many passionate fans :)

      Delete
  21. She is stunning. Fantastic spotlight, Sati. Now I really need to see La Vie en Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The film is so-so but her performance is incredible!

      Delete